• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Real Talk: Do you think Bandana Dee has a shot this time around? I remember you were engaged in... "lively" conversations about him (And I think I made a parody picture splash screen that you didn't appreciate).

I would call you crazy now... but we got Duck Hunt Dog, so anything is possible haha
Honestly, I do and that's even with taking Sakurai's bias against games he didn't direct. Something to remember is that Sakurai did create him so he's not biased against him.

When the roster was decided in 2012, Bandana Dee only had a cameo (Kirby Star Super on SNES), a role in a DS-exclusive minigame of Kirby Super Star Deluxe, a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack, and a playable appearance in Kirby Return to Dreamland. Now granted, he didn't get a trophy in Smash 3DS & Wii U which was unfortunate but Sakurai may not have been sure he was distinct anyway. But five years have passed and since then, he's appeared in:

- Kirby Triple Deluxe
- Kirby: Planet Robobot
- Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
- Kirby Battle Royale
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Kirby: Star Allies

The fourth is a plot-important role and the latter two are playable appearances. He's clearly the most important Kirby character after the big three and he's not going away anytime soon. With him being an established part of Smash, this could be his first opportunity at getting in.
It's gonna be close. He's playable in Star Allies, which is definitely a huge boost in his chances. However, we don't know how far into the future Sakurai was looking at when he chose the newcomers. It could be anywhere from before the Switch even launched to as far as MP4 or FE16.

Knowing when that cutoff is for adding newcomers would greatly help us determine Bandana Dee's chances.
Source gaming indicated it might be November 2016 when the game started development and Kirby: Stars Allies was announced in June, 2017 at E3. Surely the game was far enough along that Sakurai may have at least heard that it was in development. If the speculation that the game was intended at launch but kept getting pushed back is also true, that also helps the chance of more Kirby representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I believe Sakurai might put Decidueye in. Have we ever had a Grass Pokemon as a playable character?
We had Ivysaur in Brawl.
But I don't think that matters much, Sakurai picks characters based off their uniqueness, but I do think Decidueye could fit the bill perfectly

He's also the best starter Pokemon, fight me if you disagree.
...I own his ****ing support thread lmao

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I guess the X-men and Fantastic Four disappeared from all virtually all video games once the Disney train started rolling because Marvel just didn't like those guys anymore. :p
No, but it did happen after the MCU took off exponentially after The Avengers. Marvel's licensing departments started caring much more about brand synergy after that point, which you can even see when they tried pseudo-replacing them with the revival of the Inhumans in the comics.

Basically realizing they had Disney backing them and as such they wanted to push their brand in the same direction everywhere. And since Disney didn't have X-Men film rights...well, Marvel knew which direction to push.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Geno has his Timed Hits mechanic from Mario RPG.

Pressing a button at the right time, when an ongoing attack hits an opponent results in extra damage/effect.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Pressing a button at the right time, when an ongoing attack hits an opponent results in extra damage/effect.
That seems more fitting for a RH character.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea of how the Chorus Kids might have worked?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I think Geno could be a case where it matters who they are rather than what they can do. People would still be excited for him whether he brought a full blown gimmick to the game or not. In the Smash franchise especially, I think the presence of a character is more important than the gimmick they bring to the game. Especially for the casual players who just want to play their favorite character rather than the strongest character.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Have we confirmed that the best buy thing is real? All I saw was a picture, no link. And the Switch logo was super blurry.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That seems more fitting for a RH character.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea of how the Chorus Kids might have worked?
Geno also has his three stars that gradually light up during his special attacks. This could be implemented in a creative way.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
ever wonder how some people are like "I hope the smash game is a new game and not a deluxe game but I also want all the characters, mechanics and stages to come back from smash 4. But I also want this to be a new game"

seems kinda dumb if you think about it.

D

Deleted member

It's gonna be something in between a port and a new game.
Not built from the ground up, but has enough content to justify being called a new game.
This is another bold prediction.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
ever wonder how some people are like "I hope the smash game is a new game and not a deluxe game but I also want all the characters, mechanics and stages to come back from smash 4. But I also want this to be a new game"

I'm hoping that the initial leaks of it being a "half-port, half-sequel" a la Splatoon 2 is true. Carry over (most of) the old roster and some old game modes, add some new characters and stages, make some new game modes and/or a story mode, profit.

Last edited:

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice

Oh, and also add Goku.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Everyone always forgets Ivysaur... as fa as grass types go, I don’t know why but Breloom seems like it’d be so darn fun

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I think the only way this is really plausible is the theory that this was initially a port, but got pushed back due to the success of other titles which allowed them to go super hard on everything else about the game. The final product will look/feel like a new Smash game but it was built on the same engine and starting with the same assets that Smash for Wii U ended with.

IronTed

Smash Ace

There is a blurry line between sequel and port. Both would add characters, items, themes, etc, but neither would deviate from the core gameplay that defines smash. The main difference would be that a sequel would have more new content and cuts, while a port would add less but would probably not cut anything, at least anything substantial.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Poor Bulbasaur line gets no love at all.

I pick him over Charmander every time. So overrated!
The weaknesses kinda bother me.

But every time there's a new pokemon, I always try to get the first 151.
I always try to make Venusaur as fun as possible... although not effective competitively..
I always toss a big root on him, and make sure he has Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Ingrain, and usually Toxic...
I just love throwing DoT effects on people and watching myself heal up as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, but it did happen after the MCU took off exponentially after The Avengers. Marvel's licensing departments started caring much more about brand synergy after that point, which you can even see when they tried pseudo-replacing them with the revival of the Inhumans in the comics.

Basically realizing they had Disney backing them and as such they wanted to push their brand in the same direction everywhere. And since Disney didn't have X-Men film rights...well, Marvel knew which direction to push.
Pushing towards the MCU doesn't preclude eliminating the entirety of the X-Men in a series they were tentpoles of.

Moreover, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have also been excluded from video game properties as well, yet they would not conflict with brand synergy. What they do conflict with is Fox. Plus, the creators of the X-Men comics have been told to refrain from creating new characters, as Disney would not hold the rights to them in film. And the comic world doesn't even abide by the same synergy.

It's a very idealistic stance to believe Disney has not coerced Marvel into sidelining the characters a competitor profits from, especially since the Marvel "brand" would be no less valuable should the mediums than can include the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Dr. Doom, etc... include them. The Disney brand could be.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I think the "Mario Party sequel" style is probably true. But I don't know if I like it. The thing I always love about Smash is how different each game is. It's not just about having more characters, but having different stages, music, style, graphics, and the small changes to the existing characters.
But maybe it's not a bad thing to have a more subtle sequel. I don't think Sakurai would be making it if he didn't think it was gonna be good. I really believe that he tries to make the best game he can, each time.

D

Deleted member

Bold roster prediction:
No cuts
Inkling (Confirmed)
Spring Man
Rex
Decidueye
Rayman
Shovel Knight
Takamaru
Dixie Kong