• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Me? Not to start a religious argument, but I am an atheist, so I don't really need him.
Just fyi it's just a common saying with no real religious connection, and this may make atheism look bad, kinda like saying "I'm vegan" when someone mentions meat. It's unnecessary and gives your religion/community a bad rep. There's a reason "I'm vegan/atheist/cross-fitter" was a meme a while back.

Because Camilla is the only acceptable choice
Camilla getting in would make me switch from defending FE's presence in Smash on every turn to disliking it tbh. We already have a Fates playable character, she's not a protagonist and she has little Minerva or Hector couldn't do.
I'm still lowkey salty she's a ridiculously good unit in Conquest and I just had to use her because I love wyvern riders but I hate her character so much it hurts

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We'll get Bartre as the Axe unit with a Barst echo because they're the only ones that exists according to the average FEH summoning session.

Noipoi

Howdy!
she's not a protagonist and she has little Minerva or Hector couldn't do.
I'm still lowkey salty she's a ridiculously good unit in Conquest and I just had to use her because I love wyvern riders but I hate her character so much it hurts
I know people don't like Camilla, but I never learned why.
Besides her fan-service-y design, why don't people like Camilla?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also what the hell happened yesterday night? That's a huge number of pages.
Menu music for Ultimate got uploaded and people thought it was leaked as Youtube crashed after and they were freaking out thinking that meant there would be more leaks, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, we don't even know for sure if we'll get ANY promotional DLC characters. Keep in mind that we only got one in Smash 4, and that character just so happened to be from FE.

I know it makes sense to imagine a lot of promotional characters getting in, but there's still plenty of other things DLC could focus on. For one, there's a bunch of characters who may have been too late for Smash (Spring Man, Rex, etc.) with games that don't necessarily need promotion. Second, fans will undoubtedly want to voice their opinions on who should get in, so be prepared for something similar to the ballot. Third, Sakurai will probably want to do his own thing with a few of the choices. We could see a few suprise third-parties join to roster.

To sum it all up, don't pull a repeat with Wolf and walk into DLC acting like a certain character is all but confirmed.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ultimate's menu theme was posted (it's an absolute banger), and then Youtube crashed. A lot of people thought the Nintendo Ninjas struck again and freaked out. Then the Smash website glitched out and we decided to just scream out our favorite characters in a moment of pure hype.

It was pretty cool.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So about the Elma video...

>Xenoblade Chronicles X being difficult to recreate

Oof, that’s an oof for sure

But surely, they must still have the source code right? All you gotta do is change the controls, maybe add some content with the existing source code if they still have it and voila

...I think. I have no idea how porting works.

Anyway, imma share that vid in the Elma thread

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Theme song for the main menu was posted by someone who shouldn't have it, and it's a banger.

Canadian bar is doing a no-cameras-allowed Smash demo event tomorrow.

Press members have been able to play a seemingly final version of the game and the box is finished. Game may have gone gold.

Everyone got excited and had fun shouting the names of their pipe dream newcomers and most wanted characters and it was a great, hype vibe all around.

There was a debate on religion after jokes about "putting the Smash in Smash Bros" happened.

There were a few jokes about Chunky Kong.

And now we are debating on what would happen if Thanos snapped half the newcomer roster from each game out of existence and what would end up being the roster of the next game as a result.

D

Deleted member

How many of you think this game will replace Melee? Lol
Not happening. Absolutely no way. What will be interesting to see is what will happen when Smash 6 happens. Will people jump to that one, or will Ultimate be good enough that people will stay? I've got real life, so I intend to make this my last Smash game, but we'll see how that goes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

But surely, they must still have the source code right? All you gotta do is change the controls, maybe add some content with the existing source code if they still have it and voila

There's still hope for our gal. Let's not give up!

D

Deleted member

Theme song for the main menu was posted by someone who shouldn't have it, and it's a banger.

Canadian bar is doing a no-cameras-allowed Smash demo event tomorrow.

Press members have been able to play a seemingly final version of the game and the box is finished. Game may have gone gold.

Everyone got excited and had fun shouting the names of their pipe dream newcomers and most wanted characters and it was a great, hype vibe all around.

There was a debate on religion after jokes about "putting the Smash in Smash Bros" happened.

There were a few jokes about Chunky Kong.

And now we are debating on what would happen if Thanos snapped half the newcomer roster from each game out of existence and what would end up being the roster of the next game as a result.
I was the one who started the Thanos talk.

D

Deleted member

God I hope so.

So damn sick and tired of the Melee comp scene, it's all gotten stale as hell. I want a glorious Ridley v. Steve finale at EVO fought on a beautiful Battlefield stage; not another damn Jigglypuff v. Fox finale.
I mean, for as much as I don't care for Melee, Ultimate will be at EVO for sure. There's no need to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What makes Ultimate so much better than Melee? I'm just curious.
70+ characters and 100+ stages for one.
On top of this, there will be so many more genuinely viable characters. As a spectator, it's gonna be damn fun to watch with the effects they're adding, the beautiful graphics, and the Ultimate roster. Also, new fresh players for the scene.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
New theory yo!

Book theory.
Book Theory's not new since we've had that since August. I haven't brought it up much because it's more stretching than chairs (haha jk nothing is more stretching than chairs). That being said, there were a couple times it gave me pause with the brownish-bluish-redish colors giving a Banjo & Kazooie vibe. But, again, I'm biased, so I shrug it off as fan-based pareidolia.

Still, I like Merch Theory for Banjo. Microsoft going back to their N64 designs for merch this year seems... suspicious at the very least. While it doesn't sound like a Microsoft/Rare decision, it does sound like a Sakurai decision. Could it be wrong? Absolutely. Does it give me hope? A lil bit.

Don't they look beautiful in their N64 glory.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It seems to mostly be a budgetary+size thing...costs money to port and revamp the engine and assets, not to mention the Wii U-specific controls and features such as the way the map had to be used on the tablet to go from place to place. There's still hope but it's definitely a bit of a blow to hear it hasn't been worked in. Still they want it so maybe XC2's success will make it possible.

Shroob

Sup?
What makes Ultimate so much better than Melee? I'm just curious.
To me, Melee's honestly technically amazing..... but I've grown hella bored watching it.

And don't even think about trying to break into the scene. A newbie who wants to actually git gud is going to have to compete against other people with a decade of experience and tech over them, while getting all the muscle memory down for said tech........ and CRTs are just not fun to lug around.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Book Theory's not new since we've had that since August. I haven't brought it up much because it's more stretching than chairs (haha jk nothing is more stretching than chairs). That being said, there were a couple times it gave me pause with the brownish-bluish-redish colors giving a Banjo & Kazooie vibe. But, again, I'm biased, so I shrug it off as fan-based pareidolia.

Still, I like Merch Theory for Banjo. Microsoft going back to their N64 designs for merch this year seems... suspicious at the very least. While it doesn't sound like a Microsoft/Rare decision, it does sound like a Sakurai decision. Could it be wrong? Absolutely. Does it give me hope? A lil bit.

Isn't that a First 4 Figures statue?

That looks amazing!

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
On top of this, there will be so many more genuinely viable characters. As a spectator, it's gonna be damn fun to watch with the effects they're adding, the beautiful graphics, and the Ultimate roster. Also, new fresh players for the scene.
Why then, do you suppose, Melee has lived THIS long? Melee will undoubtedly live on even once Ultimate comes out.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
To me, Melee's honestly technically amazing..... but I've grown hella bored watching it.

And don't even think about trying to break into the scene. A newbie who wants to actually git gud is going to have to compete against other people with a decade of experience and tech over them, while getting all the muscle memory down for said tech........ and CRTs are just not fun to lug around.
Ever heard of Zain?

Edit: so sorry! did not mean to double post. I don't see a way to delete the post...

Last edited:

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman

I thinl Banjo is cute don't get me wrong but...

Those human hands and feet, especially on this sculpt...

...Gross

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why then, do you suppose, Melee has lived THIS long? Melee will undoubtedly live on even once Ultimate comes out.
Because the pros who make money don't want to move on to a new game there's a chance they'll flop at. Because the pool of characters they need to get good and practice against is so much smaller. Because there's no epic wavedashing in Ultimate or glitches that give advantage in general. Because they've invested 10 years in the game for whatever reason and don't want to let go.

I said "I HOPE it will end Melee" not that it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom