• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
That actually brings an interesting question to mind.

Would yall rather see 10 third part franchises represented, each with one character, or five third party franchises represented by two characters?
10, I feel the same way with nintendo characters I'd rather have more series represented > more characters from existing games...though at this point I'm aware most of the nintendo series that deserve to be represented are already there, so more characters from them is generally the way to go now. I just meant it as a general principle I'd rather see as many game series represented as possible.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I JUST THOUGHT of what would make smash for switch visually the most glorious in the series!!! Weather! Now I have to expand on this idea...

First of all, it should be able to be turned off. This of course would probably be used in competitive play. Think about it. How cool would it look if Mario and Captain Falcon were dueling it out in the rain? I am not talking about the seasons from yoshi's story. I am talking about full on. If Sheik and Marth fought to the death in a blizzard? This would make smash look SO cool, I would faint.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
One of the major things people look forward to every new Smash is the NEW characters they add. All of the new content added in. That is what people look forward to. It is what creates hype through speculation.
Oh trust me, I know that. Keep in mind I've been playing since 1999 lol. But I'm saying for the new game I *personally* wish that would be less of an emphasis. My unpopular opinion is that there can be too many characters. I'd be happy if they added 5-7 really cool, well thought out characters, instead of 15 characters.

I realize I'm in the minority. And I get hyped about new characters.But I think a lot of characters weren't treated well in Smash 4, and fell to the wayside because everyone only cares about the cool new shiny characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we go back to subtitles and DON'T get Super Smash Bros. Brouhaha, Donnybrook, or Kerfuffle, there is a serious issue.

Morbi

Scavenger
No character is "totally neccesary". It's an entirely subjective term and I cannot believe people seriously use it.
Mario and Link are totally necessary. That is objective fact, buddeh.

Oh trust me, I know that. Keep in mind I've been playing since 1999 lol. But I'm saying for the new game I *personally* wish that would be less of an emphasis. My unpopular opinion is that there can be too many characters. I'd be happy if they added 5-7 really cool, well thought out characters, instead of 15 characters.

I realize I'm in the minority. And I get hyped about new characters.But I think a lot of characters weren't treated well in Smash 4, and fell to the wayside because everyone only cares about the cool new shiny characters.
I agree with you. I honestly prefer veteran reworks and design overhauls of the existing characters. Maybe another "Smash 64 to Melee" or "Brawl to Melee" where we got side specials and final smashes. A new type of attack for everyone. Oh, and a fourth taunt.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
@Troykv Opossum Opossum It's done! The Kyo move set has finally been completed.

As a character, Kyo shares a few mechanics with Ryu as it is essential that I do so in order to cover as much of Kyo’s ever-changing move set as possible. Despite this, he does have a unique mechanic that is exclusive to him carried over from KOF XIV, MAX Mode. You can find and explanation of said mechanic and what it entails and what Kyo is able to with it in the ‘Unique moves’ section of the move set.

Key:

LP - Light Kick
HP - Heavy Punch
LK - Light Kick
HK - Heavy Kick

And yes, I know the attacks are supposed to be labelled 'A', 'C', 'B' and 'D' respectively, but for simplicity's sake, I'm going with the SF style notation.

With that out of the way, let us begin...

As the year flew by from the excitement of the previous tournament's end, we are now declaring the opening of the new 'Super Smash Brothers' 2018 tournament. Following the time old custom, the event will be conducted as the previous one; and this year we will be introducing all-new victims-er, fighters, from all corners of the world and beyond, in a variety competitions from 1v1 to teams of three fighters and more.

That's all, break a spine...(S)

Kyo Kusanagi burns the competition!

Jab: A three hit combo attack. The first strike starts off with his standard close standing Light Kick (LK) attack, followed up with Light Punch (LP) and Heavy Punch (HP).

In case you’re curious as to why Light Kick was picked as the first attack, the idea is to allow Kyo to mitigate a weakness that many tall characters have against small characters (especially when they crouch); in that many tall character’s jabs (i.e Falcon) cannot hit crouching opponents, even when crouching next to the attacker. Kyo’s low kick will allow the player to hit a small opponent when they’re crouching and complete the jab combo.

Dash Attack: Kyo’s Nana Se attack. Thrusts out a leg towards the opponent and is unsafe on shield like many other Dash Attacks.

I cannot find a gif of this attack, but you can see it at the end of this combo in this video: https://youtu.be/x_D4Uwfa8l8?t=20s

Up Tilt:
Kyo leaps up into the air and hits the opponent twice. The move is unsafe on shield, and can be cancelled into from the first hit of his Down Forward Tilt (DFTilt).

Forward Tilt: Kyo’s standard LK. Much like many other characters’ Forward Tilts, Kyo’s is best served as a long-range poke to keep the opponent from getting in too close.

Down Tilt: A single crouching LK that can combo into a crouching LP with a second button press.

Down Forward Tilt: A character unique move where Kyo hits the opponent with sweeping attacks twice; this is where unique aspects of Kyo begin to come into play. This move can be combo into from Kyo’s Down Tilt combo, with the added benefit of being able to cancel this attack into his Up Tilt or any Special attack, allowing for combos that deal lots of damage but lack much in the way of knock-back. Great for a low poke as it’s safe on shield at max range.

Up Smash: Kyo’s standard close HP. Much like Ryu’s Heavy Up Tilt, this attack is extremely useful for anti-airing. Said move is also faster to Ryu’s aforementioned move by comparison, but also lacks the knock-back by comparison.

Forward Smash: Kyo’s blowback attack, has a minimal super armour much like Little Mac’s Forward Smash, but to a significantly lesser degree.

Down Smash: A simple sweeping kick that will often knock the opponent down, but can cause the opponent to trip, allowing for a free combo.

Neutral Air: Kyo’s jumping LK. Has a small amount of range and functions similarly to Ryu’s Nair, being able to reset quite easily at low to mid precents.

Forward Air: Kyo’s forward jump HK. Hits in front of him, but also hits above him during the initial animation, though the top hit is weaker.

Back Air: Kyo’s neutral jump HK. In this instance, Kyo spins around behind him to attack beforehand, but does not reset the direction you face like Marth and Roy.

Up Air: A move that’s visually similar to his grounded Up Smash attack. A single strike that can combo into another attack if Kyo hits the opponent whilst he is landing.

(Imagine this, but done in the air)

Down Air: Kyo’s Down HP. This attack is a spike, sending the opponent straight down rapidly towards the ground, but only once hitting at the sweet spot of the move, which are his fists. Causes very little knock-back to grounded opponents to allow for follow up attacks and does not cause grounded opponents to bounce into the air.

Kyo’s Grab is in general, nothing to be scared of. Average start-up and recovery, and pummel damage make for a grab that many would consider ‘okay’ at best, which also account for his throws, as most only serve a singular purpose bar two at most.

Forward Throw: Hits the opponent with his elbow, sending the opponent flying away from him with great knock-back at lower percents.

Back Throw: Spins around and slams his opponents with a rapid roundhouse kick, possessing great damage in exchange for knock-back. Can potentially kill at the ledge, but is dependant on the opponent's percent and DI.

Up Throw: Kyo slams his fist into the opponent and sends them flying into the air. Can potentially kill at high percents, but isn’t reliable enough to speak highly of due to it being mostly dependant on the opponent's DI.

Down Throw: Kyo’s standard back Grab from most of- if not all KOF games. Slamming his body into the opponent and launching them at an angle similar to Captain Falcon/Ganondorf’s own Down Throws, Kyo’s is able to follow up with attacks much like theirs.

Ground Neutral B: Yami Barai

Simply a large fireball that travels along the ground, and can traverse slopes. This attack grants the player a large amount of stage control, allowing Kyo to attack from both in the air and on the ground through his fireball and other attacks. Has the same amount of projectile durability as the Hadouken to compensate and does not have a stronger variation, but can projectile speed through tapping B (normal speed) and pressing B (fast). Activating it through a QCF input creates a larger version of the fireball that travels at max speed.

The air variation is a spark that falls to the ground, unlike the Hadouken. If the spark hist an opponent, they'll fly back a little, but be inflicted with good damage. When the spark hits a wall or slope, the spark will transform into the fireball and travel along the surface it touched, moving away from the blast zone and towards centre stage.

Ground Side Special: Ara Kami/Doku Kami

A side special that can be activated in multiple ways; the first is by tapping the B button to get Ara Kami, an inital lunging fire attack that is safe on shield, with multiple combo paths. Doku Kami is activated by pressing the B button, an attack that lunges further (and hence more start-up), has one combo path and is unsafe on shield unless hit at max range.

Combo paths:

(Tap B) Ara Kami -> (Up + B) Kono Kizu -> (B) Migiri Ugachi OR (A) Nana Se/Dash Attack

OR

(Tap B) Ara Kami -> (Down +B) Yano Sabi -> (B) Migri Ugachi OR (A) Nana Se/ Dash Attack*

(Press B) Doku Kami -> (B) Tumi Yomi -> (B) Batu Yomi -> (B) Oni Yaki

*This path is not a true combo due to the Yano Sabi’s start-up, and as such, Yano Sabi is good for destroying shields and should also be used as a mix up tool. Hitting airborne opponents with Yano Sabi or the Migri Ugahci used specifically in this combo path will spike the opponent.

Air Side Special: Oboro Guruma

An attack leaping into the air with strong kicks, tapping B releasing one kick, with pressing B brining out three kicks that end with the third kick that can spike at the foot, meteor anywhere else along the leg. The final kick as a small hitbox above Kyo and is overall great for horizontal recovery since it can be B-Reversed.

An example video, since I couldn't find a gif. The attack in question can be seen when Kyo flashes blue: https://youtu.be/ZzB0KoyZDUk?t=1m35s

Up Special: Oni Yaki

Kyo’s traditional Up B that has invincibility much like Shoryuken when activated through the same input. Tapping B makes it hit once, pressing B makes it hit twice, with the input making it hit once with strength somewhat comparable to the Shoryuken- but does not have the SAME strength, but does retain the same invincibility, so it's best used as a 'get off me' move. The attack is also somewhat disjointed due to the fire.

Ground Down Special: Kotu Tsuki You

Similar to Ganondorf’s Flame Wave custom move, Kyo will rush towards the opponent for a set distance depending on the button press, striking them with his elbow before pulling them into the air, causing an explosion to send the opponent flying. This move on its own is the best move at KOing opponents due to its knock-back being larger than the rest of his move set, barring fully charged smash attacks, a particular MAX Mode move and Final Smashes. Unlike Ganondorf's Side Bs, this can be blocked by shields, and as such is extremely unsafe when blocked.

Air Down Special: R.E.D Kick

A kick that starts with a leap into the air in an arc that can change height and length via ‘B’ button presses. Unlike Oboro Guruma, this attack cannot spike and can only meteor at the foot, also safe on shield when the foot hits shield. This move can also be B-Reversed.

Final Smash: Orochinagi/Ama no Murakumo

Kyo’s staple super move since KOF ’94 where Kyo creates a large serpent-like pillar of fire around him, throwing it out towards his opponent, dealing a great deal of damage and knock-back. This move can be held in place like in KOF before throwing out the move- though it does not add any benefits for doing so.

Kyo's NeoMax Super from KOF XIII. When Kyo has his MAX Mode activated and has his final Smash available, Kyo throws out a small flame. If this small flame hits an opponent, the entire screen gets filled with flames, sending everyone affected flying, the opponent who got hit with the initial small flame taking the full brunt of the attack.

Example of it can be found in this video: https://youtu.be/rpuJX5HMDuM?t=32s

Max Mode activation

Activated via A+B input. Max Mode from KOF XIV returns as a unique mechanic for Kyo. During the match, Kyo has a bar against his name, similar to Little Mac that can be charged up to 3 times. Once a single bar has been filled, pressing A+B simultaneously will allow Kyo to extend combos similarly to KOF XIV and gives him access to two unique Desperation Moves.

Mu Shiki

Activated QCFx2 + A input. This attack starts with Kyo launching a large pillar of fire before finishing off with a flurry of attacks ending in Oni Yaki special. This super is relatively easy to land, and as such is extremely ineffective for knocking out opponents and best for building up damage.

Kamichiri

Activated via QCFx2 + B input. This is a low range command grab, meaning it can only grab one opponent and unlike Mu Shiki, does significantly less damage and cannot hit multiple opponents easily. To make up for this, Kamichiri deals a great amount of knock-back, meaning a KO can be scored nearly every time at high percents should the attack land. Unlike other versions in KOF, this variation of the move can catch airborne opponents, and as such can catch an opponent after an Up Tilt.

End notes and rambling:

In this move set specifically, Kyo is a fast faller; so similarly to Captain Falcon, this man is going to be combo food for days once you get a good hit in on him. The idea behind this interpretation of Kyo is that his move set across the board almost entirely has low knock-back- making him a character that can effectively build up damage easily, with combos that can connect easily due to his low knock-back. As a drawback, he cannot KO easily barring a few examples such as a semi charged F-Smash and Down B and in some cases, Up Throw and Back Throw at the ledge (though the latter options are about as reliable as Ganondorf's Back Throw at the ledge- not all that reliable).

As it stands, I'm mostly okay with the move set I've conjured up in general, barring a few things. I'm not really sure if I want Jab to be solidified at all- in fact I was considering changing his final Jab to his standard Heavy Kick; or perhaps, I could switch out Light Kick as a FTilt and change it to a HK instead.

You may have noticed that Kyo changed costumes a whole bunch of times in the gifs. I wanted to stick with his white NESTS Saga outfit (since it's my personal favourite), but there's a bunch of moves I included where he never performs those moves at any point from KOF 99 - 2002. Though doesn't really matter what he wears, so long as what he has works I suppose.

And what's done is done. Any thoughts or constructive criticisms on the move set are welcome, especially since I made this in about 2 hours, including the part where I had to gather up the gifs.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm just wondering if there's gonna be a higher focus on requested characters like King K. Rool. Cuz otherwise I don't see him happening after his ten year absence. And he wasn't even the winner of the ballot.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Smash Unrepentant

Penta is a suffix for five.

Unrepentant: showing no regret for one's wrongdoings.

Morbi

Scavenger
But BotW gives Zelda the Power of Sealing. There's a bunch of different ways that can be implemented into the game: a trap, a wall, a floating ball of death, etc.
The potential is there, I just doubt Sakurai will realistically tap into it.

Okay you got me there, but my point still stands.
Also I can't believe you forgot about Pikachu.
Only if it wears a detective or lucha costume. Otherwise, Pichu is the more recognizable figure. :troll:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I remember not so long ago thinking Elma was gonna be a shoo in for whenever this game was announced but this newer Xenoblade seems way more talked about. I’ve never played a xenoblade game, but I see Pyra everywhere. I don’t really like her design, but I’m interested in how her and Rex would play.
Xenoblade X has a few issues with its characters which I think hinder it's standing a bit. Elma would be interesting but I'm not, sure she stands out in a way that would either replace Shulk or the newness of someone from Xenoblade 2.

Xenoblade 2 combat is based heavily around the Drivers and Blades. The blade extend their power to their Driver and in general need to be within a certain distance of their blades or they because weaker. It could be the kind of thing like Pokemon Trainer where Pyra would be in the background and if within a certain distance Rex's attacks could be stronger or something to that regards. I'm not sure how good that would be in a game like smash but it's a concept idea that would relate to the game in some ways..

Make it happen! :shades::shades::shades:
I always amused when companies play along with current headlines for marketing purposes.

You might as well start adding everyone like Shrek, Spongebob, and all the stupid meme characters people ask for.

People don't understand the implications of Goku being in Smash and what it's going to lead to.
Frankly I could think of worse characters then Goku to use. At least Goku has been featured in Video Games in one form or another since the NES era lol. I know it's extremely unlikely but I wouldn't offended by the prospect persay lol

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Paper Mario could be a cool newcomer that I'm honestly surprised isn't in the game yet. He has his own game series and would most likely play completely different than Mario or Dr Mario.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, let's come up with some ideas name of the new game (assuming of course that it is not a simple port). Smash 4 was cool for the wii U because it was Super Smash Bros FOR the wii U/3Ds. But smash for the switch will be one console. I really, really want an original name. I mean, how lame is 5ma5h?
Super Smash Bros. Squabble...
Super Smash Bros. Bicker....
Super Smash Bros. Quarrel....

"Fight" Synonyms Page 2 >

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So to go back to is it a port or not. I agree that it doesnt matter. Except for the point below labeled 1.

I completely disagree.

1. If it is a port, then that means that there are no major changes to the engine (probably just a balance patch);
2. If it is a port, then the teaser trailer was for DLC;
3. If it is a port, then it will be another monetary stab in the back of Wii U owners.

All these points make the difference between '110% hype can't wait for E3' if they are NOT true and '0% hype back to my PS4' if they ARE true.
If it is a port, that does not mean that the Inklings were DLC- it could be added content in the base game, which is common in the Wii U ports to Switch.

And its not a monetary stab in the back for Wii U owners. I think thats a selfish way to look at it.
Then again, if you cannot get even 1 % excited about a port of Smash bros to Switch, and I do mean this more kindly then it sounds, but I honestly don't know what youre doing on Smash boards.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Xenoblade X has a few issues with its characters which I think hinder it's standing a bit. Elma would be interesting but I'm not, sure she stands out in a way that would either replace Shulk or the newness of someone from Xenoblade 2.

Xenoblade 2 combat is based heavily around the Drivers and Blades. The blade extend their power to their Driver and in general need to be within a certain distance of their blades or they because weaker. It could be the kind of thing like Pokemon Trainer where Pyra would be in the background and if within a certain distance Rex's attacks could be stronger or something to that regards. I'm not sure how good that would be in a game like smash but it's a concept idea that would relate to the game in some ways..

I always amused when companies play along with current headlines for marketing purposes.

Frankly I could think of worse characters then Goku to use. At least Goku has been featured in Video Games in one form or another since the NES era lol. I know it's extremely unlikely but I wouldn't offended by the prospect persay lol
It is "per se." Sorry, I hate correcting people, but I have some sort of psychological compulsion when people write it that way. My b.

Paper Mario could be a cool newcomer that I'm honestly surprised isn't in the game yet. He has his own game series and would most likely play completely different than Mario or Dr Mario.
I am also surprised that we have been able to dodge him for so long. I just thank whatever higher power has been protecting me from him.

I'm telling you, Super Smash Bros. Storm with extreme weather that could be toggled on or off would be FREAKING THE BEST
Honestly, that sounds like a real name. All of the other suggestions are too corny for my taste.

andimidna

Smash Master
Thanks for the responses about Dark Pit. Went offline right after posting that oops.

Would yall rather see 10 third part franchises represented, each with one character, or five third party franchises represented by two characters?
Definitely 10 from different series. As much as I’d like to see some other aspects from Bayonetta represented, I think overrepresenting a 3rd party is counterintuitive to Smash. I don’t think any amount of support could warrant that honestly.
I mean, just think of the 10. Disregarding chances and just naming big names: Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Snake, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Bomberman
Still leaving other iconic characters behind like Spyro, Banjo&Kazooie, etc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It can function exactly how Din's Fire works now, where a small yellow wisp flies along until it explodes into a sphere of electrical energy.
That is nothing like Urbosa's fury, which is not a ranged attack, is not a tiny exertion, is not a fast release... that's literally nothing of Urbosa's fury.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Another thing I hope they do is get rid of timed mode being the baseline for online play and make it stocks.

It was rather annoying being forced to play For Glory if I wanted to play properly.

EDIT: They could even do something where you make your own lobby with custom settings/title and have other people join it through an LFG system of some sort.

Last edited:

Ten different third parties represented as doubling down can be a bit much for certain third party franchises and it helps get different characters in.

If I had to pick those ten for 5mash I would have:

-Sonic
-Pac-Man
-Mega-Man
-Ryu
-Cloud
-Bayonetta
-Bomberman
-Shantae
-Travis Touchdown
-Rayman

The 6 from Sm4sh still work and I added others that still make sense.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
As fun as I think Goku could be (Super Smash Flash 2 is a prospect of this), he's not happening. It's been made explicitly clear that originating from a video game is a requirement for being in Smash.
Although I share your belief that Goku won't happen.

I must point out that R.O.B. was first an accessory for the NES, and never actually appeared in the two games he was an accessory for.

Also Lucario originated in the anime before debuting in a game.

So originating and being associated with games are varying requirements.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. Quantum....
*Googles*
"a discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents."
You mean... like a smash attack?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Another thing I hope they do is get rid of timed mode being the baseline for online play and make it stocks
While I and many others prefer stocks, I believe the idea behind time being the base mode is that nobody has to just sit and watch, because that's not really fun. Even if you're doing bad, you're still playing from start to finish, which is more welcoming to newcomers and the younger audience who maybe haven't found the rule changes or just want to have fun in a larger group.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I must point out that R.O.B. was first an accessory for the NES, and never actually appeared in the two games he was an accessory for.

Both R.O.B. and Lucario have ties to Nintendo at least, which is why those two were able to be exceptions.

Michelchondria

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post

No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom