• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The Villager- "ISABELLA, MY ASSISTANT, HELP ME"!

Isabella Grabs Villagers hands and leans towards him while giving off an evil smile while also digging her nails into the Villagers hands!

Isabella- "LONG LIVE THE MAYOR"

Villager then screams as falls off the stage into a stampede of meteors (Ten brownie points to you all if can guess what I'm referencing)!
Hmmmm I wonder what it could be....
Oh right! It's Aladdin King of Thieves right?! /s

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
The Villager- "ISABELLA, MY ASSISTANT, HELP ME"!

Isabella Grabs Villagers hands and leans towards him while giving off an evil smile while also digging her nails into the Villagers hands!

Isabella- "LONG LIVE THE MAYOR"

Villager then screams as falls off the stage into a stampede of meteors (Ten brownie points to you all if can guess what I'm referencing)!
Mufasa's death scene from Lion King

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In all fairness, you could say that "The Wii Fit Trainer isn't iconic, Wii Fit is!" but look at who we have here. Or "Villager isn't iconic, Animal Crossing is!" Steve is a part of Minecraft and if he were playable he'd represent what the game is about through his moveset. It's a different case from Monster Hunter where a boss better represents the game then a character, since it's a game about gigantic boss fights.

Not that I'm actually expecting him to be playable, I just like to argue these things.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Community, "We don't want just TWO more! That's just boring!"

Sakurai, "Okay, I'll add one more character."

Community, "Yes?"

Sakurai, "And they'll be from a 3rd party."

Community, "Yes?!"

Sakurai, "And this 3rd party is highly influential and iconic!"

Community, "YES?!"

*STEVE DIGS IN!*

Community, "-Censored due to this being a good board for good lads and lasses-"
Steve would be awesome if just to replicate the salt Bayonetta caused but bigger.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do yall think they would use "Steve?" or just "Steve"?

Having the question mark would be funny. It'd add a bit more meme-potential if you ask me, if getting Steve isn't already enough :troll:

I also hope he would keep his stiff animations; as Mega Bidoof pointed out, that could be hilarious.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do yall think they would use "Steve?" or just "Steve"?

Having the question mark would be funny. It'd add a bit more meme-potential if you ask me, if getting Steve isn't already enough :troll:

I also hope he would keep his stiff animations; as Mega Bidoof pointed out, that could be hilarious.
Probably without the question mark. But I could see the tagline using one for fun.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In all fairness, you could say that "The Wii Fit Trainer isn't Iconic, Wii Fit is!" but look at who we have here. Or "Villager isn't iconic, Animal Crossing is!" Steve is a part of Minecraft and if he were playable he'd represent what the game is about through his moveset. It's a different case from Monster Hunter where a boss better represents the game then a character, since it's a game about gigantic boss fights.

Not that I'm actually expecting him to be playable, I just like to argue these things.
I wouldn't even say Monster Hunter works for that as many fans were ecstatic to see the Monster Huntress in MvCi, to the point that she was considered one of the highlights of its DLC. Additionally, the Hunters (and the Felynes) have a lot of merchandise dedicated to themselves through their many armor sets, so it's not like fans don't get attached to the player character in any way.

Really, in general just because we think a franchise can work without a representative character doesn't mean it can't have one. Those characters can bring to the table something that you can't foresee due to your own personal bias on the matter, they can have a moveset that can be exciting for you to see in action, they can bring fans of those franchises that are latched onto those characters because they love them and want to see more of them, and they can show you a franchise that you would've otherwise overlooked if it wasn't for the character present in the roster. You can't ignore the options just because of your own bias, those options may have more then you give them credit for.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wouldn't even say Monster Hunter works for that as many fans were ecstatic to see the Monster Huntress in MvCi, to the point that she was considered one of the highlights of its DLC. Additionally, the Hunters (and the Felynes) have a lot of merchandise dedicated to themselves through their many armor sets, so it's not like fans don't get attached to the player character in any way.

Really, in general just because we think a franchise can work without a representative character doesn't mean it can't have one. Those characters can bring to the table something that you can't foresee due to your own personal bias on the matter, they can have a moveset that can be exciting for you to see in action, they can bring fans of those franchises that are latched onto those characters because they love them and want to see more of them, and they can show you a franchise that you would've otherwise overlooked if it wasn't for the character present in the roster. You can't ignore the options just because of your own bias, those options may have more then you give them credit for.
I can't say I disagree with any of this. I'm sure that if a Monster Hunter got in as DLC it would be very well received with the general fanbase, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. And just as I pointed out with how Steve could represent the general gameplay of Minecraft, I'm sure a Hunter could represent the general gameplay of Monster Hunter in some form. However I think having a monster in a game like Smash is even more important priority then having the hunter.

I'm saying all of this in hindsight of course. If you asked me before the Rathalos reveal, I probably would have said it'd be very weird to have a boss without a playable character of the same franchise.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Really though.

While I'm not saying I even 'want' Steve, his inclusion makes sense.

Since Brawl, we've had 2 new 3rd party IPs added on the base roster:

:ultsnake::ultsonic:
:ultmegaman::ultpacman:
:ultsimon:and.....?

I always found it off that Verg was so sure about Minecraft being in in some form, but not as playable.

D

Deleted member

I'm not even a fan of Street Fighter (or traditional Fighters in general) and I'm rooting for Ken in Ultimate. He was pretty much the original Echo Fighter, he deserves to be in as one.
Can I just say on record that Street Fighter IV Ken is best Ken.

Pakky

Smash Hero
2001: Metal Gear will never come into Smash! Its content is too mature!
2014: Bayonetta will never come to Smash! Its content is too mature!
2018:

You're really telling me that this thing

is too mature?
What a precious baby with silly feet! Put him in as an AT!

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Monster Hunter is my second wanted Capcom character (just a little ahead of Dante), however it's very telling that we're probably not gonna get a Monster Hunter newcomer, because Sakurai didn't introduce them before showing off the Monster Hunter content, which is something he wouldn't of done if they were in, especially for a third party character.

Even if they weren't ready to show them yet, they could of did the same thing they did for Mewtwo and make a special announcement aging that they're in. There are many potential movesets they could use, but I won't deny that, especially since getting in would be amazing for me and others. Could they be in Smash? Maybe, but sadly I don't think it's looking good for them, and we'll most likely get another Capcom newcomer.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
it'd be very weird to have a boss without a playable character of the same franchise.
I mean...

Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Tabuu, Duon and Galleom... >_>

(Disclaimer: I know what you actually meant)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
lol yes, I think the Pinky Demon is too mature. If little kids playing Smash see Doom in the game, they're gonna look it up and it may just be too mature for them
And a kid will look up Metal Gear Solid and see all the ****ed up **** in MGSV

This is kinda ridiculous to argue

Shroob

Sup?
Ultimate Roster.png

Never thought I'd be putting ****ing STEVE on an end game potential roster, but... here we are.

.....god the next Direct can't come soon enough.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean...

Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Tabuu, Duon and Galleom... >_>

(Disclaimer: I know what you actually meant)
But we have a lot of Super Smash Bros characters: Mario, Link, Isabelle, Goku, Samus... :awesome:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't see Steve happening. Like, I just don't. Sure there's the possibility he did decent in the Ballot but if I had to guess I'm sure Sakurai sees more active support for Banjo. Theres 3 Twitter accounts alone that support the character in Smash specifically and have made their voice heard. Loud enough for Phil Spencer to acknowledge it.

There is the possibility that they both could get in I guess, but armageddon was supposed to happen in 2012.

LetterO

Smash Lord
If Steve (or any other non-Kencineroar) gets in then Box theory is dead and I’m happy.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't see Steve happening. Like, I just don't. Sure there's the possibility he did decent in the Ballot but if I had to guess I'm sure Sakurai sees more active support for Banjo. Theres 3 Twitter accounts alone that support the character in Smash specifically and have made their voice heard. Loud enough for Phil Spencer to acknowledge it.

There is the possibility that they both could get in I guess, but armageddon was supposed to happen in 2012.
Minecraft's sold almost 150million copies, and Sakurai himself likes the game.

If nothing else, Steve being in the base game means B+K could be in as DLC later down the line.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Ok enough 3rd party talk....honestly there’s one Nintendo character I never see brought up anymore who deserves to be in the light again...the stork from Yoshi’s Island!!! (Yeah I dunno there was at least one poster on the boards years ago who always brought up the stork as a Yoshi rep lol I’m sure some of your other vets here remember)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Haha, B-air the opponent into a preplaced Creeper.

Classic Steve.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ok enough 3rd party talk....honestly there’s one Nintendo character I never see brought up anymore who deserves to be in the light again...the stork from Yoshi’s Island!!! (Yeah I dunno there was at least one poster on the boards years ago who always brought up the stork as a Yoshi rep lol I’m sure some of your other vets here remember)
I'll take it :yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom