• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Pretty sure if the main focus of this game was long requested characters, Sakurai would've made it obvious and clear.
I see the ballot as a little base, or a bit of suggestions if you will, but not the be all end all character decider. I mean Inicneroar already disproves it...
I wouldn't be surprised if the final characters are just little niche additions Sakurai chose just for fun...
Which has been what I've been saying all along: this game is about long-standing requests, with the ballot serving as a good measure of who those requests were. Until Isabelle. I doubt she had a legion of voters in the ballot, nor was she a big request. So now it could go either way.

Arguably Dark Samus disproved that already. Sakurai's said twice that she was apparently requested a lot in the West, but I doubt that heavily. Most Metroid fans voted for Ridley in the ballot, unless you were like me and considered him a lost cause and voted for Dark Samus instead, but even then some other people probably voted for Sylux. Because Dark Samus was announced, and I lost my mind, and probably... a dozen other people, about, also. She's definitely not a huge request, unless there's some silent legion of people who asked and voted for her in the ballot that I've never heard of. Whatever, I finally get a character I really wanted.

D

Deleted member

You do know that Brawl's cycle ended with :ultolimar: and Smash 4's with :ultshulk:, right?
Smash cycles almost never end on a hype reveal...
I mean, that's subjective.

I remember liking Olimar when he was shown off, and I didn't even know what Pikmin was at the time. :p

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Which has been what I've been saying all along: this game is about long-standing requests, with the ballot serving as a good measure of who those requests were. Until Isabelle. I doubt she had a legion of voters in the ballot, nor was she a big request. So now it could go either way.

Arguably Dark Samus disproved that already. Sakurai's said twice that she was apparently requested a lot in the West, but I doubt that heavily. Most Metroid fans voted for Ridley in the ballot, unless you were like me and considered him a lost cause and voted for Dark Samus instead, but even then some other people probably voted for Sylux. Because Dark Samus was announced, and I lost my mind, and probably... a dozen other people, about, also. She's definitely not a huge request, unless there's some silent legion of people who asked and voted for her in the ballot that I've never heard of. Whatever, I finally get a character I really wanted.
I'm aware that he said a few characters were chosen because of how requested, but I don't remeber Richter being that high on polls... It's called marketing, They get the fan requested characters out of the way, that way peopl would be more sure if they like to buy it in advance, and final few characters are little fun extras

and like I said, Incineroar disproves this theory, he wasn't even in the public knowledge at the time of the ballot...
I mean, that's subjective.

I remember liking Olimar when he was shown off, and I didn't even know what Pikmin was at the time. :p
I meant for most people, I was fine with their additions...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wait, this is the final invitational before the game releases? HMMMMMMM

(That is if I'm reading it right)
I don't speak a lot of Spanish so I'm probably wrong but I read the translation like they were only showing off the finals.

Uh, I'm probably wrong lmao

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You do know that Brawl's cycle ended with :ultolimar: and Smash 4's with :ultshulk:, right?
Smash cycles almost never end on a hype reveal...
I mean, speak for yourself. I thought Shulk was one of the most hype character reveals in the entire cycle alongside Little Mac, Robin, and Mega Man. Rosalina, Greninja, and Pac-Man were my least hyped personally. Which sucks, because Pac-Man deserved more fanfare than that. Palutena, Miis, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr. were all known of before their respective reveal trailers so I couldn't really have decent hype for them.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Dark Samus and Isabelle might done good in the ballot. We don't have the results and considering there weren't even a million and a half votes, you don't need a huge cult of supporters to score high, since votes divided between a ton of characters.

Also, Chrom and Inkling streches the "long-standing requests" already.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't speak a lot of Spanish so I'm probably wrong but I read the translation like they were only showing off the finals.

No, you're right. It says "final del invitational". So the final of the invitational.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman

I´m a native spanish speaker and you are right, they will only broadcast the final. Tweet is a bit ambiguous tho.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Smash Bros. is proof that being overly hyped for a game can legitimately drive people crazy.
This isn’t a joke, I genuinely think this thread is a great example of what a mental breakdown looks like. I actually hope some of you get help. Not all of you, but some of you. You know who you are.
Are you trying to say that Vergeben #911 (Codename: Tentacles), who has recently been spending a significant amount of time closely inspecting wooden dolls' poses and bears' freckles and reading other people's opinions on the matters, has a loose grip on reality?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean, speak for yourself. I thought Shulk was one of the most hype character reveals in the entire cycle alongside Little Mac, Robin, and Mega Man. Rosalina, Greninja, and Pac-Man were my least hyped personally. Which sucks, because Pac-Man deserved more fanfare than that. Palutena, Miis, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr. were all known of before their respective reveal trailers so I couldn't really have decent hype for them.
This. Shulk had a large fanbase for Sm4sh, and most people were at least okay with him, minus the anti-"anime swordfighters" crowd (which is a meme).

Lets also not forget about Operation Rainfall, the successful campaign to bring Xenoblade to America, where most of its supporters also supported Shulk for Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
2014: "Marth sucks, Lucina sucks even worse."
2015: "Marth is okay, Lucina sucks."
2016: "Marth is great, Lucina is... not bad. A little worse than Marth."
2017: "Marth is definitely high tier, and Lucina is just as good."
2018: "Lucina is better than Marth. (at least in most matchups)"
On this topic, it still kills me that Martha/Lucina were basically whined into high tier by fans, especially in relation to Ike.

2014: Ike sucks but at least so do all the other Fire Emblem characters.

2015: Ike gets a goofy amount of buffs and is arguably the second best swordsman after Metaknight for awhile.

2016: Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo kill the dream and then Sakurai burns the ashes by giving Marth and Lucina 45 pages worth of buffs.

2017: Ike is basically a dead character at high level competitions despite notably worse characters like Little Mac and Pac-Man still having a prescence.

A least Ike is looking like a literal combination of his Brawl and SSB4 incarnations, his absurd strength and range from Brawl and his comboing and scary aerials from SSB4, meaning he's likely to be a monster this time around.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Smash Bros. is proof that being overly hyped for a game can legitimately drive people crazy.
This isn’t a joke, I genuinely think this thread is a great example of what a mental breakdown looks like. I actually hope some of you get help. Not all of you, but some of you. You know who you are.
If they know who they are, they wouldn't be having a mental breakdown.

Also, you're taking what happens in this thread a little too seriously. Most of us are just passing the time. Our ****posts aren't really indicative of our state of mind. More our boredom.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This. Shulk had a large fanbase for Sm4sh, and most people were at least okay with him, minus the anti-"anime swordfighters" crowd (which is a meme).

Lets also not forget about Operation Rainfall, the successful campaign to bring Xenoblade to America, where most of its supporters also supported Shulk for Smash.
Sometimes I feel like a lot of Smash For newcomers' fanbases are ignored just because they weren't causing drama.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Hmm, remember Moonfall?

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So is anybody thinking if maining a newcomer? I'll try everybody out but I'm very interested in :ultkrool:. Adding a heavy to my team would let me have an alternative style to throw others off. Also interested in :ultridley:, for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No, you're right. It says "final del invitational". So the final of the invitational.
I´m a native spanish speaker and you are right, they will only broadcast the final. Tweet is a bit ambiguous tho.
rock on
i figured that was the nuance

I'm studying Japanese rn so my Spanish was rusty but hey

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
In the event that we do see Incineroar revealed as the Pokemon rep, he would be a major turning point for Vergeben's credibility. I fully expect some people to look back and say "Incineroar was so obvious, anyone could have guessed that" like they did with Simon, Isabelle, and Ridley's reveals in a revisionist manner to discount Vergeben's sources. The reality is that virtually no one was considering him seriously before Vergeben thanks to Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanrock hype. It would be very hard to discredit a leaker who predicted Incineroar, even if his inclusion makes sense in retrospect.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I was really happy when Shulk was announced. Not over the moon in hype but still very pleased. Far from the least hype inclusion though - I was probably most upset over Corrin's inclusion, and if we're talking base roster reactions, I was bewildered by Duck Hunt Dog's inclusion but not really mad per se. He grew on me eventually.

So the thought that Olimar and Shulk were not hype and thus Sakurai doesn't end cycles on hype characters is entirely subjective. I'm sure there were people extremely hyped for both.

I think it is safe to say that those characters are nowhere near the level of a Snake or Sonic level reveal...THAT I can agree to.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
****, the Shulk thread was one of the most friendly, optimistic, fun threads to be in during Smash For speculation. We had a ****ing blast while the rest of the boards was going down in flames hating on each other. We stayed in our little corner speculating and made Riki a god and came up with Ditson and Dixson because back then Dickson was censored, trying to save each other from spoilers that ended up in Smash anywho. I had a lot of damn fun in the Shulk thread and that goes way back to when I first started on these boards. It was insane the amount of bandwagoners the thread got before the Robin reveal too. And we welcomed then all with open arms. The Shulk thread was a blast, man.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So is anybody thinking if maining a newcomer? I'll try everybody out but I'm very interested in :ultkrool:. Adding a heavy to my team would let me have an alternative style to throw others off. Also interested in :ultridley:, for the same reasons.
:ultisabelle: looks really fun, so I'll at least try to main her. Belmonts also have a awesome whip+projectile combo so I might go with :ultrichter: because of his top tier victory animation.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Isabelle in general was an upset for me. Because the pattern's been Inkling (biggest video game franchise in Japan for the past three years), then huge hardcore audience pleasers: Daisy, Ridley, Simon/Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool. Isabelle doesn't really fit into that group, and neither does Incineroar/any Pokemon, so I was skeptical of both.

Now, though, they could add almost anyone. Though I imagine they don't want their last announcement to be "Meh," so I think we're still going to get a huge character as the last announcement, and that wouldn't be a Pokemon. A Pokemon could be announced before, but probably not last.

Personally I think Isabelle is on the same level of popularity as the Inklings when we look at the broader Japanese audience so I expected her, but to each their own.

However your comment about more people voting for Ridley and not Dark Samus is purely speculative. I personally had a theory that Dark Samus actually got more requests than Ridley due to Sakurai's comments during Smash 4, and while his comment about DS being highly requested in the west, it is still just speculative that he is reffering to the ballot or that it had to do with his comments on Ridley.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm aware that he said a few characters were chosen because of how requested, but I don't remeber Richter being that high on polls... It's called marketing, They get the fan requested characters out of the way, that way peopl would be more sure if they like to buy it in advance, and final few characters are little fun extras

and like I said, Incineroar disproves this theory, he wasn't even in the public knowledge at the time of the ballot...
Richter is apparently because he's more popular than Simon in Japan. So they're serving both Castlevania audiences at once, similar to how Chrom and Dark Samus are apparently targeted towards Japan and the US, separately. I wouldn't think that they'd want to make all their most exciting announcements early on and have the ones right before release be the least exciting, but anything can happen.

Incineroar isn't confirmed yet, though, unless there's something I apparently missed.

Dark Samus and Isabelle might done good in the ballot. We don't have the results and considering there weren't even a million and a half votes, you don't need a huge cult of supporters to score high, since votes divided between a ton of characters.

Also, Chrom and Inkling streches the "long-standing requests" already.
You're right, they could've. Hopefully someday they release the results of the ballot, because I want to know if there was some hidden cult of supporters for Dark Samus that I'm somehow not keen to, or if it was literally just me and a few dozen people, and somehow that was enough to get Sakurai's attention.

Chrom's been requested since his game came out, but Sakurai went with Robin because Robin had better moveset potential, yet people still wanted Chrom. Hence, his Mii costume and ultimate inclusion in, well, Ultimate. Inkling I gave a pass because Splatoon 2 is the first console game in Japan to sell over 2 million units in the past decade, so Splatoon is a cultural phenomenon over there. Not having Inkling would be insanity.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392

You're not wrong, dunno if they will show off the rest of the tourney tho. Also it's just another tourney/invitational like those that have been happening in the USA and UK, nothing more special than that.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
****, the Shulk thread was one of the most friendly, optimistic, fun threads to be in during Smash For speculation. We had a ****ing blast while the rest of the boards was going down in flames hating on each other. We stayed in our little corner speculating and made Riki a god and came up with Ditson and Dixson because back then Dickson was censored, trying to save each other from spoilers that ended up in Smash anywho. I had a lot of damn fun in the Shulk thread and that goes way back to when I first started on these boards. It was insane the amount of bandwagoners the thread got before the Robin reveal too. And we welcomed then all with open arms. The Shulk thread was a blast, man.
100% my favorite experience during Smash For speculation. Where's Solfiner's gifs when you need them?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

It's still amazing to me that characters like :ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus: managed to end up playable. It's almost hard to believe, but then Ultimate seems to be about fulfilling the seemingly unrealistic requests. Who really expected :ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: all to end up being part of the base roster for this game when it was first announced, particularly in comparison to characters deemed "safer" for the base roster pre-Ultimate announcement like Spring Man and Rex?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't speak Spanish, though it's similar to Italian enough so I can vaguely understand something.
From what I can read, they will only show the final, from the 18:30 on their Youtube channel.

It doesn't seem like something important, but who knows.

EDIT: it also says this sunday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shulk's reveal wasn't as hype because he was already leaked at the time and his live reveal was Japan-only. He still was an incredibly popular pick and I even remember how he was one of the most obvious after Palutena from Gematsu Part 2.
I didn't play Xenoblade personally but I watched the whole story since I knew he was inevitable and wanted to know him and damn I'm glad I did because it was a treat and I love playing Shulk.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So is anybody thinking if maining a newcomer? I'll try everybody out but I'm very interested in :ultkrool:. Adding a heavy to my team would let me have an alternative style to throw other's off. Also interested in :ultridley:, for the same reasons.
I'll probably enjoy :ultinkling: and :ultsimon::ultrichter:, as well as:ultisabelle:.
And if the rumors are true and
and
are in, I'll probably be playing them a lot too...
In the event that we do see Incineroar revealed as the Pokemon rep, he would be a major turning point for Vergeben's credibility. I fully expect some people to look back and say "Incineroar was so obvious, anyone could have guessed that" like they did with Simon, Isabelle, and Ridley's reveals in a revisionist manner to discount Vergeben's sources. The reality is that virtually no one was considering him seriously before Vergeben thanks to Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanrock hype. It would be very hard to discredit a leaker who predicted Incineroar, even if his inclusion makes sense in retrospect.
Yeah, let's just say whether he's in or not will make a final consensus on Verg. I was already confident with Verg's claims when he predicted Simon Belmont, but a lot of people seem to refuse to believe him...

ncineroar isn't confirmed yet, though, unless there's something I apparently missed.
True, but if he does get in, like he's heavily rumored to, this theory is immediately dead...

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Just some observations on my part:
-Jiggs will be much better, bottom mid at worst, thanks to mechanics alone (nerfed air dodges and a higher % floor for rage to start working)
-Ryu is going to be BUSTED thanks to auto-turnaround, kill confirms out of dash and special cancels out of aerials
As much as Jiggs doesn't deserve it for his excellent placing in Melee (I consider him to be #3), I'm pretty happy he may be getting better. I mained him in Brawl and he was a secondary in For, and it'll be nice to see Jiggly**** do good again.

D

Deleted member

:ultinkling: are gonna be replacing Wario as my main and character I focus on the most. I'm also interested in trying out :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and I'll probably play a fair bit of :ultdarksamus:.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm also really excited to play :ultisabelle:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom