• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alph's render makes me so happy...except that he's still an alternate costume.
It's a shame that he was supposed to be one of the original echoes as well, and they didn't bring that back.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's a shame that he was supposed to be one of the original echoes as well, and they didn't bring that back.
I still can't figure out for the life of me why they wouldn't make him an echo. Because echoes are slightly different and Alph is no different?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I still can't figure out for the life of me why they wouldn't make him an echo. Because echoes are slightly different and Alph is no different?
Sakurai's way of deciding who's an alt costume, echo, or semi clone is throwing darts at characters on a board across the room.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Essentially that.

Costume = merely aesthetic differences.
Echo = gameplay differences, even if very slight.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, Zinith Zinith picked a great time to go to bed. Congrats!

So, what are some crazy alts you'd like to see from your favorite characters? A dream one for mine, Pokemon Trainer, would be Ash, but that might be unlikely. Nothing comes to the top of my head, though, as a lot of my characters have a lot of interesting alts as it is.
Gonna have to give Yoshi another try cause that alt is beautiful.

:ultsheik: Hyrule Warriors outfit

:ultfox: Put some Shades on him and him James McCloud

:ultmewtwo: Armored Mewtwo

:ultrosalina::ultpeach::ultdaisy: Sport/Racing outfits

:ultlucas:Kumatora alt like Alph (just let me dream)

:ultpichu: Spiky eared Pichu/Ukulele Pichu

:ultgreninja: Ash-Greninja speaking of which I'd be amazing if this song made it in Smash:

With DLC around the corner a lot of great, and amazing ideas for alts are actually possi-
  • Capcom pack featuring Monster Hunter plus alt costumes of Evil Ryu, Violent Ken plus palette swaps featuring an Amaterasu Duck Hunt, Strider Hiryu Sheik, and Donovan Simon.
What?! Stop right there criminal scum! You were doing sooo well until you said such blasphemy. I'm afraid I'll to take you in for question, you could try to run, but I'll will find eventually. XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I missed where it says that is the full list.

Also... what is different about Shulk, Falco, and Palutena?
I saw it mentioned somewhere that we evidently didn't have any HD renders for their (slightly updated) designs.

Palutena had a slight skirt fix and added the light behind her, Falco's feathers/head shape look different, etc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The fact that Link can move at all with a Sword, a Bow, a Quiver, a Shield, and his slate... he really is a master Warrior.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kind of odd seeing right-handed Link, but it makes sense as BotW Link is right-handed.

We still have Young Link and Toon Link that stick closer to the traditional Links, so it's a good balance.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Unlike the past games, it shafted newcomers in favor of bringing back veterans, even ones that shouldn't have come back. And unlike most of you, I don't consider the roster good just cause of the size. IMO the roster's actually kind of bad.

If there's DLC, we can have a good newcomer amount, which I wanted all along.
Honestly that doesn't make sense. All the returning characters had fans. So brining them all back was a great idea.

Honestly this game easily could have had no new character and still have been great.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Hope Sonic will have also a real alt skin, either his skin from Free Riders or his Sonic Advanture 2 skin with all his items or even Sonic Boom skin I'll be fine.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Alph's render makes me so happy...except that he's still an alternate costume.
It annoys me that he has the same pose as olimar though, the corrin's and the robin's can have different poses when they're the same character but he can't? the hell? even cloud gets a different pose with his other costume for some reason

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’d also love an Ocarina Link, but seeing as he has the remote bombs, Sakurai would probably deem that not true to the character. That’s probably why we have the Tunic of the Wild instead of a green tunic people actually like.
I can't in good faith take a right hand Ocarina of Time Link. My mind will not let me. Can't even wear that costume in BotW because of it.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In case anyone has not heard, Stormy Daniels brought Toad into mainstream pop culture lexicon again.

Gaming. Sex. And Politics. All at once. A blessing indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It annoys me that he has the same pose as olimar though, the corrin's and the robin's can have different poses when they're the same character but he can't? the hell? even cloud gets a different pose with his other costume for some reason
It’s Alph discrimination. Even the Koopalings get unique poses. It was like this in Smash 4 too. When will the injustice end?

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ike, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager also have only one pose. Maybe they only change it to fit better to costumes?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I have two theories:

1: Making Rock Pikmin is too resource-intensive for an Echo or Sakurai can't figure out how to meaningfully distinct them from Purple Pikmin. Additionally if there is no Rock Pikmin, Sakurai could be unable to envision how to meaningfully differentiate Alph from Olimar.

2: Sakurai made Louie an Olimar Echo instead.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't in good faith take a right hand Ocarina of Time Link. My mind will not let me. Can't even wear that costume in BotW because of it.
I'll be pretty pissed honestly if the only Zelda newcomer would be the Hero of Time as Champion Link's Echo, having just pasted the regular bombs and one arrow on the Hero Bow, have the Hookshot or Longshot and just call it a day.

This is also why I think Impa is the only logical Echo character from the Zelda franchise. She's at least her own character. I even wouldn't object if they choose the Ocarina of Time Impa design over Skyward Sword Impa. Even if that's quite unlikely overall... But truth to be told, Ocarina of Time's Impa is probably the direction they are gonna take the Young Impa designs for in upcoming games. Even Hyrule Warriors Impa resembles OOT Impa more than SS Impa, if only slightly.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I have two theories:

1: Making Rock Pikmin is too resource-intensive for an Echo or Sakurai can't figure out how to meaningfully distinct them from Purple Pikmin. Additionally if there is no Rock Pikmin, Sakurai could be unable to envision how to meaningfully differentiate Alph from Olimar.

2: Sakurai made Louie an Olimar Echo instead.
Or, since I'm cynical:

3: Alph had like two votes in the ballot so it didn't cross the dev team's mind to make him take up a roster spot.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Essentially that.

Costume = merely aesthetic differences.
Echo = gameplay differences, even if very slight.
Once again I hold that the main purpose of echoes have nothing to do with gameplay. It's all about the characters personality. Dark Samus would not move the same way Samus would, echo. Daisy would not move the same way Peach would, echo. Alph and the Koopalings would move the same way their counterparts do, so alt costumes. The gameplay differences are just an afterthought

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom