• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Ever heard of Zain?

Edit: so sorry! did not mean to double post. I don't see a way to delete the post...
That's great and all, but your average person just isn't going to blossom like that.

You can't play Melee online without dolphin, you can't play it on a modern TV without input lag, and depending on how big your scene in, you may not get to play versus humans.

Melee won't 'die', but I wholly expect Ultimate to give it a run for its money if the tech is there.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Out of boredom, I decided to Thanos Snap the roster using a random team generator. I separated PKMN Trainer and the Miis into their own separate fighters. Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma were kept together.

:ultrichter::ultmario::ultike::ultlucario::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer::ultchrom::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultlucas::ivysaur::ultdk::ultmiifighters:Brawler:ultjigglypuff::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultlucina::ultmiifighters:Gunner:ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultpikachu::ultgnw::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultfalco::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::4charizard::ultcorrin::ultmiifighters:Swordfighter:ultdoc::ultluigi:

:ultmewtwo::ultbayonetta::ultrosalina::ultpacman::ultness::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultlittlemac::ultdiddy::ultroy::ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultkirby::ultinkling::ultridley::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultbowser::ultrob::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultryu::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultganondorf::ultrobin:ultpit::ultsheik::ultmetaknight::squirtle::ultolimar::ulticeclimbers::ultgreninja::ultvillager::ultpeach:

Interesting tidbits:
-Out of the original 8, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu were the only survivors. If we extend it to the original 12, then we can include Luigi and Jigglypuff.
-Out of all the Pokemon, only Mewtwo, Squirtle, and Greninja were snapped.
-Out of all of the FE characters, only Roy and Robin were snapped.
-Out of the current newcomers, Ridley and Inkling were snapped.
-Original Link was the only Link snapped.
-All Mii Fighters survived.
Man, if only Ridley swapped places with one of the mii fighters. Then I'd have no issues with that.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Because the pros who make money don't want to move on to a new game there's a chance they'll flop at. Because the pool of characters they need to get good and practice against is so much smaller. Because there's no epic wavedashing in Ultimate or glitches that give advantage in general. Because they've invested 10 years in the game for whatever reason and don't want to let go.

I said "I HOPE it will end Melee" not that it will.
Glitches? To what glitches are you referring to?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What press members? Is this about that one tweet by that media relations guy?
Oh, is that what he was? My mistake, didn't mean to spread false info. I felt like there was some kind of test featuring top Smash players tweeting about it too, but I might just be misinterpreting their role.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
The existence of wavedashing is a glitch.
Huh. Dislike wavedashing. Label it as a glitch. I see.

(Even though wavedashing is what has kept Melee alive)

Furthermore, it's not that Melee players might "Flop" at the new game. It's just that they like Melee the best. You DO understand that tech skill is not what makes the best player, right?

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Oh, is that what he was? My mistake, didn't mean to spread false info. I felt like there was some kind of test featuring top Smash players tweeting about it too, but I might just be misinterpreting their role.
You're right about the top smash players/commentators thing, D1 posted this yesterday:

Maybe they did get to play a new build, idk. Still weird that he was so vague about it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Huh. Dislike wavedashing. Label it as a glitch. I see.

(Even though wavedashing is what has kept Melee alive)
Sorry, I was genuinely misinformed on wavedashing. I stand by it being an exploit, if that's good or bad that's up to you.

However, you've yet to refute my other points and admit that it's what keeps Melee alive. Why should we prioritize a game with 10 actually viable characters with the same 10 players who tend to get into finals (exaggerating but you know I mean the Gods) with the same techniques and finales we've seen for over a decade over a fresh new balanced installment.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Out of boredom, I decided to Thanos Snap the roster using a random team generator. I separated PKMN Trainer and the Miis into their own separate fighters. Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma were kept together.

:ultrichter::ultmario::ultike::ultlucario::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer::ultchrom::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultlucas::ivysaur::ultdk::ultmiifighters:Brawler:ultjigglypuff::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultlucina::ultmiifighters:Gunner:ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultpikachu::ultgnw::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultfalco::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::4charizard::ultcorrin::ultmiifighters:Swordfighter:ultdoc::ultluigi:

:ultmewtwo::ultbayonetta::ultrosalina::ultpacman::ultness::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultlittlemac::ultdiddy::ultroy::ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultkirby::ultinkling::ultridley::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultbowser::ultrob::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultryu::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultganondorf::ultrobin:ultpit::ultsheik::ultmetaknight::squirtle::ultolimar::ulticeclimbers::ultgreninja::ultvillager::ultpeach:

Interesting tidbits:
-Out of the original 8, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu were the only survivors. If we extend it to the original 12, then we can include Luigi and Jigglypuff.
Great now I want to see an Infinity Wars version fanfic of Smash Bros.

Also on side note. Yay K. Rool survives. :grin:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sorry, I was genuinely misinformed on wavedashing. I stand by it being an exploit, if that's good or bad that's up to you.

However, you've yet to refute my other points and admit that it's what keeps Melee alive. Why should we prioritize a game with 10 actually viable characters with the same 10 players who tend to get into finals (exaggerating but you know I mean the Gods) with the same techniques and finales we've seen for over a decade over a fresh new balanced installment.
"we"?
I think the melee players are doing it just fine themselves without us needing to help

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Ultimate tourneys are going to be insane

All those possible match-ups!

There's going to be a lot of homework to figure out every single character in the game.

Isn't that the fun part?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Interesting tidbits:
Mr. Sakurai, I don't feel so good...

Out of all the characters in my sig, 2/3 survived.

Of course Dedede survived, he's too perfect to be erased.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please don’t have debates around Melee players vs other Smash players. It does nothing but cause problems.

D

Deleted member

Ultimate tourneys are going to be insane

All those possible match-ups!

There's going to be a lot of homework to figure out every single character in the game.

Isn't that the fun part?
Then suddenly one character has a dumb grab combo and we have to wait for a patch.

:4pacman:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultrosalina:: Lucas I unfortunately don't feel so good...
*Lucas runs to Rosalina hugging her tightly fearing for the worst*
:ultlucas:: No, no its gonna be alright. You're not gonna go!
:ultrosalina:: Lucas remember to take care of yourself...
*Rosalina & Luma gets dusted*
:ultlucas:: ...Mom...
*The other heroes comforts Lucas*

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Melee has more viable characters than smash 4 did. (Cough, Bayo, Cough)

Sakurai: *tear rolls down face*

Most Wanted Character: Tears, really?

Red Skull: They are not for him...

*gets thrown in to assist trophy hell*
Hey, I like that you're from Twinleaf Town! Gen four is my favorite! Can you tell? Haha

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Git gud with shulk
If you're losing to people using "better characters" you just haven't gitted gud enough, damn it
And therein lies the problem. You can only git so gud with a mid/low tier character.

I also don't have time to git gud. I really don't care if I lose most of the time, I just want to play the game, unless you (as a player) are unfun to fight against.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

No one will prioritize Melee, Ultimate will always get top billing by Nintendo just as 4 did in the smash community.

But there's nothing about Ultimate's existence that means everyone should just drop Melee and move on to the new game. You yourself have admitted that the physic engine of both games are vastly different, and thats the main reason why Melee players wont move on. They dont find new smash FUN competitively. You cant force them to play games they dont enjoy playing or watching.

And your assessment that the only reason the game survives is because the "God's" don't want to move on is absolute horse****. The community is more than just the top players, there wouldn't BE a community if it was just the top players. The Melee community is that of people who simply prefer Melee over the other games, despite never topping at a major, or maybe even winning a local. It's made up of people who kept the game alive without any support from Nintendo or anybody else, just out of pure love for the game.

And then there's your point that only few people actually top in Melee, meanwhile the likes of Zain, Plup, Leffen, and others who have only recently come up and began to dominate in the scene prove that false.

Melee will never overtake Ultimate, but why on Earth would you hope for the scene to just die?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sakurai: *tear rolls down face*

Most Wanted Character: Tears, really?

Red Skull: They are not for him...

*gets thrown in to assist trophy hell*
Does this mean Waddle Dee, Elma and most of my other most wanteds get cliffed

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Interesting tidbits:
You kept Jigglypuff but removed Mewtwo? That’s bonkers.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
And therein lies the problem. You can only git so gud with a mid/low tier character.

I also don't have time to git gud. I really don't care if I lose most of the time, I just want to play the game, unless you (as a player) are unfun to fight against.
I know that every mid-low tier main says that their character has "potential", but I actually think Shulk does have unlocked potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom