• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
This is such a "Why not both?" situation for me. Dixie has been prominent in recent DK and K. Rool is an extremely popular character, especially from what we can see.
The Donkey Kong series is so large and full of GREAT unused characters, I would love to see a LOT more in Smash.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This is such a "Why not both?" situation for me. Dixie has been prominent in recent DK and K. Rool is an extremely popular character, especially from what we can see.
I fully agree. Especially as the new content for the DK series in Smash 4 was so lacking. Aside from a new stage, I don't know what else we got?

Even ATs and items are needed for the poorly represented but major series.

We had a discussion about that a while back. I don't necessarily think it needs to be worked into its Smash iteration if it gets in. Maybe make Disguise a counter move with a fancy animation or something.
I guess that could work. I'd love to see Shadow Sneak implemented too. Disappears into the ground then appears behind the opponent.

Also, Let's Cuddle Forever as a Final Smash, just for the name.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
They could do both, like how both DDD and Meta Knight were added in brawl, but I don't see that happening unless we get a new DKC game announced at E3 or something
Who knows. Maybe Sakurai decides they're both more interesting than some other options, or K. Rool is planned and Dixie becomes one of those last minute clones. I won't rule out to possibility of both happening.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Everyone talks about adding a Pokemon from Gen VII or VIII, but I really want to see my main from Pokken, Machamp, get added in. I realize it won't happen, but it would be cool seeing Lucario vs Machamp in Smash. He could have many different grabs and another heavy to the roster. Doesn't hurt that Namco developed Pokken, either.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Yeah, I agree. I really HOPE Wolf comes back, and between Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2, I think he's got a really good shot.
Wow, I somehow forgot about Star Fox 2 finally being released.
Bringing Wolf back, maybe with an eyepatch-less alt, would be a cool way to rep that game.
Would be even cooler if we got Miyu and Faye trophies with him.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Don't think any of them are leaving, at the same time don't think any are getting added. The ones already in are the perfect and necessary ones. If I had to say just one to be cut, I think the award goes to Greninja.
There’s no way we won’t get a new Pokémon. Sun and Moon sold amazingly. If I’m not mistaken, they may be the best selling games since the originals, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Also, we have a Pokémon game coming to the Switch. We may not know much about it, but that doesn’t mean Sakurai doesn’t, and it also doesn’t mean by the time Smash comes out that we won’t know about Pokémon Switch.

Pokémon is Nintendo’s second biggest franchise. Having a high rep count wouldn’t surprise me. It shouldn’t surprise anyone really. I could totally see 7-8 Reps.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Who knows. Maybe Sakurai decides they're both more interesting than some other options, or K. Rool is planned and Dixie becomes one of those last minute clones. I won't rule out to possibility of both happening.
Out of all the obscure villains like Hades, Black Shadow, Wart, etc. I feel K Rool has the best shot + he like the Inklings got a costume before the ballot ended so hopefully he will be in.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Everyone talks about adding a Pokemon from Gen VII or VIII, but I really want to see my main from Pokken, Machamp, get added in. I realize it won't happen, but it would be cool seeing Lucario vs Machamp in Smash. He could have many different grabs and another heavy to the roster. Doesn't hurt that Namco developed Pokken, either.
I know the feeling. I'd love to have some interesting but not-gonna-happen tier Pokémon in Smash, like Chandelure, Ursaring, Shiftry, or Klefki. At least Chandelure has Pokken though.

?????????????

Smash Master
I know the feeling. I'd love to have some interesting but not-gonna-happen tier Pokémon in Smash, like Chandelure, Ursaring, Shiftry, or Klefki. At least Chandelure has Pokken though.
I was so mad Hawlucha didn't make Pokken.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Which one though? If they choose from the Alola region (Sun and Moon) it seems the most popular choices are Decidueye and Mimikyu, aside from that the only one I can think about is Meowth for his role in the tv series. Not sure Alola is popular enough to add someone from there though.. granted Sakurai decided to add Greninja before we even knew he existed, but I don't know..
Rotom Dex?

Transforms into different Rotom appliances for moves, seems like the sorta weird thing Sakurai would choose. Though honestly I doubt Gamefreaks would let him, They would push a popular pokemon like one of the current starter final forms or a Gen 8 pokemon if thats in the works or something instead.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like Jigglypuff would be another case like the Ice Climbers and whatnot, her fanbase is generally silent, but would probably become very vocal if she was cut from the roster. She's been there since the beginning and has recently become more relevant too (At least more than during the last two entries) So I don't see much reason for it to be cut, at least not deliberately.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If we are talking pokemon, Beedrill has gotta be my pick.

AT LEAST BRING HIM BACK AS A POKEBALL AGAIN

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Yeah. I really, really enjoyed Pokken and most of that enjoyment came from playing Machamp.
He may be the worst character in the game, but I still manage to beat everybody in my scene (if you can even call it that) with him.
In fact, I'd say Machamp is one of my favorite Pokemon now. Funny how a spinoff can do so much in forming your tastes on Pokemon.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
If Wolf does come back though I have a simple request...
Have either the Star Fox Assault VA come back to voice him or have Matthew Gafford who made and voiced Wolf in " A Fox In Space" from a couple years ago voices him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJentYtZXkk
Couldn’t disagree more, I want to hear cocky British asshole Wolf from 64 in the next Smash. He’s just much more iconic than the generic gruff bounty hunter vibe the others give off to me.

(Fox in Space is great though!)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
When it comes to the Pokémon, I feel whether or not they stay depends on whether they get hit by time constraints. Pichu we don't know the reason behind its cut (though there are accepted theories for it), but PT and the other two Pokémon were cut due to mechanical issues and Mewtwo got cut due to being just outside of the reach that the remaining time and resources could allow. As of now, none of the existing Pokémon would have PT's issues, so the only way I could see them cut is if the developers get to a point where they just can't finish them up, and thus that causes their omission.

Whether they would get cut I'm doubtful of though. I won't pretend there's no chance they won't get cut as Smash 4's cuts were mostly surprises for a lot of us (only Wolf was a character I remember a number of people speculating to go, and even then he wasn't the most popular option), but none of the Pokémon this time around really feel like they'd be that low priority. You could make a case for any of the six and most would agree with you on them, and it doesn't seem like Sakurai would have a reason to put anything higher in priority over them outside of maybe a Gen 7/8 Pokémon due to TCPi. So I think all six have a good chance to return, with only major circumstances forcing any changes on that matter.

Which one though? If they choose from the Alola region (Sun and Moon) it seems the most popular choices are Decidueye and Mimikyu, aside from that the only one I can think about is Meowth for his role in the tv series. Not sure Alola is popular enough to add someone from there though.. granted Sakurai decided to add Greninja before we even knew he existed, but I don't know..
Generally, the three starters, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc tend to be very popular among Pokémon fans, and all five get promotion from TCPi. If Sakurai decided to add a Gen 7 Pokémon, he'd have a few good options to choose from.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah. I really, really enjoyed Pokken and most of that enjoyment came from playing Machamp.
He may be the worst character in the game, but I still manage to beat everybody in my scene (if you can even call it that) with him.
In fact, I'd say Machamp is one of my favorite Pokemon now. Funny how a spinoff can do so much in forming your tastes on Pokemon.
I know, right? Mystery Dungeon really endeared me to Chatot, and Gale of Darkness was the first time I used Ursaring, which led to it quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

PF9

Smash Lord
Some features I'd like to see

1. Adjust how the in-game crowd reacts towards each character

You can make the crowd more sympathetic towards some characters and spiteful/venomous towards others.

2. Adjustable chemistry between characters in team battles

You can make characters more or less inclined to work with one another in team battles. If less inclined they even attack each other.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh yeah, seeing how I just made the Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) character thread What do you guys think of ANYTHING Snipperclips related coming to smash? I can see a stage for sure, and I think the actual characters from the game are possible.
Oh, I hope they have SOMETHING. To be honest...I'd be TOTALLY into the idea of having Snipperclip playable characters as an unexpected surprise.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Couldn’t disagree more, I want to hear cocky British ******* Wolf from 64 in the next Smash. He’s just much more iconic than the generic gruff bounty hunter vibe the others give off to me.

(Fox in Space is great though!)
Im imagining that now, i can see his taunts becoming a meme
:wolf:" YOUR IN MY SIGHTS" " YOUR GOING DOWN" tries to get smash ball... " CANT LET YOU DO THAT"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I find it's really tough this time to gauge who would (I would say should, but I don't really think anybody from Wii U should be cut in the first place) be cut. Pair this with the fact that characters are cut by not being a priority over other characters.

I would love to pick Sakurai's brain when it comes to that. With the characters, are there multiple developers working on characters and then sending them to Sakurai to test? How long does the character development process take?

The one thing I really like about the Pokemon roster is that every single one is a different typing, and they each play differently. You can't play Greninja the same as Mewtwo, or Lucario like Charizard. Each one, in order to succeed, needs to be played to their strengths.

I do really think it's awesome that the types covered so far are Electric, Fairy, Fire, Flying, Psychic, Fighting, Steel, Water, Dark...If Decidueye were added, we'd be getting Grass and Ghost. We'd have the starting trinity of typing, as well as Dark, Psychic, and Ghost. Those last three have always seemed to be tied together for me for whatever reason.
---
On a separate note, I'm going to throw this out there. I'm still not entirely convinced that what we're looking at is, in its entirety, a brand new game. Because of the time frame and sheer amount of content (and effort in the additional content), I am maintaining a wee bit of skepticism.

If you also consider the fact that there isn't a much larger pool of playable options since Wii U was in "speculation mode", there may be good reason to bring much of the content from Wii U over. What I mean by that, is that a large percentage of characters who were big last time are being talked about again, with not much in other contexts being different for them.

I mean really, the only characters who are more largely in the running of being added as opposed to the Wii U days are Inklings (in), Spring Man (probably in, imo), and Rex/Pyra (probably, imo). There the possibility of a character like Decidueye, who I think would be great.

New main games from larger Nintendo series that have come out since Wii U:
Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda BOTW (
already getting BOTW Link, I don't know that I really see anyone getting added. Not even Impa.)
Metroid: Samus Returns (Literally Samus)
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (getting released twice, will be out before new Smash, could get Dixie or Cranky)
Pokemon Sun & Moon (could add Decidueye here)
Kirby: Star Allies (Maybe Bandanna Dee if Sakurai sees him as more than your average ally or enemy)
Star Fox Zero (Basically 64 with a new coat of paint)
Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Series that haven't had additional games since Wii U
Animal Crossing
Punch-Out!!
Wii Fit
Pikmin (well, there IS that 3DS game)
Mother
F-Zero
Kid Icarus

Basically, I would wager that we would get characters from the series that have churned out releases in the last few years. I know, I know, people will say, "But old man Jones! Recency/relevancy doesn't matter!" But that's kinda how I'm seeing it right now. I know the development time isn't all that crazy based on the dev times of other Smash games, but something just feels...different.

By the way, by no means do I think it'll ONLY be a port. I think it'll be a port based on characters, but that character models may be updated, stages will be updated, as well as additional materials like trophies. It'll be based on Smash 4's engine, basically giving us a...Smash Bros. 4.5 (5.5?)

I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I don't think there would be a problem if it's effectively a heavily expanded port. It's a new Smash game altogether, just based on the engine of the previous game and retaining most if not all characters. Keep what we have, but just get fewer newcomers than normal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know what Pokemon I'd love in Smash?

Snorlax.
Hell yeah. I totally forgot to include him on my list before, but Snorlax would be great. There was this one fanmade browser-based Pokémon fighting game YEARS ago, and Snorlax was so fun in it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I know, right? Mystery Dungeon really endeared me to Chatot, and Gale of Darkness was the first time I used Ursaring, which led to it quickly becoming a favorite of mine.
I remember back in smash 4 speculation, I was a giant fan of having Grovyle in to represent the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spinoffs. I doubt that will happen but I'd still be a fan of some kind of PMD reference, even as a Pikachu costume.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Some features I'd like to see

1. Adjust how the in-game crowd reacts towards each character

You can make the crowd more sympathetic towards some characters and spiteful/venomous towards others.

2. Adjustable chemistry between characters in team battles

You can make characters more or less inclined to work with one another in team battles. If less inclined they even attack each other.
Adding on to that. Unique team victory animations based on the two characters that won. Like Mario and Bowser standing with their backs against each other like in the Olympic games, or Link and Zelda raising their hands with the triforce piece they have on each other, Link and Sheik playing the ocarina and harp respectively etc.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I find it's really tough this time to gauge who would (I would say should, but I don't really think anybody from Wii U should be cut in the first place) be cut. Pair this with the fact that characters are cut by not being a priority over other characters.

I would love to pick Sakurai's brain when it comes to that. With the characters, are there multiple developers working on characters and then sending them to Sakurai to test? How long does the character development process take?

The one thing I really like about the Pokemon roster is that every single one is a different typing, and they each play differently. You can't play Greninja the same as Mewtwo, or Lucario like Charizard. Each one, in order to succeed, needs to be played to their strengths.

I do really think it's awesome that the types covered so far are Electric, Fairy, Fire, Flying, Psychic, Fighting, Steel, Water, Dark...If Decidueye were added, we'd be getting Grass and Ghost. We'd have the starting trinity of typing, as well as Dark, Psychic, and Ghost. Those last three have always seemed to be tied together for me for whatever reason.
---
On a separate note, I'm going to throw this out there. I'm still not entirely convinced that what we're looking at is, in its entirety, a brand new game. Because of the time frame and sheer amount of content (and effort in the additional content), I am maintaining a wee bit of skepticism.

If you also consider the fact that there isn't a much larger pool of playable options since Wii U was in "speculation mode", there may be good reason to bring much of the content from Wii U over. What I mean by that, is that a large percentage of characters who were big last time are being talked about again, with not much in other contexts being different for them.

I mean really, the only characters who are more largely in the running of being added as opposed to the Wii U days are Inklings (in), Spring Man (probably in, imo), and Rex/Pyra (probably, imo). There the possibility of a character like Decidueye, who I think would be great.

New main games from larger Nintendo series that have come out since Wii U:
Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda BOTW (
already getting BOTW Link, I don't know that I really see anyone getting added. Not even Impa.)
Metroid: Samus Returns (Literally Samus)
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (getting released twice, will be out before new Smash, could get Dixie or Cranky)
Pokemon Sun & Moon (could add Decidueye here)
Kirby: Star Allies (Maybe Bandanna Dee if Sakurai sees him as more than your average ally or enemy)
Star Fox Zero (Basically 64 with a new coat of paint)
Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Series that haven't had additional games since Wii U
Animal Crossing
Punch-Out!!
Wii Fit
Pikmin (well, there IS that 3DS game)
Mother
F-Zero
Kid Icarus

Basically, I would wager that we would get characters from the series that have churned out releases in the last few years. I know, I know, people will say, "But old man Jones! Recency/relevancy doesn't matter!" But that's kinda how I'm seeing it right now. I know the development time isn't all that crazy based on the dev times of other Smash games, but something just feels...different.

By the way, by no means do I think it'll ONLY be a port. I think it'll be a port based on characters, but that character models may be updated, stages will be updated, as well as additional materials like trophies. It'll be based on Smash 4's engine, basically giving us a...Smash Bros. 4.5 (5.5?)

I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I don't think there would be a problem if it's effectively a heavily expanded port. It's a new Smash game altogether, just based on the engine of the previous game and retaining most if not all characters. Keep what we have, but just get fewer newcomers than normal.
You completely glossed over the Animal Crossing phone game, haha

Wait, do you mean since smash 4? because didn't the new leaf expansion, Happy Home Designer AND Amiibo Festival all come out since then as well?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
chibirobofire.png smashfire.jpg

Anybody talk about this yet? I totally forgot about this Chibi-Robo tweet but the fact it was him on fire and the new smash trailer heavily featured fire... its interesting to say the least.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Luxray could be a pretty interesting fighter in Smash. Imagine something fighting in Smash with moves reminiscent of a real life big cat, coupled with, of course, Pokemon abilities like some electrical and dark moves.

(Or maybe I'm just biased I don't know).

I think K.Rool is likelier than people give him credit for, if only for his street in Odyssey.

I do think Dixie would get in over him though.
I'm personally more confident in K. Rool this time around, for a few different reasons.

I'll be prepared if he doesn't get in yet again, but of the numerous potential newcomers that come to my mind, he's one of the more likely, imo.

Also, hey! You're back!

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
On a side note of things this game should bring to the table, I think the music selection should be vastly improved where most of the additions were medleys or not enough songs where added from a certain series (Lookin at you Midgar) plus there were so many good brawl tracks cut ( Lookin at you WarioWare, No Mona Pizza, No Mike Song, what is this madness?!).

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I have seen a few people now throw around the idea of Rabbids being newcomers in this Smash game. I do not think this will be the case, even though Mario + Rabbids has done way more than should have been possible to make people like them. What I propose is for them to be an AT and have two Rabbits pop up in front of the stage (like the Nintendog) and then do some little comedy skit thing. I feel that this would capture their nature of being weird, kinda funny and all around disruptive.

?????????????

Smash Master
Basically, I would wager that we would get characters from the series that have churned out releases in the last few years.
Additionally, I would argue we would see characters from smaller or unrepresented series; I mean, Inkling is proof of that. Given Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I think we'll see more there, I think ARMS stands a decent chance of being recognized, and...I'd LOVE to see something from Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, seeing how I just made the Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) character thread What do you guys think of ANYTHING Snipperclips related coming to smash? I can see a stage for sure, and I think the actual characters from the game are possible.
I love this idea! I'm not convinced as a character they would be entirely viable, but as a stage there's SO MUCH source material for a great theme and stage design. This had entirely not occurred to me but it's jumped right to the top of my list of cool ideas. :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom