• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
How many characters have had move "revamps" in Smash? (besides all characters receiving side special moves in Melee)

Mario: Down Special (Brawl)
Zelda/Sheik: Down Special (Sm4sh)
Shiek: Side Special (Sm4sh)
Charizard: Multiple changes (Sm4sh)

There might be a few more.

And I'm not counting "variations". Only actual moveset changes.

But more often than not, most characters remain mostly unchanged. I don't think we're going to see a bunch of move revamps, and some of you seem to be confident that you will. I'm not sure why you're so sure of this, when it's pretty rare, historically.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Actually, on that note...I think we can all die down now on the "Fire Emblem needs less reps" train. The series is LONG running, starting from the NES, has a huge variety of different important, interesting characters, and has built itself into one of Nintendo's most prominent series. I think the high number of "reps" is warranted.
Sakurai said himself that the reason FE has so many reps is because its a similar case to Pokemon, especially now that its pretty mainstream. There's just so many characters to choose from that only using a couple characters would not accurately portray Fire Emblem.

?????????????

Smash Master
But more often than not, most characters remain mostly unchanged. I don't think we're going to see a bunch of move revamps, and some of you seem to be confident that you will. I'm not sure why you're so sure of this, when it's pretty rare, historically.
It looks possible that Link might, but I STILL want Ganondorf to have WAY more.

?????????????

Smash Master
Sakurai said himself that the reason FE has so many reps is because its a similar case to Pokemon, especially now that its pretty mainstream. There's just so many characters to choose from that only using a couple characters would not accurately portray Fire Emblem.
Yeah...I wish we had some of the really interesting MOTHER characters that aren't just the main PSI boys. I would LOVE to see Duster, utilizing his thief tools and back-kicks, or Jeff, Poo, Masked Man, maybe Porky...there's so much besides just the PSI...

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I think the only reason people dislike Corrin was bad timing, the fact that he was shown at the last Smash direct as a dlc character and making him the 6th FE character which made people fed up, but he plays different so I hope he doesn't go anywhere.
Maybe in the case of the Smash fanbase, But Corrin is generally considered the least liked lord of any FE game by a large portion of the FE fanbase.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe in the case of the Smash fanbase, But Corrin is generally considered the least liked lord of any FE game by a large portion of the FE fanbase.
Well, unless you're one of those people who counts Kris, that is. :p

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Yeah...I wish we had some of the really interesting MOTHER characters that aren't just the main PSI boys. I would LOVE to see Duster, utilizing his thief tools and back-kicks, or Jeff, Poo, Masked Man, maybe Porky...there's so much besides just the PSI...
Porky would be a cool choice, but that's just because I like the idea of Smash having the villains as playable characters, that's why I want Porky, Wolf, K.Rool, Hades, etc even though most of them are never happening.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Me too, I would say Kumatora, Duster, or Kangaskhan.

?????????????

Smash Master
Porky would be a cool choice, but that's just because I like the idea of Smash having the villains as playable characters, that's why I want Porky, Wolf, K.Rool, Hades, etc even though most of them are never happening.
I have always wanted K. Rool and Ridley for this exact reason. Two of Nintendo's most iconic villains ever and they aren't playable yet!

I would love to see Hades too.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
What Pokemon should go if any?
:4pikachu: is safe
:4jigglypuff: is one of the original 12 but has been nearly cut twice maybe even 3 times, she has been nothing but a joke character with no real improvement, if she was cut I don't think people would be too mad
:4charizard: Probably safe, everyone loves Charizard,,, just make him a little less slow
:4mewtwo:I doubt that he will be cut again due to his popularity, history, and cool factor
:4lucario: A personal favorite of mine that I was worried wasn't making it to Smash 4 but I think that he is safe due to being part of the Brawl family (Ike, ZSS, Pit, Wario, etc.), Is very popular, isnt a clone, and would be weird for him to be randomly cut now
:4greninja: He is extremely popular everywhere, is very unique( however needs to learn how to dodge nerf bullets) and would surprise me if he was cut

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have always wanted K. Rool and Ridley for this exact reason. Two of Nintendo's most iconic villains ever and they aren't playable yet!

Honestly I'm surprised Hades only got a trophy in Smash 4. Him not showing up in Palutena's Guidance was pretty baffling.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Completely forgot about Ridley. Yeah Ridley and K.Rool are probably two of the most iconic villains after the ones already in to still get there. And I didn't even mention Black Shadow (F-Zero's villain) because probably not even F-Zero fans remember him.
Being realistic, I think we have a fair chance of getting Wolf back, K.Rool and Ridley have very slim chances sadly, for one reason or another.

Troykv

Smash Master
Troykv Troykv Opossum Opossum It's done! The Kyo move set has finally been completed.

As a character, Kyo shares a few mechanics with Ryu as it is essential that I do so in order to cover as much of Kyo’s ever-changing move set as possible. Despite this, he does have a unique mechanic that is exclusive to him carried over from KOF XIV, MAX Mode. You can find and explanation of said mechanic and what it entails and what Kyo is able to with it in the ‘Unique moves’ section of the move set.

Key:

LP - Light Kick
HP - Heavy Punch
LK - Light Kick
HK - Heavy Kick

And yes, I know the attacks are supposed to be labelled 'A', 'C', 'B' and 'D' respectively, but for simplicity's sake, I'm going with the SF style notation.

With that out of the way, let us begin...

As the year flew by from the excitement of the previous tournament's end, we are now declaring the opening of the new 'Super Smash Brothers' 2018 tournament. Following the time old custom, the event will be conducted as the previous one; and this year we will be introducing all-new victims-er, fighters, from all corners of the world and beyond, in a variety competitions from 1v1 to teams of three fighters and more.

That's all, break a spine...(S)

Kyo Kusanagi burns the competition!

Jab: A three hit combo attack. The first strike starts off with his standard close standing Light Kick (LK) attack, followed up with Light Punch (LP) and Heavy Punch (HP).

In case you’re curious as to why Light Kick was picked as the first attack, the idea is to allow Kyo to mitigate a weakness that many tall characters have against small characters (especially when they crouch); in that many tall character’s jabs (i.e Falcon) cannot hit crouching opponents, even when crouching next to the attacker. Kyo’s low kick will allow the player to hit a small opponent when they’re crouching and complete the jab combo.

Dash Attack: Kyo’s Nana Se attack. Thrusts out a leg towards the opponent and is unsafe on shield like many other Dash Attacks.

I cannot find a gif of this attack, but you can see it at the end of this combo in this video: https://youtu.be/x_D4Uwfa8l8?t=20s

Up Tilt:
Kyo leaps up into the air and hits the opponent twice. The move is unsafe on shield, and can be cancelled into from the first hit of his Down Forward Tilt (DFTilt).

Forward Tilt: Kyo’s standard LK. Much like many other characters’ Forward Tilts, Kyo’s is best served as a long-range poke to keep the opponent from getting in too close.

Down Tilt: A single crouching LK that can combo into a crouching LP with a second button press.

Down Forward Tilt: A character unique move where Kyo hits the opponent with sweeping attacks twice; this is where unique aspects of Kyo begin to come into play. This move can be combo into from Kyo’s Down Tilt combo, with the added benefit of being able to cancel this attack into his Up Tilt or any Special attack, allowing for combos that deal lots of damage but lack much in the way of knock-back. Great for a low poke as it’s safe on shield at max range.

Up Smash: Kyo’s standard close HP. Much like Ryu’s Heavy Up Tilt, this attack is extremely useful for anti-airing. Said move is also faster to Ryu’s aforementioned move by comparison, but also lacks the knock-back by comparison.

Forward Smash: Kyo’s blowback attack, has a minimal super armour much like Little Mac’s Forward Smash, but to a significantly lesser degree.

Down Smash: A simple sweeping kick that will often knock the opponent down, but can cause the opponent to trip, allowing for a free combo.

Neutral Air: Kyo’s jumping LK. Has a small amount of range and functions similarly to Ryu’s Nair, being able to reset quite easily at low to mid precents.

Forward Air: Kyo’s forward jump HK. Hits in front of him, but also hits above him during the initial animation, though the top hit is weaker.

Back Air: Kyo’s neutral jump HK. In this instance, Kyo spins around behind him to attack beforehand, but does not reset the direction you face like Marth and Roy.

Up Air: A move that’s visually similar to his grounded Up Smash attack. A single strike that can combo into another attack if Kyo hits the opponent whilst he is landing.

(Imagine this, but done in the air)

Down Air: Kyo’s Down HP. This attack is a spike, sending the opponent straight down rapidly towards the ground, but only once hitting at the sweet spot of the move, which are his fists. Causes very little knock-back to grounded opponents to allow for follow up attacks and does not cause grounded opponents to bounce into the air.

Kyo’s Grab is in general, nothing to be scared of. Average start-up and recovery, and pummel damage make for a grab that many would consider ‘okay’ at best, which also account for his throws, as most only serve a singular purpose bar two at most.

Forward Throw: Hits the opponent with his elbow, sending the opponent flying away from him with great knock-back at lower percents.

Back Throw: Spins around and slams his opponents with a rapid roundhouse kick, possessing great damage in exchange for knock-back. Can potentially kill at the ledge, but is dependant on the opponent's percent and DI.

Up Throw: Kyo slams his fist into the opponent and sends them flying into the air. Can potentially kill at high percents, but isn’t reliable enough to speak highly of due to it being mostly dependant on the opponent's DI.

Down Throw: Kyo’s standard back Grab from most of- if not all KOF games. Slamming his body into the opponent and launching them at an angle similar to Captain Falcon/Ganondorf’s own Down Throws, Kyo’s is able to follow up with attacks much like theirs.

Ground Neutral B: Yami Barai

Simply a large fireball that travels along the ground, and can traverse slopes. This attack grants the player a large amount of stage control, allowing Kyo to attack from both in the air and on the ground through his fireball and other attacks. Has the same amount of projectile durability as the Hadouken to compensate and does not have a stronger variation, but can projectile speed through tapping B (normal speed) and pressing B (fast). Activating it through a QCF input creates a larger version of the fireball that travels at max speed.

The air variation is a spark that falls to the ground, unlike the Hadouken. If the spark hist an opponent, they'll fly back a little, but be inflicted with good damage. When the spark hits a wall or slope, the spark will transform into the fireball and travel along the surface it touched, moving away from the blast zone and towards centre stage.

Ground Side Special: Ara Kami/Doku Kami

A side special that can be activated in multiple ways; the first is by tapping the B button to get Ara Kami, an inital lunging fire attack that is safe on shield, with multiple combo paths. Doku Kami is activated by pressing the B button, an attack that lunges further (and hence more start-up), has one combo path and is unsafe on shield unless hit at max range.

Combo paths:

(Tap B) Ara Kami -> (Up + B) Kono Kizu -> (B) Migiri Ugachi OR (A) Nana Se/Dash Attack

OR

(Tap B) Ara Kami -> (Down +B) Yano Sabi -> (B) Migri Ugachi OR (A) Nana Se/ Dash Attack*

(Press B) Doku Kami -> (B) Tumi Yomi -> (B) Batu Yomi -> (B) Oni Yaki

*This path is not a true combo due to the Yano Sabi’s start-up, and as such, Yano Sabi is good for destroying shields and should also be used as a mix up tool. Hitting airborne opponents with Yano Sabi or the Migri Ugahci used specifically in this combo path will spike the opponent.

Air Side Special: Oboro Guruma

An attack leaping into the air with strong kicks, tapping B releasing one kick, with pressing B brining out three kicks that end with the third kick that can spike at the foot, meteor anywhere else along the leg. The final kick as a small hitbox above Kyo and is overall great for horizontal recovery since it can be B-Reversed.

An example video, since I couldn't find a gif. The attack in question can be seen when Kyo flashes blue: https://youtu.be/ZzB0KoyZDUk?t=1m35s

Up Special: Oni Yaki

Kyo’s traditional Up B that has invincibility much like Shoryuken when activated through the same input. Tapping B makes it hit once, pressing B makes it hit twice, with the input making it hit once with strength somewhat comparable to the Shoryuken- but does not have the SAME strength, but does retain the same invincibility, so it's best used as a 'get off me' move. The attack is also somewhat disjointed due to the fire.

Ground Down Special: Kotu Tsuki You

Similar to Ganondorf’s Flame Wave custom move, Kyo will rush towards the opponent for a set distance depending on the button press, striking them with his elbow before pulling them into the air, causing an explosion to send the opponent flying. This move on its own is the best move at KOing opponents due to its knock-back being larger than the rest of his move set, barring fully charged smash attacks, a particular MAX Mode move and Final Smashes. Unlike Ganondorf's Side Bs, this can be blocked by shields, and as such is extremely unsafe when blocked.

Air Down Special: R.E.D Kick

A kick that starts with a leap into the air in an arc that can change height and length via ‘B’ button presses. Unlike Oboro Guruma, this attack cannot spike and can only meteor at the foot, also safe on shield when the foot hits shield. This move can also be B-Reversed.

Final Smash: Orochinagi/Ama no Murakumo

Kyo’s staple super move since KOF ’94 where Kyo creates a large serpent-like pillar of fire around him, throwing it out towards his opponent, dealing a great deal of damage and knock-back. This move can be held in place like in KOF before throwing out the move- though it does not add any benefits for doing so.

Kyo's NeoMax Super from KOF XIII. When Kyo has his MAX Mode activated and has his final Smash available, Kyo throws out a small flame. If this small flame hits an opponent, the entire screen gets filled with flames, sending everyone affected flying, the opponent who got hit with the initial small flame taking the full brunt of the attack.

Example of it can be found in this video: https://youtu.be/rpuJX5HMDuM?t=32s

Max Mode activation

Activated via A+B input. Max Mode from KOF XIV returns as a unique mechanic for Kyo. During the match, Kyo has a bar against his name, similar to Little Mac that can be charged up to 3 times. Once a single bar has been filled, pressing A+B simultaneously will allow Kyo to extend combos similarly to KOF XIV and gives him access to two unique Desperation Moves.

Mu Shiki

Activated QCFx2 + A input. This attack starts with Kyo launching a large pillar of fire before finishing off with a flurry of attacks ending in Oni Yaki special. This super is relatively easy to land, and as such is extremely ineffective for knocking out opponents and best for building up damage.

Kamichiri

Activated via QCFx2 + B input. This is a low range command grab, meaning it can only grab one opponent and unlike Mu Shiki, does significantly less damage and cannot hit multiple opponents easily. To make up for this, Kamichiri deals a great amount of knock-back, meaning a KO can be scored nearly every time at high percents should the attack land. Unlike other versions in KOF, this variation of the move can catch airborne opponents, and as such can catch an opponent after an Up Tilt.

End notes and rambling:

In this move set specifically, Kyo is a fast faller; so similarly to Captain Falcon, this man is going to be combo food for days once you get a good hit in on him. The idea behind this interpretation of Kyo is that his move set across the board almost entirely has low knock-back- making him a character that can effectively build up damage easily, with combos that can connect easily due to his low knock-back. As a drawback, he cannot KO easily barring a few examples such as a semi charged F-Smash and Down B and in some cases, Up Throw and Back Throw at the ledge (though the latter options are about as reliable as Ganondorf's Back Throw at the ledge- not all that reliable).

As it stands, I'm mostly okay with the move set I've conjured up in general, barring a few things. I'm not really sure if I want Jab to be solidified at all- in fact I was considering changing his final Jab to his standard Heavy Kick; or perhaps, I could switch out Light Kick as a FTilt and change it to a HK instead.

You may have noticed that Kyo changed costumes a whole bunch of times in the gifs. I wanted to stick with his white NESTS Saga outfit (since it's my personal favourite), but there's a bunch of moves I included where he never performs those moves at any point from KOF 99 - 2002. Though doesn't really matter what he wears, so long as what he has works I suppose.

And what's done is done. Any thoughts or constructive criticisms on the move set are welcome, especially since I made this in about 2 hours, including the part where I had to gather up the gifs.
Reading your moveset makes me feel very nostalgic about my childhood days trying to understand combos.

I love it!

The Max Mode and the other extra commands are very nice way to be similar but at the same time unique enough compared with the original shoto-character.

I made this if ya'll want to vote:

https://goo.gl/forms/mSTNG5SEEPKVRkk13

It's a poll regarding who you wanna see in the new game.
I try voting for Micaiah (Fire Emblem)... I'll make it possible.

Last edited:

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet

Sakurai knows we want King K Rool, and I really want Ridley as a destructive powerhouse, even if he would be too slow.

?????????????

Smash Master
Being realistic, I think we have a fair chance of getting Wolf back, K.Rool and Ridley have very slim chances sadly, for one reason or another.
Yeah, I agree. I really HOPE Wolf comes back, and between Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2, I think he's got a really good shot.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
:4jigglypuff: is one of the original 12 but has been nearly cut twice maybe even 3 times, she has been nothing but a joke character with no real improvement, if she was cut I don't think people would be too mad
:4charizard: Probably safe, everyone loves Charizard,,, just make him a little less slow
:4mewtwo:I doubt that he will be cut again due to his popularity, history, and cool factor
:4lucario: A personal favorite of mine that I was worried wasn't making it to Smash 4 but I think that he is safe due to being part of the Brawl family (Ike, ZSS, Pit, Wario, etc.), Is very popular, isnt a clone, and would be weird for him to be randomly cut now
:4greninja: He is extremely popular everywhere, is very unique( however needs to learn how to dodge nerf bullets) and would surprise me if he was cut
I actually can't really see any of our current Pokemon being cut.

Dedicated Smash fans would probably be fairly upset if Jigglypuff is gone (I know I'd miss her) but the majority probably wouldn't complain much. I don't think there's anything indicating she was almost cut every time, though. She's just always been low priority, so that if less time was available to finish her, and more cuts were necessary, she could've been one of them. She might be low priority again, but it's unlikely things will get to the point where she's cut.

If Lucario and Charizard didn't go anywhere after Brawl, I don't see why Greninja would.

And it would be extremely foolish to not bring Mewtwo back again, honestly.

I really do think all of the current Pokemon on the roster are safe enough, personally.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Don't think any of them are leaving, at the same time don't think any are getting added. The ones already in are the perfect and necessary ones. If I had to say just one to be cut, I think the award goes to Greninja.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I'm surprised Hades only got a trophy in Smash 4. Him not showing up in Palutena's Guidance was pretty baffling.
I know. Hades is so funny and he honestly deserved to be in Paultena's guidance. It is baffiling that Hades did not make it in Palutena's Guidance indeed.
I don't think any...I think the ones we have are really solid.

Personally, I wouldn't shed any tears if Jigglypuff left, but I can't see that happening.
I would shed tears if any Pokemon left... I want all Pokemon to stay. I do want a new Pokemon to join the roster, with my top picks being Incineroar or Decuideye.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I agree. I really HOPE Wolf comes back, and between Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2, I think he's got a really good shot.
If Wolf does come back though I have a simple request...
Have either the Star Fox Assault VA come back to voice him or have Matthew Gafford who made and voiced Wolf in " A Fox In Space" from a couple years ago voices him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJentYtZXkk

T-Hell

Smash Lord
They will almost DEFINITELY add a new one.
Which one though? If they choose from the Alola region (Sun and Moon) it seems the most popular choices are Decidueye and Mimikyu, aside from that the only one I can think about is Meowth for his role in the tv series. Not sure Alola is popular enough to add someone from there though.. granted Sakurai decided to add Greninja before we even knew he existed, but I don't know..

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wish they made Star Fox Assault 2. It was the most fun I had playing a Star Fox game, even if it didn't follow traditional Star Fox conventions.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You bring up good points. It’s really hard to see any of the Pokémon being cut. As unlikely as it is, maybe none of them will.

But...

Jigglypuff has her fan base in the Smash Community, and she’s been in 4 titles thus far. If she got cut, it’s like you said with Lucario, it would be weird for her to suddenly be cut. I think we’ll see Jigglypuff again. Almost positive we will.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think K.Rool is likelier than people give him credit for, if only for his street in Odyssey.

I do think Dixie would get in over him though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think K.Rool is likelier than people give him credit for, if only for his street in Odyssey.

I do think Dixie would get in over him though.
This is such a "Why not both?" situation for me. Dixie has been prominent in recent DK and K. Rool is an extremely popular character, especially from what we can see.

?????????????

Smash Master
Which one though? If they choose from the Alola region (Sun and Moon) it seems the most popular choices are Decidueye and Mimikyu, aside from that the only one I can think about is Meowth for his role in the tv series. Not sure Alola is popular enough to add someone from there though.. granted Sakurai decided to add Greninja before we even knew he existed, but I don't know..
I like the idea of Decidueye, not just because I like Decidueye a lot, but also...

It'd be nice to have a Grass Starter to go with Charizard and Greninja.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think that I've decided I want Mimikyu in as the next Pokemon rep. It could have a really cool moveset, and Disguise would be an interesting mechanic - a free 10% per stock?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Reading your moveset makes me feel very nostalgic about my childhood days trying to understand combos.

I love it!
Kind of wish I got more of a response, but I'm still happy you got back to me about it.

Glad you liked it! :b:

Just slap Charizard onto Pokemon Trainer again so we can get a 3-in-1 deal again :p

I'd prefer if none got cut honestly, for reasons you've already explained.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This is such a "Why not both?" situation for me. Dixie has been prominent in recent DK and K. Rool is an extremely popular character, especially from what we can see.
They could do both, like how both DDD and Meta Knight were added in brawl, but I don't see that happening unless we get a new DKC game announced at E3 or something

T-Hell

Smash Lord
You bring up good points. It’s really hard to see any of the Pokémon being cut. As unlikely as it is, maybe none of them will.

But...

Jigglypuff has her fan base in the Smash Community, and she’s been in 4 titles thus far. If she got cut, it’s like you said with Lucario, it would be weird for her to suddenly be cut. I think we’ll see Jigglypuff again. Almost positive we will.
I am one of those who think the 12 originals are definately 100% safe. But even if they aren't, I just hope they don't cut Jiggs just after she got visually updated.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think that I've decided I want Mimikyu in as the next Pokemon rep. It could have a really cool moveset, and Disguise would be an interesting mechanic - a free 10% per stock?
We had a discussion about that a while back. I don't necessarily think it needs to be worked into its Smash iteration if it gets in. Maybe make Disguise a counter move with a fancy animation or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom