• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Lets be honest regardless of who gets into the roster. There's bound to always be salt. Look at Waluigi and Ashley...
Yeah, but those are characters who didn't get in.
I don't think there have ever been any characters who got major backlash about being added.
Close ones are probably Corrin, Isabelle, Bayonetta, and Dark Pit I guess, but none of those would compare to the salt Steve would bring imo

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's currently just post #143.
Interesting. Hmm... I doubt it'd be a character trailer then. Probably an item. It could be Ashley's AT for all we know. Then again, it didn't get highlighted during the previous Smash Direct, so it'd probably be one which was noted specifically.

KMDP

Smash Legend
150 and 151. The blog is back in schedule. It's literally pointing to 6-8 extra characters in the blog, unless the pattern changes, it's 2-4 characters per week and they seem strict about that.
Of course Pikachu's blog posts are 150 and 151. XD

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll never get the salt towards Isabelle honestly. I think she definitely deserved her inclusion being the current face of Animal Crossing and how popular she and the franchise is. Plus who could hate such a cute face like that.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
lol yes, I think the Pinky Demon is too mature. If little kids playing Smash see Doom in the game, they're gonna look it up and it may just be too mature for them
"If little kids playing Smash see Bayonetta in the game, they're gonna look it up and it may just be too mature for them"

I've seen people say Bayonetta won't happen for this very reason. I think we're past that point.

Last edited:

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. Hmm... I doubt it'd be a character trailer then. Probably an item. It could be Ashley's AT for all we know. Then again, it didn't get highlighted during the previous Smash Direct, so it'd probably be one which was noted specifically.
The people who created the blog theory think it's an item too.

LetterO

Smash Lord
While Isabelle wasn't TOO hype for me, I'm happy as her inclusion proves that not every non-echo newcomer has to be a super popular ballot character like Geno or Isaac.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Guff Huff, What about Eggman?

Its crazy that no one talks about him, other than being a boss.

Which is feasible but the least desirable option for how large of a character he is.

Bio Lizard though that's a good boss.
Eggman, bringer of Death Egg.

For a boss I'm thinking Mecha Sonic from either Sonic 2 or 3 or even a Death Egg Robot piloted by an Egg Robo?

KMDP

Smash Legend
While Isabelle wasn't TOO hype for me, I'm happy as her inclusion proves that not every non-echo newcomer has to be a super popular ballot character like Geno or Isaac.
Did Isabelle do poorly on the ballot though?

Isabelle's mega-popular, especially with the casual crowd.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eggman I feel will likely be a boss honestly. One source says he will be similar to Marx.

Dracula also already does show too 3rd parties can have bosses.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

But she was already an assist trophy, so I doubt people would want to waste their vote on someone already deconfirmed.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Jeez, I'm really not thinking right now at all. So many classics I'm overlooking. I lose this round.

View attachment 165815
Don’t put yourself down yet...there’s still time for fixing
As we all should! Lara vs Samus would be such an iconic fight and for that reason alone we need her
Lara vs Samus while she also puts down Peach
Here's a chart. You can check off Miss Pupper :3
Viridi please

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Her popularity and prominence, from my understanding, was after the ballot was done?

I don't think she's remotely a ballot choice anyway. She has a lot more going for her than that. Not so much popularity but a Nintendo All-Star. Thus, it was a matter of looking at her games and how to represent her right. When you got games like Amiibo Festival showing her playing various games that technically can count under "fighting someone" while she's happy-go-lucky, you have a way to translate her personality. If you couldn't do that, an AT would make more sense. It's personality or bust like many others.

KMDP

Smash Legend
But she was already an assist trophy, so I doubt people would want to waste their vote on someone already deconfirmed.
That's your guess, though.

Not everyone (especially casuals) is going to be aware of everyone who's already an Assist in Smash.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, but those are characters who didn't get in.
I don't think there have ever been any characters who got major backlash about being added.
Close ones are probably Corrin, Isabelle, Bayonetta, and Dark Pit I guess, but none of those would compare to the salt Steve would bring imo
This fanbase would such a big meltdown from Steve. Even more so if he was given a Banjo Skin I just don’t personally see the point in getting that worked up over a video game to get that pissed off.

LetterO

Smash Lord
That's your guess, though.

Not everyone (especially casuals) is going to be aware of everyone who's already an Assist in Smash.
People who've already played the game and actually follow the game most definitely have.

And if not, I'd be willing to bet money that the people who know Isabelle is already deconfirmed and didn't vote her outnumber the converse by quite a bit.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
With all of the crossovers Isabelle has been through, you'd think her being in Smash wasn't that surprising. *shrugs*
For those in the fanbase legit salty over her inclusion I feel they expected her, but they’re salty that she’s unique.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think every character would be from the ballot. Sakurai said he looked at the Ballot for characters, but that doesn't mean his whole list was from the Ballot.

The Pokémon is always from the Pokémon Company, who gives Sakurai some concepts to choose from if they want to market the next gen that's coming up, so that's an example.

Also, didn't the Ballot have around 1.8 million votes? People who think characters like Isabelle and Steve surely didn't get a lot of votes may be mistaken, and they may not have even been chosen because of the Ballot (and Steve may not even be playable, anyway).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
With all of the crossovers Isabelle has been through, you'd think her being in Smash wasn't that surprising. *shrugs*
Pretty much this. After she made it into Mario Kart, Smash was almost inevitable. She's become the face of Animal Crossing so fast that Tom Nook's head is still spinning.

Relevant:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Steve isn't iconic. Minecraft is.

This is why it would be best represented with a stage rather than a character designed to only be used the first time loading the game.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be honest, I didn't consider Simon a ballot choice either, so Isabelle proves nothing to me. I mean, Simon probably did well enough but I doubt he was in the leagues of K.Rool and Ridley. There are characters you can infer will be popular regardless of if they score high on polls or not, and I think Sakurai knows this.

That's why "popularity" doesn't conflict with Incineroar either. He's a starter form, he's going to have some degree of popularity by default, even if that many people weren't begging for him before Verg came around.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
People who've already played the game and actually follow the game most definitely have.

And if not, I'd be willing to bet money that the people who know Isabelle is already deconfirmed and didn't vote her outnumber the converse by quite a bit.
This is not something I want to get into an argument about, but I'll say that I can guarantee that people voted for Ridley despite him being a boss in Smash 4.

Being an Assist is not that important to super fans.
---
By the way, Isaac's thread has officially surpassed his Smash 4 one in size.

I'm fairly sure that it is the largest thread to do so (Dixie Kong has gone over that threshold, but she only need ~3400 posts).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

This is why it would be best represented with a stage rather than a character designed to only be used the first time loading the game.
To be fair, everyone who knows Minecraft knows Steve, and he even get's his own merchandise with the rest of the game's stuff. In Sakurai's eyes, he may see the character as iconic as the game itself, as Steve's pretty much used to represent it alongside Alex/female Steve and the Creeper.

Of course, the Creeper would be much more iconic than both Steve and Alex. I want the Creeper to be playable if we're getting a playable rep.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I would be okay with just a Minecraft stage. That being said, it would be a wasted opportunity to not have Steve as a playable character. He offers a lot of unique Moveset potential.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

This is the truth! Also I forget who brought it up, but if Sakurai stayed true to Steve's design, he would be walking/running at you so awkwardly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, everyone who knows Minecraft knows Steve, and he even get's his own merchandise with the rest of the game's stuff.

Of course, the Creeper would be much more iconic. I want the Creeper to be playable if we're getting a playable rep.
It helps that it's like recognizing Link. Many just think he was Zelda, but that changed a long time ago. Character is a gaming icon that is easily recognizable. Many gaming icons may not always be recognizable by their name alone, as their design is also very important.

He's been iconic for quite a while. As has the game. Creeper is also rather iconic too, but many recognize Steve? over the monstrous beast.

Shroob

Sup?
Community, "We don't want just TWO more! That's just boring!"

Sakurai, "Okay, I'll add one more character."

Community, "Yes?"

Sakurai, "And they'll be from a 3rd party."

Community, "Yes?!"

Sakurai, "And this 3rd party is highly influential and iconic!"

Community, "YES?!"

*STEVE DIGS IN!*

Community, "-Censored due to this being a good board for good lads and lasses-"

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Pretty much this. After she made it into Mario Kart, Smash was almost inevitable. She's become the face of Animal Crossing so fast that Tom Nook's head is still spinning.

Relevant:
The Villager- "ISABELLA, MY ASSISTANT, HELP ME"!

Isabella Grabs Villagers hands and leans towards him while giving off an evil smile while also digging her nails into the Villagers hands!

Isabella- "LONG LIVE THE MAYOR"

Villager then screams as falls off Final Destination into a stampede of meteors with Tom Nook in the distance screaming "Nooooo" (Ten brownie points to you all if can guess what I'm referencing)!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom