• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
What if transformations are back? were they cut because of an issue with the 3DS I cant recall?

I know squirtle and ivysaur were requested to come back, not as much as wolf and ice climbers but I know the cut veterans were very high on the smash ballot (which I assume is where a lot of the roster choices will come from this time) so perhaps we'll see pokemon trainer again?

If that's the case ZS Samus and Sheik could Maybe go back to being transformations? I'm not sure how I feel about this, as i like them separate and i like charizard alone but it could potentially happen. I'm considering what could be the big changes that would be a reason to make this not a port and this could be one of them.

If transformations do come back then I'd love for "Champions" to be a character as you wouldn't have to pick just one and we'd get the 4 unrepresented races of Hyrule in as playable. My biggest issue with the champions is picking one over the others but this would work well.
I was thinking that if transformations were back, they should bring back Pokemon Trainer but make his roster be Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur instead. Make charizard a little faster, venusaur the heavy tank, and blastoise the all rounder, and it could work out.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Can't really think of any obvious third parties on the level of Sonic, PAC-MAN, and Cloud. Most of the viable options like Rayman/Rabbid Mario, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo & Kazooie,and even Bomberman seem to be on the level of Bayonetta.

Not that it's a bad thing; I'd enjoy it if any of those were included.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm surprised that, when talking about third parties, Ubisoft is not mentioned that much. There was a cross-over between the Mario and Rabbid series, Rayman had a trophy in smash, and the the two companies seem to have OK-relations.
Is there any specific reason? Or was it already discussed?

I thought of a better name than "Smash for Switch". We can either call it SmVsh, or Sma5h. Anybody?
The official name is "Super Smash Bros. (working title)". I refuse to call it differently than that.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Nintendo has announced a new Special Edition which includes a soundtrack, an artbook and...

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If Ice climbers comes back I hope we get another new double characters similar to their playstyle

Maybe they should bring back Pichu but this time upgrade it to Pichu bros

Is there any other double characters you want to see in smash?

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
If Ice climbers comes back I hope we get another new double characters similar to their playstyle

Maybe they should bring back Pichu but this time upgrade it to Pichu bros

Is any other double characters you want to see in smash?
There was Plusle and Minun... maybe.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Oof, I really didn't mean to to start an argument on here. Both SmVsh and Sma5h are less to type, but just like we say Melee for Smash Bros Melee, Brawl for Smash Bros Brawl, and Sm4sh for Smash for Wii U/3DS, we need a nickname for Smash for Switch.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Oof, I really didn't want to start an argument on here. Both SmVsh and Sma5h are less to type, but just like we say Melee for Smash Bros Melee, Brawl for Smash Bros Brawl, and Sm4sh for Smash for Wii U/3DS, we need a nickname for Smash for Switch.
Until we get a title for it, I suggest Sma5h

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I kind of want King Dedede's Side-B to be buffed so that it gets transcendant priority. He would be so much better if they did that.

Edit: 5ma5h. Perfection.

Double Edit: How many Inklings mains are there going to be? I'm thinking about as many as there are Link mains.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Can't really think of any obvious third parties on the level of Sonic, PAC-MAN, and Cloud. Most of the viable options like Rayman/Rabbid Mario, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo & Kazooie,and even Bomberman seem to be on the level of Bayonetta.

Crash is definitely above the level of Bayonetta.

Just looks at his sales numbers on the PS1 alone.

Don't remind me. :dizzy:
I love that commercial. I wish it could get reenacted in today's age.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Crash is one of the few western series to do well in Japan. I would say don't sleep on the Bandicoot.
True, but I don't see it happening. If any third party gets in, it'll probably be as a result of being totally necessary.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Sma5h is better.
I hope they give the new smash game an original name like "Melee" or "Brawl". Maybe something like Super Smash Bros. Storm or something (ik my example was lame but you get the idea)

Edit: Actually... The more I think of the name Smash Bros. Storm, the more I like it. It would make for some cool cover art, too.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I wish they'd stop focusing on big name 3rd party characters. Actually I wish they'd stop putting so much focus on adding new characters and give some existing characters some love!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/406/crash-bandicoot/?region=All
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/407/crash-bandicoot-2/?region=All
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/408/crash-bandicoot-3-warped/?region=All

It's unbelievable how well Crash did in Japan. Two of his games broke the million mark in Japan alone. It's insane!
True, but I don't see it happening. If any third party gets in, it'll probably be as a result of being totally necessary.
Who's "totally necessary" to have in the game?

Just curious because that sounds very vague.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I can see Bomberman and Simon Belmont. Or maybe Amaterasu. I wouldn't mind seeing some additions to current third parties. Like Shadow or Terra Branford.

But, yeah. Bomberman and/or Simon Belmont seem most probable to me.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That's one flaw with Sakurai possibly using the BotW Zelda. She doesn't have any moves from that game that could replace her terrible Phantom Armor attack.
Urbosa's spirit can replace her Phantom Armor visually. Stat adjustments and lag-time reduction can help.

Although, what would improve Phantom Armor is giving Zelda more stage control.

Pre-Sm4sh I advocated for Zelda to draw a rune while she performed her keep-away Down Smash. This would act like Snake's old Down Smash. The rune would disappear and explode if anyone walked over it. The power of the explosion depends on the charge time of the smash. Phantom Armor should be able to glide over the rune without triggering it.

D

Deleted member

Just like I called the Wii U and 3DS titles Smash 4, I'll stick to calling this one Smash 5. No need for all the weird looking nicknames with numbers replacing letters.

As for 3rd parties, I think Rayman and Crash are the frontrunners. But honestly, I don't really want more 3rd parties. I was fine with Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. Adding all of these non-Nintendo characters doesn't really sit right with me, especially when they're not icons among icons.

D

Deleted member

No character is "totally neccesary". It's an entirely subjective term and I cannot believe people seriously use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, let's come up with some ideas name of the new game (assuming of course that it is not a simple port). Smash 4 was cool for the wii U because it was Super Smash Bros FOR the wii U/3Ds. But smash for the switch will be one console. I really, really want an original name. I mean, how lame is 5ma5h?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I can see Bomberman and Simon Belmont. Or maybe Amaterasu. I wouldn't mind seeing some additions to current third parties. Like Shadow or Terra Branford.

But, yeah. Bomberman and/or Simon Belmont seem most probable to me.
That actually brings an interesting question to mind.

Would yall rather see 10 third part franchises represented, each with one character, or five third party franchises represented by two characters?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm surprised that, when talking about third parties, Ubisoft is not mentioned that much. There was a cross-over between the Mario and Rabbid series, Rayman had a trophy in smash, and the the two companies seem to have OK-relations.
Is there any specific reason? Or was it already discussed?

The official name is "Super Smash Bros. (working title)". I refuse to call it differently than that.
I think Rayman/Rabbids have the best chance of any third party at this point, Nintendo was VERY buddy buddy with Ubisoft last E3 and Rayman having a trophy was such an odd thing. Not a huge fan of the rabbids personally but I'm cool with Rayman, if they were an assist trophy and he was playable that'd be my ideal scenario for a Ubisoft rep.

The biggest thing against Rayman, Crash, and Banjo-Kazooie is that they are western characters but hopefully that won't be an issue as I think they are the next most deserving newcomers, besides Bomberman but with Snake cut... I dunno its tough to say if nintendo is cool with letting Konami have a rep now with the whole Kojima vs. Konami controversy and the fact Sakurai is friends with Kojima and thats why Snake and third parties even happened in the first place.. its just tough to call if Sakurai will want to work with Konami, get Bomberman, and still say no to Snake out of respect for his friend Kojima. I imagine it'd be awkward to ask Konami to use Bomberman and them say "well you can have Snake back!" and Sakurai possibly feel obligated to decline. The man is a master of negotiations between gaming companies clearly he's worked wonders but this is a sticky situation.

Basically imo our most likely 3rd party newcomers are western owned characters and I don't know how good sakurai is at making deals with western companies (since it hasn't happened yet) or if he has the connections the way I feel he does with japanese developers to do so. I'm not saying he can't or nintendo won't but I think sakurai knowing "so and so" on the board of directors at "such and such" a company has gotten us most of these 3rd party characters and that probably isn't the case with western companies so opening the conversation will most likely go through nintendos lawyers and stuff first which is a whole other ball game to get the rights to these characters. And then the one japanese company that should have a rep at this time is the one company that didn't get their character back in Smash 4, Konami returning Snake, BUT that has a lot to do with personal controversy thats widely known so whether or not sakurai even tries for Bomberman is anyones guess.

D

Deleted member

That actually brings an interesting question to mind.

Would yall rather see 10 third part franchises represented, each with one character, or five third party franchises represented by two characters?
Probably 10 franchises.
Eggman is the only secondary character from a 3rd party franchise that I really "want".

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Should Crash get it, I'd love for his victory theme to be the entirety of this...
Against Mario, at least.

Last edited:
I wish they'd stop focusing on big name 3rd party characters. Actually I wish they'd stop putting so much focus on adding new characters and give some existing characters some love!
One of the major things people look forward to every new Smash is the NEW characters they add. All of the new content added in. That is what people look forward to. It is what creates hype through speculation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You have any proof of that? Don't remember that being an issue with Palutena's inclusion.

Besides, Palutena's Army was a ****ty Final Smash - it was gonna have to be changed anyway.
Proof? What of?

Here's Pit's Brawl Final Smash with Palutena on full display.

Here's his Smash 4 one with no Palutena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom