• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh trust me, I know that. Keep in mind I've been playing since 1999 lol. But I'm saying for the new game I *personally* wish that would be less of an emphasis. My unpopular opinion is that there can be too many characters. I'd be happy if they added 5-7 really cool, well thought out characters, instead of 15 characters.

I realize I'm in the minority. And I get hyped about new characters.But I think a lot of characters weren't treated well in Smash 4, and fell to the wayside because everyone only cares about the cool new shiny characters.
I think there are too many characters yet to be included and too many newer characters out now to only have about 5-7. It would need to be at least 10. That way you rep new franchises lile Splatoon and ARMS on top of having some of the newer characters from recent games in Fire Emblem, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, etc.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm just wondering if there's gonna be a higher focus on requested characters like King K. Rool. Cuz otherwise I don't see him happening after his ten year absence. And he wasn't even the winner of the ballot.
Do we know the ballot results now? I havent paid attention to this stuff since we got the final DLC characters but it's pretty obvious Bayo was the most "realizable" of the top choices and not the true winner. In fact I'd guess that one of the reasons we didn't get inklings was cause sakurai decided to save that for this time around as they would be a more time consuming character to make; all of the final DLC characters were human shaped with movesets that weren't too different from what we've seen from other character (from a game programmer point of view i mean, they wouldn't require making some ink based moveset that might be very different from anything we've seen).

So my assumption is the ballot will be the main focus of who is chosen this time, and many of the characters that didn't make the cut were held back purposefully to do them justice in this game rather than give us a half-hearted attempt at a moveset and playstyle rushed for smash 4 DLC. Think about how Ganondorf is still how he is, Sakurai doesn't like tweaking a character too much once they are established to play a certain way (and im not talking competitive level stuff I mean the basic way they play). If say we gotten Inkling as DLC I imagine they might have been given a basic moveset like some standard shooting character and many people would be disappointed with them playing "boring" instead of something interesting with inking up the arena and swimming through it, that would have to be saved for this game and if they were already in smash4 it would just be a drastic change from their old play style and Sakurai wouldn't want that.

Essentially I feel that many characters who were high on ballot were not "realizable" because of the time and care sakurai would want to give them to make them unique, and so I expect many of those high ballot characters to show up this time with the proper amount of focus to doing them justice as a smash character.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. Quantum....
*Googles*
"a discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents."
You mean... like a smash attack?
"Quantum" doesn't roll of the toungue the same way "Storm" does. Do you not like Storm? I admit, the idea of the definition of quantum is cool, but...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Super Smash Bros. Altercation (It just sounds so serious. It makes me laugh. As if something real serious is about go down between Mario and Link because of Odyssey losing to Breath of the Wild at the VGA.)

Also Super Smash Bros. Rumpus..

Because you know rump is in the title and I have the maturity of a 7 year old.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly I'm not sure the subtitles or puns are really necessary.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
"Quantum" doesn't roll of the toungue the same way "Storm" does. Do you not like Storm? I admit, the idea of the definition of quantum is cool, but...
Storm is the best so far, just throwing out ideas.
Tempest sounds cool but I don't know how it fits with Smash.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Just something I thought I'd point out.

Tropical Freeze started development too late for Sakurai to consider adding content from that game in the last Smash.

What games do you think will have this same issue?

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Essentially I feel that many characters who were high on ballot were not "realizable" because of the time and care sakurai would want to give them to make them unique, and so I expect many of those high ballot characters to show up this time with the proper amount of focus to doing them justice as a smash character.
I thought, on the contrary, Sakurai and the team had a very hard time coming up with Bayonetta's moveset and therefore her developement took a rather long time. They didn't rush her at all. There are therefore no reason to think it wouldn't have been the same for any other ballot contender.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Detective Pikachu would be a great costume. I also want a new Final Smash for the Ice Climbers. Summit is Brawl was ok, the only cool part was when Nana and Popo put their hands together to raise the Ice.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Super Smash Bros. Mild Disagreement over who is going to take the Saturday shift...I mean it's the weekend and I really don't want to come in on a weekend, John! Don't you like working overtime?

:kirby:

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Storm is the best so far just throwing out ideas.
Tempest sounds cool but I don't know how it fits with Smash.
I am going to contact Masahiro flippin Sakurai so I can tell him what he needs to name the next Smash Bros. game. Anyone know where he lives?

Edit: Tempest = storm

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Just something I thought I'd point out.

Tropical Freeze started development too late for Sakurai to consider adding content from that game in the last Smash.

What games do you think will have this same issue?
I think Early 2017 should be safe depending on when they started development. I'm hoping Rex & Pyra should be fine, because Xenoblade 2 started development before 2016.

I don't know about Super Mario Odyssey or Arms, but it's totally possible to add content late in development, like the Mario Circuit stage from Mario Kart 8. Even Sonic was added late to Brawl.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Pokemon or Fire Emblem Switch character. We don't even have footage of those games since 2017, so who knows when they started development.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get a Fire Emblem character this time around.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To the third party conversation... I want a bunch.

I dont want any to leave (I wasn't fond of Bayonetta, but now she is here and hopefully Nintendo's newest baby when it comes to regular games).

Crash Bandicoot.
Spyro.
Scorpion.
Lara Croft.
Banjo Kazooie.
Bomberman.
Simon Belmont.
Frogger.
Rayman.
Steve.
Angry Birds.

And then others.
Professor Layton.
Cooking Mama.
Max (Scribblenauts).
Carmen Sandiego.
Shovel Knight.
Qbert.

...and thats not all.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean, a lot of games that consider themselves soft reboots take the name with no subtitles

Most notably, Sonic The Hedgehog in 2006.
This is sort of what I was thinking. With the notion floating around that this could be a soft reboot, I don't see why this couldn't happen. Also, this may be a more "definitive" version of Smash Bros based on what we know. I don't think a subtitle-less name is out of the question.

Given that this game is currently in development now I would suggest everyone be paying close attention to any game that came out within the last 1-2 years and any Switch/3DS games in development now to see what games are pushed and what characters are popular and stand out. That way you could kind of see what is possible for inclusion in the game whether it be characters, stages, music, ATs, etc.

A small list of examples of games that you should be looking into are:
-Pokemon Sun & Moon (Ultra Sun & Moon)
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Fire Emblem Echoes
-Mario Odyssey
-Splatoon 2
-ARMS
-Metroid Prime 4
-Pokemon Switch/Gen 8
-Fire Emblem Switch/Fire Emblem 16
-Super Bomberman R
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Shovel Knight
-Kirby Star Allies
-Yoshi
-Bloodstained
-Shantae Half Genie Hero
-No More Heroes Travis Strikes Again
-Metroid Samus Returns

Etc.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
To the third party conversation... I want a bunch.

I dont want any to leave (I wasn't fond of Bayonetta, but now she is here and hopefully Nintendo's newest baby when it comes to regular games).

Crash Bandicoot.
Spyro.
Scorpion.
Lara Croft.
Banjo Kazooie.
Bomberman.
Simon Belmont.
Frogger.
Rayman.
Steve.
Angry Birds.

And then others.
Professor Layton.
Cooking Mama.
Max (Scribblenauts).
Carmen Sandiego.
Shovel Knight.
Qbert.

...and thats not all.
I played Spyro when I was very young. He would make a legit addition to smash, alongside Crash bandicoot, which I also played when I was young.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, a lot of games that consider themselves soft reboots take the name with no subtitles

Most notably, Sonic The Hedgehog in 2006.
That wasn't even a soft reboot. It's the final entry among the Dreamcast saga.

The intention of the game was to be a celebration of an anniversary, which is why it has no special name. It's meant to be huge. It was instead a huge flop, heh.

As for names, hard to say; I like Kerfuffle.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I liked the mention of Slugest as the Smash Bros subtitle.

I played Spyro when I was very young. He would make a legit addition to smash, alongside Crash bandicoot, which I also played when I was young.
I think my whole list would be legitimate.

...though I don't think we will get 25 total 3rd party characters, obviously.

I'd be most excited... maybe... for Lara Croft and Angry Birds.
Not for me, personally, but because I think they are some of the bigger names not in.

Of course that is sidestepping Bomberman and Rayman.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Given that this game is currently in development now I would suggest everyone be paying close attention to any game that came out within the last 1-2 years and any Switch/3DS games in development now to see what games are pushed and what characters are popular and stand out. That way you could kind of see what is possible for inclusion in the game whether it be characters, stages, music, ATs, etc.

A small list of examples of games that you should be looking into are:
-Pokemon Sun & Moon (Ultra Sun & Moon)
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Fire Emblem Echoes
-Mario Odyssey
-Splatoon 2
-ARMS
-Metroid Prime 4
-Pokemon Switch/Gen 8
-Fire Emblem Switch/Fire Emblem 16
-Super Bomberman R
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Shovel Knight
-Kirby Star Allies
-Yoshi
-Bloodstained
-Shantae Half Genie Hero
-No More Heroes Travis Strikes Again
-Metroid Samus Returns

Etc.
Really? You think Metroid Prime 4 and Fire Emblem 16 are gonna get in? We haven't even SEEN those games yet.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I thought, on the contrary, Sakurai and the team had a very hard time coming up with Bayonetta's moveset and therefore her developement took a rather long time. They didn't rush her at all. There are therefore no reason to think it wouldn't have been the same for any other ballot contender.
Oh I'm sure they did but I still say it was easier to make her than creating a completely new body type for K Rool or a moveset involving Inking up the arenas for Inkling.

I'm not trying to suggest they simply picked the easiest characters to make I'm saying they choose who they thought they could do justice to given the inner game mechanics of Smash 4, characters with drastically different bodies which might interact with the arenas and items differently (clipping and such) or movesets that involve nearly changing core mechanics of the game (inking up a stage) would at the very least seem more daunting to create without building the game with them in mind.

Sure Bayo was tough to make her play style "feel" like her games and also work in smash, I'm sure that was an uphill challenge. But on paper I think she seemed more creatable for that game than some other top ballot choice who i assume were held off for this game.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Super Smash Bros: XXL EDITION

or Super Smash Bros: Electric Boogaloo

Luminario

Smash Lord
That is nothing like Urbosa's fury, which is not a ranged attack, is not a tiny exertion, is not a fast release... that's literally nothing of Urbosa's fury.
Neither is Smash's version of Din's Fire. I'm working with what I've got here.
The point is Din's Fire in OoT and Urbosa's Fury in BotW are both large dome shockwave attacks that hurt all enemies in a large radius, so if Din's Fire get's turned into what it is in Smash then Urbosa's Fury can potentially do the same.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The point is Din's Fire in OoT and Urbosa's Fury in BotW are both large dome shockwave attacks that hurt all enemies in a large radius, so if Din's Fire get's turned into what it is in Smash then Urbosa's Fury can potentially do the same.
I think it was more acceptable to do that in Melee (and with an attack the player never actually uses), instead of in Smash Five, given where we have come.

Really? You think Metroid Prime 4 is gonna get in? We haven't even SEEN that game yet.
I would assume since they are all under the Nintendo roof that Sakurai is going to these other teams to look into the games for characters to choose from. It happened with Roy in Melee. It happened with Lucario in Brawl. It happened with Greninja in Sm4sh.

When it comes to Metroid Prime 4 any character that is relevant in the story possibly has a shot for the game. The rumor going around I have been hearing is Sylux likely plays a part in it and if he does and he stands out a lot he has a shot for Smash. If not? Another character could have a shot or no new ones at all. Same thing applies to the new Fire Emblem and who the major characters are in it.

Sakurai would look at stuff like Kirby Star Allies, Fire Emblem 16, Metroid Prime 4, the next Pokemon game, and ARMS.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Dude. You just made me realize. They might give Zelda the power of the Champion's spirits! At this rate, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf could all become as good as newcomers.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think Super Smash Bros. V would work fine. It'd look good for marketing, having a big V behind the logo.

Super Smash Bros. Vendetta.

D

Deleted member

As far as 3rd parties go, if I had to pick just 10...
:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta: + :5crash: :5shovelknight: :5phoenixwright:
Sorry Ramen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I could see semi-clone happening. Octolings are a very popular part of Splatoon, especially with the Octo Expansion coming summer, I can see them using the same weapon types as Inklings but mixed up slighty, like instead of the Splat Charger they get a E-Litre, or instead of the Inbrush it's an Octobrush. Basically they could be more power/range, less speed.
That’s basically exact I had in mind. You can’t change the core gameplay which is the ink, but you can change the weapons they use. Even if it was something as small as the Inklings get the standard single-gun Splattersot while the Octolings get the dual guns, that would be so cool. You can’t represent all the weapon types in one moveset, but splitting it between the Inklings and the Octolings would allow you to rep them all while still sharing non weapon-specific moves, which still makes them unique but a whole lot less work than a full-on unique character.

More of a Wolf than a Lucas, or maybe comparable to Roy’s SM4SH incarnation compared to Marth.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Unpopular opinion: Link will be unchanged moveset wise, and will only be visually updated.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Unpopular opinion: Link will be unchanged moveset wise, and will only be visually updated.
If Sakurai wants to tick people off, that's one way to do it. I haven't played BotW myself, but I've seen gameplay of it- and you'd think he'd have an entirely different move set than the link we've had more or less for the past 4 Smash games.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Super Smash Bros. Tournament Edition

Super Smash Bros. EX

Super Smash Bros. Shin

Super Smash Bros. Universe

Super Smash Bros. KO
(what I think the real title will be)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Sakurai confirmed to have an inflation fetish.

As far as 3rd parties go, if I had to pick just 10...
:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta: + :5crash: :5shovelknight: :5phoenixwright:
Sorry Ramen.
Replace Shovel Knight with Simon Belmont and that's my 3rd party list tbh.

...I would say replace Phoenix with Kyo, but Simon Belmont is 100x more realistic of a choice than he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom