• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
The Champion abilities would translate pretty well in a Smash moveset, I'm just not sure if they should go to Link or Zelda. If they are incorporated in a moveset, I don't see a Champion making it as a playable character at that point anymore. Just have to wait and see how things turn out.

I'd also like to think that there would have been inside information about what they're going to do with ARMS: the plan was clearly to promote the game as a "must have" on the Switch with its own Direct and all, and it did indeed end up selling really well for a new IP. And they continue to promote it still with a nother Global Test Punch coming. Wanting it to kick off real well, an appearance in Smash would seal the deal and something like that could probably have been decided early on seeing as their plans was to go big anyway. But what do I know, here's just hoping Spring Man (or whoever) makes it in, ARMS is a great game and deserves (and needs) recognition.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I got a fresh leak for y'all.

There will be either a free update or a DLC release on January 21, 2019.
Now, I wasn't told what said update/DLC was, but to my knowledge, it involves someone who made his debut in the original Smash.
Part of me is thinking this could mean that one or more of the Original 12 didn't make the roster and are being released as a free update or DLC, which I really hope isn't the case.

But this is still a leak; I'll be waiting to see if it holds water or not.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
The Champion abilities would translate pretty well in a Smash moveset, I'm just not sure if they should go to Link or Zelda. If they are incorporated in a moveset, I don't see a Champion making it as a playable character at that point anymore. Just have to wait and see how things turn out.
I think they would belong to Link. I can see Zelda keeping the Oot moveset while Link gets a brand new one with the Champions' abilities as his specials.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That's just one thing that's wrong with his moveset.
It literally takes almost no inspiration from canon.
Part of that has to do with Sonic being rushed at the end of Brawl's development, and as such a lot of his attack animations are borrowed from other characters.

Still doesn't excuse why he wasn't updated in Smash 4 though.

Morbi

Scavenger

I'd also like to think that there would have been inside information about what they're going to do with ARMS: the plan was clearly to promote the game as a "must have" on the Switch with its own Direct and all, and it did indeed end up selling really well for a new IP. And they continue to promote it still with a nother Global Test Punch coming. Wanting it to kick off real well, an appearance in Smash would seal the deal and something like that could probably have been decided early on seeing as their plans was to go big anyway. But what do I know, here's just hoping Spring Man (or whoever) makes it in, ARMS is a great game and deserves (and needs) recognition.
Link has plenty of other inspiration and Zelda, well, she took the goddess spells. I suppose it COULD go the other way, but I would not bet on it.

All I know is that there are not many (feasible) Nintendo characters on par with Spring Man. It would be highly suspect if he were not around.

D

Deleted member

Finally Ness will get his Sans costume.

This is something we've been asking for since the original Smash Brothers on the NES, it's food Nintendo is finally listening to fans.
I meant someone who literally debuted in the original Smash. :p

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Now, I wasn't told what said update/DLC was, but to my knowledge, it involves someone who made his debut in the original Smash.
Ice Climbers will be replaced with a playable 12-character-in-one Fighting Polygon Team. Reggie just filled me in. I’m in class and he’s my Physics teacher so I just asked him.

D

Deleted member

Part of that has to do with Sonic being rushed at the end of Brawl's development, and as such a lot of his attack animations are borrowed from other characters.

Still doesn't excuse why he wasn't updated in Smash 4 though.
I'm aware of that.
Too bad we'll probably be stuck with it forever because Sakurai doesn't like changing old characters :/

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
OK now THAT makes things interesting....

oh wait....

PLEASE don't tell me they're going the Street Fighter V route and not putting Classic Mode in the base game...
Classic Mode is my favorite Nintendo character. I love to make drawings of him in my spare time.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Since we've swung back into Zelda discussion...

Tingle should be the new "Zelda" rep. With his own icon and victory theme, kinda like Yoshi is to Mario.

Hyrule Warriors just made me want him even more. :p

D

Deleted member

Since we've swung back into Zelda discussion...

Tingle should be the new "Zelda" rep. With his own icon and victory theme, kinda like Yoshi is to Mario.

Hyrule Warriors just made me want him even more. :p
Then he wouldn't be a Zelda rep.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Synchronization is not going to work because of Ganondorf. Honestly, with Shiek and Toon Link presumably coming back, or just in the first place, I have no idea where that idea came from in the first place. Well, I do, Melee, obviously; however, why it translated to Brawl, I will never know. Nobody will, probably not even himself. The concept art argument only gets you so far when you have a chibi version of Link on the roster.
Synchronization with botw shouldn't be hard at all. They did it for sheik in brawl, and should be able to do it for ganondorf here. I'm sure there's concept art of botw ganondorf laying around. Sheik can just use the sheikah stealth outfit plus the sheik amiibo turban.

The Zelda series has always been on the sane page with the exception of toon link, and that's for obvious reasons. Toon link himself represents a different chapter in the Zelda series, and that's why he stays that way. Outside of him, the others are always uniform even if extra work has to be done to keep them that way.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I would honestly really like some ARMS representation in Smash 5, even if it's just a stage and no playable characters. Could make for a great battleground and some awesome music.
The game has such good music. It’s main theme I’ve been listening to for sometime.

D

Deleted member

The Legend if Zelda Breath of the Wild has plenty of Moveset opportunity. With Link and Zelda and their champion equipment . Wouldn't mind seeing that incorporated into their move sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
The Legend if Zelda Breath of the Wild has plenty of Moveset opportunity. With Link and Zelda and their champion equipment . Wouldn't mind seeing that incorporated into their move sets.
I wonder if Calamity Ganon will have some sort of representation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but that leaves the Sheikah Runes out. So we ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT FURTHER QUESTION need the addition of Impa. Because that would make the world a much better and nicer place for all of us.

D

Deleted member

What the hell are you on about, Golden?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Wha- Why would any of the OG 12 not be playable?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
For a new Zelda rep, personally I'd like to see Tetra.

A sword & gun pirate character with an attitude, that gives Toon Link another character in their style? Butternut Squash? Yes please!

Wha- Why would any of the OG 12 not be playable?
I believe them to be referring to the fighting polygon team.

Last edited:

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
On topic of new third party characters, i would absolutely love to see Dante from the Devil May Cry series in Smash. Shame he probably has less than 5% chance of getting in, lol

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
On topic of new third party characters, i would absolutely love to see Dante from the Devil May Cry series in Smash. Shame he probably has less than 5% chance of getting in, lol
I feel like we all have that one super obscure video game character we know from our childhood, and of course the thought of them making it in smash always crosses the mind at some point.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm hyped for playable metal mario!

Imagine what happens when HE grabs a metal box. Double metal.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Yeah but that leaves the Sheikah Runes out. So we ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT FURTHER QUESTION need the addition of Impa. Because that would make the world a much better and nicer place for all of us.
I was thinking about it, and I realized that if they choose to go with Impa, and her design is based off botw, she’ll probablt end up looking like Paya, since she’s her granddaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom