• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So ask a stupid question but, can someone explain to me why the idea of "stealing a character's slot" is flawed?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So ask a stupid question but, can someone explain to me why the idea of "stealing a character's slot" is flawed?
You can't steal a character slot if Sakurai never considered that Characters.
There no "slot" just Sakurai choosing characters he want with the time he have.

I thought Sonic in brawl proved that since thanks to him TLink/Wolf/Jiggly became reality

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It is because I do not like the three Links, already. Dr. Mario is one Mario to much.
At least with Paper Mario he'd play entirely differently. The three Links are similar enough that I can see what you mean (though I don't personally mind), but it's not like there would be another Mario/Dr. Mario/Luigi moveset in the roster

If character B stole the slot from character A, doesn't that imply that it was character A's slot to begin with? Which pretty much isn't the case lol

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've never played Minecraft but Steve getting in doesn't bother me in the slightest.

He's almost the face of a new generation of gamers and that's okay.
Same. I've never played Minecraft, but I do see why the series is popular.

Anyways about this Katalina, if anything would she be viable as a DLC candidate if negotiations between Nintendo and Cy Games goes according to plan?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well, back to that Ken "leak"
Anon did it's research. It's not a Ripped model from Capcom or his Smash Trophy-
Either a custom one (probably) or the real deal as weird as he look.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only slot you can argue was stolen was Chrom's but that's a grey area.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Chrom's slot wasn't stolen. It just became Free after Falcon came to welcome him.

Ahahah....

I hate myself doing Chrom joke when I wanted him. Still hurt.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I kinda want to say K.Rool stole the spot of Dixie, but I guess he deserved it... -_-

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
That Ken is ugly as ****, what a weirdo. There's something strange about his face. No more stuff? Probably some photoshop, I don't buy it, probably he's in but I wait something better.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As far as popularity goes, sure, Yoshi is pretty popular, but comparing him to Pikachu is madness.

Pikachu is probably the only serious contender to the throne of most well known character in Smash to Mario. I wouldn't even put Yoshi in the top 5; DK, Pac-Man, Link and Sonic are all probably bigger.

D

Deleted member

It really isn't. Chrom was planned alongside the rest of the roster. His inclusion has not changed the chances of any other character past the initial plans.
That, and he is there by popular demand, as Sakurai mentioned. Unless it's a conspiracy of sorts, there is no real indication that Chrom is a waste or a thief.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
As far as popularity goes, sure, Yoshi is pretty popular, but comparing him to Pikachu is madness.

Pikachu is probably the only serious contender to the throne of most well known character in Smash to Mario. I wouldn't even put Yoshi in the top 5; DK, Pac-Man, Link and Sonic are all probably bigger.
Gah, this is the frustrating thing about being the Yoshi fan that I am. I bet Yoshi actually IS that popular, but I'm the wrong person to make that claim...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, back to that Ken "leak"
Anon did it's research. It's not a Ripped model from Capcom or his Smash Trophy-
Either a custom one (probably) or the real deal as weird as he look.
Well Street Fighter V showed us that's possible. Nanner hair anybody?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
It can be just a drawing or something fan made, there's something odd about his shadows in the clothes or the arm. If you only show a dirty pic it's pretty easy make a fake.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
In regards to "supposed slot stealing", I guess there's the idea of WHICH characters get the finite spots on the roster for Ultimate and which don't, thus maybe implying favouritism if they were all EQUALLY "worthy of a slot" but rather just being a case of "you can't please everybody and get ABSOLUTELY every candidate in the game"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Monster Hunter is my second wanted Capcom character (just a little ahead of Dante), however it's very telling that we're probably not gonna get a Monster Hunter newcomer, because Sakurai didn't introduce them before showing off the Monster Hunter content, which is something he wouldn't of done if they were in, especially for a third party character.

Even if they weren't ready to show them yet, they could of did the same thing they did for Mewtwo and make a special announcement aging that they're in. There are many potential movesets they could use, but I won't deny that, especially since getting in would be amazing for me and others. Could they be in Smash? Maybe, but sadly I don't think it's looking good for them, and we'll most likely get another Capcom newcomer.
That wasn't the point I was making. I'm not arguing that we will see a Monster Hunter character, I was arguing against the point that it, along with other franchises like Minecraft, only needed 'certain representation' of it.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Ridley design could very well be his design in MP4
Isabelle was clearly for AC switch
Simon and Richter likely for castelvania collection
Inkling for splatoon 2
Luigis new vacuum design was for LM3
Wolfs new outfit might be for the new star fox racing game
Warios new gold buttons might be for a new wario land
:ultridley: gotten in due to high requests and his design is an amalgamation of his Super Metroid and Other M look.

:ultisabelle: is a new breakout Nintendo character that's been around since 2012. She's simply not comparable to Corrin's inclusion in Smash Wii U.

Pretty much all Splatoon content, including :ultinkling:, are based off Splatoon 1, a 2015 Wii U game, and the lack of anything Splatoon 2 is pretty telling.

:ultsimon: and :ultrichter: are old-school characters representing an iconic, classic franchise that's been around since the NES era.

:ultchrom: isn't even the latest lord anymore and :ultkrool: and :ultdarksamus: are self-explanatory.

So really, what "advertisement characters" are there? This argument would make sense if we've gotten characters like Spring Man and Rex, (at the time) unproven characters who would solely get in back in 2015/2016 because they had an upcoming new game. Even Pokemon itself would get a newcomer due to how much of a crowd-pleaser the franchise is.

Nobody asked for Duckhunt or Wii Fit Trainer and they still got in. Sakurai doesn't have to make every newcomer a fan-favorite or fan-request
If your going to use past trends as a legitimate argument, character cuts would also be inevitable based off that same logic, except well...

Ultimate is a different beast, and you cannot use past trends to predict newcomers for this game, especially since Sakurai himself stated when talking about Ultimate's roster that "We've streamlined the conditions for unlocking fighters and we want to make the process interesting so it feels like you're constantly recruiting popular characters on your side" and "We believe that's what players want, so we made the impossible possible" when concerning bringing back every veteran.

D

Deleted member

The most well-known characters in Smash are definitely Pikachu, Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic and Mega Man.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While extremely unlikely, it’d be amusing if there were a third party deal where part of the deal would be that the third party would break the NDA just to throw everyone off.
That is a contract clause, but its not an NDA. It's a contractual marketing ploy.

D

Deleted member

Mega Man is kind of a stretch, and this is coming from someone who likes Mega Man
Mega Man is merged deep enough into mainstream market that he counts but I don't believe he's on the level of the other four but that's simply because NO ONE else is.
unless we count same series in which case I'd say any other Pokemon or Mario character

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While characters can't technically "steal" a spot, there are a few who basically kill the chances of other characters ever getting on the roster.

Take Pokemon for example. If your Gen VII favorite doesn't get added in this game, I can almost guarantee you that it'll never have a decent shot at getting in Smash ever again. It's a sad thing to admit, but it's true. The franchise keeps moving forward at breakneck speed, leaving very little time to look back at anything in the past (save for Gen I, which stays relevant no matter how hard we try to ignore it).

By the way,
> :ultisabelle:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In regards to the Ken leak, it looks as if the image is scanned or photographed from a magazine or book.

It definitely doesn't look like it's a photographed screen.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Mega Man is merged deep enough into mainstream market that he counts but I don't believe he's on the level of the other four but that's simply because NO ONE else is.
unless we count same series in which case I'd say any other Pokemon or Mario character
Which is why I suggest my boi. I'm not the right person to make that claim, but I'm confident that his recognition is somewhere in the 90% range...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Daisy, Dark Pit and Lucina’s artwork were intentionally set up and made to mirror Peach, Pit and Marth’s. They are the only three characters to follow this pattern. It was like that with Marth and Lucina and Dark Pit and Pit in Smash 4 too.
And your conclusion is then that Daisy was the first echo conceived?

D

Deleted member

Which is why I suggest my boi. I'm not the right person to make that claim, but I'm confident that his recognition is somewhere in the 90% range...
I won't deny Yoshi is well known, if Mario is ever paired with someone in merch, it's usually him but I still believe the other four(Luigi, Peach and Bowser) are at least on the same level as Yoshi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I won't deny Yoshi is well known, if Mario is ever paired with someone in merch, it's usually him but I still believe the other four(Luigi, Peach and Bowser) are at least on the same level as Yoshi.
Peach and Bowser I'd agree. As someone who's almost as much of a fan of Luigi as much as my boi though, I can say he's shafted a lot due to the close association with his brother...

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Mappy's Whistle looking identical to the one in the character montage from E3 (with Pac-Man) is making me think it's real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom