• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I thought the majority agreed it would most likely be Smash 4.5
I look at it like this; at the end of the day it hasn't been confirmed, so we can speculate, but to say it's 100% one way or the other is getting ahead of ourselves.

With that being said I think we gotta look at what constitutes a port vs a new game...

In my opinion, if it's the exact same graphics and physics engine, and most of the characters are still the same... I don't care how it's marketed... it's still a port.

It depends on what your definition of port is.

It'll probably have enough new content to easily justify being a called a new game... but if it's bones are still Smash Wii U... it's just an updated Smash Wii U in my opinion...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I certainly miss Ivysaur. I used to love playing as him. He wasn't 'good', but I loved his aerials and bullet seed against CPUs.

Squirtle was fun too. In fact, 'zard was my least favourite of the trio.

Lucky they fixed that in Smash 4.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Here are my responses to your character predictions
Bold roster prediction:
No cuts - Unlikely
Inkling (Confirmed)
Spring Man - Good possibility
Rex - Good possibility
Decidueye - Pokemon so I dunno
Rayman - You mean Rabbids ;)
Shovel Knight - Hmm, I'm guessing not
Takamaru - Hmm, 50/50
Dixie Kong - I wish
King K. Rool - No :'(
Isaac - 30%
Captain Toad - 60%
Bandana Waddle Dee - %60
Celica - Who? lol
Rhythm Heaven character - 50%
Isabelle - 40%

Wolf and Crash as DLC characters.
ICs don't return due to 8-player Smash.

I call it.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
@Lampy
I'm also thinking there won't be any cuts. The fact that their were so many reports of a Smash Wii U port on Switch leads me to believe that eventually the project took a turn closer to a sequel, but all the data is already their so there really isn't any reason to cut anyone for reasons other then to make the roster smaller, which literally makes no sense from any stand point other then maybe to keep the game competitive, but we already know that's not Sakurai's focus.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
The great thing about a new Smash game is that you can tell who lives in reality and who still thinks K. Rool will get a slot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pushing towards the MCU doesn't preclude eliminating the entirety of the X-Men in a series they were tentpoles of.

Moreover, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have also been excluded from video game properties as well, yet they would not conflict with brand synergy. What they do conflict with is Fox. Plus, the creators of the X-Men comics have been told to refrain from creating new characters, as Disney would not hold the rights to them in film. And the comic world doesn't even abide by the same synergy.

It's a very idealistic stance to believe Disney has not coerced Marvel into sidelining the characters a competitor profits from, especially since the Marvel "brand" would be no less valuable should the mediums than can include the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Dr. Doom, etc... include them. The Disney brand could be.
I mean, Disney has outright said that Marvel is virtually autonomous. I know they could technically be lying, but it's something to consider. That and Ike Perlmutter being at the helm of a lot of the merchandising and licensing side of things is likely the bigger issue. The guy's notoriously hard to work with and has some, let's say controversial views, and has tried to sway the brand in certain directions. I have no doubt he's a major factor in the disconnect.

Basically a lot of it is ultimately Perlmutter's call, which is why I don't think MvC:I is a good predictor for how Sora in Smash would work out.

D

Deleted member

I never understood why people assumed Ivysaur was a girl.
Here are my responses to your character predictions
You're probably gonna eat your shoe.
Yes I know I'm being cocky as ****

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Hypothetical what-if scenario.
How would you react, or feel about this.

Zeraora is first officially revealed and announced not in a Pokemon related medium, but in a Smash trailer.
Following the announcement of him being playable in Smash a distribution event would take place.

This thought crossed my mind only because I feel Zeraora is bound to be announced at some point this year. (Likely not Smash related but, for fun lets say it is)

I could see Sakurai pulling a Greninja for this Pokemon.
Ehhhhh it might not work that well for an already established Gen. Unlike Greninja who was chosen to lead Gen 6 wayyy before anything Gen 6 was shown Gen 7's already got multiple pushed Pokemon with the starters, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc. An unreleased Mythical pokemon appearing at the back end of Gen 7 is unlikely to be that popular.
He's also the best starter Pokemon, fight me if you disagree.
Square up, let's go, Primarina is the queen here.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The great thing about a new Smash game is that you can tell who lives in reality and who still thinks K. Rool will get a slot.
Well he got a Mii skin, so he's certainly in Sakurai's mind, as well as being a popular character within at least this fairly significant corner of the community...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pushing towards the MCU doesn't preclude eliminating the entirety of the X-Men in a series they were tentpoles of.

Moreover, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have also been excluded from video game properties as well, yet they would not conflict with brand synergy. What they do conflict with is Fox. Plus, the creators of the X-Men comics have been told to refrain from creating new characters, as Disney would not hold the rights to them in film. And the comic world doesn't even abide by the same synergy.

It's a very idealistic stance to believe Disney has not coerced Marvel into sidelining the characters a competitor profits from, especially since the Marvel "brand" would be no less valuable should the mediums than can include the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Dr. Doom, etc... include them. The Disney brand could be.
I feel it necessary to bring up Capcom as guilty in this situation as well. Looking at their past failure, SFV, it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility to say that Capcom was responsible for the game being rushed. MvC:I has roster problems, absolutely, but the games problems go far beyond that. The game is fundamentally flawed in so many ways that lumping all up to characters is avoiding the rest of the problems that persist alongside it.

However, this does lead into a good Smash example. If this were a reboot, with less characters, it would receive Infinite levels of hate because to the vast majority of people characters are the most important part of the game. It may not be in from-the-ground-up fighting games where every character is original and is created to fit their specific purpose but in big crossover games like Smash and MvC they most definitely are.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
That best buy link a few pages back seems to indicate that the next game will simple be called super smash bros.
I have an idea, though.

Super Switch Bros!

Edit: *simply

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That best buy link a few pages back seems to indicate that the next game will simple be called super smash bros.
I have an idea, though.

Super Switch Bros!
That Best Buy link means absolutely nothing beyond they're taking pre-orders. Just because it doesn't say (working title) doesn't mean that's the official name. Retailer websites frequently have inaccurate information because, just like us, they aren't told everything.

Yeesh I just bit on the Jebait of the century.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, Disney has outright said that Marvel is virtually autonomous. I know they could technically be lying, but it's something to consider. That and Ike Perlmutter being at the helm of a lot of the merchandising and licensing side of things is likely the bigger issue. The guy's notoriously hard to work with and has some, let's say controversial views, and has tried to sway the brand in certain directions. I have no doubt he's a major factor in the disconnect.

Basically a lot of it is ultimately Perlmutter's call, which is why I don't think MvC:I is a good predictor for how Sora in Smash would work out.
It's worth noting, yeah, there are probably many moving parts, but I can't imagine there aren't some general parameters which Disney has set and which Marvel is then freely able to autonomously operate under.

And honestly I forgot this was originally about Sora in Smash, lol. Well, yeah, he doesn't have ulterior motives to contend with, his inclusion, while complicated legally, would be straightforward in intent. Also it's an entirely different branch of Disney.

I feel it necessary to bring up Capcom as guilty in this situation as well. Looking at their past failure, SFV, it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility to say that Capcom was responsible for the game being rushed. MvC:I has roster problems, absolutely, but the games problems go far beyond that. The game is fundamentally flawed in so many ways that lumping all up to characters is avoiding the rest of the problems that persist alongside it.

However, this does lead into a good Smash example. If this were a reboot, with less characters, it would receive Infinite levels of hate because to the vast majority of people characters are the most important part of the game. It may not be in from-the-ground-up fighting games where every character is original and is created to fit their specific purpose but in big crossover games like Smash and MvC they most definitely are.
I would place the blame on most of the technical aspects on Capcom, yes. They seemed to rush this and reuse as much as they could. Perhaps Marvel could've intervened should they have provided some of the budget, but I really could only guess as to the fiduciary details. Even should Marvel be overbearing about which characters they would allow on their side of the roster, there would still be a wide swath of characters in general that could've made the overall roster much less redundant and much more palatable, and I think the onus there is more on Capcom.

Like I said before, MvCI seems like it was a culmination of two companies' worst qualities.

But yeah, if and when Smash gets rebooted, they need to be super tactful, as many characters will be shed or changed in the process. They would definitely need some new compelling hook, or at least a lot of past fan favourites to offset the backlash. Though ultimately, if a solid, well-made game (which every Smash is), eventually people will accept it for what it is. And therein lies some of the difference from MvC:I, as even with a reboot, Smash would still be treated by Nintendo with the utmost care and respect (perhaps even more than normal). I think that would keep it from reaching MvC:I levels, but who knows, the Smash fanbase is pretty rabid and reverent of the roster.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not too sure if implementing Dark Matter would be smart in any way, as its core, Zero, is among the bloodiest characters in the Kirby series.
I think that is what makes him such a good character! Kirby is known to be a happy go lucky character. Even the 'villain' we have, who is actually just an antagonist at times, is a big Santa Penguin.

Let's get gorey and ruin the lives of speculative Kirby fans!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not gonna lie I was gonna make a triggered post until I read the next page.

ggs

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So, pretty late, but what was that leak thing?

Did a guy really put his dad's job in danger only to say Smash is a new game with no more details? lol

I never understood why people assumed Ivysaur was a girl.
I think it is because its voice sounded feminine in japanese.

Pretty stupid reason to think it is female IMO.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, pretty late, but what was that leak thing?

Did a guy really put his dad's job in danger only to say Smash is a new game with no more details? lol

I think it is because its voice sounded feminine in japanese.

Pretty stupid reason to think it is female IMO.
I don't think it's really anything. Probably not even worth discussing. Even if if his dad really does work for Nintendo, he could be lying, or his dad could've been guessing. Even if it's "Smash Bros for Switch: Deluxe" it's technically still a separate entity, so it would be a "different game" according to the big wigs.
We need another Gematsu :'( (JK we don't)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean another Gematsu would be fun tbh. I don't want everything leaked, but a few leaks could lead to some good fun.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The hypest moment was when that leak was destroyed :4falcon:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Honestly I they give it a new and cool subtitle. Smash 4 has always sounded so lame to me compared to "Brawl" or "Melee", or even "Project M".
There’s loads of names they could go with:
Strife
Ultimate Fighter
Battle Royale
Crackdown (I’d lol if this was it)
V (even though not a name I think it’d look cool)
Ultimate Battle
Colossal Tournament

Personally I think Strife or Ultimate Fighter could be cool

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Yeah i'd be down for some leaks lol, but i feel like we'll start getting info soon. Considering its out this year theirs not much time for a hype cycle so nintendo will have to do some big moves quick.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think that is what makes him such a good character! Kirby is known to be a happy go lucky character. Even the 'villain' we have, who is actually just an antagonist at times, is a big Santa Penguin.

Let's get gorey and ruin the lives of speculative Kirby fans!
I'm just fortunate that Magolor, Magolor's second phase, Magolor EX, and Magolor Soul, are all a lot more tame than the likes of Zero and 02. And the biggest sense of irony is knowing that Return to Dream Land was rated E10+.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Please call him He Who Must Not Be Named *shudders*
There was an even worse one, but I don't remember his name. He was some guy with "insider" information, and he leaked stuff on Twitter. He was called out by a bunch of people on here, and he even had a Smashboards account and defended himself on here. Any memory of that? I'd remember his name if I heard/read it. (Not witch hunting, just a funny memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom