• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Probably not very good, as that would increase the development time by a good amount.
I had an idea; what if the stages for Break the Targets were the individual character's "associated stage," like Wii Fit studio for Wii Fit Trainer?

Then, they just put targets in places/patterns on that stage that would be possible but challenging for that character to get to, maybe adding a few additional obstacles, but not a full blown individualized obstacle course?

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
You're saying this from the perspective of someone who lives in 2018. The roster was likely decided in 2016 and just like we didn't get Olimar in Melee or Wii Fit Trainer in Brawl, it's very possible we won't get Spring Man or Ribbon Girl.
True enough.

If they don't show up initially tho, they will for sure be DLC. I'm counting on it!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You all thought I was done with Smash polls? I only took a short break because of all the Smash Switch hype and I had to wait for the activity to slow down after it blew up. So here we are back to covering Fire Emblem.

Anyways, Mae was the winner to the last Echoes poll. Berkut had a decent amount of support, then we have Saber beating Gray dead last. So decent poll.

Next up is a poll focusing on the First Generation of the Genealogy of the Holy War, just the main Lord couple and the main antagonists. Your picks are Sigurd, Deirdre, Manfroy, and Arvis.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good luck.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
True enough.

If they don't show up initially tho, they will for sure be DLC. I'm counting on it!
Sure. But, I'm actually kind of hoping there isn't DLC this time. Just like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I want the full thing right off the bat.

I couldn't be more grateful for DLC in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, but this time I don't wanna see anymore extras at the bottom of the character select screen lacking custom moves and other content. I want a fully established cast from beginning to end. But, I'm up for DLC not regarding characters.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
Ok, how about this for a transformation character? Kiran, as what would basically be Pokemon Trainer 2.0.
Instead of the other idea of him being a Summoner-type of fighter, have him stay in the background and act as the Tactician for the Order of Heroes.
Alphonse, Sharena and Anna, each with a different weapon, with Down B being used to switch between them.
Alphonse is slow but strong, focused on killing moves.
Sharena is the balanced one, having better reach than the other two.
Anna is the agile but frail one, being good at racking up damage.

Also, Lance and Axe users because it's long due.
I was thinking if Kiran was in they should be more like Yuna from dissidia 012 where they would call heroes just for a move. Like calling a pegasus or wyvern rider for the upB, or a mage for a side or neutral B. Though just having a breidablik item would be cool too.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Sure. But, I'm actually kind of hoping there isn't DLC this time. Just like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I want the full thing right off the bat.

I couldn't be more grateful for DLC in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, but this time I don't wanna see anymore extras at the bottom of the character select screen lacking custom moves and other content. I want a fully established cast from beginning to end. But, I'm up for DLC not regarding characters.
I am fairly certain they were testing DLC last time specifically for this game. I expect a lot more this time around.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably the only one who likes transformation characters. I like the character archetype, but I also hate it when multiple versions of a character are playable as different slots.

However, I think I want Charizard to stay its own character.
Yourself in FE Heroes. Then Sakurai can put in all the Fire Emblem characters he wants.:troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saw this over on reddit, but I figured people here might enjoy it. You know, to get into the spirit of things.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The more I think about an ARMS character and the time development being potentially started in 2016, the more I think he will appear as a playable character as DLC and not in the base game. I have this small amount of hope clinging he will be in the base game, but the more the potential development things, I feel I am clinging to false hope. He could be a last-minute addition somewhat like Sonic in Brawl that was decided in 2017 due to the success of the game, or he could just be a costume for DLC in the worst case scenario, somewhat like the Inkling Mii costumes for Smash 4 DLC. Arms to me is the very definition of a 50/50 chance situation.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I don't think Break the Targets for each character (or, to make it a bit simpler, one for each Franchise) would be that difficult.

Especially if they have something like Brawl's Stage Builder, then they could easily make one for each with that. And just ad some different backgrounds, some franchise visuals that fits, or just go silly like in Melee's BTT. I mean, if one for each franchise, it'd not be too hard. ^^

Also, I really want a expanded Melee Adventure Mode. Have it like this

There's, like, 10 Stages. Each with branching paths. First stage is a Platformer level like the Mario and Zelda ones in Melee. Have one Mario and one Zelda and one from another franchise, with some scenarios in there like, again, in Melee.

Then there could be a branching path where you will flee from something. Have that Earthbound Statue that was in Brawl (sorry I forget the name), and a Odyssey T-Rex and the Samus Returns Diggernaught as things that will chase you.

And so on and so on. Have levels where you have to survive hordes of Nintendo enemies, or even make unique sequences from actual Nintendo games. They could totally make a Salmon Run section where a horse of Salmonids attacks and you have to grab Eggs and throw on the basket. And then some Bosses and yada yada, and it would be amazing.

That would be a great Adventure Mode with lots of reasons to play again and again.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
I feel like going the "Splatoon 2" route and making it not quite a port, but a similar physics engine along with everything else a sequel needs, would be the best thing to do for Sma5h. My wishes would to be that it has a story mode like brawl, a re-vamped classic mode, and king boo. (My top 3 wishes) Also, I REALLY don't want Sakuri to be the head director of it. Nothing against the guy, he is awesome. However, he needs a break. I feel like he should definitely be somewhat in charge, but not #1. I do have my hopes up for all of the things I mentioned, though.

Last edited:

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
I would honestly really like some ARMS representation in Smash 5, even if it's just a stage and no playable characters. Could make for a great battleground and some awesome music.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind "Transformation" characters if they're done well.

And they haven't been done well, honestly.

Pokémon Trainer wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for that Stamina gimmick and the poorly executed type advantage system.

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Break the Targets for each character (or, to make it a bit simpler, one for each Franchise) would be that difficult.

Especially if they have something like Brawl's Stage Builder, then they could easily make one for each with that. And just ad some different backgrounds, some franchise visuals that fits, or just go silly like in Melee's BTT. I mean, if one for each franchise, it'd not be too hard. ^^

Also, I really want a expanded Melee Adventure Mode. Have it like this

There's, like, 10 Stages. Each with branching paths. First stage is a Platformer level like the Mario and Zelda ones in Melee. Have one Mario and one Zelda and one from another franchise, with some scenarios in there like, again, in Melee.

Then there could be a branching path where you will flee from something. Have that Earthbound Statue that was in Brawl (sorry I forget the name), and a Odyssey T-Rex and the Samus Returns Diggernaught as things that will chase you.

And so on and so on. Have levels where you have to survive hordes of Nintendo enemies, or even make unique sequences from actual Nintendo games. They could totally make a Salmon Run section where a horse of Salmonids attacks and you have to grab Eggs and throw on the basket. And then some Bosses and yada yada, and it would be amazing.

That would be a great Adventure Mode with lots of reasons to play again and again.
Absolutely agree. An Adventure Mode with the Smash 4 engine (if Smash 5 reuses it, of course) could be awesome.
By the way, the Earthbound Statue is named "Porky Statue". ;)

Morbi

Scavenger
The more I think about an ARMS character and the time development being potentially started in 2016, the more I think he will appear as a playable character as DLC and not in the base game. I have this small amount of hope clinging he will be in the base game, but the more the potential development things, I feel I am clinging to false hope. He could be a last-minute addition somewhat like Sonic in Brawl that was decided in 2017 due to the success of the game, or he could just be a costume for DLC in the worst case scenario, somewhat like the Inkling Mii costumes for Smash 4 DLC. Arms to me is the very definition of a 50/50 chance situation.
Honestly, I could see DLC, probably the first one announced, at that.

I still believe Arms is prominent enough among, well, anything Nintendo related and quirky enough to make it in the base game. I believe we can all agree that when everything is said and done, there will be a playable Arms character.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Anyone else feel like Zelda is gonna get a major rework in this game?

I find it pretty hard to imagine BotW Zelda shooting fireballs and teleporting while doing all those animations based around her having a dress with the Twilight Princess model.

Is that just me?

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice

I find it pretty hard to imagine BotW Zelda shooting fireballs and teleporting while doing all those animations based around her having a dress with the Twilight Princess model.

Is that just me?
I believe that as well. Same goes with Link.
If Link has a weapon breaking system through... lol

Morbi

Scavenger

Is that just me?
I have some sort of BWS and simultaneously believe that the Legend of Zelda series will remain exactly the same, or receive heavy edits. It makes sense, and I want it. But would he? He has never really given the series any degree of respect outside of including it and his weird obsession with having a younger Link on the roster (not trying to say anything about that), so I somewhat doubt it.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

Is that just me?
It depends on the direction Sakurai would like to go with this. Will he aim for synchronization again or will he scrap that in favor of more individual Zelda game representation? I can see Smash!Zelda keeping her TP appearance.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Is that just me?
BotW Zelda should use Champion Spirits for her specials for at least a visual change.

Instead of generic magic sparkles, Zelda should use miniature spiritual/magic forms of the three dragons in BotW.

Morbi

Scavenger
It depends on the direction Sakurai would like to go with this. Will he aim for synchronization again or will he scrap that in favor of more individual Zelda game representation? I can see Smash!Zelda keeping her TP appearance.
Synchronization is not going to work because of Ganondorf. Honestly, with Shiek and Toon Link presumably coming back, or just in the first place, I have no idea where that idea came from in the first place. Well, I do, Melee, obviously; however, why it translated to Brawl, I will never know. Nobody will, probably not even himself. The concept art argument only gets you so far when you have a chibi version of Link on the roster.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
TBH, given the different circumstances between Sonic's addition in Brawl (high demand in the U.S.) and Spring Man's potential addition in Smash Switch, I think ultimately, if he were to be considered in the base game, will the gameplay potential Spring Man provides be enough for Sakurai to add him as a last minute addition? I feel there are still several factors like last-minute 'relevant' clones that could be higher priority than Spring Man. I feel the exact thing Spring Man needs in order to be in the base game is large demand also. But since ARMs debuted at a time where the Smash ballot was already done, will Spring Man even be a last-minute consideration?

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I have no doubt that zelda will have her botw appearance in this next game. I mean, it would be ridiculous not to. Maybe I'm biased, but I wouldn't care if cappy didn't appear in this game, though. And honestly, it would be just downright boring if zelda kept her tw look. I mean, that would make three games in a row. Ouch.

Edit: "tw"? I meant TP, laughing out loud.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Absolutely agree. An Adventure Mode with the Smash 4 engine (if Smash 5 reuses it, of course) could be awesome.
By the way, the Earthbound Statue is named "Porky Statue". ;)
Thank you kindly, I really have to play those games sometime. XD

I really like the idea of having various types of scenarios in a Adventure Mode like that. Platformers, Boss Battles, Hordes, Chases, maybe some Puzzle levels and of course bonus levels and so on. Add in some interesting, short cutscenes and it'd totally satesfy my desire for a Story Mode. ^^

One Bonus level needs to have Shulk, Mario, Link and Wario in their sexiest trunks costumes, just doing various taunts in the background.

For reasons.

Morbi

Scavenger
TBH, given the different circumstances between Sonic's addition in Brawl (high demand in the U.S.) and Spring Man's potential addition in Smash Switch, I think ultimately, if he were to be considered in the base game, will the gameplay potential Spring Man provides be enough for Sakurai to add him as a last minute addition? I feel there are still several factors like last-minute 'relevant' clones that could be higher priority than Spring Man. I feel the exact thing Spring Man needs in order to be in the base game is large demand also. But since ARMs debuted at a time where the Smash ballot was already done, will Spring Man even be a last-minute consideration?
If you put it like that, I almost do not even want him in the game. Sakurai butchered Sonic. But then again, unlike Sonic who does not literally just spin... Spring Man, well, he kind of does just stretch his Arms. Maybe it would not be so bad.

I feel as though Spring Man would be more of a Corrin. Daddy Nintendo would probably request it themselves and as far as I can tell, they usually get what they want, eventually.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Is that just me?
Link & Zelda will probably remain roughly the same, with Zelda's goddess powers replaced with the powers of the champions. Link will probably have a magnet instead of a hookshot and Ganondorf might be reworked entirely.

D

Deleted member

I got a fresh leak for y'all.

There will be either a free update or a DLC release on January 21, 2019.
Now, I wasn't told what said update/DLC was, but to my knowledge, it involves someone who made his debut in the original Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
Thank you kindly, I really have to play those games sometime. XD

I really like the idea of having various types of scenarios in a Adventure Mode like that. Platformers, Boss Battles, Hordes, Chases, maybe some Puzzle levels and of course bonus levels and so on. Add in some interesting, short cutscenes and it'd totally satesfy my desire for a Story Mode. ^^
Yep, adventure mode would be extraordinarily cool if it had bosses. I myself would LOVE to see Giygas as a boss in this mode, as much as that could be disturbing for some. Seriously, that fight gives me chills to this day.
Maybe also have Co-op mode. Playing through Classic Mode with some friends was a total blast. Imagine Co-op Adventure.

One Bonus level needs to have Shulk, Mario, Link and Wario in their sexiest trunks costumes, just doing various taunts in the background.

For reasons.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Morbi

Scavenger
After years, i still don't know the difference between Side and Down Special, except that Side Special does a tiny jump at the start, lol.
Ditto. I read the wiki once to try and figure it out, and there is a subtle difference; however, as you probably imagined, I forgot. It is not as though I even play him enough to warrant figuring it out either. The only time I play Sonic is when random select forces me to. And even then, sometimes... :GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think what I will do is put Spring Man in my prediction roster. If he does not get revealed when the release date comes near, I will drop him from my roster. I feel in the case of relevance and promotion, Spring Man would likely be one of the first characters revealed for Smash Switch. Since Smash Switch was revealed alongside the new IP character Inklings, now would be the best time to promote Arms with Spring Man with the competitive tournaments and support Nintendo is doing right now. That is a pretty safe bet, I personally would advise every Spring Man supporter to consider that and the previous things I said about Spring Man for their prediction rosters. It is easy bragging points for you and me. :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After years, i still don't know the difference between Side and Down Special, except that Side Special does a tiny jump at the start, lol.
That's just one thing that's wrong with his moveset.
It literally takes almost no inspiration from canon.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think what I will do is put Spring Man in my prediction roster. If he does not get revealed when the release date comes near, I will drop him from my roster. I feel in the case of relevance and promotion, Spring Man would likely be one of the first characters revealed for Smash Switch. Since Smash Switch was revealed alongside the new IP character Inklings, now would be the best time to promote Arms with Spring Man with the competitive tournaments and support Nintendo is doing right now. That is a pretty safe bet, I personally would advise every Spring Man supporter to consider that and the previous things I said about Spring Man for their prediction rosters.
I agree with your sentiment, if he is not here for e3, I am probably going to question his inclusion myself. But for the time being, I am going to stick with my original theory that he is likely af.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Man, I hope they bring back directional airdodges. I feel like that would help the game in a positive way.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I got a fresh leak for y'all.

There will be either a free update or a DLC release on January 21, 2019.
Now, I wasn't told what said update/DLC was, but to my knowledge, it involves someone who made his debut in the original Smash.
Finally Ness will get his Sans costume.

This is something we've been asking for since the original Smash Brothers on the NES, it's good Nintendo is finally listening to fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom