• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PF9

Smash Lord
I had another idea. The ability to create character "stables" like the ones in Pro Wrestling.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Would anyone miss 8-Player Smash though? Not trying to crap on someone's favourite feature, but 8-Player Smash was kinda the worst and just a big old chaotic mess.

Plus, it was like 70% of what was wrong with Classic mode.
Agreed, I don't need 8 player Smash. Maybe 6 would be more than enough.

D

Deleted member

They shouldn't put Decidueye in because he's a grass type.
They should put him in because he's awesome and because he'd be the first full archer in Smash.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
So, my younger brother just commented on what he would like to see in the next Smash, which is cool, he is 14 at this time, and last time, during Smash 4 DLC speculation, I remember him saying; "I think Ryu from Street Fighter should be a character", and I remember me laughing going by; "Yeah, right, that would be cool, but I do not see that happening.", what do you know? Same day, Ryu confirmed for Smash.

So, today he told me that King K. Rool will be next, together with eventually Daisy and Dry Bowser.

^
The Prophet has spoken.
Really looking forward to Dry Bowser. <3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Would anyone miss 8-Player Smash though? Not trying to crap on someone's favourite feature, but 8-Player Smash was kinda the worst and just a big old chaotic mess.

Plus, it was like 70% of what was wrong with Classic mode.
One way to fix the 8-player Smash issue is to not have it be a thing in Classic mode.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, my younger brother just commented on what he would like to see in the next Smash, which is cool, he is 14 at this time, and last time, during Smash 4 DLC speculation, I remember him saying; "I think Ryu from Street Fighter should be a character", and I remember me laughing going by; "Yeah, right, that would be cool, but I do not see that happening.", what do you know? Same day, Ryu confirmed for Smash.

So, today he told me that King K. Rool will be next, together with eventually Daisy and Dry Bowser.

^
The Prophet has spoken.
Really looking forward to Dry Bowser. <3
Same day as Ryu's E3 reveal or same day as the datamine leak?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're clearly saving the Ridley reveal to coincide with the announcement that they're localizing Mother 3.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
1. Nothing is "needed"
2. Characters should get in for who they are, not what they are.
Who they are? They're the dramatic foils for our heroes. Characters who are usually powerful, charismatic, and possess a wide array of interesting powers (aka probably great for Smash). Happy?

I mean, I'm all for variety, and there are almost no Smash characters that I dislike. I just think the villains are being shortchanged, and a lot of dramatic potential is being left on the table. Some of the franchises feel a little incomplete without one.

I mean, you're going to tell me that Samus being able to go up against the fire-breathing space dragon that killed her parents, or her destructive, corrupted doppleganger isn't AT LEAST as enticing as her fighting an owl or a wooden puppet?

Except Dark Pit has never been a villain.

Neutral third-party antagonist is the most "villainous" he's ever been.
And that's what I mean. Very few pure villains.

Bowser, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf = Pure villain
Dedede, Wario = More greedy than actually evil
Meta Knight, Dark Pit = Rival/antagonist
Mewtwo = The anime/tragic backstory make some think of him as one, but he's really no more or less evil than any other Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

I don't doubt it, I straight up don't believe it.
Anyone who does is setting themselves up for disappointment imo

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's a reason why 3DS had the far better Classic Mode, after all. :p

And honestly, modes in general, really. Even All-Star is better there since chronological order makes much more sense than reverse chronological order.
Personally I think it'd be nice to have both, which could've been easily implemented. Just to shake up the order, it gets pretty monotonous when you're running through it with all the characters. Especially on 7.0+ :p

HOLY SHIDLEY IT'S RIDLEY!

I'll believe it when I see it/take with salt etc.

If people are making this up, that just seems cruel at this point, lol. But if not, oh boyyyyy.

They're clearly saving the Ridley reveal to coincide with the announcement that they're localizing Mother 3.
Don't make fun, that one is actually happening.

D

Deleted member

Who they are? They're the dramatic foils for our heroes. Characters who are usually powerful, charismatic, and possess a wide array of interesting powers (aka probably great for Smash). Happy?
That wasn't my point.
If every newcomer in the next game was a villain but K. Rool and Ridley weren't added, would they still matter?

I mean, you're going to tell me that Samus being able to go up against the fire-breathing space dragon that killed her parents, or her destructive, corrupted doppleganger isn't AT LEAST as enticing as her fighting an owl or a wooden puppet?
Yes I agree, they should bring back boss battles. :troll:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Do you think people forget the previous sentence once they start reading the next?
Ever heard "seeing the forest for the trees"? If all you do is look at single sentences, then you missed the entire argument. You want to look at the individual logs rather than the house they built.

Morbi

Scavenger

I mean, I'm all for variety, and there are almost no Smash characters that I dislike. I just think the villains are being shortchanged, and a lot of dramatic potential is being left on the table. Some of the franchises feel a little incomplete without one.

And that's what I mean. Very few pure villains.

Bowser, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf = Pure villain
Dedede, Wario = More greedy than actually evil
Meta Knight, Dark Pit = Rival/antagonist
Mewtwo = The anime/tragic backstory make some think of him as one, but he's really no more or less evil than any other Pokemon.
Not going to lie, I would rather have the puppet (and I strongly dislike the idea of Geno) or owl over a "destructive and corrupted doppelganger." That trope is tired af.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The link isn't working for me, what about this leak is noteworthy?
Emily Rogers is backing it. The issue is that while she's been right in the past and does have connections, not all of those connections give her good info, so it's more hit or miss.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The link isn't working for me, what about this leak is noteworthy?
Sounds like a bunch of credible people of ResetEra, a guy called RycE (or something) and Emily Rogers are saying that Ridley is in. They also apparently leaked Captain Toad for Switch.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
That Jonneh guy works for GameXplain though. I mean.. Emily Rogers got some "predictions" right previously, so this is something to at least consider, but not to jump into definitive conclussions right away.
With that said, Sakurai has always been very considerative with Smash fans and this would not be the first time he achieves something he previously stated as impossible or incredibly difficult.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ever heard "seeing the forest for the trees"? If all you do is look at single sentences, then you missed the entire argument. You want to look at the individual logs rather than the house they built.
You also don't ignore a hole in your wall just because your house is still inhabitable.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I believe if Ridley was going to be in the initial trailer, he would be revealed by now. I don't think he'd be saved for later. JUst because someone was credible in the past doesn't mean they will be credible on things like this, or everything even.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I honestly wouldn't mind something like this. It will keep the game fresh for a very long time.
As long as the launch won't be so bare-boned like SFV, i'm all for it.
It would certainly extend the lifespan of the game. It would be like getting character reveals and then playing them shortly afterwards.

This really doesn’t seem like something Sakurai would do. The man is a total perfectionist, and he was hesitant to even include DLC in Smash 4. I doubt he would take such a drastic turn in direction with this series, especially when Nintendo has so much riding on their big name sellers. I also doubt Sakurai wants to be holed up working on the same game for years on end after it’s release.

Besides Sakurai, Nintendo games as a whole rarely rely on large scale DLC. This idea would be way out of Nintendo’s playbook, and they must know something like this would piss of fans and ward off potential sales.
Nintendo is changing though and we might seem them adopt this sort of practice, controversial as it may be, in the future. Probably not up to a Capcom-level but it could be implemented with Smash as the test subject. Maybe the success of the DLC content won some people high up. That being said, Sakurai does have a lot of power but would he be able to content with the powers that be? But yeah it would piss up fans.

The only thing that makes me question this is Nintendo has generally not utilized these kind of models. When it comes to monenization they usually take quite a while to change to newer business models. They took much longer to start using DLC, Season passes, and that's like only in the last few generations. I'm not sure people would respond well to the SFV model very well in this particular case.
It wouldn’t be well-received. It wasn’t just a theory that I think hasn’t been explored yet. People seemed caught between either it being an ehanced port or a new game but very few arguments are being made as it being both.

I would be fine with this if it had a new engine. Most people don't care as long as there are a ton of new characters, but I want new mechanics more than anything.
With a game that is constantly updating and adding new content, mechanic changes could happen for frequently through player feedback. More frequently and maybe more successful than what we saw in Smash 4.

Anyways, my idea of it being both an ehanced port and a new game through periodic updates and character and content additions is just a theory and does seem way out of Ninty’s playbook and embodies the antithesis of Sakurai’s game design theory. I brought up it considering how quickly Smash was revealed after Smash 4 and how soon it will be playable gave me an inkling that it could be an progressive update model.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I trust Emily Rogers. As much as you can trust any credible leaker. Not enough to take this without a massive grain of salt, because Ridley, but... she's been right far more than wrong, especially as of late.

I don't suppose anyone has to link to where she corroborates this though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom