• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Brawl survived without Mewtwo and SSB4 survived without Snake.

As much as it hurts to see a character you like get cut, I highly doubt anyone is going to be offended to the point where they boycott Smash Switch just because Cloud or Bayo isn't in it.
In fact, there may be more people who are offended if Bayonetta IS in it.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
In fact, there may be more people who are offended if Bayonetta IS in it.
As someone who hated that she was added in the first place, I would be disappointed to see her gone now. I can't imagine she returns in a similar state to what she is now anyways, considering how divisive she is in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Also "there are more people who are offended by the fact she's in"?
You do realize that she won the ballot, right?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Real Talk: Do you think Bandana Dee has a shot this time around? I remember you were engaged in... "lively" conversations about him (And I think I made a parody picture splash screen that you didn't appreciate).

I would call you crazy now... but we got Duck Hunt Dog, so anything is possible haha
It's gonna be close. He's playable in Star Allies, which is definitely a huge boost in his chances. However, we don't know how far into the future Sakurai was looking when he chose the newcomers. It could be anywhere from before the Switch even launched to as far as MP4 or FE16.

Knowing when that cutoff is for adding newcomers would greatly help us determine Bandana Dee's chances.

I guarantee you that Sonic contributed heavily to sales, which is a big reason why we got him back. There has never been a character more wanted than him and on top of that, he's the mascot of Sega, the former rival to Mario. He's also among the most important franchise in video game history for that reason and what keeps Sega's light on the gaming business when their niche franchises cannot. Sonic is their bread and butter and the deal favors Sega and Nintendo far more than it hurts.

I see where you are coming from but consider the expectation Nintendo has to sell Smash. All five games, especially Brawl and 3DS & Wii U, are incredibly successful games that raked in hundreds of millions of dollars and each game have only gotten a bigger budget. That means the stakes are higher than the previous game and the same likely applies to Smash for Switch. Smash, the third or fourth biggest IP (after Mario, Pokémon, and maybe Zelda) is not just a huge franchise, it's a pillarstone that defines each console generation for fans. Smash even affects franchises' future - Fire Emblem being the most prominent example - and set the bar that all crossovers and fighting game series have not even gotten close to follow. When you have thirteen million dollar sales, even supposedly minor mistakes can have major consequences for the franchise and Nintendo as whole. Smash needs to not only thrive, but be the premiere crossover event of the generation and third-parties help with that. To survive would defeat the purpose of making Smash a crucial Nintendo franchise

That's why removing third-parties all together are a bad decision. Even if most of us would buy it again, a significant minority would not. Even cutting Sonic will result in a lot of missing customers because now they don't get to relieve the Mario vs. Sonic rivalry in the latest game. Now imagine no third-parties and you remove one of the biggest hype factors for the game, adding on to disgruntled customers who reasonably expect third-parties. If Nintendo are hoping Smash for Switch will sell 10+ million copies, they may not be able to achieve that without third-parties.
Fair enough, but I still say you're over-exaggerating the impact third-parties have on sales. I don't think cutting Cloud will snowball into something as major as Nintendo losing over 2 million sales of Smash Switch.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious now as to thoughts on new Kirby characters. Is there enough of a demand for someone new, or are we satisfied with Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede?

Personally, I'm fine with the line-up we already have. When I was younger, I wanted a REAL Kirby villain added (I don't think of Dedede as a true villain), so I advocated for Dark Matter, in his swordsman form with Zero as a Final Smash.

Since then, Bandana Dee has established itself to a point where many would call him a "main character," and I think he has an interesting enough moveset and fighting style to work with that would be unique to Smash Bros. There's always been other characters, like Galacta Knight, tossed around as well.

But now, with Kirby Star Allies, we're seeing a resurgence of other old favorites, like Gooey and Marx. What do you think?
Marx would make for an epic character. But he's better suited to be either an assist trophy or a stage hazard.

Going back to how I view DK, I feel that they should buff his overall movement a slight bit. I don't really like the slow and heavy archetype, which is why I practically cheered when Bowser and DK got movement buffs. However, heavy characters with good movement become very good, with Cloud being the main example of this. Many people cite Limit or his large disjoints as what makes him good, but nobody really says things on how Cloud is a bit too heavy. If Cloud returns, rather than nerfing him into the ground, I think Sakurai should just nerf his weight, making him easier to launch and kill.

Charizard, on the other hand, needs to have his Up-B hitbox fixed, as its a little small. Wario's hitboxes also need to bit bigger, as they don't even cover his whole model.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I dont really care for Geno (i've started to warm up to him recently I guess) but implying he has no moveset potential seems. . .strange.

He's a doll with magic and robot powers. Even just on the concept there is a lot to be done.
:061:
Yeah but Sakurai getting hard for his wooden arm cannon when we got Samus and Mega Man is strange as well.

Might sound petty and arbitrary, but I have no problem with Geno as the second Square Enix rep.
Slapping the Mushroom symbol on My First Mekka Doll is when it's troubling for me

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Eh, he'll be back, he's pretty much the Marth of the series. Shulk and Rex are incredibly bland as characters but they both definitely have unique potential to be in the game side by side.
I don't agree with Shulk being a bland character. At least, in Xenoblade I don't think he is. Can't really explain why without Xenoblade spoilers.

Rex is pretty bland though.

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
I seriohope we get Travis Touchdown for Smash 5. Granted, the team would have to censore him a lot, but damn would he be a absolute BLAST to play as.
I also would love to see Joker from Persona 5, but now i'm dwelling on uncharted territory, lol.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
. . .are you implying Geno has no moveset potential because Samus and Mega Man exist? Because that's the only way I can read it, and frankly, that doesn't make any sense.
Absolutely not, but an arm cannon isn't exactly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to include in Smash as much as things like Corrin's dragon power or Spring Man's stretchy arms.
Some gimmicks will never see the light of day for Smash outside of a certain character, an arm cannon is not one of those gimmicks.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I seriohope we get Travis Touchdown for Smash 5. Granted, the team would have to censore him a lot, but damn would he be a absolute BLAST to play as.
I also would love to see Joker from Persona 5, but now i'm dwelling on uncharted territory, lol.
The whole "Too Mature for Smash" argument has pretty much ended with Bayonetta, I think. (And I guess Snake broke this argument too) so I could see it. I don't see any huge issues with including him. He could have a fun moveset too.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't agree with Shulk being a bland character. At least, in Xenoblade I don't think he is. Can't really explain why without Xenoblade spoilers.

Rex is pretty bland though.
My thoughts exactly which is why I bolded Shulk and not Rex when asking about this lmao. Rex feels kinda one dimensional and, while I respect their efforts, I don't think the voice actor brought the character to life the way Shulk's VA did. Adam Howden perhaps had the best video game VA performance ever if you ask me. Shulk was probably the most refreshing character I've experienced in a long time. I think he's far from bland.

Last edited:

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
If mother 3 along with virtual console finally comeout this year maybe we could have Kumatora or Masked Man join the roster...

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
This is true. Also Marvel is a pain in the booty to work with. I think what happened there is the rights to the X-Men belonged to Fox exclusively at the time and there was just a whole headache in that process.
That's not how it works. Fox only had the movie rights for the x-men and fantastic 4. Marvel still published comics and other merch of them.

Marvel clearly had the rights to use X-men in the game just like they used them in mvc3 and umvc3 despite them then also being owned by Fox at that time. Yet they didn't because "functions" and "triangle jumps".

There's also the fact that the X-men still appeared in Marvel's mobile games during the time Infinite was released.

But i'm going waaaaaay off topic.

i like smash

Last edited:
Absolutely not, but an arm cannon isn't exactly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to include in Smash as much as things like Corrin's dragon power or Spring Man's stretchy arms.
Some gimmicks will never see the light of day for Smash outside of a certain character, an arm cannon is not one of those gimmicks.
So because we have one more armcannon with plenty of other moves to use "moveset potential means squat." Okay then, I guess.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Marx would make for an epic character. But he's better suited to be either an assist trophy or a stage hazard.

Going back to how I view DK, I feel that they should buff his overall movement a slight bit. I don't really like the slow and heavy archetype, which is why I practically cheered when Bowser and DK got movement buffs. However, heavy characters with good movement become very good, with Cloud being the main example of this. Many people cite Limit or his large disjoints as what makes him good, but nobody really says things on how Cloud is a bit too heavy. If Cloud returns, rather than nerfing him into the ground, I think Sakurai should just nerf his weight, making him easier to launch and kill.

Charizard, on the other hand, needs to have his Up-B hitbox fixed, as its a little small. Wario's hitboxes also need to bit bigger, as they don't even cover his whole model.
Edit: Bandana Dee is everything Sakurai wants in a Smash Character. He has a unique, easy to implement moveset (Spears!), has been prominent since Return to Dreamland, and there's the fact that Kirby Star Allies has probably been in development for a similar amount of time as Smash Switch.

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
The whole "Too Mature for Smash" argument has pretty much ended with Bayonetta, I think. (And I guess Snake broke this argument too) so I could see it. I don't see any huge issues with including him. He could have a fun moveset too.
Agreed.
Let's just hope it's Travis' Time to finally shine.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So because we have one more armcannon with plenty of other moves to use "moveset potential means squat." Okay then, I guess.
It's not that moveset potential means squat (even though I literally said that, I retract that statement on the basis of being salty ALREADY), I just don't see Geno's moveset potential to be that big for him to be included over more well-known (Mario) characters that were included in more than a cult-hit and have equal moveset potential and bring as much if not more to the table than Geno.

"Moveset potential means squat" in the sense that Paper Mario's, Waluigi's massive amount of inspiration and angles they can take with them would be "skipped over" in favor of raw hardcore fan demand

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
just play legacy holy cow. People need to discover the many wonders of custom PM
As cool as Legacy and PM are, I'd rather support Nintendo the way they want to be supported rather than with mods that they have voiced their disapproval of and banned/placed cease and desists on.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Mario RPG: Seven Stars yet. Geno has a handcannon?! He can be put in, Mario X Rabbids showed us that Nintendo likes armcannons.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If mother 3 along with virtual console finally comeout this year maybe we could have Kumatora or Masked Man join the roster...
My go-to Earthbound/Mother newcomer will always be Porky, in his mech from the end of Earthbound.

I just love villains and think Smash needs more of them. I love heavyweights in Smash. I love Earthbound. I love Porky's tragic character arc.

My other choice would be Giygas in his "Gigue" form from Earthbound Beginnings. I kinda feel like Mother as a whole is about Giygas. Beginnings is about Gigue's beginnings on Earth, and the woman he called "mother." Earthbound is about Giygas fulfilling his goal of becoming all-powerful and invading Earth, even if he didn't really want to. Mother 3 is about the aftermath Giygas left, in the influence he had on Porky.

Earthbound ramblings aside, I think both Earthbound-mech Porky and Giygas would be exceptional choices. I don't see it happening anytime soon due to Earthbound as a series kind of being over, and I'm alright with that.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
My go-to Earthbound/Mother newcomer will always be Porky, in his mech from the end of Earthbound.

I just love villains and think Smash needs more of them. I love heavyweights in Smash. I love Earthbound. I love Porky's tragic character arc.

My other choice would be Giygas in his "Gigue" form from Earthbound Beginnings. I kinda feel like Mother as a whole is about Giygas. Beginnings is about Gigue's beginnings on Earth, and the woman he called "mother." Earthbound is about Giygas fulfilling his goal of becoming all-powerful and invading Earth, even if he didn't really want to. Mother 3 is about the aftermath Giygas left, in the influence he had on Porky.

Earthbound ramblings aside, I think both Earthbound-mech Porky and Giygas would be exceptional choices. I don't see it happening anytime soon due to Earthbound as a series kind of being over, and I'm alright with that.
I second Giygas! He'd be a new villain AND have the possibility for some really insane/weird moves. I imagine him having a nightmare-inducing final smash based on the ending of the first game :D

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hypothetical what-if scenario.
How would you react, or feel about this.

Zeraora is first officially revealed and announced not in a Pokemon related medium, but in a Smash trailer.
Following the announcement of him being playable in Smash a distribution event would take place.

This thought crossed my mind only because I feel Zeraora is bound to be announced at some point this year. (Likely not Smash related but, for fun lets say it is)

I could see Sakurai pulling a Greninja for this Pokemon.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Have you ever played SSE?
Subspace Emissary? Of course I have. I have no clue what that has to do with Smash Tour, and if you're saying that SSE is better than Smash Tour, I'd say that they're both good for different reasons.

Anyone got any theories on the Best Buy stuff?
What Best Buy stuff? The $10 reward?

Sounds like Best Buy cashing in on the hype while they can.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I know this is pretty out there, but what are people's thoughts on Bewear being a gen 7 Pokemon added to this game? He's been on plenty of promotional material and you can find Stufful and Bewear in peoples homes all over Alola. I know we already have a fighting type Pokemon, but honestly Bewear has absolutely nothing in common with Lucario beyond that. Lucario's gimmick is his aura, anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, Disney basically lets Marvel act completely on its own, so they likely had no hand in the X-Men thing. It's just Marvel's MO.

I guess the X-men and Fantastic Four disappeared from all virtually all video games once the Disney train started rolling because Marvel just didn't like those guys anymore. :p

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice

Giygas could be an amazing boss fight if Smash 5 has a story mode in the veins of SSE or even something related to boss fights, now that i think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom