• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
My bold predictions (screencap this just in case)
There will be no cuts
The ballot will have influence on the roster (As in, irrelevant yet requested characters like Isaac and K. Rool will be added)
The Ice Climbers won't return due to 8-player Smash
I'd rather cut 8 player Smash for Ice Climbers.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If link is getting a rework for SSB5, i think it should be closer to his BOTW style.
Example:
His bombs are changed to look and act like his Bomb rune.
When he shoots arrows, random other types of arrows will be shot. Like He shoots a bomb arrow and then he gets ice arrows.
when the enters a stage, it could just be him teleporting to a shrine.
and other than that, just minor tweaks can be added, like his sword and shield changes based on the skin he has on.
Don’t forget the most important part

M O R E S P E E D

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My bold predictions (screencap this just in case)
There will be no cuts
The ballot will have influence on the roster (As in, irrelevant yet requested characters like Isaac and K. Rool will be added)
Honestly, I don’t really see 8 player Smash coming back. It can, but I would not be surprised in the slightest if it doesn’t.

Can the Switch even have 8 different controller connected at once? It’s not like the Wii U where you can have both Wii remotes, the gamepad, and pro controllers.

blackghost

Smash Champion
even though its hard tpredict we DO have the patternspresented in smash 4 to base theories on.
every single smash 4 newcomer had a new gimmick, bar, or mechnic entirely different form anyone else.
wii fit could self heal, mac ko meter, bayonetta and ryu input moves, cloud limit, robin (resource usage),corrin first character with a true stance with options, villager pocket aka permanent item maniplation, dhd and megaman projectile smashes, palutena custom specials (RIP).
i do expect to ee charatcers added that continue this trend which points me more toward characters like dark samus (phazon), shantae, geno, or paper mario ( i can see him getting some unique mechanic)
additionally splatoon characters will more than likely have a fuel mechanic or a movement in ink mechanic and that supports this as well.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I don't think 8-player Smash will influence Ice Climbers' return this time. We're not being held back by the limitations of the 3DS (thank god).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh, I don't think this was discussed before(probably was but I haven't read this entire thread lol) so might as well bring it up:
If we get a new Codec/Palutena's Guidance-like easter egg, what would it be?
Keeping it to series already in Smash, for simplicity's sake.
Doc Louis to Little Mac PLEASE!

D

Deleted member

What characters do you need? That includes anyone that hasn't been confirmed so no Mario, Link, or Inklings. By need, I mean that if they did not show up, you would not buy the game. I ask this because as a community, we throw around need a lot as a word but we often confuse that for characters we want or characters we think should get in.

Here are all of the characters I need to purchase Smash for Switch under all circumstances:

- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Donkey Kong

- Diddy Kong
- Yoshi
- Wario
- Link
- Samus
- Kirby
- Fox
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Ness
or Lucas

Characters in italic I see in the silhouette and personally consider all but confirmed.

Mega Man too if,
- Lucas doesn't return (my main)
- I don't get any newcomers I want
- Smash for Switch is not a reboot

So about fifteen characters. Thankfully I'm confident that everyone in this list returns.
-Pretty much most of the original twelve and non-clone Melee veterans. And even if they're not silhouettes, they're pretty much guaranteed anyway.
-Ganondorf
-Ike
-Toon Link to an extent
-Pit
-Shulk, to the surprise of probably no one who knows me well enough

Most, if not all these characters are most likely returning anyway, so I'm good.

-I'd list the 3rd parties too, but I'd be more forgiving of their exclusions due to potential outside circumstances preventing their return (like what happened with Konami during Smash 4's DLC period). Though I'd say all the current ones either are pretty safe, or in Cloud's case, could go either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
even though its hard tpredict we DO have the patternspresented in smash 4 to base theories on.
every single smash 4 newcomer had a new gimmick, bar, or mechnic entirely different form anyone else.
wii fit could self heal, mac ko meter, bayonetta and ryu input moves, cloud limit, robin (resource usage),corrin first character with a true stance with options, villager pocket aka permanent item maniplation, dhd and megaman projectile smashes, palutena custom specials (RIP).
i do expect to ee charatcers added that continue this trend which points me more toward characters like dark samus (phazon), shantae, geno, or paper mario ( i can see him getting some unique mechanic)
additionally splatoon characters will more than likely have a fuel mechanic or a movement in ink mechanic and that supports this as well.
You are using the term 'gimmick' very loosely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It can with Splatoon 2, iirc
Wait what? There’s no local play in Splatoon 2, is there?

Also, I just realized they could bring back 8 Player Smash vía multi-Switch local play. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had local player for two players a console, allowing 4 Switches to connect to do 8 players.

I do think they will put Ice Climbers back before putting in 8 player Smash, however.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don’t really see 8 player Smash coming back. It can, but I would not be surprised in the slightest if it doesn’t.

Can the Switch even have 8 different controller connected at once? It’s not like the Wii U where you can have both Wii remotes, the gamepad, and pro controllers.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not for people who mained the ice climbers. :p
Which is why I said "imo" at the end of the sentence. ;)

I don't think 8-player Smash will influence Ice Climbers' return this time.
You have it completely backwards.
Ice Climbers were the reason why 8-player Smash wasn't possible earlier. It was planned for Melee but it wasn't possible thanks to IC's existence.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't. Playing with more people is more fun than playing as ICs imo.
I can barely get three people to play Smash with me as is. Maybe I don't have enough friends or something, because I've never gone beyond a five player game of Smash.

I don't think 8-player Smash will influence Ice Climbers' return this time. We're not being held back by the limitations of the 3DS (thank god).
I think the Switch can handle it. I'd be very surprised if technical limitations held the ICs back again.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Also, I just realized they could bring back 8 Player Smash vía multi-Switch local play. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had local player for two players a console, allowing 4 Switches to connect to do 8 players.

I do think they will put Ice Climbers back before putting in 8 player Smash, however.
Oh, you meant in the same console...?

I can't ****ing read...

D

Deleted member

Why would you think any of these characters would be gone?
If anything, I'm confident that all are returning. Like I literally cannot imagine a scenario where any of them (except Mega Man and Lucas, but I put in "Ness or Lucas" for a reason) fail to make it even without the silhouettes and if even one of them didn't make it, then the game probably has much more serious problems that makes the game worth boycotting.
It's hard for me to answer this question because I can't really imagine a scenario where anyone from 64 to Brawl would get cut, and those characters alone would be more than enough for me to purchase Smash Switch.
It's an good thought exercise nonetheless. @Venus of the Desert Bloom brought up an excellent point that this might be more of a service-like game in that the game might start relatively small and build up over time. Everyone subconsciously realizes that while they may get disappointed, upset, even rage at a character's inclusion or exclusion, that this will fade and they'll buy the next Smash game. But this is because all of the cuts have been minor at best because not even the Ice Climbers stopped it from Smash 3DS & Wii U being the best selling Smash game. However, there are only so many characters the franchise can cut before they cut off the bones that keeps the franchise thriving and fail to meet sales expectations.

Not that I think this would happen but sooner or later we're getting a rebooted roster so fans should be thinking about what is most important to keep when Nintendo does bring out the chainsaw.
Well, I would certainly be upset if Lucas, Mewtwo and/or Greninja were cut.
But the only circumstance under which I definetly wouldn't buy the game because a character is absent is if it's a reboot.
If anything, I'd be slightly more receptive to cuts if only because then there's the expectation of a significant shake up to how the game works and I'd be ready to drop any expectations of third-party characters. Whereas even if a traditional sequel on a new engine with more than several cuts occur, the thought of Nintendo dropping third-parties - a guaranteed crowd pleaser and money maker - would be absolutely baffling so I can't help but expect at least Sonic to return.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

I don't, Sakurai and Nintendo as a whole would probably give priority to more players to be able to have fun at once than putting back a single character that if it wasn't for Smash, no one would even remember.
With that said, I don't think the Switch will have any issues handling 8 Ice Climbers.

D

Deleted member

Wii U could only have 5 controllers at most, and one of those had to be the GamePad.
Smash Wii U bypassed this limitation but it's something any app can do(an example would be the reverse happening in apps that only allow the GamePad to be used).

Staarih

Smash Master
Oh, I don't think this was discussed before(probably was but I haven't read this entire thread lol) so might as well bring it up:
If we get a new Codec/Palutena's Guidance-like easter egg, what would it be?
Keeping it to series already in Smash, for simplicity's sake.
Even though not a series already in Smash, Biff from ARMS works great as a commentator. I (and others I guess) have been playing around with this idea before.

Everyone brings their own Switch of course!
...but doesn't it like actually go like having at least four Switches and 8 Joy Cons and whatnot to set 8 players up? It's something that is really emphasized on with the Switch (easy linking etc) so I think 8-player Smash will return. They want to cater to the Switch's capabilities.

I still want Ice Climbers though.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Doc Louis to Little Mac PLEASE!
Seeing as an ARMS character is probably pretty likely too, I'd like to see Biff have commentary as well. Kind of stumped for what Nintendo will do for new franchises outside of third party ones. The only really successful new first/second party in the Wii U/3DS era was Splatoon and that's already in. Aside from reviving long dead retro franchises, the only other one I can think of that kind of warrants it is Rhythm Heaven.Things like Qbby, S.T.E.A.M, Ever Oasis, etc definitely weren't received well enough to get playable reps.

D

Deleted member

I can barely get three people to play Smash with me as is. Maybe I don't have enough friends or something, because I've never gone beyond a five player game of Smash.
And why should I care? I literally said "imo" at the end of the sentence because it's what I personally enjoy more. My wants shouldn't be influenced by what other people wan-
Wait, why am I even discussing this? It's irrelevant to my prediction anyway.

If anything, I'd be slightly more receptive to cuts if only because then there's the expectation of a significant shake up to how the game works and I'd be ready to drop any expectations of third-party characters. Whereas even if a traditional sequel on a new engine with more than several cuts occur, the thought of Nintendo dropping third-parties - a guaranteed crowd pleaser and money maker - would be absolutely baffling.
I don't think they'd drop any 3rd parties even if it's a reboot.
They are what sells the game. Casual players don't give a **** about 90% of Nintendo's franchises.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
There's not really any character I NEED, as my favorite characters are actually really niche and never in the game anyway, but characters that I cannot imagine a smash game without include, not including Mario, Link, or Inklings:
DK
Bowser
Marth
Yoshi
Falcon
Fox
Kirby
Pikachu
Luigi
Samus

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Super Mario 3D World DID happen too late to affect her odds. Sakurai specifically picked her because of Galaxy. 3D World had no impact on his decision.
3D World which came out a year before the last Smash Bros. happened too late for Sakurai to consider adding a character from it, yet people think we're going to see unique characters from games that probably won't even come out until after this Smash Bros. does.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And why should I care? I literally said "imo" at the end of the sentence because it's what I personally enjoy more. My wants shouldn't be influenced by what other people wan-
Wait, why am I even discussing this? It's irrelevant to my prediction anyway.
I was just making a generic statement. It wasn't necessarily me arguing that 8 player Smash shouldn't return.

I don't think they'd drop any 3rd parties even if it's a reboot.
They are what sells the game. Casual players don't give a **** about 90% of Nintendo's franchises.
Most casual players are probably more familiar with Nintendo's IPs than Bayonetta (series) and Final Fantasy. There needs to be a good selection of Nintendo characters too in order to attract both hardcore and casual players. Third-parties alone don't sell Smash.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

You have it completely backwards.
Ice Climbers were the reason why 8-player Smash wasn't possible earlier. It was planned for Melee but it wasn't possible thanks to IC's existence.
While that may be the case (though I've never heard anyone make this case or prove its truthfulness), you also have to consider how systems like Gamecube and Wii had extreme limitations, as well. The reason WiiU didn't have the Ice Climbers was because the 3DS couldn't handle it and they wanted the rosters to be symmetrical between both games. That said, the Nintendo Switch is definitely powerful enough to handle 8-player Smash and Ice Climbers, so I see no reason for them to exclude them this time around is all I was saying.

D

Deleted member

Another bold prediction:
We're getting a Gen 7 Pokemon. And it could literally be anyone.

Most casual players are probably more familiar with Nintendo's IPs than Bayonetta (series) and Final Fantasy.
[citation needed]

While that may be the case (though I've never heard anyone make this case or prove its truthfulness), you also have to consider how systems like Gamecube and Wii had extreme limitations, as well. The reason WiiU didn't have the Ice Climbers was because the 3DS couldn't handle it and they wanted the rosters to be symmetrical between both games. That said, the Nintendo Switch is definitely powerful enough to handle 8-player Smash and Ice Climbers, so I see no reason for them to exclude them this time around is all I was saying.
That's a fair point.
It could go either way imo.

If Cloud was replaced with Sora what would you guys think?
I'd throw up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not sure if I'd agree with Final Fantasy.
At the very least, Mario, Pokémon, and LoZ should stand out far more to casuals, as those franchises get promoted all the time by Nintendo. I'm certainly not saying that something like Xenoblade could stand up to FF.

[citation needed]
I don't think I really need a citation for that. Cloud can't compete with the iconicness of Mario, Link, and Pikachu.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd be shocked that Sakurai/Nintendo went out of their way and negotiated with Disney for a character.
I'd be even more shocked that Disney agreed to let them use him.

Just a reminder that Dissidia was originally going to be a Disney/Kingdom Hearts fighting game before Disney shut it down (quickly).
Here's a source

Do you doubt Sakurai's capabilities? :demon:
I don't doubt Sakurai and Nintendo's capabilities as much as I trust in Disney's fierce IP protection efforts.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

I'd be even more shocked that Disney agreed to let them use him.

Just a reminder that Dissidia was originally going to be a Disney/Kingdom Hearts fighting game before Disney shut it down (quickly).
We struggled with Disney licencing to include ANYTHING Kingdom Hearts-related in Disney Infinity. Yes, our OWN TEAM, haha. I doubt Sora will be negotiable for Smash.

D

Deleted member

My bold predictions (screencap this just in case
There will be no cuts
Let's skip the work and get to the archiving.

Remember, you're on the Internet forever. :p
Even though not a series already in Smash, Biff from ARMS works great as a commentator. I (and others I guess) have been playing around with this idea before.

Everyone brings their own Switch of course!
...but doesn't it like actually go like having at least four Switches and 8 Joy Cons and whatnot to set 8 players up? It's something that is really emphasized on with the Switch (easy linking etc) so I think 8-player Smash will return. They want to cater to the Switch's capabilities.

I still want Ice Climbers though.
YES for Biff. Especially if we get the Japanese language option so we can hear his cute Japanese voice.
Most casual players are probably more familiar with Nintendo's IPs than Bayonetta (series) and Final Fantasy. There needs to be a good selection of Nintendo characters too in order to attract both hardcore and casual players. Third-parties alone don't sell Smash.
Lampy has a point. Except for Bayonetta, all of the third-party franchises are more important and iconic than most of Nintendo's franchises. Even Mega Man is going to be more well-known than the majority of Nintendo characters already in. The fact that third-parties not only returned but also brought back Sonic from last game and added five in addition to him is a testaments to how they strengthen the Smash game. If the axe third-parties, they will lost a significant portion of sales because they will have failed to meet other people's expectations. Even in a reboot, it's an extremely high-risk scenario with low rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom