• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
So quick question to everyone here. Who seems like the most likely Top 5 character to appear in Ultimate given recent events?
1. sepiroth
2. rex
3.springman
4. fjorm
5. laura croft

only one im 100 percent will be in the game is number 1.
every other character slowly drops percent.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I understand. I don't think Ultimate will have a hype final character reveal. I'm just saying that's what I'd prefer instead of a new Pokémon that is already expected
Then again we knew the roster for the previous installment which underwhelmed the surprise. I'm still not going to assume that Ken and Incineroar are the only ones yet but it won't let me down. Besides I doubt they could top the June and August directs really.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
1. sepiroth
2. rex
3.springman
4. fjorm
5. laura croft

only one im 100 percent will be in the game is number 1.
every other character slowly drops percent.
What makes you so sure Sephiroth would be in? Also, I can understand Rex-Pyra and Springman-Ribbongirl, but why Fjorm and Laura Croft?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hitagi? Is that the person who said that Steve would be in or is it someone else?
Yup. But what give him credit in the Square Enix rep is that he was the first to explain that literally no one knows who the **** that Characters is because people's job are on the line.
Which Vergeben later confirmed by saying that Square give fake names to employee to catch the leakers and Nintendo is playing along

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I've shortened my prediction list down to 4 fighters:

Unique:
Incineroar
Elma

Echo:
Shadow
Ken

That leaves 70 numbered fighters and 8 Echoes that can fill an 8 player smash. I don't see Ken being a semi as I highly doubt Richter is the only 3rd party Echo. He was meant to make us aware of 3rd party ones and to be giving SF a second non-clone rep would be, well in my opinion, a bit biased.

However the Square rep that Verge is insisting on has me puzzled. I believe it's Geno as this seems like a good a time as ever to finally bring him in, but that's the biggest wild card in this round of the speculation game. I'm counting Steve as out for now also.

D

Deleted member

Read "the last reveals of each game weren't hype" as "the last reveals of each game weren't the characters I wanted"

Last edited by a moderator:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
A shame that a Square-Enix Character is basically a lock for Vergeben and Hitagi making it a 3 :happysheep:
They never said it was a lock.

Vergeben said if it doesn’t happen then it could be DLC. Hitagi could just be bull****ting

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Pokemon has a lot more newcomer potential than Mario. After Toad, Waluigi (sheer fan demand) and perhaps an RPG rep, who else can they add before they start scraping the bottom of the barrel? Pokemon meanwhile has a whole new set of heavily-marketed creatures in each generation. Pokemon's newcomer potential is so great, that they could easily do a Smash-like spin-off where the roster was entirely Pokémon.
I'd say "Pokkén Tournament", but that was more of a traditional (i.e. Tekken-like) fighting game. Smash-like fighting games have become a sub-genre in and of themselves (Rivals of Aether, Brawlhalla, and Brawlout (among others) all mimic the basic formula of Smash, including the emphasis on launching opponents out of the stage boundaries, while others (like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale) put their own twist on fighting game objectives while still maintaining similar character, stage, and gameplay design sensibilities to Super Smash Bros.).

D

Deleted member

Pokemon needs a proper platform fighter spin-off. Tekken gameplay with phase shoft gimmicks don't fit it at all.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Hey guys, what's this about character playlist being updated two days ago?

That seems suspicious to me, could they have some video of unannounced character ready? And the fact that we don't know if we were getting October's smash direct, until they have robin and lucina style reveal trailer that is waiting to be announced.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
With box theory rising from the grave, I strongly encourage all of you to adopt Nihilist theory. Please join us in refuting false prophets and saving speculation.

That being said, I told ya'll we're getting a trailer in October. I hope it's someone good.

Also, my final five are:
- Incineroar
- Ken
- Shadow
- Sora
- Steve

That's a grade A final lineup right there.

And your evidence for that is...? It's not a hard stretch to believe that Pokemon went to Sakurai and held a gun to his head spoke to him about including a recent Pokemon character for promotion. It happened in Brawl with Lucario and Sm4sh with Greninja, so it could easily happen again.
Question is though, is it a direct or just an independent trailer? Assuming it happens of course.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Meanwhile, in Brawl:
:pikachu2::charizard::squirtle::ivysaur::lucario::jigglypuff:
And the other Mario characters were separated from the main crew just because Mario didn’t want to share...but now we got :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: (followed by :ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultwario:) vs :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(I count :squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard: as one):ultlucario::ultgreninja:
Pokemon has a lot more newcomer potential than Mario. After Toad, Waluigi (sheer fan demand) and perhaps an RPG rep, who else can they add before they start scraping the bottom of the barrel? Pokemon meanwhile has a whole new set of heavily-marketed creatures in each generation. Pokemon's newcomer potential is so great, that they could easily do a Smash-like spin-off where the roster was entirely Pokemon
From the main series...Waluigi, Toad, Captain Toad/Toadette, Geno, Fawful, Birdo, Kamek, Baby Mario, Paper Mario, Goomba/Koopa combo, Bowsette, King Boo, Booette, and Professor E.Gadd...then we can hit the bottom of the barrel

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I can't believe that when we get the possibility of a direct/video next week and a download card on the same day, we choose to disect the card -_-

You all go on about how bad box theory/blog Theory/card theory is, but I've only seen a couple users defend it...for not liking these kind of theories you sure talk about them a lot, especially when, and I repeat, there's potentially a direct / new video annoucnement next week.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They never said it was a lock.

Vergeben said if it doesn’t happen then it could be DLC. Hitagi could just be bull****ting
Yeah, but that Characters is happening nonetheless. Meaning there is still room for Speculation for that Characters whenever he's base game or not. That's not an issue, the issue was that you complained that speculation was dead when it's not.

Just that people doesn't seems to care for that Square-Rep and just say "lmao it's Geno"

Untouch

Smash Master
I personally didn't think we were getting a direct this month, but a direct mid october (11th or 18th) announcing a demo on the 9th makes sense to me personally.
Keep an eye out on the blog, the "NEW!" icon on the fighters section is still there.

blackghost

Smash Champion
What makes you so sure Sephiroth would be in? Also, I can understand Rex-Pyra and Springman-Ribbongirl, but why Fjorm and Laura Croft?
i think i misunderstood the list these are 5 dlc characters that could be in

1. cloud has the most iconic villain left to add to this game. cloud inclusion opens the door to him being in. sepiroth theme alone is more known than some characters that are in the game or that people want in the game. Sepithorth is also the only character they can reasonably add that would draw a reaction level that matches what cloud was.

2. rex or elma: xenoblade is here sakurai like it and it has a growing fanbase. while i think elma has better moveset potential, rex has recency on his side.

3. springman is new he is from a game that fits well into smash. offers unique gameplay and has a good design. pretty sure him and ribbon girl would be alt costumes of each other.

4. fjorm this character has been underrated and just isnt discussed here. fjorm is the forefront character of FE heroes. like it or not mobile is part of Nintendo now. Fjorm is popular and her game has made 300 million as of febuary 2018. she uses a spear and has a design that not even on smashboard
would someone accuse of being "sexual". plus waifu status always brings in money.

5. Laura is by far my biggest reach. its mostly something i want to personally see. i want to see laura fight smaus fight bayo and fight peach. laura is the biggest female character left that is a possible inclusion. i know some people dont want characters choosne based on gender but that gender status is part of laura history and legacy as a character. smash is and has been a celebration of videogame characters. laura is worthy of that inclusion.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I personally didn't think we were getting a direct this month, but a direct mid october (11th or 18th) announcing a demo on the 9th makes sense to me personally.
Keep an eye out on the blog, the "NEW!" icon on the fighters section is still there.
This is my belief as well, both big Smash presentations were within the first half of their months. It's likely the next one could be sooner than we think now that the Isabelle delay has passed and Nintendo has (assumingly) readjusted their schedule to account for it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can't believe that when we get the possibility of a direct/video next week and a download card on the same day, we choose to disect the card -_-

You all go on about how bad box theory/blog Theory/card theory is, but I've only seen a couple users defend it...for not liking these kind of theories you sure talk about them a lot, especially when, and I repeat, there's potentially a direct / new video annoucnement next week.
That’s just how we roll here

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Pokemon needs a proper platform fighter spin-off. Tekken gameplay with phase shoft gimmicks don't fit it at all.
The best thing about it would be it wouldn't just have to be the standard heavily marketed Pokemon like we have in Smash (sans Jigglypuff) or overabundance of Gen 1, but a good selection of b-tier mons which are less marketed but are highly popular with fans.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Card only further strengthens my belief in Box Theory.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It would definitely be more hype than Olimar, that's for sure.
Olimar had his fair share of fans, and also brought a new series into the game. He was kind of like what Shulk was to Smash 4, not a massive fan favorite, but had a solid fanbase nonetheless.

Ending it on a new Pokémon is like the second least hype way to go out, with a Fire Emblem newcomer probably being number one. Big franchises with many fans, but everyone and their mother knows they're getting newcomers, and even fans of those franchises won't be happy with just any addition as they're usually very split on who they want from them, so it's never going to be a surefire winner even in that regard. Like, thank god Incineroar leaked, would have been a huge mess if Decidueye and Lycanroc fans still believed their choices were the frontrunners, only to be met with huge disappointment.

I'm not saying it's unlikely or anything, just that if that's how it goes they've made a poor decision. It doesn't have to be a Ridley/K. Rool style reveal, because quite frankly it can't be, and I agree with their decision to show the biggest guns early aswell, but ending it on a Pokémon newcomer is just meh regardless of how big the series is, an Olimar/Shulk type of reveal is much better than that imo.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So wait besides the card here, what exactly pointed to a direct and/or announcement next week? I don't know how many pages back all this is at.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
any leak about a potential direct date yet?

There was one for the 16th but it was totally BS, it had like 10+ characters on it.

So wait besides the card here, what exactly pointed to a direct and/or announcement next week? I don't know how many pages back all this is at.
For the Isabelle and i think the August reveals, the character playlist on Youtube updates roughly a week to 10 days before. Its hidden, so we can't see what they updated the playlist with, but it seems like they are updated the beginning of every month, and it may lead to some sort of trailer or news drop early-mid month (6th-15th). Its happened the past 2 months, and it may happen in this month and possibly november.

Many of us are thinking just a trailer this month, possibly next week (1 or 2 characters max), with the final, big direct happening in early November the same way.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Card theory. Box theory.
Come up with a board theory that links the two together and Sakurai will confirm Big Boss as Snake's echo.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The Card only further strengthens my belief in Box Theory.
Well, the card doesn't make any sense though. It hurts the theory even. All the echoes are on the right side of their respective characters. The open space next to Ryu is on the left. You could say that they're going to move the characters around but that's the exact same thing box haters have been using to confront box theorists.

Pretty sure this is as much as the merchandising is going to get. They only put that open space on the box and the card for symmetry. I don't think it means anything. Either of them.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I see most people are still in denial, huh?
Next will come anger, then the DLC stage will be bargaining, then maybe it'll go back to anger again, then depression, and then
You know what, the acceptance stage probably won't come for a lot of people considering there are people who are still bitter over Sm4sh's final roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well, the card doesn't make any sense though. It hurts the theory even. All the echoes are on the right side of their respective characters. The open space next to Ryu is on the left. You could say that they're going to move the characters around but that's the exact same thing box haters have been using to confront box theorists.

Pretty sure this is as much as the merchandising is going to get. They only put that open space on the box and the card for symmetry. I don't think it means anything. Either of them.
Whoomp. There it is.

We tried telling ya'll but ya'll want to believe in pieces of cardboard.

Silly children. Cardboard is for the homeless. Not Smash Theories.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I see most people are still in denial, huh?
Next will come anger, then the DLC stage will be bargaining, then maybe it'll go back to anger again, then depression, and then
You know what, the acceptance stage probably won't come for a lot of people considering there are people who are still bitter over Sm4sh's final roster.
Denial of what? Could you update me of what happened?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
4. fjorm this character has been underrated and just isnt discussed here. fjorm is the forefront character of FE heroes.
Of Book II and is currently dying because she offered herself up to an Ice Dragon to kill the Fire King. If she disappears between Books II and III, she died offscreen. If Book III involves finding a cure for Fjorm's curse, good for IS for not dropping all of the Book II characters except for maybe Loki.
she uses a spear and has a design that not even on smashboard
would someone accuse of being "sexual". plus waifu status always brings in money.
People would still dismiss her for being a Fire Emblem character. Doesn't matter what unique moveset she brings.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Japanese fighter playlist was updated two days ago. I went through and checked; all the videos have the same upload date they used to, so nothing's been changed. This means that new unlisted videos were probably uploaded.

That being said, I don't think this really means anything unless you were convinced we'd already seen every character in the game. It's good practice to have video production done far in advance so you have time to fix anything that goes wrong.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The best thing about it would be it wouldn't just have to be the standard heavily marketed Pokemon like we have in Smash (sans Jigglypuff) or overabundance of Gen 1, but a good selection of b-tier mons which are less marketed but are highly popular with fans.

Papyrus Pikachu

But seriously I’d love Golisopod as a “b-tier” Gen 7 mon. Too bad it won’t happen.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I don't think it hurts it at all.

Putting an empty space right next to Ryu on the Box would give away who a character is, which is the only viable reason why they didn't showcase the side of the box with Mario on it. On the card, everyone is shown, so they'd need to manipulate Ryu's portion more to not reveal the identity of a newcomer.

Completely different scenarios. One is a 3D object with characters split between two sides, and the other is a 2D object with all characters on one side. Those different objects require different things to be done to keep the newcomers a surprise.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Denial of what? Could you update me of what happened?
Denial of there being only two characters minimum left and neither of them being "hype"
Though to be fair, NonSpecificGuy's reasoning as to why this hurts the box theory is sound.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Whoomp. There it is.

We tried telling ya'll but ya'll want to believe in pieces of cardboard.

Silly children. Cardboard is for the homeless. Not Smash Theories.
Really the card isn't compatible because it's a finalized, ready for sale design. The box isn't which is where the speculation comes from.

All the card does is prove the box isn't a final design (why wouldn't they just center the final row like the card) which..we all knew already lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom