• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
in the Japanese version of Sonic Adventure there are actual references to the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles which were removed from the Western ver.
And Sonic CD.

This is the Trial version. They removed it in the final English versions. Nobody knows why.

Put the whole CD soundtrack in Smash by the way.

In Sonic Heroes sonic actually questions why shadow is still alive but for some reason this was also taken out in the western version too.
Here's the cool part, Sonic makes a direct reference to his last fight with Shadow in SA2 in the Japanese version. Basically, they're both too stubborn to die.

Subs >>> Dubs.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How would ya'll rank these in terms of likelihood and personal want? Just for kicks.

Geno, Sora, Lara Croft, Neku, Slime, Terra, Agnes, any other major SE rep I forgot
1) Geno or Sora
0) All the others on that list

Don't think DQ would get Slime. I think it'd get one of the first heroes and have slime in his taunts or moves

Chrono.

Random question - who will have their CSS with Echoes separate and who will have it with the Echoes combined?

I'll be going with them separate myself.
Bloated character select screens are like 1/4 of the reason I like fighting games.

So yes, separate.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would ya'll rank these in terms of likelihood and personal want? Just for kicks.

Geno, Sora, Lara Croft, Neku, Slime, Terra, Agnes, any other major SE rep I forgot
Likeliest - Geno
Most wanted - Neku

I’m sleepy so I’ll orobably do a proper bersion tomorrow

Hey look im mispelinf words I teally should get to bed

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I know that I left the thread for about 5-6 hours without reading, but seriously? 19 pages!?
Jesus Christ you guys talk a lot

Chrono.

And Sonic CD.

This is the Trial version. They removed it in the final English versions. Nobody knows why.

Put the whole CD soundtrack in Smash by the way.

Here's the cool part, Sonic makes a direct reference to his last fight with Shadow in SA2 in the Japanese version. Basically, they're both too stubborn to die.

Subs >>> Dubs.
I'm actually playing through SA1 with the retranslation mod.

Will probably do the same for SA2 at a later point.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Here's a game:

You Are Sakurai Bias!

Pick 1 Smash Franchise (hell, it can be one that isn't in SSB yet if you want) and say how you would shamelessly cater to your own bias in Smash with content

My bias? Pokemon:

I would include three more Pokemon for Ultimate, a 3rd Gen, 5th Gen, and 7th Gen, and reveal them all in the same trailer
Pikachu's/Pichu's Side Special is now Volt Tackle (its much faster than Charizard's Flare Blitz, but does less damage and no recoil to itself)
Pikachu's/Pichu's Final Smash will be its Z-Move instead
Mewtwo's Shadow Ball damages as it charges
All of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon will gain a 4th special; Pokemon Changing is now down by pressing A+B together
Even more stages including: Poke Floats, Tower of Mastery, Pokemon Battle Royal Ring, Battle Frontier Emerald, and Poketopia
Greninja in Ultimate is Smash 4 out-of-the-gate, pre-patched level (before the 20 nerfs and patches)

EDIT
Mewtwo is now a floaty, heavy character, at least as heavy as Samus.
Each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon also have their own Final Smash, instead of just doing one Triple Finish, giving players options before letting loose their FS.
Lucario has less startup and cooldown frames on its attacks as its Aura level increases.

Ooh, this sounds like fun! I'll take a crack at it.

My bias: Legend of Zelda

New characters:
- Skull Kid and Impa (Preferrably Hyrule Warriors Impa, because that's my favourite Impa design, and her ridiculously huge sword reminds me of Berserk. XD )

Character changes:
- Give Ganondorf Magic attacks along with his sword and a better recovery.
- Give Link more Breath of the Wild abilities like Revali's gale for Up B in the air, and spin attack for his Up B while on the ground, but if you fully charge it, you unleash Urbosa's fury. Also Magnesis for his grab. His final smash changes to
the divine beast's energy barrage seen in the fight against Calamity Ganon,
-Give Toon Link the Wind Waker Mirror shield instead of the hero's shield.
- Drastically change Young Link, so that all his weapons/equipment are from Majora's Mask. (MM Hero's bow, the hookshot, Mirror Shield and Razor sword.) Replace bombs with mask transformation. This would be similar to Pokemon trainer, but with the inclusion of a scroll wheel, like Monado arts. You get to choose from Deku, Goron, or Zora transformations. This completely changes Young Link's moveset while you have one of these masks on. Final smash would obviously be Fierce Deity Link.
-Change one of Sheik's taunts to her playing her harp/lyre. She randomly plays a different OoT warping song every time.

Costumes:

-Link: Zelda II, ALttP, OoT, TP, SS and HW designs
-Ganondorf: Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors designs
-Zelda: ALttP, OoT, TP, SS, BoTW and HW designs
-Toon Link: Outset island clothes, Engineer uniform, Triforce heroes colours with coloured hair.
-Young Link: OoT Deku shield and Kokiri sword (Razor sword and kokiri sword are the same length, so no altered hitbox)
-Sheik: OoT design, TP/Brawl design
-Impa: OoT design, SS design
-Skull Kid: Skull Mask instead of Majora's Mask

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Random question - who will have their CSS with Echoes separate and who will have it with the Echoes combined?

Definitely keeping mine separate. I want to be reminded each time I boot up Ultimate just how amazing the roster is to have so many characters to choose from once I've unlocked all of them.

Separate because I want to see how ridiculously big I can make this roster look.

I'll also be buying all DLC for that same reason.
Same here, looking forward to just how much we could potentially see from DLC between uniques and echo fighters throughout Ultimate's lifetime.

cothero

Smash Lord
Fun fact; most of the cringey dialogue is the result of the English localization trying to make the game more "mature".

For example: "it's like taking candy from a baby which is fine by me" didn't come from the original script.

Oh man... Now that i've seen this video, it's going to be really sad if Shadow doesn't make it to the roster.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Here's a game:

You Are Sakurai Bias!

Pick 1 Smash Franchise (hell, it can be one that isn't in SSB yet if you want) and say how you would shamelessly cater to your own bias in Smash with content
Xenosaga

Characters
KOS-MOS Added to Fighters, using Refrain as default. (Alt Skins for Archetype, V1, V2, V3, and V4)
T-Elos Added as Echo of KOS-MOS
Albedo Piazzolla Added as Boss Character
chaos, Jin, and Ziggy added as Assist Trophies

Stages
Proto-Merkabah
Ω System (Specifically the chamber housing Proto-Ω)
Michtam (Traveling Stage)

Items
Erde-Kaiser Body/Arms/Legs: Grab all 3 to summon Erde-Kaiser, dealing heavy damage to all enemies after a short cut-scene.
Brave Soul: Greatly enhances damage dealt for 15 seconds, at the cost of taking 30% damage over the duration.

Music
Godsibb
Fatal Fight
Hepatica KOS-MOS
The Battle of your Soul
Promised Pain
Battling KOS-MOS
In the Beginning, There Was...
Battle
Albedo
Song of Nephilim
Omega
Battle's End
(and so... so many more)

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Same. I much rather see every character I can play as instead of hiding them behind other characters.

Likelihood: This mainly comes down to whether or not Square wants to put in a fan favorite or market their current IPs. So basically Geno's chances entirely hinge on that.

1. Geno*
2. Sora
3. Slime / DQ Rep
4. Lara Croft
5/6. Neku & Agnes
7. Tifa / Sephiroth / A FF7 Rep
8. Terra / another FF Rep not from VII

*In the case of the latter situation, Geno drops to second to last or dead last

Personal Want:
1. Agnes
2. Sora
3. Tifa / Sephiroth / A FF7 Rep
4. Neku
5. Terra / another FF Rep not from VII
6/7. Lara Croft & Slime / DQ Rep
8. Geno

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Depends on how we can unlock characters. If I can choose who I can unlock, I would probably keep echoes separate and unlock the characters that would make my personal perfect roster. If I can't choose who I unlock, or what order, then I would have them stacked, despite liking the idea of having a ridiculously large roster.

My ideal character situations:

We get Banjo-Kazooie and Steve

Skull Kid

Geno

Isaac

Porky and Ninten (not as an echo)

Incineroar and Gengar

and more but this may be getting into DLC territory.
If Banjo & Kazooie made it in and weren't slighted (again) with the perfect opportunity being there, I could swallow having Steve in, despite my personal feelings on the character. I do feel both Banjo-Kazooie and Minecraft should be represented in some way. Banjo, Geno and Isaac are also my top 3 picks (and apparently the Reddit Tourneys!)

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Subs are never the better option for games. Especially for American made games like Sonic Adventure 2

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Just imagine a new Pokemon Snap game with all the different gens, different regions, etc. The OG game was so much fun to replay with discovering how to evolve, open up secret areas, get great pics, etc. I think it would've been perfect on Wii U, but still great on Switch.

Oh I can imagine it. And I can guarantee you once it actually releases everyone on reddit will trash it for being exactly what people are asking for. I can already hear the deluge of people complaining that it's too expensive and that they'd never pay more than $15 for that kind of game. Most people seem to refuse to buy puzzle games now because they apparently aren't worth more than $10-15 to them now, and Snap would have arguably less content even with new areas and gens involved.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I’m hiding the echoes only to have Pittoo from ****blocking Pit (Lucina and Daisy are being sacrificed)

MainJPW

M.T.A
Subs are never the better option for games. Especially for American made games like Sonic Adventure 2
Japanese made. The team that developed the game was a branch of Sonic Team from Japan.

The script was made in Japanese and cutscenes are synced to the Japanese dialogue. That's why the English version has sync issues.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno is my most wanted character at this point. I got most of the characters I wanted in melee and Brawl and K Rool and Ridley now. It's just Geno.

Except Blastoise who almost made it in the game, dangit. Stupid Squirtle.

Somewhere in the Barenstein universe, Blastoise got in Brawl

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Speaking of the misteryous Square Enix character, i think it might be someone nobody asked for. Smash is gathering some huge mascots, so i woudn't be surprised if a character like Lara Croft end up being included. Absolutely NOBODY expected Cloud to be added in smash 4 and nobody asked for it, but Sakurai knows how important and iconic as gaming icon he is.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Geno is my most wanted character at this point. I got most of the characters I wanted in melee and Brawl and K Rool and Ridley now. It's just Geno.

Except Blastoise who almost made it in the game, dangit. Stupid Squirtle.

Somewhere in the Barenstein universe, Blastoise got in Brawl
Would've loved to see an endgame Pokemon Trainer with all fully evolved Pokemon. Charizard would focus more on physical attacks, Venusaur would focus more on special attacks, and Blastoise would focus more on defense.

Chrono.

Japanese made. The team that developed the game was a branch of Sonic Team from Japan.

The script was made in Japanese and cutscenes are synced to the Japanese dialogue. That's why the English version has sync issues.
I think he's just yanking your chain. :v

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Squirtle is the only PT mon I like playing as and I'm concerned that if they had the starters all be fully evolved, Blastoise would be too slow for me.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

Expected:
1/2. Geno
1/2. DQ Rep
3. Sora
4. Any Newer FF Character (Post FF7)
5. Lara Croft
6. Any FF7 Rep
7. Agnes
8. Any Older FF Characters (Pre FF7)
9. Neku

Most Wanted:
1. Geno (Really Really Wanted)
2. Sora (Really Wanted)
3. Any FF7 Rep
4. Any Older FF Rep
5. Everyone else: Im fine with
6. Lightning

In scale:
Wanted: Geno>Sora>>Any FF7 Rep>>Any Older FF Rep>>>>Everyone Else>>>>>Lightning.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Squirtle is the only PT mon I like playing as and I'm concerned that if they had the starters all be fully evolved, Blastoise would be too slow for me.
Could always go full Pokken route and make Blastoise a parkouring cartwheeling son of a gun. :p

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

TIL: San Fran is in Japan now

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've always hated the thought that big guys couldn't also be fast.
Just let the giant animals go fast, Sakurai, they've got enough weaknesses as is.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Blastoise would be a great Pokémon for the trainer.
In terms of speed might be slow but powerful with his water attacks.

Chrono.

Likelyhood:
- Geno
- Sora
- DQ rep
- FF rep
- the rest

Personal want:
- Sora
- Noctis
- Crono
- Erdrick
- Neku
- the rest

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Pretty sure SA1 and SA2 story were written in Japan by a Japanese person

Maekawa i believe. Also did Sonic Rush and Unleashed story

No wait Nishiyama was SA1 and Rush

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Oh dear...I'd only want Terra. And I understand Slime, but would still rather have an actual DQ Hero.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Mipha/ruto = pig ganon > darunia/daruk > urbosa = revalli > midna > tingle = vaati = skull kid = deku princess

How I'd rank importance if Zelda newcomers

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lara Croft and Geno in Smash for me > the others in Smash for me

Status
Not open for further replies.