• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But she fights like Marth?
In Smash, but not in Fire Emblem proper. Her style is based on Chrom's canonically, and Chrom's style is much more rough and in your face. More bash than stab.

Smash just made Lucina a clone of Marth to drive home the point of their connection, if anything. Like, Lucina's stance isn't anything like Marth's canon stance.

But she fights like Marth?

I mean Dark Pit uses a gun in the game as his weapon of choice if memory serves.

But... eh?
The prompt was "their own characters with their own goals"
Lucina, Dark Pit, Roy, etc are all that.

Dr Mario is iffy I guess.
Dark Pit uses like 5 different weapons (other than chapter 22). His signature weapon is a gun staff. Although he still uses a bow as his main weapon.
:061:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The issue I was bringing up was the aggressive attitude towards people discussing Fire Emblem's potential newcomers. When the topic comes up, it was being met with "Fire Emblem is already too big. if anything it needs cuts". If a different approach was taken, such as "Fire Emblem already has a lot of characters, an to get more, they might have some cuts" I probably wouldn't have even had this argument. It was the unnecessary aggressive attitude towards Fire Emblem that was the issue, making it sound like A) Fire Emblem was committing some sort of crime by having so many characters, and B) Fire Emblem fans are wrong to speculate that they may get something new without discussing what they may lose. Now, as I said moments ago, I'm done with this discussion.
If you don't wish to continue that's fine and I'll leave it at this.

Yes, some people may present the argument in an abrasive and misguided way, and yes some people might even be more motivated by a hatred of one element than a love for the whole picture, but I believe the majority of people, when presenting the "FE is too plentiful" argument, are really saying that they value how Smash balances the series within largely by their prominence and impact. So when one series seems out of whack, whether that be FE now, KI earlier, or Kirby and Star Fox before that (though imo I do believe FE the "worst offender"), it's for a love of that judicious, fair roster building over a hate of a series that prompts people to voice their thoughts of superfluousness and excess. I guarantee you if another b-tier Nintendo series was the one with six characters, it would face the same treatment.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
In Smash, but not in Fire Emblem proper. Her style is based on Chrom's canonically, and Chrom's style is much more rough and in your face. More bash than stab.

Smash just made Lucina a clone of Marth to drive home the point of their connection, if anything. Like, Lucina's stance isn't anything like Marth's canon stance.
You can see this through her animations in FE warriors compared to Marths.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Well if FE isn't going to be treated like Pokemon from here on out I say keep her but change her up a bit.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
RUMOR BELOW

Someone on Reddit says their father works at Nintendo of America as an executive, whome tole them Smash Switch is a new game.

I know that sounds like an obvious lie or a joke, but someone looked them up based on their history and they appear to actually be the son of Flip Morse, who according to Bloomberg.com (and Flip Morse's own pages) is the Senior Vice President of Corporate Resources for Nintendo of America.

Everything this user has posted about themselves checks out to be true. Take it with a grain of salt as always, but they've at the very least seriously dedicated themselves to pretending to be Flip Morse's real son if they are lying (which I doubt based on how old this account is and how frequently it's used.)

(If this is against the rules, or considered to be invading this person's privacy too much I'll remove it. I tried my best to tell as much as I could without giving any real personal information I found of this person other than what they posted publicly in the one thread.)
Not going to lie, seeing this rumour is making me nostalgic for Smash 4 pre-release speculation.

I'm so ready for this.

Regarding the leak itself, I'm on the fence. I'll see how things pan out before jump on either #TeamReal or #TeamFake.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I believe Marth, Ike and Robin represent FE well and should serve as Smash staples.

Technique, strength and magic.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Not going to lie, seeing this rumour is making me nostalgic for Smash 4 pre-release speculation.

I'm so ready for this.

Regarding the leak itself, I'm on the fence. I'll see how things pan out before jump on either #TeamReal or #TeamFake.
#TeamFakeButIStillThinkItsANewGame

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

I'm so ready for this.

There's also the (big) possibility that if it is real, but they simply misinterpreted it. "New game" could still be a new port if that's what they considered it. We have no real way to tell.

I'd also like to say if it is fake I think it's silly that this is the only information they'd have. They could just be really petty, but I think they would try to throw stuff in more important than the whole "new game" thing.

Regarding the actual truth of him claiming to be their son, they have posted a few pictures of themselves which seem to check out but I haven't seen anything of them recently. (The person they are claiming to be is real, at least, and the information they've given about themselves in the past is true to Flip Morse's real son. This much I know. Also worth noting this account is 2 years old and has been posting about things completely unrelated to Nintendo but still accurate from what I've seen from way before Smash Switch was revealed.)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I believe Marth, Ike and Robin represent FE well and should serve as Smash staples.

Technique, strength and magic.
Agreed. I think for sure those three should stay.

Other than them, I think having DIFFERENT characters would be beneficial for smash as a series.

Brawl will always be "the one with Snake" and I think that's neat.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Agreed. I think for sure those three should stay.

Other than them, I think having DIFFERENT characters would be beneficial for smash as a series.

Brawl will always be "the one with Snake" and I think that's neat.
The other three slots would be great for exploring different weapon types.

That's all I want really. But yeah those three are pretty solid Robin could maybe use some buffs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
****ing hell can I just say how amazing it would be if we just once got a correct rumour that began with "my [insert here] works at Nintendo" :laugh:.

Though idk, this example isn't much of a rumour tbh.

I just find it so interesting how quickly fans will claim a character that plenty of people enjoy should be given the axe, simply so that they get their own character...as if that is in any way how the planning time is used.

It’s like, “Eh, I don’t play or like that character. I don’t care how different they are and what they add to the game, they’re NOTHING in comparison to what my character of choice can do!”

It seems interesting to me that this mentality is used to empower adding other characters...as if the character couldn’t get in on merit alone and would only be added if another wasn’t. Seems somewhat selfish and...sad, no?
In that situation I agree that such argumentation is misguided at best, but more often I see the perspective that the issue stems from the inclusion itself more than some specific exclusion. For whatever that's worth.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, help me out here. Monika moveset.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still stand by the statement that Celica would be really neat.
I also still stand by the statement that Chrom would be neat but there's a big Sakurai-shaped obstacle in his way...

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
So anyone think Metroid has a shot at getting a newcomer?
I seriously hope so. With Federation Force and Samus Returns just having released (and along with it, cementing Prime into canon) and Prime 4 just around the corner I really hope they've genuinely considered giving us another Metroid character.

Sylux seems the most likely to me, being that they're the most relevant Metroid character right now.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Zelda's "New" move set for Super Smash Bros. 2018
upload_2018-3-12_23-17-23.jpeg

Neutral Special: Daruk's Protection - Deploy a shield to reflect projectiles and cause damage. (Replaces Nayru's Love)

Side Special: Urbosa's Fury - Cast a lighting spell that can paralyze and launch opponents. (Replaces Din's Fire)

Up Special: Revali's Gale - Recover with a cyclone of wind (replaces Farore's Wind)

Down Special: Mipha's Grace - Channel energy to replenish health. Makes you immobile and vulnerable.

Last edited:
Ridley is Ridley (Although I haven't entirely given up hope for him in this game)

The only alternative is Sylux, who I dont think would get in just based on the hinting of Fed Force. If Prime 4 was far enough along that details were passed to Sakurai, and Sylux is prominent, I suppose they have a chance, although I wouldnt put it at a high one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I also still stand by the statement that Chrom would be neat but there's a big Sakurai-shaped obstacle in his way...
Chrom would be neat in the same way eating an untoasted white breaded sandwich with at most two layers in the middle is neat. :troll:

I do like Celica though, too bad her game was a remake instead of a new title.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I seriously hope so. With Federation Force and Samus Returns just having released (and along with it, cementing Prime into canon) and Prime 4 just around the corner I really hope they've genuinely considered giving us another Metroid character.

Sylux seems the most likely to me, being that they're the most relevant Metroid character right now.
Yeah Sylux seems like he might have the best shot. It could be another Roy/ Woolly World situation too, where he appears in Smash prior to MP4 being released with a moveset to reflect MP4.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Ridley is Ridley (Although I haven't entirely given up hope for him in this game)

The only alternative is Sylux, who I dont think would get in just based on the hinting of Fed Force. If Prime 4 was far enough along that details were passed to Sakurai, and Sylux is prominent, I suppose they have a chance, although I wouldnt put it at a high one.
Both Prime 3 and Federation Force have pointed to Sylux being a prominent character in Prime 4, so I definitely think it's been decided to a long time now. Of course, things definitely could have changed between 2007 and now.

Yeah Sylux seems like he might have the best shot. It could be another Roy/ Woolly World situation too, where he appears in Smash prior to MP4 being released with a moveset to reflect MP4.
Also worth noting he is playable in the Prime Hunters' multiplayer, so I think there is enough for them to work a moveset off of even without Prime 4.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
This is stunning!
It wasn't as catchy as the first one, but since this is just a mock up. I just can't wait to hear the real deal.

I really would love this as the actual theme, the way it transitions to Melee and Brawl's theme is perfect
To be honest, it will be a bit lame if this is the actual theme... I hope the official one can have a better orchestra and band.

And man, this thread is going fast.. . Brings back the good old days...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom would be neat in the same way eating an untoasted white breaded sandwich with at most two layers in the middle is neat. :troll:

I do like Celica though, too bad her game was a remake instead of a new title.
Why must you hurt me?

Honestly I don't think the remake thing matters. It's not really like, say, a Pokémon or Zelda remake. Her game was a remake of an obscure Japan-only Famicom title with a ton of new things added and most characters not even resembling their original selves. For like 90% of its market, for all intents and purposes, it was a straight-up new game.

Plus I mean Sakurai liked Gaiden enough to give it two songs in Smash before it even had a remake lol.
But honestly her bigger issue is just that we don't know when the roster was decided. Since SoV started development in 2015, it could have overlapped with roster selection, but if the roster was chosen when FE16 started development, well, RIP.

I can easily see either Dark Samus or Sylux getting into the roster just to keep the headspace reminded about Metroid Prime 4 and it's eventual release.
Yeah. . .but sakurai doesn't use smash as an advertisement or to keep people's headspaces filled. Corrin is the closest thing we have to an exception.
Both Prime 3 and Federation Force have pointed to Sylux being a prominent character in Prime 4, so I definitely think it's been decided to a long time now. Of course, things definitely could have changed between 2007 and now.
Im sure he is going to be in the future of metroid, but I would assume it's hard for someone like Sakurai to get really excited about a character that hasnt been anything more than a post-credits teaser for 12 years (wtf hunters was so long ago)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Regarding the "rumor", I believe that he might actually be the son of a Nintendo employee. But I don't believe he actually knows what he's claiming.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I just hope Chrom gets a line update to emphasize his usefulness to Robin

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why must you hurt me?
I can heal you from your wounds. You seem to ignore the fact that I agree with Chrom and Isabelle in Smash Brothers. :joyful:
Yes.

Ridley isn't too big.
Not trying to start a fight, but Ridley is too big.
I say a decent chance. Maybe Ridley if the other side of the team decides to convice Sakurai. Either way, I think Metroid is a little unlikely of having a new-comer. No one besides Ridley is that good and I guess you can say Sylux though. For now Samus and ZSS are fine.
I just hope Chrom gets a line update to emphasis his usefulness to Robin
Speaking of that image, I really want that outfit to make an appearance in Robin's certain "alt". That armor looks nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Regarding the "rumor", I believe that he might actually be the son of a Nintendo employee. But I don't believe he actually knows what he's claiming.
This is what I personally believe as well.

Everything checks out for them to be the actual son (I'm avoiding naming their real name because I think that's a violation of privacy), but there's just no real way to know if it was a misinterpretation, miscommunication, joke, etc;

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why must you hurt me?

Honestly I don't think the remake thing matters. It's not really like, say, a Pokémon or Zelda remake. Her game was a remake of an obscure Japan-only Famicom title with a ton of new things added and most characters not even resembling their original selves. For like 90% of its market, for all intents and purposes, it was a straight-up new game.

Plus I mean Sakurai liked Gaiden enough to give it two songs in Smash before it even had a remake lol.
But honestly her bigger issue is just that we don't know when the roster was decided. Since SoV started development in 2015, it could have overlapped with roster selection, but if the roster was chosen when FE16 started development, well, RIP.
I am the anti-Possum. :evil:

And it's possible it won't matter, but... there's not much precedent to support that theory, so I'm refraining from embracing it until there is. Especially since it's not like FE has been hurting for new titles lately.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think revamping Zelda's magic sparkles into magic sparkly Eastern-style dragons (like the ones in BotW) would be a visual improvement and further highlight Zelda's elegance (even in battle).

Example: Neutral aerial is a serpentine, transparent energy dragon spiraling around her body.

D

Deleted member

Not trying to start a fight either, but Ridley isn't too big.

Kraid is too big.
You know, I respect your opinion. I am not going to make a long essay why I think Ridley should not be in Smash Brothers.
Kraid would actually be a good idea for a boss in Adventure Mode. The Metroid series in Smash Brothers could use some more representation, so why not put another boss besides Ridley in a Metroid stage or Adventure Mode?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You know, Ridley is actually smaller in Smash 4 than he was in Brawl. Perhaps he is growing in reverse and now he is the right size to be in the game :thinking:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You know, I respect your opinion. I am not going to make a long essay why I think Ridley should not be in Smash Brothers.
Kraid would actually be a good idea for a boss in Adventure Mode. The Metroid series in Smash Brothers could use some more representation, so why not put another boss besides Ridley in a Metroid stage or Adventure Mode?
I could type out a big thing on why I think he's not too big but I'm tired.

I can agree with you on Kraid being an amazing boss for some sort of adventure or story mode, it's an amazing idea. especialy if he shoots platforms like in super metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom