• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Fun fact: It's as old as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

10 years old.

It was uploaded to Youtube on the Albino Sheep account 10 years ago. It first debuted in 2005... on New Grounds!

Man, the NG days were wild. Flash animations like Super Mario Z, Perfect Kirby, Thwomp The Movie ;), Bowsers Kingdom... and all the flash games that ranged from addictive to traumatizing! #NewGroundsguyinsidethetankforSmash

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
So depending on what we get next week (and we are getting something next week, mark my words), this could shape the last month and a half of the hype train in a big way.
It could confirm a bunch of fan theories or leaks, or it might blow them all out of the water. But really, there's only one thing that matters:
It'll be new Smash info.
In my hopes and dreams next week will be the week that destroys the stupidness that is box theory and Vergeben's 'credibility'.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, if we do get a Undertale Rep (Not Likely) It’s gonna be Frisk. Din’t See why people think sans will be it just cuz he’s popular. Waluigi is more Popular than Mario, does this mean no Mario in smash bros and instead was?
Ok, what?
Whoever said Waluigi was more popular than Mario?

Also, Sans is more than just "more popular", he's pretty much the face of the game.

In my hopes and dreams next week will be the week that destroys the stupidness that is box theory and Vergeben's 'credibility'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It was uploaded to Youtube on the Albino Sheep account 10 years ago. It first debuted in 2005... on New Grounds!

Man, the NG days were wild. Flash animations like Super Mario Z, Perfect Kirby, Thwomp The Movie ;), Bowsers Kingdom... and all the flash games that ranged from addictive to traumatizing! #NewGroundsguyinsidethetankforSmash
Heh, I remember Newgrounds as well! I should go back there sometime... there were some great games and animations.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
I have a genuine question, ive seen many people use this sort of wording...It makes me think like "oh stop being so pessimistic, youll dreams come true when your x characters joins the roster!", "Don´t let others change your way of thinking, youll get what you want", "Hey i will get my main in smash, ive been hoping and fighting for it so many years!!".

My question goes, yeah you will get your character, get hyped and then what? Smash is a game after all, as much as i like it it wont change a damn thing.
As much as we can discuss, expect and such, i really wanna understand this whole "campaigns" , "struggle" to get a character in a game, really i want to understand this perspective.

Don´t get me wrong, i like smash a lot but nothing will happen if X character doesnt get announced, if Johns theory or my theory is wrong.
In an attempt to keep this brief, consider the presence of the character itself to be secondary to the passion one feels for said character, which is not unlike a passion felt for a particular hobby. To extrapolate from there, the desire for inclusion manifests in several ways.

What Inclusion Offers
-Reassurance that you are not "wrong" to consider that character/franchise "worthy" to stand amongst the others.
-A substantially larger audience to share your passion with (Once a character is in Smash, they become part of the community)
-The capacity to practice or otherwise represent your hobby at a new venue (IE Being able to play the character itself)
-Higher chances of promotion and expansion in the future (Smash is a known King-Maker, so particularly for lesser-known, struggling, or dormant franchises, Smash all but guarantees a revival)

Honestly, for many, I imagine the desire to actually play as their most wanted character comes secondary to the rest. There are certainly fans who simply won't be happy if they can't play as what they want... but there are also a great many who just want to see something they care about acknowledged on such a grand stage, and being playable is the highest accolade.

Shroob

Sup?
If Incineroar DOES indeed get revealed next week......kiiiiiiiinda ironic how he's going to be the star of that week's Pokemon episode as well.

Nah, totally a coincidence.

*Maximum Tinfoil*

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Incineroar DOES indeed get revealed next week......kiiiiiiiinda ironic how he's going to be the star of that week's Pokemon episode as well.

*Maximum Tinfoil*
If Incineroar does indeed get revealed next week it'll be revealed in my birth week and that would make me a happy lad.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ok, what?
Whoever said Waluigi was more popular than Mario?

Also, Sans is more than just "more popular", he's pretty much the face of the game.

1. It was kinda just an anology, wasn’t really thinking sorry.
2. I thought Frisk was the face of the game. I mean, he is the protagonist.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

*Maximum Tinfoil*
Better then chair theory though. I'll give it that. :p

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Hence why we need Shadow to reunite the main heroes of SMBZ in Smash finally.

D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, why not include the Atlus reps in the Sega section in this theoretical game?
Why? Isn't Atlus their own thing or am I remembering things wrong?
>two FF7 reps rather than a FF rep from another series
Err...where? Warrior of Light is FF1, Terra's from FF6, and Noctis is from FF15. Cloud's the only FF7 character on that list.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I know “Am I the only one” questions have kinda ran their course but am I genuinely the only one who doesn’t care about Incinaroar but is perfectly fine with him in Smash?

Because it feels like you’re supposed to either love or hate him in Smashboards.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know “Am I the only one” questions have kinda ran their course but I genuinely feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t care about Incinaroar but is perfectly fine with him in Smash.
Nah. I'm in the same boat as you.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

*Maximum Tinfoil*
Naw a lot of people in the Pokemon fandom have agreed that if Incineraor makes it, it's due to the fact that TCPI has been pushing the Pokemon super hard despite how he loses in polls to Rowlet every time.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I know “Am I the only one” questions have kinda ran their course but I genuinely feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t care about Incinaroar but is perfectly fine with him in Smash.

Because it feels like you either love or hate him here in Smashboards.
Honestly. That’s pretty much me for every fighter. As long as their fans are happy I’m happy.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Naw a lot of people in the Pokemon fandom have agreed that if Incineraor makes it, it's due to the fact that TCPI has been pushing the Pokemon super hard despite how he loses in polls to Rowlet every time.
What the heck is Shankar doing in your Signature?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In regards to Sans, main characters are not always a priority for unrepresentative franchises. Yes, main characters have typically been the first character representing their franchises in Smash, but that's because they all were the iconic faces of their franchises. In franchises where being the iconic face and a protagonist aren't one and the same, the former was prioritised (see Pokemon in Smash 64). Sans not being the main character is irrelevant as he's the character people most associate Undertale with, similar to how Spring Man is the face of ARMS despite being no more of a main character within said game's storyline than, say, Min Min.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Oh, poor you. You will be so disappointed if incienroar was next reveal, and don't say that we don't warn you there bro.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. It was kinda just an anology, wasn’t really thinking sorry.
2. I thought Frisk was the face of the game. I mean, he is the protagonist.
Face of the game doesn't necessarily have to be the protagonist.

Pikachu is the face of Pokémon, for example. It is also the mascot.
It is however not the main protagonist like the Trainer is.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Face of the game doesn't necessarily have to be the protagonist.

Pikachu is the face of Pokémon, for example. It is also the mascot.
It is however not the main protagonist like the Trainer is.
That is a fair point, But I’d say a mascot or protagonist is the face of the franchise. Sans is just a side character.
I dunno, maybe I just don’t get it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sans & Papyrus were used in Undertale's teaser trailer for the Switch.

Also, Undertale's trailer themes are just remixes of Bonetrousle, Papyrus' battle theme.

In Frisk's case, the protagonist's name itself is literally a spoiler, as the name you give them is actually given to a different child though I wouldn't mind if they were playable because they're cool too, and I'd like other spoiler-type characters like Porky, plus putting in any character is a spoiler in some form.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It would be pretty cool if instead of just Incineroar we got an Alolan Pokemon Trainer who uses Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar. That way Nintendo could push Incineroar and still have the fan-favorite Rowlett in there. It'll probably not happen due to the added dev time though.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sans & Papyrus were used in Undertale's teaser trailer for the Switch.

Also, Undertale's trailer themes are just remixes of Bonetrousle, Papyrus' battle theme.

In Frisk's case, the protagonist's name itself is literally a spoiler, as the name you give them is actually given to a different child though I wouldn't mind if they were playable because they're cool too, and I'd like other spoiler-type characters like Porky.
True. They could just name him “Fallen Child” or s9mething.

D

Deleted member

So how about something new? From your favorite series that is not in Smash that you want to see get in Smash, what is your favorite game from thoses series?

For me;
Shin Megami Tensei: Shin Megami Tensei IV
Devil May Cry: Tie between Devil May Cry 3 and Devil May Cry 4
Resident Evil: Resident Evil 4
Dark Souls: Dark Souls 1
Yakuza: Yakuza 0
Ninja Gaiden: Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox game, not SNES)
Contra: Contra Shattered Soldier
DOOM: Doom 4

P.Kat

Smash Champion
leon is close.
monster hunter is not a character that is not how that franchise works.
Amaterasu isn't even on the same planet as the rest of your list. okami has to be continuously rereleased because it never sells. it is beautiful, has a great story, and incredible charatcers. it is not a huge hit. never has been.
All those good things about the game, and it perplexes me evertime I ask myself why it was never a huge hit, regardless I'll still keep supporting her till the end no matter what no regrets, she has a chance no matter how big or small that chance may be.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I know “Am I the only one” questions have kinda ran their course but am I genuinely the only one who doesn’t care about Incinaroar but is perfectly fine with him in Smash?

Because it feels like you’re supposed to either love or hate him in Smashboards.
I'm right there with you dude.
Really the only reasons I'm somewhat indifferent to Incineroar is that he's from a series I'm not all that crazy about, and that he's been tied to theories that have him as the last remaining non-echo newcomer.

But on the other hand, he's a buff cat wrestler that shoots fire from his belt/crotch. I just can't dislike that. XD
I'm completely cool if he gets in or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That is a fair point, But I’d say a mascot or protagonist is the face of the franchise. Sans is just a side character.
I dunno, maybe I just don’t get it.
Sans (and Papyrus) are the ones they use to promote the game (such as the initial Switch trailer) and the main icon of the game to my knowledge is Sans' face.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Have the characters you guys use have changed over time? As a kid I played as Kirby, pokemon, and Sonic. Now I use more realistic characters like Marth and I'm looking forward to Ridley and Ritcher. Each iteration influences my choices since I like to use the newer characters because they're new and exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom