• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Just something I thought I'd point out.

Tropical Freeze started development too late for Sakurai to consider adding content from that game in the last Smash.

What games do you think will have this same issue?
The only one I feel will suffer from this (out of the games confirmed) is Retro's game. I say that because Prime 3 wasn't present in Brawl despite debuting the year before and Tropical Freeze wasn't present despite debuting the year of Smash 4's release, and it's likely because it's harder to share information between them due to being in different countries. Metroid Prime 4 could also get overlooked since unlike Pokémon and FE it's not confirmed for this year and it's outsourced to a different team outside of Nintendo's usual staff, but that's dependent on who's working on it in the first place (if it's Namco for instance, it may not be any trouble at all).

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Who do you guys think is likely to be cut if this is a Smash 5?
If someone HAS to be cut, which I don't think will happen, I'd say clones go first. If a full-blown character gets cut, maybe one of the third parties or Corrin. I think Corrin seems fairly disliked as an actual character and the Fates series wasn't very well received by the fans if we ignore the sales numbers. Corrin is fun to play and I really enjoy them in Smash, but maybe they get cut for a more likable FE character.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
If someone HAS to be cut, which I don't think will happen, I'd say clones go first. If a full-blown character gets cut, maybe one of the third parties or Corrin. I think Corrin seems fairly disliked as an actual character and the Fates series wasn't very well received by the fans if we ignore the sales numbers. Corrin is fun to play and I really enjoy them in Smash, but maybe they get cut for a more likable FE character.
I pretty much agree except in addition I would cut The Mii Fighters since you can't used them online and generally nobody even likes them.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I pretty much agree except in addition I would cut The Mii Fighters since you can't used them online and generally nobody even likes them.
Right, I forgot about Miis because they already don't exist in my mind lol. I really hope they get cut. Not usable online, generally banned from offline competitive play, you actually have to go out of your way to make them which kind of goes against the pick-up-and-play attitude casual Smash has... Let's hope they're the first to go.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Pokemon seems to be one of the more cut-prone series in Smash so far, so I for one see Greninja getting the boot since that gen has come and gone.

Hopefully they at least keep Mewtwo.

I made this if ya'll want to vote:

https://goo.gl/forms/mSTNG5SEEPKVRkk13

It's a poll regarding who you wanna see in the new game.
ARMS character? Ganon? Tingle? Wonder Red? Dillon?

I can't honestly vote on this, man!

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think the only reason people dislike Corrin was bad timing, the fact that he was shown at the last Smash direct as a dlc character and making him the 6th FE character which made people fed up, but he plays different so I hope he doesn't go anywhere.
And yes, normally the clons have gone first, with a few exceptions, so let's hope it is the case once again if it has to happen. Dr Mario and Roy would be my first choices.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm the opposite.

I'm hoping Miis stay and get fixed in the new Smash game.

?????????????

Smash Master
Pokemon seems to be one of the more cut-prone series in Smash so far, so I for one see Greninja getting the boot since that gen has come and gone.
I really don't see that happening. Lucario never got cut, and Greninja has had his special Satoshi-Greninja transformation since the last Smash game; he still has new stuff to offer.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You made me pick between Celica, Decidueye, and Crash.
That is a special kind of evil. :p
Can't vote for more than one, 0/10 poll. (I kid, although this does make it substantially harder to pick one)
I didn't want to have multiple selections because I know that I would tick like 40 of those boxes myself to be honest. I struggled answering too but ended up voting for my boy Captain Toad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Right, I forgot about Miis because they already don't exist in my mind lol. I really hope they get cut. Not usable online, generally banned from offline competitive play, you actually have to go out of your way to make them which kind of goes against the pick-up-and-play attitude casual Smash has... Let's hope they're the first to go.
I hope that if Miis return, they're heavily reworked.

I think they SHOULD be playable in Smash, but not the way they were. In other words, I like the concept a lot more than the execution.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think the only reason people dislike Corrin was bad timing, the fact that he was shown at the last Smash direct as a dlc character and making him the 6th FE character which made people fed up, but he plays different so I hope he doesn't go anywhere.
And yes, normally the clons have gone first, with a few exceptions, so let's hope it is the case once again if it has to happen. Dr Mario and Roy would be my first choices.
When I say people didn't like Corrin, I was exclusively referring to the Fire Emblem community, not the Smash community. Corrin as a character in their home game just wasn't that exciting of a character. The games themselves also felt rather lackluster compared to the quality of other FE games. As far as Smash fans go, I personally could care less for everyone complaining about too many FE characters. Sakurai stated why they get so many, and I choose to not argue with the man.

?????????????

Smash Master
We already struggle to see FE characters BESIDES the "swordsman," so I REALLY hope they don't cut our "dragon."

I'm the opposite.

Miitopia has made me want Miis now more than ever.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I think they SHOULD be playable in Smash, but not the way they were. In other words, I like the concept a lot more than the execution.
I think the next one should just have a static moveset and build, but the mii's costume, head, hat, and equipment should still be customizable. That way, they can still be balanced as a standard character.

D

Deleted member

Do you know what I want Sakurai to do? I want Sakurai to keep all characters from Smash 4 I want Sakurai to buff the weak ones and to maybe make a little bit of nerfs. And then I want him to add some characters, and ~wala~! A perfect brand new Smash Brothers game!
Does anyone agree with me that there should be no cuts at all? Keep all characters from Smash 4. :)
I'm the opposite.

Me too, I actually love the concept of Miis. I can create any character I want like Snake and some other stupid characters. It is just, they need a buff badly in my book. Make their move-sets less laggier and a little more powerful in some instances.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Voted for Isaac.
It was a tough choice between him and Decidueye, though.
Wouldn't a gen 8 mon get in tho due to Gen 8 "possibly" releasing around the same time? I mean I want him into tho but based on how we got Greninja over Zoroark it just makes more sense.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Yeah, I mean most of my gripes with Miis do come from the poor execution. That being said I would rather we had an individual Mii character who did Wii Sports things instead of 3 completely original movesets. I'd like to roll bowling balls and loft baseballs at some losers.

?????????????

Smash Master
Corrin as a character in their home game just wasn't that exciting of a character. The games themselves also felt rather lackluster compared to the quality of other FE games.
If Smash cared what the FE community thought, we wouldn't have Roy.

But personally, I don't have this problem. I like Corrin, and Fates is my favorite Fire Emblem.

But that's just me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When I say people didn't like Corrin, I was exclusively referring to the Fire Emblem community, not the Smash community. Corrin as a character in their home game just wasn't that exciting of a character. The games themselves also felt rather lackluster compared to the quality of other FE games. As far as Smash fans go, I personally could care less for everyone complaining about too many FE characters. Sakurai stated why they get so many, and I choose to not argue with the man.
Corrin's more divisive than universally loathed. Female Corrin's still ranking pretty high on polls if we go by Choose Your Legends. Fates is also, mechanically, pretty solid. It's just the writing and story that felt like a downgrade to a lot of people (which likely happened as a result of the whole three paths thing).

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
I mean if thats the case can we maybe get someone like Lyn, Celica, or Hector as a replacement/ surprise out of nowhere FE rep?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Smash cared what the FE community thought, we wouldn't have Roy.

But personally, I don't have this problem. I like Corrin, and Fates is my favorite Fire Emblem.

But that's just me.
I'm definitely not going to bash you for liking Fates, I'm just speaking for what seems to be the larger portion of the FE community. I don't want Corrin to get cut at all. She was my main at the end of my time playing competitively. I just think that, as a unique character, she seems least popular among her fanbase from a franchise that people are crying for cuts in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Corrin's more divisive than universally loathed. Female Corrin's still ranking pretty high on polls if we go by Choose Your Legends. Fates is also, mechanically, pretty solid. It's just the writing and story that felt like a downgrade to a lot of people (which likely happened as a result of the whole three paths thing).
I have to think F.Corrin is only popular in those polls because of smash, to be perfectly honest. Smash does things to a character. Nobody plays M.Corrin in smash anyways lmao

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Be sure to add more to your post so you don't get infracted.

But, yeah. Lucario appearing in a movie first or ROB originally being a toy literally does not matter.
Well I never said if it mattered.

I was just pointing out this 'rule' for "originating in a video game" has its outliers.
This 'rule' in it's strictest sense isn't really 100% true.

They are, in fact exceptions to the 'rule', but people for some reason have a very difficult time taking this at face value.
They always seem to think i'm implying more then what i'm simply stating.
These exceptional characters are exactly that, exceptional.
That doesn't mean i'm suggesting every or any anime character is now possible because of it.

I just don't think we should pretend like these exceptions don't exist.
Regardless of how "exceptional" they are, or not.

I realize i'm becoming semantical (not an actual word, I know)

I just don't think we should pretend every character on the Smash roster actually originated in a video game, they are just highly or very closely originally associated with video games as well.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm definitely not going to bash you for liking Fates, I'm just speaking for what seems to be the larger portion of the FE community. I don't want Corrin to get cut at all. She was my main at the end of my time playing competitively. I just think that, as a unique character, she seems least popular among her fanbase from a franchise that people are crying for cuts in.
Actually, on that note...I think we can all die down now on the "Fire Emblem needs less reps" train. The series is LONG running, starting from the NES, has a huge variety of different important, interesting characters, and has built itself into one of Nintendo's most prominent series. I think the high number of "reps" is warranted.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I mean most of my gripes with Miis do come from the poor execution. That being said I would rather we had an individual Mii character who did Wii Sports things instead of 3 completely original movesets. I'd like to roll bowling balls and loft baseballs at some losers.
My ideal is to have the Mii Fighters replaced with a set encompassing Wii Sports Resort, Tomodachi Life, and Miitopia, which I think are the strongest "Mii" titles as far as giving them things to utilize. As Starcutter said, they'd still be customizable as far as appearance (Nintendo would never squander the potential DLC costume money haha) but a static Moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom