• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Will just rate 1 song ...

ONLY 1

Gangplank Galleon NUMBER 1.
This track is awesome.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Answering to a reply few pages ago, you can pass.

Maybe I'm misreading something here but Nap's just saying Ridley and K.Rool's support was huge and helped people know who they are? If it wasn't for his massive fanbase, I'd see K.Rool's trailer and go "Wait that's the crocodile from the Donkey Kong bongo jet race game right?"
Thanks for the comment, but no, not exactly. Smash polls and activism could help, but that's was not my point. The reaction to Ridley and K. Rool was huge, looks like they even were able to burst the Smash fans bubble, at least a bit. (In my view, K. Rool's reveal hit harder than the whole Castlevania thing: memes, TT, news, reactions...) But for the people outside of this fan echo-chamber it's like, 'Oh, well, OK' or even 'What a crap, Nintendo is running out of characters'. I see it often. Even a lot of people were annoyed at E3 for focusing in Smash most of the time. At least Metroid or DK are known series wordlwide and that helps. Mario even more, but Geno...
Personally I don't think in Geno as something similar, if even those two doesn't are a big deal for many people I don't see Geno moving something as big. Cloud, Ryu or Sonic can move armies, but most of the roster can't. Geno is a very hardcore choice, but we already get the most of the big shots. He's almost unknown here in Europe, some of the people which knows about him is for Smash especulation or very hardcore gamers who played SMRPG for hobby in emulation or by importation. I don't spect a big reaction around here. It's not about his chances, it's about how the reaction could be. Hey, maybe I'm wrong and Geno's reveal move some mountains, let's see. But the Smash bubble is so big and got strong walls.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I never said the Ashley fanbase was toxic. I said that the general perception was that the Ashley fanbase was toxic. I'm not the one making a mountain out of a molehill, the rest of the community is.
Seriously, go on Twitter and search "Ashley Smash Bros." and scroll down.
You shouldn’t really generalize the entire fan base as making a mountain out of a mole hill. All I said is that that’s what I think your doing. And maybe I’m wrong and also, I’m not seeing any of this toxicity, can you send me a picture?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'd put (just about) every character in Smash if I could.

Smash is the only thing I've ever seen get people so passionate and angry about characters they do and don't like. I understand where the intense letdown comes from, the burning desire to see a favorite character make the cut, the intense letdown that comes with a character being deconfirmed or ignored, and almost the burning anger that comes from a character getting snubbed multiple times.

The biggest negative I can think about Smash is that it doesn't pit characters against each other, it pits entire fanbases against one another, and despite however you may feel, a decent chunk of any fanbase is going to be awful, and that's brought out to the forefront during Smash speculation. Even the nastiest people in the speculation circle are fighting for the same thing as the nicest people.

I swear Smash speculation is more of a battle to the death than the game itself.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Batman and Shantae would be huge if they were announced for Smash.
What revisionist history?
Practically every time I brought up Simon and Snake returning, the endless response was "yeah, but Konami are *****." With a subtle implication that there were better, more realizable options.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
leon is close.
monster hunter is not a character that is not how that franchise works.
Amaterasu isn't even on the same planet as the rest of your list. okami has to be continuously rereleased because it never sells. it is beautiful, has a great story, and incredible charatcers. it is not a huge hit. never has been.

I mean, Monster Hunter/Palico would be a generic archetype, same as Villager. It could work.
Amaterasu you may be right on, only because so far, 3rd party characters have only been big iconic characters spanning multiple games.

An exception to this I'll make is Geno, since his popularity and Sakurai's perception of the character is very interesting to say the least.

Graizen

Smash Champion

I've talked about mental gymnastics before, but this. This gets the Gold Medal for mental gymnastics right here. We've truly gone above Olympic level.
Im Sorry about all that but
Agumon is my Dream character for so long now

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
So inspired by the previous discussion, I made a Smash roster crossing over Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, Sega, Square Enix, Konami, Koei Techmo, Bethesda, and Atlus.
Nintendo::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultike::ultinkling::ultfalcon:
Capcom::ultmegaman::ultryu:,Chun Li, Leon Kennedy, Dante, Phoniex Wright, Amaterasu, Morrigan, Arthur, Stryder Hiryu.

Namco: :ultpacman:, Jin Kazama, Heihachi Mishima, Nightmare, Ivy, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving, Klohnolah, Dark Souls Protagonist.

SEGA: :ultsonic:, Tails, Shadow, :ultbayonetta:, Akira, Valkarie Chronicles Protagonist, Kazuma Kiryu, Goro Majima.

Square Enix: Warrior of Light, Terra Bradford, :ultcloud:, Noctis, Sora, Dragon Quest Protagonist, 2B.

Konami: :ultsnake:,:ultsimon:, Alucard, Bomberman, Bill Rizier.

Koei Techmo: Ryu Hayabusa.

Bethesda: Dovakin, Lone Wanderer, Doomguy.

Atlas: Joker, Flynn.
>Cap Falcon in over Luigi, any Pokemon, etc
>Megaman's only rep is the titular character, with no X representation at all
>two Yakuza characters but no Shenmue characters
>two FF7 reps rather than a FF rep from another series
>2B but no Nier or Kaine
>Konami inexplicably has less even tho Raiden, the Suikoden cast, etc could get a spot
>no Kessen, Nobunaga, Samurai Cats, Deception, Fatal Frame, etc under Koei-Tecmo
>P5 and SMT4 are the only SMT reps in favour of Maya/Tatsuya/Minako/Minato for Persona or Raidou/Demifiend/etc for mainline SMT, ignoring other Atlus IPs like Maken or Catherine

Can't say I'd play it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Its just that... This is alot of coincidences.

People compare the two games, the Japanese public love Tamagotchis and Tomodachi Life
They go and pick the guy that made the Songs for the last 2 Big Digimon Games to Remix a song from Tomodachi Life
And they put the Song on the Smash Site on the same month Digimon Battle Spirit was lauched in Japan
Digimon Battle Spirit was the first Digimon Fighting Game, and the first Digimon Game on a Nintendo console

Im just saying, this is alot of details, i can't ignore it
Didn't Masafumi Takada (the guy who did the Digimon Cyber Sleuth soundtracks and Smash' new Tomodachi Life theme) do the Danganronpa Soundtracks?

*checks*

Yeah, he did.

Just saying.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You shouldn’t really generalize the entire fan base as making a mountain out of a mole hill. All I said is that that’s what I think your doing. And maybe I’m wrong and also, I’m not seeing any of this toxicity, can you send me a picture?
The Ashley fanbase on /v/ apparently had a discord where they planned out false flags to make supporters of other characters look bad.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Let’s change topic in Smash. Since we have 103 stages is there any like 10 stages your looking forward to play that have been remake?

For me

1. Fountain of Dreams
2. Mushroom Kingdom
3. Corneria
4. Four Side
5. Distant planet
6. Pokémon Stadium
7. Reset Bomb Forest
8. 3D Land
9. Dream Land GB
10. Mute City SNES
Late response but in no order:

Magicant
Hyrule Castle
Mute City 3DS
Find Mii
Saffron City
Unova Pokemon League
Fourside
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Mushroom Kingdom

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wait, what?
I didn't even know about this, do you have proof? Cause if so, holy ****.
I do remember screenshots of the chatlogs that popped up on GameFAQs (and eventually, here).

Not being someone who frequents other Smash fan circles, I wouldn't know where to find it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dude. NEVER apologize for wanting a character. If you want to show your support for Agumon, do it. We all have that one character we really want in Smash.
You don't have to apologize for wanting a character, but that's not the same thing as floating the topic on a near-per-page basis. Then it ventures closer to spam. Like you said, we all have that one character we really want in Smash, but most people don't raise them at basically every opportunity, because that can be bothersome.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
i keep seeing people talk as if the starting roster is confirmed to be the smash 64 roster and i'm getting kinda tired of it. it's possible it will be, but sakurai only said it "may be as small as the original n64 game." it's a tiny piece of misinformation, but it's one that keeps spreading

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
As in their fan base getting beat up or them getting beat up?
I mean if you have to ask either you're new here or I'm not here enough. Likely the latter.

Every topic I've seen here involving Ashley just seems to be about talking **** about her and her fanbase.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Where's @Cutie Gwen to point out this revisionist history right here?
I mean the biggest reasons he wasn't considered a contender on Smash forums was because of Konami. And perception of a character's chance absolutely affects how vocal people would be in the community about said character. Geno wasn't even that heavily discussed during Smash 4 speculation until that interview where Sakurai stated he wanted him.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What revisionist history?
Practically every time I brought up Simon and Snake returning, the endless response was "yeah, but Konami are *****." With a subtle implication that there were better, more realizable options.
Wrong quote? Anyways, the fact remains that Snake did do well on fan polls while Simon didn't. Getting Snake back was first priority, and Simon was an afterthought after Bomberman.
I mean the biggest reasons he wasn't considered a contender on Smash forums was because of Konami. And perception of a character's chance absolutely affects how vocal people would be in the community about said character. Geno wasn't even that discussed during Smash 4 speculation until that interview where Sakurai stated he wanted him.
This. This right here is what I was talking about earlier.

Last edited:

Darkurai

Smash Master
i keep seeing people talk as if the starting roster is confirmed to be the smash 64 roster and i'm getting kinda tired of it. it's possible it will be, but sakurai only said it "may be as small as the original n64 game." it's a tiny piece of misinformation, but it's one that keeps spreading
It's not a hard confirmation, but it's definitely implied. I don't mean to say that there's a 100% certainty that the starting roster will be the 64 roster, but it's a safe assumption to make.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Good luck out there man, don't let anyone stomp on your dream fighter.
I have a genuine question, ive seen many people use this sort of wording...It makes me think like "oh stop being so pessimistic, youll dreams come true when your x characters joins the roster!", "Don´t let others change your way of thinking, youll get what you want", "Hey i will get my main in smash, ive been hoping and fighting for it so many years!!".

My question goes, yeah you will get your character, get hyped and then what? Smash is a game after all, as much as i like it it wont change a damn thing.
As much as we can discuss, expect and such, i really wanna understand this whole "campaigns" , "struggle" to get a character in a game, really i want to understand this perspective.

Don´t get me wrong, i like smash a lot but nothing will happen if X character doesnt get announced, if Johns theory or my theory is wrong.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean if you have to ask either you're new here or I'm not here enough. Likely the latter.

Every topic I've seen here involving Ashley just seems to be about talking **** about her and her fanbase.
I don't care if people don't like Ashley, that's fine.
But for whatever reason she just seems to be the designated "**** you!" character and I really don't know why.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Not saying it’ll happen, but I won’t be surprised if Sakurai just goes “Ha! Gotcha!” And puts Waluigi in the game.

I thought he straight up said it. I must have not heard him correctly.

D

Deleted member

Please Sakurai my family is dying I need a Campaign of Fire remix
Sakurai: "****ing uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Heroes music"
FEH music is great though, especially if they remix Veronica's battle theme. Just don't bring the summoning theme because it'll trigger my PTSD
Super Mario RPG basically saved the genre in North America.
>Mario RPG saved RPGs
>Not Chrono Trigger
>Not any actual Final Fantasy game
They didn't even need saving in the first place, after Square's success with Final Fantasy, RPGs were a big thing(mainly due to their comparable bigger length and replay value compared to other genres). There's a reason why the SNES had so many RPGs and why so many of them are considered the best of the best to this day.
Second, if you wanna go by that logic then uh... we have Mario already? He's the star of Mario RPG, NOT Geno.
And third, Super Mario RPG is... really not that talked about in the RPG community outside of those who grew up with it, the only good thing people say about is being Baby's First RPG without being stupidly offensive as Mystic Quest.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>Cap Falcon in over Luigi, any Pokemon, etc
>Megaman's only rep is the titular character, with no X representation at all
>two Yakuza characters but no Shenmue characters
>two FF7 reps rather than a FF rep from another series
>2B but no Nier or Kaine
>Konami inexplicably has less even tho Raiden, the Suikoden cast, etc could get a spot
>no Kessen, Nobunaga, Samurai Cats, Deception, Fatal Frame, etc under Koei-Tecmo
>P5 and SMT4 are the only SMT reps in favour of Maya/Tatsuya/Minako/Minato for Persona or Raidou/Demifiend/etc for mainline SMT, ignoring other Atlus IPs like Maken or Catherine

Can't say I'd play it.
I will not rest until I see my boys playable in fighting game format.
DoayyDAUcAAl8fX.jpg

osby

Smash Obsessed
You are a man of culture. Now I want Catherine music in Smash. Y'all really don't know how hard Catherine music goes.

I don't care if it's not a battle music, can we add Yo while we are at it?

blackghost

Smash Champion
I think Lara's issue is more that, despite being rather iconic, she just doesn't have the clout someone like Cloud or Sora have. At least not anymore.

But more than that is that she just isn't popular with Smash fans, at least not as much as some other SE characters. And I feel there isn't a lot of overlap between Tomb Raider fans and Nintendo fans at this day and age.

I don't think she's quite a washed up rockstar-tier character like Duke Nukem, not anymore anyway. But I don't exactly see her happening before someone like Sora, a DQ character or even a second FF character.
im sorry what? laura croft just had a movie come out. laura croft is on her 3 major release since 2013. she has had a card game, an arcade game, a puzzle game, and a mobile game. the last 3 were in the past 4 years. source :https://www.giantbomb.com/tomb-raid...id=29332&sharedid=1096865&ftag=ACQ-09-10aag0a

laura is still a big deal and i do agree with you on a FF character but ONLY if its sepiroth. the other FF characters are probably behind her.

i think people tend to use the "Nintendo fan" argument as a shield. most Nintendo fans i personally know are fans of good games in general. Nintendo is just the consistent producer of high quality. but many gamers own the Nintendo console AND a pc or one of the other systems. the exclusive gamer is dying not the norm. If anything there is MORE overlap between fans of different characters and games not less.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I really want Incineroar so the WWE memes can overtake Bowsette. Also, pile driver down throw or riot.
If the inevitable wrestling memes don't make people warm up to him, they're beyond help.
I hope he can hit people with chairs or tables aswel, but that's probably asking too much. However his concept art might give him that anyway. Also elbow drop please and supplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom