• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I know it's EXTREMELY late for the games coming out next year that arent smash youre hyped for thing but has anyone else seen this one

...on second thought ill just say Project Judge- Story Trailer. Probably a bit.. not Family site Friendly.. But it looks so friggin good.

Like if Yakuza, Daredevil, and Ace Attorney had a baby.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I expect nothing tomorrow. I'm not falling for the hype.
I think we're absolutely on the verge of getting something soon, but it's too late to get anything THIS week, I feel. All signs are pointing to the Canada thing not being Direct or (new)Smash stuff.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Nothing is going beat that. It was satisfying after the mii costume treatment in Smash 4 and hours before the direct we were all panicking because of the no DK newcomers fake leak from Vergeben and then BAM KING K. ROOL COMES ABOARD!!!
To be fair, maybe Verge simply didnt know he was in.

But yeah, I do recall that day.. Personally I had a hunch it was the perfect time for reveal K Rool and then saw the Direct, I remember yelling "that is not funny" at Dedede, and then it happened.. King K freaken Rool appeared!! King K Rool was always one of my most wanted characters for Smash since forever and I am so happy he is here.. So looking forward to playing as him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's hoping some loser doesn't post footage from a review copy early.

Because you all know it's going to happen.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Nothing is going beat that. It was so satisfying after the mii costume treatment in Smash 4 and hours before the direct we were all panicking because of the no DK newcomers fake leak from Vergeben and then BAM KING K. ROOL COMES ABOARD!!!
Personally I think Steve, Master Chief, Banjo, or Goku would top that just because it would be like WTFFFF (although K Rool certainly was too). I do realize that Steve and Goku are very polarizing characters so some people would be very mad, but definitely shocked regardless.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah it's a pretty bold move for Sakurai to opt for a spoken word segment mid-theme, I originally thought it might be a bit jarring, but it's not too bad. Clearly he cares a lot about acquiring Geno, not every character would get their own shout-out in the main theme. Not even Mario!
Okay so this is part of a meme I'm not understanding, got it

osby

Smash Obsessed
This thread: "WHAT'S HAPPENING JGHJDSAAPVBH@GHAK"
Me: "Aw man the update was a unsatisfactory Flash Man remixL
Sakurai wasn't joking when he said Mega Man and Fire Emblem were popular among the composers.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Personally I think Steve, Master Chief, Banjo, or Goku would top that just because it would be like WTFFFF (although K Rool certainly was too). I do realize that Steve and Goku are very polarizing characters so some people would be very mad, but definitely shocked regardless.
No mere Saiyan monkey will top King K Rool.. For he is Kooler than Goku.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Here's hoping some loser doesn't post footage from a review copy early.

Because you all know it's going to happen.
Oh it's going to happen, but revoew copies won't be THAT widely available until we know the entire roster (and probably what Spirits Mode is).

So at worst, we'll just see some more minor details.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Steve, Master Chief, and Goku would break the internet. Banjo is expected, in the sense that he's a big request and was once a second-party Nintendo IP. But all the others have little to no association with Nintendo (Master Chief's only connection is the Halo content in Minecraft on Switch), so they'd be completely out of left field.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Honestly, there's only 3 characters I can say with a straight face I expect for DLC thus far. Those being Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, and Crash Bandicoot.
To be honest, I would sooner expect the main character from FE 3 Houses before Crash.

And still the hype champion, King K Rool!!
I found Ridley the most hype out of Smash Ultimate's newcomer reveals so far, but K. Rool's reveal was great too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Steve, Master Chief, and Goku would break the internet. Banjo is expected, in the sense that he's a big request and was once a second-party Nintendo IP. But all the others have little to no association with Nintendo (Master Chief's only connection is the Halo content in Minecraft on Switch), so they'd be completely out of left field.
Banjo expected, Steve not. What forum have you been on?

I know your reasoning is the others are more third party and less requested--but I feel like that's more of a linguistic trick. The most expected characters are the ones on everybody's prediction lists, and there's way more with Steve on them than Banjo (thanks to Hitagi).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, real talk.

I'm starting to really like Corrin's design and kit.

Please help me.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

I know your reasoning is the others are more third party and less requested--but I feel like that's more of a linguistic trick. The most expected characters are the ones on everybody's prediction lists, and there's way more with Steve on them than Banjo (thanks to Hitagi).
Keep in mind most people here are looking for those off the wall Sakurai WTF picks, it's why obscurer characters are brought up and talked about more often than your Rayman or your Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Kazooie is more expected I'd say by the general public, not those keeping up with leaks and the such. Meanwhile the hardcore smash community hear that there's minecraft in the new game, so we're all anticipating that perhaps Steve is in.

EDIT: This isn't to say the general public wouldn't pop off more to Steve than to Banjo, cause they def would. I mean to say most don't even associate Minecraft with Smash unless the leaks are brought up (besides... you know, memes)

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There's nothing wrong with you, you're just finally seeing the light.
But I haaaaaate Faaaaaaaates.

I just feel dirty enjoying myself. I've started playing Smash 4 again with the goal of learning Peach before Daisy becomes a thing, and instead I find I'm having a really good time playing as Corrin.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Steve's only expected because of the Vergeben leak where he says that Minecraft content is in the game somewhere, but never says anything about Steve being a completely playable character. I consider it highly unlikely, given that Steve has absolutely zero personality. You can't make a full-fledged character out of that. All the characters in Smash have some form of personality, but Steve literally has no facial expressions.

A lot of people thought Octolings were a shoe-in as well, but that's been pretty dead in the water since the August Direct.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Steve's only expected because of the Vergeben leak where he says that Minecraft content is in the game somewhere, but never says anything about Steve being a completely playable character. I consider it highly unlikely, given that Steve has absolutely zero personality. You can't make a full-fledged character out of that. All the characters in Smash have some form of personality, but Steve literally has no facial expressions.

A lot of people thought Octolings were a shoe-in as well, but that's been pretty dead in the water since the August Direct.
If Sakurai can bring personality to R.O.B and G&W he can do it with Steve

Noipoi

Howdy!

I just feel dirty enjoying myself. I've started playing Smash 4 again with the goal of learning Peach before Daisy becomes a thing, and instead I find I'm having a really good time playing as Corrin.
You can like a character that came from a crap game. Especially in Smash, where that shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm officially read to learn the final pieces of information about this game. No more secrets, no more speculation, just get me hyped up.

I am so excited for this game's Classic Mode, that at this stage I don't care about too much else. Custom built Classic paths is all I've ever wanted from Smash, and knowing that it's been built and had care put into it is huge for me. Especially after Smash 4's Classic was genuinely not fun to play.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You can like a character that came from a crap game. Especially in Smash, where that shouldn't matter.
I know. I'm more just whining because I finally got mah girl in, and I'm trying to get used to Peach's kit, but instead I go off and get frustrated, play Corrin for a bit instead and find she fits like a glove.

I wasn't in the competitive community for Smash 4 the way I was with Brawl, so I only played it very casually after the first few months. I missed out on playing most of the DLC characters. So Corrin feels like a new character and I really like her, dammit. Why is Daisy a goddamned Peach clone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Verg wasn't what made me expect Minecraft content(nor Steve?). It's him being a gaming icon(though I less expect Steve? than Minecraft content in general), as well as the series' huge gaming status. It's the only Microsoft content I feel is practically guaranteed overall. Though it doesn't mean other stuff has no chance or anything like that. I could easily see B&K and Master Chief show up in some form too. They just aren't in the same boat right now. Namely, Minecraft clearly has been working with Nintendo in the past years, so it seems likely it'll happen, which gives Minecraft an edge over the other two series right now. There's an actual visible connection between it and Nintendo right now.

Verg and Hitagi are just a bonus at this point.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You can hate something and still like certain aspects of it. I hate Fate's story, but I love Conquest's gameplay. I dislike Corrin's writing within the context of Fate's story, but I love how freaky and weird their Dragon form is. There's nothing wrong with that. No need to feel dirty.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, Verg wasn't what made me expect Minecraft content(nor Steve?). It's him being a gaming icon(though I less expect Steve? than Minecraft content in general), as well as the series' huge gaming status. It's the only Microsoft content I feel is practically guaranteed overall.
I dunno man. Marcus Fenix seems like he's a perfect pick for Smash.

I'm telling you guys. Sleeper pick.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
If Sakurai can bring personality to R.O.B and G&W he can do it with Steve
Perhaps. Sakurai does love challenging himself like that. Though R.O.B. had the benefit of being included in SSE, where he could be given story and personality through the cinematics, as well as eyes that could at least be animated, and Game & Watch has a series of wacky games to draw inspiration from.

Steve's just a completely blank character that most people replace with their own skins. He can't even make facial expressions. The humor and soul of Minecraft comes from the world and the creatures, not the player characters. That's why a stage or Assist Trophy make more sense than a playable character.

Honestly, Verg wasn't what made me expect Minecraft content(nor Steve?). It's him being a gaming icon(though I less expect Steve? than Minecraft content in general), as well as the series' huge gaming status. It's the only Microsoft content I feel is practically guaranteed overall. Though it doesn't mean other stuff has no chance or anything like that. I could easily see B&K and Master Chief show up in some form too. They just aren't in the same boat right now. Namely, Minecraft clearly has been working with Nintendo in the past years, so it seems likely it'll happen, which gives Minecraft an edge over the other two series right now. There's an actual visible connection between it and Nintendo right now.

Verg and Hitagi are just a bonus at this point.
Especially after Minecraft got such a big push right after the Switch came out. Nintendo knows how big Minecraft is, so they made sure to get it on the system ASAP. And it was the first game that allowed playing between Xbox and Nintendo, so if there's any Microsoft game that has a chance of being represented somehow, it would make sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom