• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Even if Shadow isn’t in the base game I’ll still fight for DLC.

Granted that’s a whole new beast, but I won’t lose heart on the one train I’ve ridden the most this time.

Richter I didn’t know was plausible or else he’d have been on my main set of wants but anyways.

Regardless how this roster ends, it’s still by all means legendary. I don’t think anyone should discredit that regardless of their feelings on certain people getting in or not.

Potato_

Smash Lord
vaanrose vaanrose 's explanation is the best support for the theory I've seen, and does dispute the claim that the art team wouldn't know about the roster.

However it still doesn't solve the fact that we don't know what's on the back of the box, or even the other side. As of this point we are speculating what's on that side. It's speculation that fits well however, I will concede that. They also could end up resizing the images, or the box could even be larger allowing for more room.

I'm going to remain neutral on this for now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regardless how this roster ends, it’s still by all means legendary. I don’t think anyone should discredit that regardless of their feelings on certain people getting in or not.
Roster's trash. PSY isn't oping into battle, 0/10. No PSY, no buy.

:4pacman:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
The original 8 might show up on the back of the box that would be the only way I see getting more than 2 more announcements.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
But isabelle Isn't on the box...
man, I'm so Confuzzled
We only see one side of the box and that one side of the box is missing two spots. One of those spots would be taken up by Isabelle due to the entrance ordering, with one more side still being open for a unique newcomer.

We know with math that there should be one spot still open on the other side of the box following it's order.

That makes 2 characters still left.

The original 8 might show up on the back of the box that would be the only way I see getting more than 2 more announcements.
That's the surprise reveal, we're getting a whole back of the box worth of newcomers, Goku here we come

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if Verg doesn't end up being totally right, it's blatantly clear he has a considerable amount of correct sources and to say he's just been getting lucky up until now is asinine.
He's definitely got info, it's just a matter of seeing if all of it is right. There's a good chance it will be, but I've learned to never put all your eggs in the leaker basket. Skepticism is healthy with these things, IMO.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I want to talk about two characters who, until this theory, were seen as a near guarantee. Shadow and Skull Kid. I think them being missing, or possibly even 'replaced', as Assist Trophies could still imply that they are no-longer in the Assist Trophy pool. However, instead of being playable characters like many thought of them to be, they could end up as a part of the Spirits mode.

The only thing we really know of the Spirits mode is that we'll likely end up facing Rathalos and Dracula as bosses. However, the rest is still up-in-the-air. There could very well be mini-bosses, or boss fighters like that of Metal Mario in Smash 64 that we fight at some point. From there, we'd fight Skull Kid and/or Shadow, who'd fight like a mix between a regular fighter and a boss. If mini-bosses are a thing, than Incineroar could potentially fall into that category as well, though I think that may be stretching it.

Of course, Skull Kid and Shadow could've easily been dropped entirely or just unrevealed as of yet. We've seen Assist Trophies get cut before, after all. No-one filled Isaac's shoes as an Assist Trophy when he wasn't brought back, or Little Mac's shoes once he was promoted.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'm definitely beyond satisfied if this ends up as the final roster.
I mean after all, all the veterans returned and there's been quite a bit of fan requested characters making their way in.
Even before this theory came out, even after E3, I've gone on record saying I'm only expecting no more than six unique characters, so I'm definitely not having high expectations for the amount of newcomers.
This is the best iteration of Smash as of yet, and probably will be for a long time.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
I feel like that may be the case.

With that said...I just now started to believe that Verge MAY be legit. MAY BE. This box thing just seems like a reach. They may not even have all the characters on the sides of the box. They certainly never have before, even when the roster was significantly smaller than it is now. I think we should just stay calm and see what unfolds.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I’m comparing it to a leaker who, at this point, has been spot on. I am also including an educated observation on his behavior with that information. Basically, because Verge was not naming the character and has since seemed to back away, I am starting to believe that he has started to doubt it.
Where are people getting that Vergeben is "backing away" from the SE character? He just said some guy told him who the actual character is, but is unsure of it and doesn't want to release the name until his sources can confirm it (essentially a repeat of the Incineroar situation). His exact quotes on the matter:

"I heard a name from someone recently as to who it might be, but it came from someone claiming to know it along with "confirming" other information that I had heard.
They might just be trying to fool me into believing what they are saying so that I say it to mess with me and try to harm my credibility so I'm not going to say who they claim it is until I get responses back from my sources that point in a direction proving whether or not there is anything to what they are saying.
"

"I really would like to say who the random person said the Square Enix character is. but if it isn't them, I have to deal with a whole other slew of hatred and harassment from people even though I am outright saying I've contacted my people to see if there is anything to what that person is claiming. "

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It actually would be pretty ****ing funny if the box theory turned out to be true. Snake had more of an effect on the game then most people imagined.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time to start thinking about DLC support hashtags. That way, if they announce that Smash Ultimate will be getting downloadable content at any point, you will already know what cause to rally behind right out the gate.

I’m thinking we should use #DeeLC for Bandana Waddle Dee. What about you guys?

...I’m only being half facetious with this post.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I want to talk about two characters who, until this theory, were seen as a near guarantee. Shadow and Skull Kid. I think them being missing, or possibly even 'replaced', as Assist Trophies could still imply that they are no-longer in the Assist Trophy pool. However, instead of being playable characters like many thought of them to be, they could end up as a part of the Spirits mode.

The only thing we really know of the Spirits mode is that we'll likely end up facing Rathalos and Dracula as bosses. However, the rest is still up-in-the-air. There could very well be mini-bosses, or boss fighters like that of Metal Mario in Smash 64 that we fight at some point. From there, we'd fight Skull Kid and/or Shadow, who'd fight like a mix between a regular fighter and a boss. If mini-bosses are a thing, than Incineroar could potentially fall into that category as well, though I think that may be stretching it.

Of course, Skull Kid and Shadow could've easily been dropped entirely or just unrevealed as of yet. We've seen Assist Trophies get cut before, after all. No-one filled Isaac's shoes as an Assist Trophy when he wasn't brought back, or Little Mac's shoes once he was promoted.
I think the comparison of Isaac to Shadow is a imperfect one, Shadow is a pretty significant and iconic, and Skull Kid/Majora's Mask has been getting a lot of mentions from Nintendo lately.

I'd be shocked if Sakurai just dropped them both arbitrarily.

Either they are simply coming back as AT's, or I see them as bosses.

D

Deleted member

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time to start thinking about DLC support hashtags. That way, if they announce that Smash Ultimate will be getting downloadable content at any point, you will already know what cause to rally behind right out the gate.

#OppaSmashBrosStyle

I'm ready. PSY supporters, make your ops heard.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My stance on the box theory:
I'd be okay if there were just two new characters regardless. So box or not, I don't really mind and at this point in the cycle, my desires are more focused on finding out about the rest of the game.

The characters chosen I don't necessarily agree with, but everyone's siding with verg due to his KDR track record, so if Ken and Incineroar were the last ones, then the last characters just aren't my radar anyway, which is even more reason for me to shift gears.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that this all made me feel better about Geno's chances.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Me trying to process that the roster's size may have been leaked by a damn box.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

Please look at the side of the box. People have been discussing it on twitter, but missing the significance of the ordering. Here, forgive my color-coding:

View attachment 164338

I took the liberty of adding Isabelle. Do you see the pattern? Here, let me help:

View attachment 164339

The fighters are in groups of 9, presented exactly the same as on the website and all other promotional materials. (Echoes in order, Miis and PT as single entries) The promotional images used on this box were clearly taken from a source location in which they were in sets/rows of 9.

This means we know what the other 4 sets of 9 looks like:

View attachment 164340

It's all very clean and works perfectly. With two big implications.

There is no room for an echo in any of the first 3 sets of 9. No Dixie, no Shadow, no whatever. It would throw everything off, and make the side of the box we can see look different.

But there is exactly one unaccounted for space in the final set of 9. Somewhere, there is an echo between Palutena and Cloud.

This is the other half of the box:

View attachment 164341

And of course, there is only room for one blank space after Isabelle, so that leaves one new character--possibly the Gen 7 Pokemon Vergeben alluded to.

----------

It's always possible that this is just a box, and the product designers chose to only show off 72 character slots arbitrarily.

But realistically, it looks like this is our roster.
interestly the side where an echo has to be present (assuming this is true) has Sonic, Diddy Kong and Ryu so we got some echo options up in here

I guess its time for #Sora4Smash to come back...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If there are 72 characters total, it makes me wonder why Sakurai could not find the time give all the echos (Like Dark Pit and Lucina) special semi-clone treatment.

Considering Sakurai is built off of Smash 4's game system to get everyone in that game back in Ultimate, if he was only going to add a few, he should have spent the time to distinguish the echos he had.

IDK, it is just something that I find particular odd that gets me skeptical of the box theory. I guess 65+ characters plus all the careful balancing/refining is already hard enough for Sakurai.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm a page late but my PC crashed on me like 10 minutes prior so

Look. I’m sorry if i’ve come across as rude I’m the last few pages. But folks, i’m only trying to make things just a smudge easier. I’m posing a thought out concept of what we could be looking at.
You say "a smudge easier" like it's some proven prophecy that's somehow leading to the inevitable. "What we could be looking at"? We could be looking at literally anything. It's the direct all over again. People left and right saying it's this character or that character and then it ends up being something completely different because people try to pin down what's going to happen to a tee. Unless it's the ESRB leak, by which this is no means comparable to it, nothing is proven and only relies on Gematsu's third cousin for gospel.

I’ve gotten the equivalence if sticking fingers in the ears and saying, “Lalalalalalala I cant hear you!”
I could say the same thing.

It’s a real possibility, based on speculation that has tangible evidence potential suggesting it. There isn’t evidence that suggests more unique or echo fighters beyond that as of right now.

That’s all i’m saying.
Looking at a possibility more than a probability here, chief. No evidence can support any inclusion of any newcomer or the quantity of it, probably because nothing is leaked about how much we're getting. That's kind of given. That's kind of a "no ****" scenario.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Now that Isabelle is in, i'll just post this piece of gold i've watched some time ago:

Villager decided that it was too dangerous to leave Isabelle alone to run his city, so he begged Sakurai to bring her in.

Potato_

Smash Lord
If there are 72 characters total, it makes me wonder why Sakurai could not find the time give all the echos (Like Dark Pit and Lucina) special semi-clone treatment.

Considering Sakurai is built off of Smash 4's game system to get everyone in that game back in Ultimate, if he was only going to add a few, he should have spent the time to distinguish the echos he had.

IDK, it is just something that I find particular odd that gets me skeptical of the box theory. I guess 65+ characters plus all the careful balancing/refining is already hard enough for Sakurai.
If this ends up being true I'm going to assume Spirits mode took up the majority of the time. Which is a bit disappointing but I'll take Spirits mode if it's a full story mode.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Box theory? What's that about?

Please look at the side of the box. People have been discussing it on twitter, but missing the significance of the ordering. Here, forgive my color-coding:

View attachment 164338

I took the liberty of adding Isabelle. Do you see the pattern? Here, let me help:

View attachment 164339

The fighters are in groups of 9, presented exactly the same as on the website and all other promotional materials. (Echoes in order, Miis and PT as single entries) The promotional images used on this box were clearly taken from a source location in which they were in sets/rows of 9.

This means we know what the other 4 sets of 9 looks like:

View attachment 164340

It's all very clean and works perfectly. With two big implications.

There is no room for an echo in any of the first 3 sets of 9. No Dixie, no Shadow, no whatever. It would throw everything off, and make the side of the box we can see look different.

But there is exactly one unaccounted for space in the final set of 9. Somewhere, there is an echo between Palutena and Cloud.

This is the other half of the box:

View attachment 164341

And of course, there is only room for one blank space after Isabelle, so that leaves one new character--possibly the Gen 7 Pokemon Vergeben alluded to.

----------

It's always possible that this is just a box, and the product designers chose to only show off 72 character slots arbitrarily.

But realistically, it looks like this is our roster.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm honestly tuckered out rn about Smash after Isabell. I'm gonna need a good reveal to fuel me back up tbh...

And also news for a new F-Zero

Noipoi

Howdy!
My stance on the box theory:
I'd be okay if there were just two new characters regardless. So box or not, I don't really mind and at this point in the cycle, my desires are more focused on finding out about the rest of the game.

The characters chosen I don't necessarily agree with, but everyone's siding with verg due to his KDR track record, so if Ken and Incineroar were the last ones, then the last characters just aren't my radar anyway, which is even more reason for me to shift gears.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that this all made me feel better about Geno's chances.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.
How does this make you feel better about Geno's chances? No hostility just an honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom