• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
RUMOR BELOW

Someone on Reddit says their father works at Nintendo of America as an executive, whome tole them Smash Switch is a new game.

I know that sounds like an obvious lie or a joke, but someone looked them up based on their history and they appear to actually be the son of Flip Morse, who according to Bloomberg.com (and Flip Morse's own pages) is the Senior Vice President of Corporate Resources for Nintendo of America.

Everything this user has posted about themselves checks out to be true. Take it with a grain of salt as always, but they've at the very least seriously dedicated themselves to pretending to be Flip Morse's real son if they are lying (which I doubt based on how old this account is and how frequently it's used.)

(If this is against the rules, or considered to be invading this person's privacy too much I'll remove it. I tried my best to tell as much as I could without giving any real personal information I found of this person other than what they posted publicly in the one thread.)
No ****ing way we're falling for this ****.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You're taking my opinion as like a fact. I think you're getting worked up over nothing. My opinion is one out of 7.5 billion my dude. Just because I think X should be removed doesn't mean it will happen.
I mean at this point I'm going to be done with the argument. I would just like to be able to discuss who is possible rather than who is cut.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It almost always seems like people flat-out wanting characters to be cut is because of bias of some kind.

They really have nothing much to gain from it except not have to fight a character they don't like fighting.

I'm not gonna accuse everyone who wants character cut is because of such a reason, but in any case, there's really still nothing to be gained from it. Where some people are satisfied, many will be hurt. You can't please everybody. You simply can't.
I'm sort of on the other end of that discussion where I believe there will be cuts, though I can't say specific who I think will be cut because I couldn't even begin to guess. Frankly, I only believe that because I honestly feel Smash 4 reached the upper limit to how many characters can reasonably be supported in the game proper. So if this is a new product and not a overall port. I don't think the view that all 58 character from Smash 4 are going to be going to be put in + all new characters is realistic and is likely going to lead to people being disappointed by thinking that way.

That's where my mind goes in regards to cuts myself.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
What if the "Marth clone but his sword is even" idea gets translated to a different Fire Emblem character. Namely, I could totally see Alm taking over that spot.
I wouldn’t like that to be honest. Alm is much more rough and tough compared to the more regal Marth I mean, granted... Lucina in canon fights like Chrom, who is very much like Alm, but eh. I just don’t see Alm doing the same light footed sword moves that Marth does. If we really needed a Marth clone, ironically, Celica probably works better if Warriors is any indication.

Edit: I forgot what names are

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Money on the table saying that Gen 7 will be OVER with at the end of the summer.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Clone Bloat is a serious issue, Jim.

The problem is not clones, but demanding that each clone come back in the next game.

Sakurai described the clones in Sm4sh as free ice cream offered after your delicious meal. But if you are forced to carry each clone into the next game, then you are forced to fill up on ice cream before your lobster, stuffed pheasant, artichoke and squash soup arrive. Meaning less tasty food.

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
If he is proven to be the son of someone at Nintendo, I will change my avatar to something stupid until the next year.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'd just want to say that expecting a cut =/= wanting that character cut.

It's not polite to want a cut, but expecting a cut is acceptable imo

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
No ****ing way we're falling for this ****.
Like I said, grain of salt. Their identity appears to be true based on what I've found, but I'm in no way saying that it's absolutely true.

I recommend a lot of skepticism.

If anyone wants to look into this more than I have, I recommend it.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wouldn’t like that to be honest. Alm is much more rough and tough compared to the more regal Alm. I mean, granted... Lucina in canon fights like Chrom, who is very much like Alm, but eh. I just don’t see Alm doing the same light footed sword moves that Marth does. If we really needed a Marth clone, ironically, Celica probably works better if Warriors is any indication.
Alm sort of strikes me as a middle ground between Ike and Marth. He is classified as a Warrior in his game, so that sort of points at him being really strong, but he doesn't fight with that big beastly sword in Ragnell. I wouldn't really want Smash to work to find that middle ground for a character when we could get someone like Lyn or Ephraim lol.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think the trailer made it pretty clear that it's a new game. At this point anyone can claim they have a "leak" by stating the obvious

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Isn't there nearly as many individual recruitable Fire Emblem characters as there are individual Pokemon? Like, within 100 or so?

I think the injustice is that the games have so much more variety to offer than blue haired and/or sword wielding characters.

Which is the very reason I oppose doubling up on Pokemon with the same primary typing unless the character is overwhelmingly popular/vastly different.

Oh boy rumors! Rumors are like snow; really fun at first but you feel like you are in The Shining after a month or two.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I agree with almost all of this. However, I'm not entirely sure Dark Pit was a good comparison there, as he's a clone and those have been confirmed already that they don't take away from other characters because they're added late into development. That being said, it's also been said that characters don't steal slots from each other, as Sakurai has stated that he does not believe in the concept at all.

Basically, you're on the right track, but for the wrong reason :p

I will definitely agree with you on that "nothing to gain from" sentiment. Couldn't have said it better myself.
That's kind of the point I was trying to get at, though.

DP is an addition that, while I do find rather pointless, takes up so little time and effort that, would mean nothing good for any other unique characters, or anything else, really, if he were cut.

It is true that even unique characters being cut wouldn't mean much of anything good, either, though. And they certainly don't "steal slots" either. I stopped believing in that idea years ago.

RUMOR BELOW

Someone on Reddit says their father works at Nintendo of America as an executive, whome tole them Smash Switch is a new game.

I know that sounds like an obvious lie or a joke, but someone looked them up based on their history and they appear to actually be the son of Flip Morse, who according to Bloomberg.com (and Flip Morse's own pages) is the Senior Vice President of Corporate Resources for Nintendo of America.

Everything this user has posted about themselves checks out to be true. Take it with a grain of salt as always, but they've at the very least seriously dedicated themselves to pretending to be Flip Morse's real son if they are lying (which I doubt based on how old this account is and how frequently it's used.)

(If this is against the rules, or considered to be invading this person's privacy too much I'll remove it. I tried my best to tell as much as I could without giving any real personal information I found of this person other than what they posted publicly in the one thread.)
Was truthfully hoping we wouldn't see many "leaks" this time around, but I suppose they're all but inevitable at this point.

Even four/five years later, I'm kinda worn out on leaks after the whole ordeals with the Gematsu leak, and the complete roster leak that came much later after it.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I'd just want to say that expecting a cut =/= wanting that character cut.

It's not polite to want a cut, but expecting a cut is acceptable imo
Yup. Ideally, I don't want anybody to be cut, but the only reason why I'm speculating FE cuts is because I think that's the more realistic option.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Alm is much more rough and tough compared to the more regal Alm.
I agree, tbh.

(Either way I mostly said that cause they all have a falchion. idk)

Alm sort of strikes me as a middle ground between Ike and Marth. He is classified as a Warrior in his game, so that sort of points at him being really strong, but he doesn't fight with that big beastly sword in Ragnell. I wouldn't really want Smash to work to find that middle ground for a character when we could get someone like Lyn or Ephraim lol.
Now that you mention it, Alm would be a great Roy skin.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I have an idea for clones like Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. Instead of putting them in the roster, why not take notes from the Injustice games with Premium costumes like Bizarro or the entire TMNT?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well the beauty of all those things is that you can skip them (except the athlete thing I guess?) and still enjoy the final product. If there's characters in the game you don't necessarily like being in the game, you can skip them. Nobody is making you play them. Is making that statement about what Smash is selfish? Probably. But I'm trying to promote an inclusive environment to discuss Smash without being aggressively approached about removing something that is important to people merely to gain the knowledge that it isn't there anymore because you happened to not like it.
But wanting something gone isn't motivated by a hatred of that thing so much as it is by a fondness of the ultimate product. Suggesting something be removed is so that person can enjoy that product even more. Just because other people can and will disagree is not reason enough to censure that person for desiring what is, to them, the ideal.

Again the problem arises when one imposes that subjectivity on others, not simply for holding the belief. I would like a lot of characters in Smash gone, and I don't view Smash the same way you do. There is no correct way to view Smash; it's always going to be in the eye of the beholder.

In this vein, I believe those who seek to tell people they ought not desire cuts are encroaching just as much as those who seek to impose the cuts in the first place. Predicting is all well and good, but it's tangential to what people want out of a roster. If people want a purely Nintendo Smash, are they wrong for wanting the third-parties out? They'd be wrong should they expect it to happen, but they're not wrong for holding that desire, that value. They value the game for something else.

And believe me, skipping those undesirable parts to many is the saving grace of them being there in the first place.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Clone Bloat is a serious issue, Jim.

The problem is not clones, but demanding that each clone come back in the next game.

Sakurai described the clones in Sm4sh as free ice cream offered after your delicious meal. But if you are forced to carry each clone into the next game, then you are forced to fill up on ice cream before your lobster, stuffed pheasant, artichoke and squash soup arrive. Meaning less tasty food.
I say wipe them out... Or change the ones who are legitimately different people like Dark Pit.

I have an idea for clones like Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. Instead of putting them in the roster, why not take notes from the Injustice games with Premium costumes like Bizarro or the entire TMNT?
Well TMNT are actually different characters right? At that point not putting them on the roster doesn't serve a purpose other than not putting them on the roster.

And then. . .as it gets repeated forever, making them alts is a punch in the gut for people who played the characters they played get demoted. (and even then, if you already have them playable as clones, it probably wont be too far off to make them regular clones again)
:061:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
My only issue with this is I feel Dr. Mario has absolutely earned his own identity in Smash, since he plays quite differently compared to how Mario does in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
But wanting something gone isn't motivated by a hatred of that thing so much as it is by a fondness of the ultimate product. Suggesting something be removed is so that person can enjoy that product even more. Just because other people can and will disagree is not reason enough to censure that person for desiring what is, to them, the ideal.

Again the problem arises when one imposes that subjectivity on others, not simply for holding the belief. I would like a lot of characters in Smash gone, and I don't view Smash the same way you do. There is no correct way to view Smash; it's always going to be in the eye of the beholder.

In this vein, I believe those who seek to tell people they ought not desire cuts are encroaching just as much as those who want the cuts in the first place. Predicting is all well and good, but it's tangential to what people want out of a roster. If people want a purely Nintendo Smash, are they wrong for wanting the third-parties out? They'd be wrong should they expect it to happen, but they're not wrong for holding that desire, that value. They value the game for something else.

And believe me, skipping those undesirable parts to many is the saving grace of them being there in the first place.
The issue I was bringing up was the aggressive attitude towards people discussing Fire Emblem's potential newcomers. When the topic comes up, it was being met with "Fire Emblem is already too big. if anything it needs cuts". If a different approach was taken, such as "Fire Emblem already has a lot of characters, and to get more, they might have some cuts" I probably wouldn't have even had this argument. It was the unnecessary aggressive attitude towards Fire Emblem that was the issue, making it sound like A) Fire Emblem was committing some sort of crime by having so many characters, and B) Fire Emblem fans are wrong to speculate that they may get something new without discussing what they may lose. Now, as I said moments ago, I'm done with this discussion.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yes, and I guess Lucina because if memory serves she wants to be Marth?
She doesn’t fight like him though. Common misconception, she fights like Chrom, who is more like Ike than Marth.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I can see Roy being the character is most always going to be DLC. Some Fighting Games do this with certain popular characters.

Though, if this is Smash 4.5, he'll probably stay.
Well according to this years "Mr.MyDadWorksAtNintendo", it's a new game.
Roy! You'd better appreciate all of these $5 I'm spending on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom