• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You know, I have to ask: Would anyone be legit upset if Geno or Bandana Dee really did get in? Considering the growing consensus of “literally who” and “Hat Goomba” that is being applied to the two of them respectively, I’m beginning to wonder if the detractors of those characters outweigh the fans.
I'd kinda be upset if Geno got in over another Square rep, not gonna lie.

Like, Square Enix has a lineup of legendary characters (Sora, Erdrick, Lara Croft, Adam Jenson, etc.) and they go with Geno, a one off character from a game released over 20 years ago and didn't even release in Europe until three years ago.

Bandana Dee is more than okay with me. There's a case for him being one of the few Nintendo all-stars left at this point, and I can definitely see that.

Of course, if one or both get in the game, that's perfectly fine, and I'll be happy for their fans so long as it doesn't get to their heads. This is still going to be a great game regardless.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The stages I'm most excited to play on:

1. Kongo Falls
2. Jungle Japes
3. Mario Galaxy Omega/BF form
4. Pokemon Stadium 1(/2) (without hazards)
5. Prism Tower
6. Yoshis Story/Island (Melee)
7. Final Destination
8. Kongo Jungle (64)
9. Mario 3D Land (for casual matches)

I'm not really super hyped about most stages in terms of design tbh. :/ But the first few (1-3) are amazing. I'm sure more as well in their new forms.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's go all the way! Viewtiful Joe! Roll! Dan Hibiki! MegaMan.EXE! Bring back Ruby Heart while we're at it!
Joe would make such a good assist trophy I'm just saying
Just add Monster Hunter while you're at it, she was cool in Infinite. Also Jin Saotome, because I want to fight as a mecha pilot again.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It would be perfect if Incineroar ends up being fighter 69

Mod Edit: Link removed due to inappropriate content.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So umm, what do you think spirits is gonna be. More like Subspace or Melee's Adventure Mode?
I want to say Subspace Emissary but I think only boss rush mode will be like that. I think it's either or neither both of them.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Like, Square Enix has a lineup of legendary characters (Sora, Erdrick, Lara Croft, Adam Jenson, etc.) and they go with Geno, a one off character from a game released over 20 years ago and didn't even release in Europe until three years ago.

Bandana Dee is more than okay with me. There's a case for him being one of the few Nintendo all-stars left at this point, and I can definitely see that.

Of course, if one or both get in the game, that's perfectly fine, and I'll be happy for their fans so long as it doesn't get to their heads. This is still going to be a great game regardless.
But Geno's so cool!

D

Deleted member

All I care about at this point is to know the full music list. Give me the FE remixes please.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It would be perfect if Incineroar ends up being fighter 69

Mod Edit: Link removed due to inappropriate content.
What the **** did I just watched? Asking out of academic curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbybae

Smash Cadet
I just wanna let you know, who will be a "WHO?" character in Smash Ultimate?

In Melee we got Marth/Roy

In Brawl we got Pit/R.O.B.

In Smash 4 we got Shulk

So who will be the next one??
Marth / Roy were your WHO characters in melee? I mean sure but not ... Mr. Game and Watch ?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
these are my favorite posts on smashboards. the characters that have been through this treatment include but are not limited to:
chun-li
This community has conveniently forgotten that had it not been for the concept of echoes, Chun-Li would be more demanded/expected than Ken.

D

Deleted member

So umm, what do you think spirits is gonna be. More like Subspace or Melee's Adventure Mode?
I'm not ruling out the possibility it's Smash Run 2.0, TBH.

Which I would totally be okay with because Smash Run was pretty great.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Geno has importance just by being part of the Smash fandom for such a long time but also because Super Mario RPG basically saved the genre in North America.

I think about my personal Squeenix picks that are actually possible - Neku, Crono - and I can't totally name anything they have over Geno on a first-glance perspective outside of them being the protagonists of their games instead of a side-character. Like, yeah Chrono Trigger is a classic but it was hardly killer at the time, and TWEWY is the same way but for DS.

I dunno! There are so many factors to weigh into this potential Squeenix rep that I just end up talking myself into a circle. I know who I'm pulling for, but I think anyone that isn't Noctis would satisfy me.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
You know, I have to ask: Would anyone be legit upset if Geno or Bandana Dee really did get in? Considering the growing consensus of “literally who” and “Hat Goomba” that is being applied to the two of them respectively, I’m beginning to wonder if the detractors of those characters outweigh the fans.
I think both characters absolutely should make it in (though Dee is looking more and more like he'd have to make it in as DLC).

I have kind of an opposite thought process at this point. I strongly believe it's fair that the largest (reasonable) fan requests be fulfilled.

Yes, Smash is a celebration of gaming history and brings in some of the biggest names in gaming, but Ultimate has made it very clear that more than anything it's about addressing fan desires, and Geno has been one of the most consistently begged-for characters, along with being someone that the big man himself has spoken about.

I know 'deserves it' is a VERY subjective argument, but given the kind of game Ultimate is, now is really the time for Geno to get his chance and finally make it in alongside Ridley and K. Rool as characters nobody thought possible. Ultimate's roster philosophy is already extremely different from other titles, and all those other SE franchises will always be popular, but Geno's only real chance is right here, right now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not ruling out the possibility it's Smash Run 2.0, TBH.

Which I would totally be okay with because Smash Run was pretty great.
Tbh, I'd like a Smash Run without a time limit. One of the best things about Subspace Emissary was that you can just take your time for the most part.

Not to say Smash Run wasn't awesome.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But Geno's so cool!
I get that you're joking, but that's not an argument. No Patrick, nostalgia is not an argument either.

The Mii Costume is a good point, as Inklings, K. Rool, and Isabelle got Mii costumes, but guess who else got Mii costumes? Ashley, Knuckles, and Zero, who are all assist trophies.

At the very least, Geno is not nearly as iconic as people make him out to be, especially compared to the other two members of the Holy Trinity.

Ridley is the main antagonist of the Metroid franchise, meaning that anyone who's played the games have likely run into him. Remember that Super Metroid and the Metroid Prime series were both incredibly popular. Additionally Ridley's fan demand was so incredibly powerful that it willed him into the game even after he was disconfirmed twice.

K. Rool is also the main antagonist of his series, and while he hasn't seen a modern appearance in a long time, people still recognize him from playing the older games. Similar to Ridley, raw fan demand got him into the game.

The thing about Geno is, he's not nearly as iconic as the above two, nor does he have the same amount of fan demand. The Geno speculation we see today didn't really pop up until after Ridley and K. Rool were revealed. Before that, Geno wasn't talked about nearly as much.

This may sound like a hot take and I may get hate for this, but Geno is the literal definition of a "who?" character.
I have kind of an opposite thought process at this point. I strongly believe it's fair that the largest (reasonable) fan requests be fulfilled.

Yes, Smash is a celebration of gaming history and brings in some of the biggest names in gaming, but Ultimate has made it very clear that more than anything it's about addressing fan desires, and Geno has been one of the most consistently begged-for characters, along with being someone that the big man himself has spoken about.

I know 'deserves it' is a VERY subjective argument, but given the kind of game Ultimate is, now is really the time for Geno to get his chance and finally make it in alongside Ridley and K. Rool as characters nobody thought possible. Ultimate's roster philosophy is already extremely different from other titles, and all those other SE franchises will always be popular, but Geno's only real chance is right here, right now.
But the largest (reasonable) fan request could very well be Sora, who had the support of the entire Kingdom Hearts community, or Erdrick, who similar to Simon hails from a legendary series, nulling any lackluster performance on the ballot (similar to Ridley, or Simon if we believe he didn't do well).

There are more possibilities than Geno. I keep saying he's the Mewtwo of this speculation cycle, in that his real requests and fan demand didn't show up until too late.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
The funny part about the "characters that we think have alot os chances"

Is that alot of people take those characters as "The Chosen Ones from God"

And start treating any other characters like ****.

For me? As a Agumon supporter, i realy think Sakurai should put Dark Horse picks.
Imagine the faces. Imagine this forum.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It is I, Count Noipula!

Anything new happen?
The new tag got removed from the Characters tab.

Now the tensions simmer...

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario RPG was released more than a decade ago in Europe. :p

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't be mean to my main! He did nothing wrong!
I was referencing that time someone made a fake leak with the "full" roster, but forgot to include R.O.B., it took us a disappointingly long time to notice. :laugh:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright place your bets.

mine: next week we get a character who isn't on Vergeben's list, said character being Porky while we get a new "Porky Means Business!" remix.

also we'll get Minecraft content revealed.

I'm bored.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I get that you're joking, but that's not an argument. No Patrick, nostalgia is not an argument either.

The Mii Costume is a good point, as Inklings, K. Rool, and Isabelle got Mii costumes, but guess who else got Mii costumes? Ashley, Knuckles, and Zero, who are all assist trophies.

At the very least, Geno is not nearly as iconic as people make him out to be, especially compared to the other two members of the Holy Trinity.

Ridley is the main antagonist of the Metroid franchise, meaning that anyone who's played the games have likely run into him. Remember that Super Metroid and the Metroid Prime series were both incredibly popular. Additionally Ridley's fan demand was so incredibly powerful that it willed him into the game even after he was disconfirmed twice.

K. Rool is also the main antagonist of his series, and while he hasn't seen a modern appearance in a long time, people still recognize him from playing the older games. Similar to Ridley, raw fan demand got him into the game.

The thing about Geno is, he's not nearly as iconic as the above two, nor does he have the same amount of fan demand. The Geno speculation we see today didn't really pop up until after Ridley and K. Rool were revealed. Before that, Geno wasn't talked about nearly as much.

This may sound like a hot take and I may get hate for this, but Geno is the literal definition of a "who?" character.
I wasn't joking at all I just really think he's cool.

Also I have no nostalgia for Geno, I wasn't even born when Mario rpg came out.
I just played it last month and I think Geno's really cool and i'd love to see him in Smash. Especially the Smash that seems to be listening to fan requests.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
And Yuji Naka created both Sonic and Girl's Garden. Simply sharing a creator doesn't automatically create an "every right to be" scenario. That's presumptuous.
There's an extreme difference between that and what I'm talking about. DMC pioneered the genre that Bayonetta is now famous for.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
. Like, yeah Chrono Trigger is a classic but it was hardly killer at the time,
W-what? Ain't Chrono Trigger so big that it was behind DKC and DQ during 1995 and sold like 2m copies on SNES before doing 1m on the DS Ver?
I'm fine with what you said, but I'm pretty sure Chrono Trigger was a big hit THE MOMENT it was out and directly seen as a masterpieces

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Resident Evil seems the most likely to get a character in out of all of these. I never owned RE4, but remember it being played everywhere. Was a quite solid franchise, does it still even live? Tekken is indeed obvious, and if Ryu can fit, so can they. I would prefer Soul Calibur however, or a character from both franchises; Yoshimitsu. I never really knew DOOM was all that big, but yes I guess DOOM 64 was pretty popular, just don't think that one good game as a Nintendo exclusive warrants playablility.
Then how about the fact the game had a major influence on the FPS genre? It’s essentially the genre’s pioneer. It’s iconic and still relevant to this day. Plus, almost every DOOM game has been on a Nintendo console bar DOOM 3. I’m not big on “Nintendo History” being a factor but it’s got a lot going for it when taking these fan rules into consideration.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Super Mario RPG was released more than a decade ago in Europe. :p
No, it wasn't. It's only been a decade, and it wasn't even a prominent release.
When asked about the possibility of a European release, Nintendo representatives said there were no plans for one, and remarked that preparing an RPG for release in Europe is far more difficult than other regions due to the need to optimize the game for PAL TV systems and translate it into multiple languages...It was released for the first time in Europe and Australia on August 22, 2008
That's still a difference in 12 years, which is massive.
W-what? Ain't Chrono Trigger so big that it was behind DKC and DQ during 1995 and sold like 2m copies on SNES before doing 1m on the DS Ver?
I'm fine with what you said, but I'm pretty sure Chrono Trigger was a big hit THE MOMENT it was out and directly seen as a masterpieces
Yeah. You hear a lot about how great Chrono Trigger was, and still is. I'd say more I hear about it more than Super Mario RPG.
Then how about the fact the game had a major influence on the FPS genre? It’s essentially the genre’s pioneer. It’s iconic and still relevant to this day. Plus, almost every DOOM game has been on a Nintendo console bar DOOM 3. I’m not big on “Nintendo History” being a factor but it’s got a lot going for it when taking these fan rules into consideration.
And this. Sakurai even acknowledged DOOM being the father of the FPS genre, so we know it's on his radar.

Look, if you want a character, that's fine. But don't make up BS fan rules to justify their inclusion.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
The ONLY thing stopping DOOM from appearing is how totally irrelevant it is in Japan.
"It is too gorey!" is a copout when Bayonetta is in and is equally as gorey.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Friendly reminder that back in the day, ALL FPS games were called DOOM clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom