• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
There was an even worse one, but I don't remember his name. He was some guy with "insider" information, and he leaked stuff on Twitter. He was called out by a bunch of people on here, and he even had a Smashboards account and defended himself on here. Any memory of that? I'd remember his name if I heard/read it. (Not witch hunting, just a funny memory)
Liam Robertson, AKA Dr. Cupcakes.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
ICs don't return due to 8-player Smash.
Sakurai only said ICs weren't in smash 3ds/u because the 3ds apparently couldn't handle them, and even specified that they worked just fine on the wii u. I think he meant what he said, and if they worked completely fine on wii u then they shouldn't be unable to work on switch.

either that or sakurai uses 8 player smash as an excuse to keep them out.

D

Deleted member

I heard..... you.... like Mudkips?
Nice maymay.
Also the best starter is Greninja, fite me

Sakurai only said ICs weren't in smash 3ds/u because the 3ds apparently couldn't handle them, and even specified that they worked just fine on the wii u. I think he meant what he said, and if they worked completely fine on wii u then they shouldn't be unable to work on switch.

This is irrelevant. I have seen the future.
And honestly I'm surprised that's the prediction people seem to find the most questionable.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

if the Wii U can handle 8 Bayonettas on the screen at the same time I don't see why an even more powerful console could not handle 8 pairs of nearly identical-looking characters with relatively much more simpler models.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The only thing that I can think of that would prevent 8 player smash from returning may be playing smash on the go. If you set up the Switch in tabletop mode it would be pretty hard for 8 people to gather around it and be able to keep track of their character. This would not be a case of the Switch not being able to handle it, it would just be that it would be almost unplayable.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The only thing that I can think of that would prevent 8 player smash from returning may be playing smash on the go. If you set up the Switch in tabletop mode it would be pretty hard for 8 people to gather around it and be able to keep track of their character. This would not be a case of the Switch not being able to handle it, it would just be that it would be almost unplayable.
They could just disable the mode in tablet mode. The Switch already changes some of the ways games function based on whether its docked or as a tablet, such as framerate drops. Why not set up parameters that turn off the mode?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
They could just disable the mode in tablet mode. The Switch already changes some of the ways games function based on whether its docked or as a tablet, such as framerate drops. Why not set up parameters that turn off the mode?
The whole point of the Switch though is for it to have parity in terms of functionality in both handheld and docked mode. Yes performance and visuals are lesser, but I can not see them locking a mode specifically to the TV.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The whole point of the Switch though is for it to have parity in terms of functionality in both handheld and docked mode. Yes performance and visuals are lesser, but I can not see them locking a mode specifically to the TV.
Well if that is the philosophy behind this, I could see 8 player smash being removed, then. Just like you, I can't expect the game to run very well with 8 players on that tiny screen and also at 60fps, which all smash games generally run at. The only exceptions being the add-on stuff in 3DS like AT's and pokeballs.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mean, some games are only playable in portable mode, although none of those are first party, to be fair. It's definitely not an iron rule.

I don't see why locking out something like that would be forbidden (again assuming it is absolutely necessary). Another example would be stage builder. Would they cut out touch screen functionality just to achieve parity with docked mode? I personally don't see that happening.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I believe Sakurai might put Decidueye in. Have we ever had a Grass Pokemon as a playable character?
He's also the best starter Pokemon, fight me if you disagree.
Brawl does have Ivysaur, but it never returned for Smash 3DS / Wii U. With that said, Decidueye really isn't all that popular when compared to its first stage, Rowlet.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Brawl does have Ivysaur, but it never returned for Smash 3DS / Wii U. With that said, Decidueye really isn't all that popular when compared to its first stage, Rowlet.
Could you imagine if Rowlet was playable? That would be so hype lmao. I just don't see how it would be reasonably possible to work. I'm trying to think of how a grab wouldn't look awkward from it.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I mean, some games are only playable in portable mode, although none of those are first party, to be fair. It's definitely not an iron rule.

I don't see why locking out something like that would be forbidden (again assuming it is absolutely necessary). Another example would be stage builder. Would they cut out touch screen functionality just to achieve parity with docked mode? I personally don't see that happening.
In regards to the touchscreen controls, that is more of a play style/feature than an entire game mode. You are right that some games do offer that, I mean Okami HD, which was in the Smash Nintendo Direct, offered touch controls in handheld and motion controls when docked. Thing is though that this does not lock the stage builder to handheld or docked, it just means that touch can be used when in handheld.

I would like to clarify that I do think it is possible for them to get 8 player Smash working in portable mode, I just do not think that it would be an effective or enjoyable experience and as a result may be cut. QoL type of thing so it does not make the game look bad.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this has been said a million times, but Smash needs more villains.
There's only really 5-7 depending on how you stretch the definition of "villain".

One reason not to cut Dark Pit I suppose :p

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Gimme a small bird orb in Smash or give me death.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would like to clarify that I do think it is possible for them to get 8 player Smash working in portable mode, I just do not think that it would be an effective or enjoyable experience and as a result may be cut. QoL type of thing so it does not make the game look bad.
I could see this generating an issue similar to 3DS, though, where characters like Ice Climbers and Olimar don't really work in the mode. This is 8 player as opposed to 4, but I feel like 8 player will sort of form the same kind of issue on the more powerful tablet.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm pretty sure this has been said a million times, but Smash needs more villains.
There's only really 5-7 depending on how you stretch the definition of "villain".

Except Dark Pit has never been a villain.

Neutral third-party antagonist is the most "villainous" he's ever been.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Nothing is "needed"
2. Characters should get in for who they are, not what they are.

Gimme a small bird orb in Smash or give me death.
I mean Decidueye is a ghost type so it kinda works :troll:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Dark Pit isn't really a villain though. He's more of an antihero. He's created to be the exact opposite of Pit. Pit is a dilligent servant to Palutena and does everything she says, whereas Dark Pit is the opposite and instead does what he feels is right and goes entirely off of what he thinks. If you play all of Uprising you can see what I mean.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I know Sakurai was saying that the internet ruined it for him as everyone uploaded all the cutscenes, but they have managed to keep this game under very tight wraps (something Nintendo seems to be pretty good at with the Switch) so I think there may be a possibility. If there was one, what would you like to see?
And not to mention in this day and age where Youtube is a viral thing. .. I guess what Sakurai was trying to interpret, but Smash Bros not having story cutscenes is nothing too terrible but just hope it can return so we can see how characters can interact with each other.

IronTed

Smash Ace
In regards to the touchscreen controls, that is more of a play style/feature than an entire game mode. You are right that some games do offer that, I mean Okami HD, which was in the Smash Nintendo Direct, offered touch controls in handheld and motion controls when docked. Thing is though that this does not lock the stage builder to handheld or docked, it just means that touch can be used when in handheld.

Fair enough, it is very true that playstyles are very different from game modes.

But yes, 8 player mode on one Switch in tabletop mode would be hard to work, even if it looked fine. It would be more logical to have multiple switches hooked up to provide more space.

Edit: That reminds me, would Smash Switch offer download play? Is there download play for Smash 3DS?

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I hope we get real high quality renders of all the pokeball pokemon and assist trophies.

mainly so I can get real high-res Beedrill art if he comes back

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I hope we get real high quality renders of all the pokeball pokemon and assist trophies.

mainly so I can get real high-res Beedrill art if he comes back
I have to commend your love for Beedrill. I've never even heard someone else say they LIKE him, let alone support him the way you do. :015::015:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
And not to mention in this day and age where Youtube is a viral thing. .. I guess what Sakurai was trying to interpret, but Smash Bros not having story cutscenes is nothing too terrible but just hope it can return so we can see how characters can interact with each other.
I agree. It is sad that he was hurt so much by the SSE cutscenes being put on the internet. I know most people still really enjoyed and appreciated them and lots of us (me included) still experienced them through the game first and foremost. They may not make or break a Smash game, but boy do they take the magic of what makes Smash great and multiply it tenfold.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Would anyone miss 8-Player Smash though? Not trying to crap on someone's favourite feature, but 8-Player Smash was kinda the worst and just a big old chaotic mess.

Plus, it was like 70% of what was wrong with Classic mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would anyone miss 8-Player Smash though? Not trying to crap on someone's favourite feature, but 8-Player Smash was kinda the worst and just a big old chaotic mess.

I would.
Playing with more people is always fun.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

It was fun the couple of times I had enough people around to play it, but it is certainly not a necessity to be in Smash for me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

There's a reason why 3DS had the far better Classic Mode, after all. :p

And honestly, modes in general, really. Even All-Star is better there since chronological order makes much more sense than reverse chronological order.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Yes.

Had a lot of fun playing it with my friends.

Plus it's cooler to have 8 selected all-stars over 4.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I would like it removed from classic mode. I don't care for the mode personally. But I mostly only play 1v1. I can see why the casual audience would like to keep it. But you won't catch me complaining if it's gone, that's for sure.

IronTed

Smash Ace

I would. Playing with more people is always nice, the chaos is what makes it that much more fun.

Also, I like putting 8 Captain Falcon CPUs on Battlefield and making them fight (yes I know it's weird that I watch Smash) sometimes.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I won’t miss it, 8 players resulted in me dying more easily in classic.

Speaking of classic, how would we get to fight Crazy Hand this time? I know in Melee and Brawl some condition had to be met and I would like to see that back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hopeful veteran changes:

Mario
  • Entrance: Odyssey Landing
Dr. Mario
  • Unique victory theme
  • Unique Final Smash
  • Dr. Mario Stage
Luigi
  • Entrance: Pixelator
  • Down Special: Poltergust 5000
  • Final Smash: Negative Zone
Princess Peach
  • Unique victory theme
  • Daisy alt
Bowser
  • Dry Bowser alt.
Yoshi
  • White, Orange, and Woolly Yoshi alts.
Link
  • Breath of The Wild design
  • Entrance: Sheikah Slate Warp
  • Side Special: Normal Boomerang
  • Down Special: Rune Bomb
  • Grab: Rune Magnet
Zelda
  • Neutral Special: Daruk's Protection
  • Side Special: Urbosa's Fury
  • Down Special: Mipha's Grace
  • Up Special: Revali's Gale
Sheik
  • Yuga Sickle
  • Harp taunt
Ganondorf
  • Completely new move set
Kirby
  • Final Smash: Hyernova
Fox
  • Star Fox Zero design
Falco
  • Star Fox Zero design
Wolf
  • Star Fox Zero design + voice
Ness
  • Ninten alt.
Marth
  • Leif alt.
Wario
  • Dash: Shoulder ram
Olimar/Alph
  • Alph: become separate character
  • Alph: Purple & White Pikmin replaced by Rock and Winged Pikmin
  • Up Special: Jet Pack
Sonic
  • Side Special: Boost
Dark Pit
  • Down Special: Jet Orbitars
Villager
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe design
Pac-Man
  • Ms. Pac-Man alt.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There's a reason why 3DS had the far better Classic Mode, after all. :p

And honestly, modes in general, really. Even All-Star is better there since chronological order makes much more sense than reverse chronological order.
I honestly thought reverse chronological was better. Meant most of the bigger name stars were towards the end.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Put Rowlet in then. I prefer Decidueye but I think a small fast bird archer would make for a great character. Plus anyone trying to say Decidueye would be in to complete the final evo triangle that was started with Charizard and Greninja should know better than to expect patterns from Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom