• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Elma, I ain’t even mad, better her to be 69 than Isabelle

I hadn’t even considered that...about the cut veterans that is

Then again I kept my expectations low pre-E3 and they brought LITERALLY EVERYBODY back so the only way to go from here is up I’d think
I'd be stoked to see more than I'm expecting, so hopefully you're right. I'm just pessimistic by nature when it comes to these things, mainly because I've overhyped myself for things in the past. For all I know, Sakurai was being humble and there's ten characters left. Just gotta wait and see. :)

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Ok guys, I want to contribute something meaningful but there isn't anything I can do by quoting. I have to go soon, anyways.

But just a thing I'd like to say though. I really hope that soon with time the Nintendo fans will forget about the Online service like what happened with Sony/Microsoft and move on to another thing to complain.

Right now, Gamefaqs is a mess and wreck due to this. The outrage makes me laugh so hard, and my laughter got stronger when this spread also to Smashfaqs too. lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick shower thought: while characters like Springman, Rex/Pyra, Edelgard, Octoling and maybe Shantae are Hot DLC Picks(TM) right now, I like to think they’ll probably include fan favorite ballot picks as well for DLC that didn’t make it to base. After all, every veteran is here.

If Skull Kid and/or Isaac aren’t on base, I can see them becoming DLC, especially if Golden Sun gets a new game after Ultimate hits.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Still going to disagree. For Goemon's sake. He has made it around the world, but was only really big in Japan.
GO GOEMON GO!!
I need my Kunio-kun! There's only been a couple River City Ransom games over here, but that franchise has, like, 50 games in it in Japan!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think in Smash 4, if you compare it to the content players like Metroid, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Wario, and Star Fox got, it got padded out real nicely. I would love a KIU 2 though.

I hope after Ultimately Sakurai has some time for original games. Whether its something he wants to do, or a reboot.

I think Ice Climbers would be perfect for him. Of the classic Nintendo characters they are the most unique, they're hikers that fight polar bears. He really fleshed out the world of KI well. I think he could do the same for the Ice Climbers.

As for Little Mac, Urban Champion, Sukapon, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Sable, Muddy Mole, they're all awesome characters, but similar ones already exist.
Other than making more Kid Icarus games (or an anime, either works), maybe an unexpected R.O.B game or even a Duck Hunt game could happen

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It could be any combination that adds up to 10, too, like for example, 7 more uniques and 3 more echoes.

My guesses (again lmao):
69. Elma
70. Waddle Dee
71. Heihachi
72. Lloyd
73. Chorus Kids or Isaac
74. Gen 7 Pokémon (either Incineroar or Buzzwole)
75. Square Enix character (hoping it’s Neku if the Dante leak is true)
76. Dante
8 uniques

Echoes:
60e. Ken
11e. Black Shadow
2 echoes

8 uniques + 2 echoes = 10 total. And yes it’s more likely we’ll have more echoes than uniques but lemme dream :c
My Guesses

69 Inicneroar
70 Elma
71 Isaac
72 Bandanna Waddle Dee
73 Chrous Kids
74 Geno
60E Ken
38E Shadow
49E Glass Joe
16E Impa

D

Deleted member

Ok guys, I want to contribute something meaningful but there isn't anything I can do by quoting. I have to go soon, anyways.

But just a thing I'd like to say though. I really hope that soon with time the Nintendo fans will forget about the Online service like what happened with Sony/Microsoft and move on to another thing to complain.

Right now, Gamefaqs is a mess and wreck due to this. The outrage makes me laugh so hard, and my laughter got stronger when this spread also to Smashfaqs too. lol
To enhance your GameFAQs experience, I recommend this song:

It makes browsing there actually entertaining, as the music makes it feel like a parody.

...Until you realize these people seem serious with a lot of the silly things they say. Then the headaches set in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Quick shower thought: while characters like Springman, Rex/Pyra, Edelgard, Octoling and maybe Shantae are Hot DLC Picks(TM) right now, I like to think they’ll probably include fan favorite ballot picks as well for DLC that didn’t make it to base. After all, every veteran is here.

If Skull Kid and/or Isaac aren’t on base, I can see them becoming DLC, especially if Golden Sun gets a new game after Ultimate hits.
Agreed. Personally I'll be dismissing anyone who is still an AT though, so hopefully Skull Kid is missing from the game if he isn't on the base roster.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Tbh I’m super curious who unlucky 69 is going to be more than anything atm.

The jokes will haunt that character for the rest of eternity.
You imply that's unlucky ;)

okay gonna say a super hot take about Skull Kid, but ya'll better prepare:

if it wasn't for loz18's memes at the same time, Skull Kid wouldn't have got as much traction as he is

not that I'm saying he isn't a good idea or anything else, just that I'm not particularly expecting him

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

Quite agreed, but this time around I wish that the Smash DLC are free.

In Smash 4 you had to pay like... 39$ to get everything, or am I wrong? Still, that was asking a bit much.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
What is Smashdown?

I will also humor the theory and do a 10 as well.

1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Pokemon (I know, vague, Eevee would be kinda fun)
4. Skull Kid
5. Bandana Dee

Echoes

1. Shadow
2. Black Shadow
3. Ken
4. Edelgard
5. Bayonetta's rival who I forgot the name of

Not even saying these are my wants, just my predictions

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Definitely. Similar to Sm4sh, DLC picks for this game are mostly going to be popular characters (i.e. ballot picks and third parties) or characters from popular games (i.e. Rex & Pyra, Springman), with the occasional promotion character.
I'm betting now that every character that's placed within the Dengeki Top 10 will be in Smash Bros, whether through the base roster or as DLC. Japanese fan demand is a big deal, and it seems that most, if not every character who's placed has worldwide support. The list of characters is:
The top 5 from the last poll who were excluded (These guys are practically locks as far as I'm concerned):
  • Isaac
  • Sora
  • K. Rool
  • Chrom
  • Arle Nadja
And the top 10 from the most recent poll:
  • Skull Kid
  • Bandana Dee
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Paper Mario
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Magalor
  • Spring Man
  • Geno
  • Dixie Kong.
I'm willing to bet that every character on this list will be in Smash Bros. as a playable character, whether it be in base or as DLC. The demand is clearly there

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I need my Kunio-kun! There's only been a couple River City Ransom games over here, but that franchise has, like, 50 games in it in Japan!
I'm really glad Arc System Works bought that series, they're easy to work with so it removes a lot of headache. Hopefully we get something.

Potato_

Smash Lord

If SK and Isaac aren't on the base roster, I'd imagine they'll become big priority for DLC due to the amount of attention they got recently.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Thinking about Isabelle combos...
Are we going to see a forward or back throw into fishing pole grab 50/50?
Do command grabs count against normal grab invulnerability?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

if it wasn't for loz18's memes at the same time, Skull Kid wouldn't have got as much traction as he is

not that I'm saying he isn't a good idea or anything else, just that I'm not particularly expecting him
Honestly, I imagine that's the case for a lot of characters.
The top most pushed characters definitely wouldn't have gotten their support if they believed that it had no chance of happening.

That's why for the DLC Ballot, practically every single assist trophy received next to zero support because they were already an impossibility. (Well, beside Ridley, but I feel people would've voted for him anyways even if Sakurai held out a sign saying "Ridley Never, lol")

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I agree, Skull Kid has only gotten traction because of Loz18, and the Moon assist.

I say this as someone who loves Majoras Mask, and I would like to be wrong but, I don’t think he has a chance outside of possibly a boss in Spirits.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Why? We want the service to be better. If Nintendo doesn't know that we want the service to be better, it never will be. Now, I agree that complaining amongst ourselves isn't helpful, but we should definitely direct our concern towards Nintendo so they know what problems we have with the service. Anytime you pay for a service, you have a right to voice your grievances. If Nintendo wants people to pay for online services, they have to provide something of benefit. Otherwise, many of us will just move on. If enough of us move on, Nintendo will suffer. It's better if Nintendo understands and addresses our concerns. Then we can all be happy.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It's a new game mode. After every match, the fighters that were previously used are now locked off forcing players to choose a different fighter for every match they play.
Oh I get it. People think that there will be a specific number of characters where continuously playing it will have it end in a 0. What’s the math on that? How many characters does one player get?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Skull Kid discussion would not be a thing without Loz, I think. He definitely popularized the idea.

I'd love it if it happened, but being realistic, it's a longshot. I think any Zelda character at this point is a longshot, unfortunately. :(

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I mean well, maybe Skull Kid’s AT could be cut altogether like Isaac for 4, and Sakurai is surely aware of his popularity. I’m neutral on SK myself, but his fans do deserve to be thrown a bone after the hell Loz put them through.

Plus making SK DLC will practically ENSURE DLC sells above and beyond what it did for 4 and may (imo will) even extend into further seasons cuz like

Imagine if ALL we got for DLC was like, Rex, an ARMS character, Octoling, Edelgard, someone that didn’t have such a GIGANTIC following.

“Oh, Octoling? Why are they making an echo DLC? They could have been base!”
“Spring Man? Ribbon Girl? Twintelle? Never heard of them and I don’t see why I should care”
“ANOTHER Fire Emblem Character?!”
Aaaaaand you can only imagine the sheer SALT over Rex & Pyra

That is...unless you provide an incentive as well, like Skull Kid or Isaac. This way everyone is happy, especially if they’re doing the Seasons based approach a la TEKKEN 7, or if DLC is otherwise more open ended like Dissidia NT.

which given the Switch’s success, both are likely outcomes

It’s all about incentives.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I somewhat agree with this. I think I'd put Dark Samus on top though. This would be my order:
:ultdarksamus::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultrichter:
There's not really a need to declone Richter, because it's literally his moveset. If you're gonna change anyone, change Simon.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Also, for those who doubt Animal Crossing's popularity and question why Isabelle is in Smash at all, New Leaf alone sold 11.78 million units worldwide, and was one of the games that saved the 3DS and helped it survive this long.
I don't think anyone doubted Animal Crossing's popularity. I just knew that this time around Sakurai and his team had to cut corners for certain characters for development reasons. The burden of 70+ characters must be staggering.

So I figured it just makes sense to make anything an echo that can be realized as an echo. For utility reasons. It has nothing to do with who is more successful or popular or whatever. It just has to do with what you can make easily with the limited time you have.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Skull Kid is only a popular choice right now because of Loz18 tbh.

If he didn’t come out of nowhere with that mild credibility that’s gone now. I don’t think anyone would even be considering him.
I could see that. I remember more people wanting Ghirahim or Impa even before Skull Kid's AT reveal.
The assumption is that Sakurai realizes he's popular as when he announced him as an AT for 4 he made a point to say he's not a playable fighter.

If you ask me, I think people are reading too much into it.
I wouldn't. We have to remember Nintendo and Sakurai were blindsided by K. Rool's popularity.
Awesome, then Lana may have a chance at starring in a mainline Zelda game.

I like Linkle, maybe I I was overbroadening what I saw, but I have had countless conversations with Zelda fans that absolutely loathe her.

If no one asked for Skull Kid in Sm4sh, that's because he was confirmed as an assist pretty early on. I for one have been rallying for him since Melee.
She could, or she could be a one-off for the Hyrule Warriors series like Midna is for Twilight Princess.

I never really saw that myself, I saw more hate for Lana due to "not fitting" due to Jpop Idol stylings.

I didn't recall many, if any, asking for him before his reveal as an Assist Trophy either though. It was mostly requests for Ghirahim. I recall him being heavily requested for Hyrule Warriors though.
I'd love to see him though, Majora's Mask is my favorite 3D Gen 1 Zelda (I count BotW as a seperate type of 3D Zelda..a 3D Gen 2 if you will)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh I get it. People think that there will be a specific number of characters where continuously playing it will have it end in a 0. What’s the math on that? How many characters does one player get?
It can be played with any from 2-4 players. There may be a point where there are not enough fighters for players to use, and that argument you've been hearing about is designed to prevent this. However, it does not factor in DLC.

Potato_

Smash Lord

This is considered a hot take now?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically, some of the sports spin-offs that did make it here are part of the series, they simply got relabelled into titles like Crash N The Boys. Luckily things got better by the 3DS era, so we get more RCR installments nowadays.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I disagree. Square Enix has a ton of popular characters that would easily overshadow the salt from the hardcore smash community + I bet there are some Geno fans like me who would be happy with any Square rep (any....).
Personally want a DQ rep even more than I want Geno. And I love Geno as a character, I just think DQ is more important than Super Mario RPG.

Wouldn't say no to, say, Randi[Secret of Mana] or Crono[Chrono Trigger] as assist trophies.

Personally have no interest in Sora, but if Nintendo can use him without having to get Disney involved I could totally see that happening.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

we're friends but you're on my list now koopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom