• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Digimon in Smash would be a nice callback to the days when Pokemon and Digimon were rivals ala :4mario:VS:4sonic:.

Don't think it's very likely to happen though.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon and Pokemon aren't exactly rivals anymore. A few years ago maybe, but not now.
Just like Sonic and Mario.
But people wanted Sonic like Mad on Smash.
So i think Agumon joining would make the internet flip as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You have any proof of that? Don't remember that being an issue with Palutena's inclusion.

Besides, Palutena's Army was a ****ty Final Smash - it was gonna have to be changed anyway.
Not sure if Sakurai specifically said that's why Pit's Final Smash was changed, but I can see why it'd be a possible issue.

Although, it could have easily been fixed by removing Palutena in the background of the attack.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What about the idea of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as a duo character? I played Partners in Time, but its been so long I can't remember a lot of specifics, but I'm sure there's an awful lot of material to play off of for them to work as an interesting Duo character.

Graizen

Smash Champion
People i need to go now, thanks for the talk!
Pass by the Agumon topic if you want , we have some Digital Cookies!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
What about the idea of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as a duo character? I played Partners in Time, but its been so long I can't remember a lot of specifics, but I'm sure there's an awful lot of material to play off of for them to work as an interesting Duo character.
Something about that just rubs me the wrong way; it'd make Ice Climbers less unique.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
All my life with Smash Brothers, my Dream was to see Agumon joining and battling Pikachu.
So i try my best to do all i can to help it happen someday.

Even so some people don't respect it, alot of Digimon fans think Digimon have 0 chances of doing it.
It is realy hard to find people to support it.

But i will not give up until the end!
You guys will see!
Everyone for or against Agumon needs to understand this...
This changed my perception of Agumon in Smash forever once I realized this.

Agumon represents a specific niche in gaming not yet represented in Smash Bros.
Agumon first debuted as handheld digital pet game. (Better known as Tamagotchi)
Tamagotchi could arguably be a better rep for a handheld digital pet game, as it's the first and original.
However Bandai released Digimon only a year after Tamagotchi as a way to appeal to more males.
It's essentially the boy marketed version of Tamagotchi.

Here's how significant this is.... it's creator Aki Maita won the NOBEL PRIZE in economics for it's creation, in 1997.
It was so iconic it defined the 90's and was an absolute Craze that was even felt in the west.
If you didn't grow up during the 90's you may not be able to appreciate this.

With Bandai Namco at the helm of this game (likely) it's a wonder why we didn't get more then just PacMan...
Handheld digital pets have contributed greatly to gaming... and continue to this day in form of smart phone games, as well as still in its original capacity... countless Tamagotchi and Digimon inspired games have been on multiple Nintendo platforms as well throughout history.

Just thought everyone should know and understand this... it's history.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Question: If the Octolings were playable in some capacity, would you prefer them as alt skins for the Inklings (which would probably make it a 4-4-4-4 split between the boy/girls of both) or as a [semi-]clone character of their own, Possibly with different weapons?

Personally I’d prefer semi-clone because I don’t mind clones, and there’s so many weapon types+choices that giving something different to the Octoling to represent more of the Splatoon arsenal seems like a no-brainer to me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't care much either way. It would be nice if Yoshi had a 2nd character playable in it's series.

And yes I know. Yoshi, DK, and Wario are all pretty much extensions of the core Mario series.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I hope for Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat series coming as newcomer and his Final Smash might be when he transform himself into the dragon from the Animality category.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In PiT, the babies could jump, whack stuff with hammers, and perform a few special attacks in battles. They could do a few more cool moves, but they required the older brothers to do them.

Since we're on the topic, why not make "Mario & Luigi" a character? The name might not be perfect, but they have plenty of material to work with. Hammers, Spin Jumps, Hammer Drills, Special Attacks - they have all sorts of moveset potential. Plus, it'd be nice to have another duo character that functions similarly to Ice Climbers.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If it was to ever happen, it would be one of the biggest event in video games for this decade.
Or Shrek.
You might as well start adding everyone like Shrek, Spongebob, and all the stupid meme characters people ask for.

People don't understand the implications of Goku being in Smash and what it's going to lead to.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
If Ubisoft gets a rep in Smash
The only other choice, so that is my second pick for a Yoshi character as well.
I mean are you really going to make Baby Mario and Baby Luigi fight themselves as an adult?

Sigh, people still made this misconception over and over again. I made a post here a while back about this.
Sakurai does not dislike competitive Smash Brothers, he just does not want it directed only towards that. He needs to appeal to the bigger audience for cash, and the majority of the audience is the casuals. If Sakurai made a game that appealed to only the competitive, that could cause a big loss of money as the majority of the audience, who are the casuals, would not be playing it as much because it is "too difficult" or something like that. In fact, I think Sakurai kind of likes competitive Smash a bit. He attended some events of it and even added For Glory.
Get what I mean?
Sakurai has a point when you look at the top selling fighting games this Generation. Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Dragon Ball Fighter Z all follow the same idea of having gameplay, modes, and rosters that appeal to casual fans while attracting the more hardcore fans with deeper gameplay.

Look at how Capcom has struggled this generation with their fighting games. Street Fighter V at launch lacked many modes and was clearly aimed at tournament players. Sales of the game were sluggish and the game is still struggling to recover. Marvel vs Capcom infinite on the other hand did have an arcade mode and story mode, but the roster proved to be very unpopular, even with X added on the Capcom side.

People can slam Sakurai all they want for his statements when it comes to casuals and fighting games, but I think the sales of not just Smash, but Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Dragon Ball Fighter Z help support his argument that fighting games need to appeal to both kinds of gamers.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Question: If the Octolings were playable in some capacity, would you prefer them as alt skins for the Inklings (which would probably make it a 4-4-4-4 split between the boy/girls of both) or as a [semi-]clone character of their own, Possibly with different weapons?

Personally I’d prefer semi-clone because I don’t mind clones, and there’s so many weapon types+choices that giving something different to the Octoling to represent more of the Splatoon arsenal seems like a no-brainer to me.
Tough call.

My ideal roster would have male and female Inklings as alts of each other, with Octolings being semi-clones, also having male/female alts. I doubt we're getting more than one Splatoon rep however.

andimidna

Smash Master
Since I posted it in the middle of a very ramble-y rant, what’s the general consensus on Dark Pit? Not caring about him but assuming he’ll return slightly more diversified?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Since I posted it in the middle of a very ramble-y rant, what’s the general consensus on Dark Pit? Not caring about him but assuming he’ll return slightly more diversified?
I personally don't care for Dark Pit enough to be upset if he leaves the roster, though I highly doubt Sakurai will remove him.
If he is to come back I think he needs to be a bit more diversified though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You might as well start adding everyone like Shrek, Spongebob, and all the stupid meme characters people ask for.

People don't understand the implications of Goku being in Smash and what it's going to lead to.
I mean it doesn't HAVE to lead to anything beyond an anime character with a million video game appearances being in the game... You are blowing that way out of proportion. You're making the suggestion that Sakruai is a robot who pumps out anything that's possibly in some way related to something else if it's in the game, which isn't true. He's a smart human who could potentially see the non-meme merits of a character and include them, and stop there. It's pretty easy, really.

I'm not a Goku supporter, but Goku being added would absolutely not put Spongebob or Shrek within thought's reach.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
One thing I realized would work in Impa's favor is that I'm 90% sure they probably have artwork of her for BotW when she was young, since even though she was old in the game, her young 20-something year old self was mentioned a whole bunch and I believe there even is a picture of her in the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People don't like him because of his clone status and especially so because he's pretty much the same as Pit minus his arrows.

I want to see him return but with a revamped moveset. I think DP has a cool vibe about him that I don't want to lose on the roster. That and his Final Smash is so badass.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
The Nintendo News on Switch has just debunked the port theory.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
If Ubisoft gets a rep in Smash

Sakurai has a point when you look at the top selling fighting games this Generation. Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Dragon Ball Fighter Z all follow the same idea of having gameplay, modes, and rosters that appeal to casual fans while attracting the more hardcore fans with deeper gameplay.

Look at how Capcom has struggled this generation with their fighting games. Street Fighter V at launch lacked many modes and was clearly aimed at tournament players. Sales of the game were sluggish and the game is still struggling to recover. Marvel vs Capcom infinite on the other hand did have an arcade mode and story mode, but the roster proved to be very unpopular, even with X added on the Capcom side.

People can slam Sakurai all they want for his statements when it comes to casuals and fighting games, but I think the sales of not just Smash, but Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Dragon Ball Fighter Z help support his argument that fighting games need to appeal to both kinds of gamers.
I agree. Those games you've mentioned had all good presentations in what they were... GOOD fighting games. A lot of content in them pleased the casuals while the competitive scenes got their balanced fighting game... (mostly balanced *cough* Deadshot)

Though I gotta admit.. DBFZ drew an awful lot of casuals according to my online experience.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I mean it doesn't HAVE to lead to anything beyond an anime character with a million video game appearances being in the game... You are blowing that way out of proportion. You're making the suggestion that Sakruai is a robot who pumps out anything that's possibly in some way related to something else if it's in the game, which isn't true. He's a smart human who could potentially see the non-meme merits of a character and include them, and stop there. It's pretty easy, really.

I'm not a Goku supporter, but Goku being added would absolutely not put Spongebob or Shrek within thought's reach.
It's nearly impossible as it is for Sakurai to even consider any western video game characters, so I don't think anything like

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know people support him, and I know how hard it is to see a character get cut, but I'm just gonna go ahead and say what we're all thinking.

Out of every character that could get cut from the roster, Dark Pit would probably be the most likely to go.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit surprised that no one mentioned Poochy as second Yoshi rep. Sure, Kamek is by far the most likely and most popular, but I'd choose Poochy over the Babies simply because of Poochy & Yoshis Woolly World.
Be honest, who wouldn't want a doggo fight? :4duckhunt:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Make him an alt for Pit just so we can have Hades as the third KI character instead.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
See, I've always dreamed of a Dark Pit moveset that's based on all the different weapons from Uprising. Using claws, staffs, cannons, things like that.

If Dark Pit got a moveset like that, I'd gladly welcome him back.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd personally take the Octolings as a semiclone, or rather just a separate unique character from the Inklings, with different weapons and their own moveset. While I think just the Inklings are good enough for now, if the Octolings find their place in Splatoon after the DLC (like, in future games or whatever), they're gonna be pretty much the next best thing after the Inklings. But yeah, not now.

Then again, with the way Splatoon blew up and how popular it is, Splatoon is probably the one game I could see two newcomers getting in at once... doubt it would be Octoling just yet though.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

You underestimate the flood gates being opened.

If Goku gets in what's stopping Sakurai from adding in as many 4th party characters as he wants? Because clearly the precedent would be set and any anime character or cartoon character would be allowed access to the game. Hell if Sakurai's willing to bow down to that audience who wanted Goku who's to say he won't do that for other 4th party characters.

I'm not underestimating anything. I know exactly what the implications are of Goku's inclusion. Give me a million Fire Emblem characters before I have to live in a world where Goku's in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember really wanting to see Takamaru for years now, though I have become awfully quiet about it since. Assist Trophy-inclusion in Smash 4 kind of had me forget about him too.

But like most have said here, I think he's in pretty good spot, and I'd be delighted to see him.

Make it happen! :shades::shades::shades:
Why are we still doing this, again?

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that he will return with a few changes. Wouldn't be surprised if he is still very clone-y as the whole point of him being playable was that he was basically no work. If it's using a lot of Smash For's assets, more diversification seems likely since less work is necessary to get him started
:061:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You underestimate the flood gates being opened.

If Goku gets in what's stopping Sakurai from adding in as many 4th party characters as he wants? Because clearly the precedent would be set and any anime character or cartoon character would be allowed access to the game. Hell if Sakurai's willing to bow down to that audience who wanted Goku who's to say he won't do that for other 4th party characters.

I'm not underestimating anything. I know exactly what the implications are of Goku's inclusion. Give me a million Fire Emblem characters before I have to live in a world where Goku's in Smash.
Well I suppose you are free to your opinion, but I have to completely disagree with you. Sakurai isn't an idiot. I don't want Goku in this game either, but your pessimism is astronomical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom