• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Dark Pit were to return I think he would need to change up his attacks a bit similar to how Luigi was changed from 64 to Melee.

Doesn't have to be extensive. Maybe even on the level of Doctor Mario in terms of how much of a clone he is.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think it'd be sick if Dark Pit's normals utilized the Claw weapon type from Uprising, and his specials utilized the Dark Pit Staff. Seeing as his only appearance is within that game, I think it'd be cool if he represented that specific title a little more than Pit.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well I suppose you are free to your opinion, but I have to completely disagree with you. Sakurai isn't an idiot. I don't want Goku in this game either, but your pessimism is astronomical.
Well geez dude. Sorry for being paranoid about the prospect of non-video game characters in the game. You might think it could end there but there is no guarantee that it would and in all likelihood it wouldn't. It's a nightmare scenario I never want to live with.
Don't hate me, but I'd prefer to get Goku instead.
I know, neither outcome is pleasant but dammit I would take the first option if it meant Smash never being opened to dumb 4th party characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
ExciteBike revealed next. Arms probably revealed last as a result of being added late in development.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well geez dude. Sorry for being paranoid about the prospect of non-video game characters in the game. You might think it could end there but there is no guarantee that it would and in all likelihood it wouldn't. It's a nightmare scenario I never want to live with.
I'm certainly not trying to be rude to you, I just don't think we should discount Sakurai's ability to reason. It seems pretty unfair to him, and he's given us near 20 years of incredible games that once included unfortunate mechanics like tripping. But hey, hopefully Goku doesn't appear at all and we don't have to even be concerned about this.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know, neither outcome is pleasant but dammit I would take the first option if it meant Smash never being opened to dumb 4th party characters.
B-But then we'll never get to see Spongebob in Smash!

Relax. Based off Sakurai's previous comments on characters such as Goku, I think the odds of that ever happening are INCREDIBLY slim. Like Mr. Game and Watch slim.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
ExciteBike revealed next. Arms probably revealed last as a result of being added late in development.
I'm doubtful for ExciteBike.
I'm certainly not trying to be rude to you, I just don't think we should discount Sakurai's ability to reason. It seems pretty unfair to him, and he's given us near 20 years of incredible games that once included unfortunate mechanics like tripping. But hey, hopefully Goku doesn't appear at all and we don't have to even be concerned about this.
B-But then we'll never get to see Spongebob in Smash!

Relax. Based off Sakurai's previous comments on characters such as Goku, I think the odds of that ever happening are INCREDIBLY slim. Like Mr. Game and Watch slim.
Lets all hope so.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think batman should join before goku because he's a bigger impact in pop culture.

Not that I would want a non-videogame character.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We'll probably get a guest character reveal at E3 since that's typically been the time where guest characters have been announced. I just wonder who it will be.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
There are so many video-games characters to add before Goku.
I would be so salty if he got in before Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Why are we discussing 4th party characters again? Eh, might as well give my 2 cents

Don't tell me you don't ****ing want this

Luminario

Smash Lord
Question: If the Octolings were playable in some capacity, would you prefer them as alt skins for the Inklings (which would probably make it a 4-4-4-4 split between the boy/girls of both) or as a [semi-]clone character of their own, Possibly with different weapons?

Personally I’d prefer semi-clone because I don’t mind clones, and there’s so many weapon types+choices that giving something different to the Octoling to represent more of the Splatoon arsenal seems like a no-brainer to me.
I could see semi-clone happening. Octolings are a very popular part of Splatoon, especially with the Octo Expansion coming summer, I can see them using the same weapon types as Inklings but mixed up slighty, like instead of the Splat Charger they get a E-Litre, or instead of the Inbrush it's an Octobrush. Basically they could be more power/range, less speed.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Most disagree, but I think that Little Mac and Duck Hunt are being replaced by new Retro characters.
Wii Fit Trainer just seems like an easy drop choice for more new characters considering this game won't be on a Wii system or have Wii Fit.
Shulk is the most likely to stay but he is possible to get cut because of Rex.

Okay, I lied. Bayonetta is the most likely to stay but sometimes I try to forget she was ever in Smash.:laugh:
I don’t think Little Mac or Duck Hunt are going anywhere. Sakurai loves adding retro reps, and considered L’Mac and Duck Hunt are unique and iconic in their own right, especially to Nintendo.

Wii Fit Trainer is unique, and I feel like she represents the Wii Era. Wii Fit was a popular franchise for a popular Nintendo system.

I’ve explained my feelings on Shulk staying while we also get a new Xenoblade rep in Rex & Pyra.

I’d rather not see unique characters cut. I also feel like you’re using the mentality that “If this character stays/gets in this other character won’t.” Which has been explained many, many times as not being the case.

To each their own though.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As fun as I think Goku could be (Super Smash Flash 2 is a prospect of this), he's not happening. It's been made explicitly clear that originating from a video game is a requirement for being in Smash.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Why are we discussing 4th party characters again? Eh, might as well give my 2 cents

Don't tell me you don't ****ing want this
Well, I had an idea for a fourth-party character too...

Just kidding, eat it Vader lmao

D

Deleted member

Tiny thing but I really hope they go back to using Ness's victory theme from Melee/64. I don't really care for the Brawl/Smash 4 one.
I do like the old one better, so I agree.
I'd like it if Lucas kept the current one though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Why would you need to keep "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" a secret other than to anger people who thought it'd be an original game later on?
Well even if it is a port they could go with a different name, like Super Smash Bros DX or something. I don't think it's a port though.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
What if transformations are back? were they cut because of an issue with the 3DS I cant recall?

I know squirtle and ivysaur were requested to come back, not as much as wolf and ice climbers but I know the cut veterans were very high on the smash ballot (which I assume is where a lot of the roster choices will come from this time) so perhaps we'll see pokemon trainer again?

If that's the case ZS Samus and Sheik could Maybe go back to being transformations? I'm not sure how I feel about this, as i like them separate and i like charizard alone but it could potentially happen. I'm considering what could be the big changes that would be a reason to make this not a port and this could be one of them.

If transformations do come back then I'd love for "Champions" to be a character as you wouldn't have to pick just one and we'd get the 4 unrepresented races of Hyrule in as playable. My biggest issue with the champions is picking one over the others but this would work well.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
No seriously, how does "Super Smash Bros. (working title)" debunk that it isn't a port?
If it was a port, it would have for title something with "for" in it.
Naming the next smash bros "Super Smash Bros. (working title)" is unexpecting enough to confirm it's a new game. Especially the "()".

D

Deleted member

I mean, I support that. If Mario and Kirby can get multiple victory themes, why not Ness and Lucas?
I actually want every character to have a unique victory theme.
And I also want Meta Knight to get a new victory theme, the current one feels super lazy to me.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I almost don't want tranformations back because it feels like a waste of a move. Actually, it would be cool if transformations did come back in the form of a taunt rather than a down b or something.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Crash is one of the few western series to do well in Japan. I would say don't sleep on the Bandicoot.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I almost don't want tranformations back because it feels like a waste of a move. Actually, it would be cool if transformations did come back in the form of a taunt rather than a down b or something.
Phantom Armor isn't too great either though.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I mean, he put in Cloud, and Crash has a similar amount of star power.
I think that’s a little bit of a stretch. Final Fantasy/Cloud is astronomically bigger than Crash Bandicoot. At least from what I can see.

I’m not saying Crash Bandicoot isn’t popular, but Final Fantasy is more popular/well recognized, and has been so for a longer time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom