• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
You think I wasn't mad or bothered when Waluigi was shown as an AT again at E3? I legit want to play as Waluigi in Smash because I legit love the guy, no memes or ****, but I got over it really quick, you know why? Because considering his filler status in every game, he has AT LEAST been an AT in the 3 Smash games that featured ATs. To me, being an AT is like just one step below the playable rank, so for the guy to be in that role, I'm super happy and proud. And let alone Chibi-Robo who luckily will come back as a trophy.
At least you can actually play as Samus and Zero Samus, you know? I hope you understand this.
Genuine thought exercise: Say Waluigi was playable, but he was now the same shape and size as Mario and Luigi. What would you think of that?

Shroob

Sup?
I'd rather have Skull Kid.

Speculation dies with the game's release.

Yeah, Creeper would be 1000000x better. There's no way they'd choose Steve over Minecraft's true mascot.
Speculation dies with the game's release, but it can at least be an enjoyable time instead of **** like "OH GOD SAKURAI HAS 3 BUTTONS ON HIS RIGHT ARM, HALF LIFE 3 CUNFIRMED!!!"

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This isn't negative at all so don't go around hating on said character but.

Who would be the least hype character they could announce at this direct?
I think Incineroar is the universal answer unless you are a Incineroar fan. Most aren't excited about him/expect him at this point.

I do think there's a high chance of a Pokemon newcomer today so I am hoping for Decideueye.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Shadow the Hedgehog. I mean I get it, I just don't like him when there's Eggman right over there.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Gothitelle, but without Gardevoir. People who hated that leak would be upset and people who only liked that leak because it had Gardevoir in it would be upset all around. It'd be a lose-lose for everyone aside from all two Gothitelle fans out there.
Can't believe there are only two cool people in the world

D

Deleted member

Alright so what are we going to do if Skull Kid gets revealed and the background for Sakurai hints at another character? Are we still making fun of the chair theory?
If it happens, I will admit I was wrong and the theory was right, lol.

That said, I'd be surprised if Sakurai showed up at all in this Direct. My guess is that it'll be one character at the end and that's it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don’t think people will think the chair theory is dead after today’s reveal if there is only one new character shown as I believe a lot of people believe the theory that sakurai is showing a hero then villain on rotation. So by that logic the next reveal should be a hero and then the next character will be skull kid.

Long live the chairs!
I feel like the idea behind the theory is very dependant on him being the next reveal, not just because such an incredibly vague hint wouldn't make sense otherwise, but also because people keep bringing up the DKC-esque stuff from the E3 presentation's room. In my eyes it's dead after the Direct whatever happens.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Alright so what are we going to do if Skull Kid gets revealed and the background for Sakurai hints at another character? Are we still making fun of the chair theory?
No, but knowing that we’re onto him, Sakurai will probably have it arranged really vaguely so we’ll have to look really hard and there’ll be a lot of options.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don’t think people will think the chair theory is dead after today’s reveal if there is only one new character shown as I believe a lot of people believe the theory that sakurai is showing a hero then villain on rotation. So by that logic the next reveal should be a hero and then the next character will be skull kid.

Long live the chairs!
I'm not really sure if the heroes vs villains thing is even real or if it's just fan speculation.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
It's telling that Shantae's games are more wholesome than that series, despite having silly bikinis and bouncy mermaids.
Yep. Shantae is fine, the focus of her game isn't her boobs.

Isabelle as a non-echo. She'd kill plenty of people's hype because she isn't a constantly requested character like Ridley and K. Rool, she's pretty much expected to be a Villager echo, and her happy-go-lucky pacifist personality and cutesy appearance wouldn't hype people up.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You think I wasn't mad or bothered when Waluigi was shown as an AT again at E3? I legit want to play as Waluigi in Smash because I legit love the guy, no memes or ****, but I got over it really quick, you know why? Because considering his filler status in every game, he has AT LEAST been an AT in the 3 Smash games that featured ATs. To me, being an AT is like just one step below the playable rank, so for the guy to be in that role, I'm super happy and proud. And let alone Chibi-Robo who luckily will come back as a trophy.
At least you can actually play as Samus and Zero Samus, you know? I hope you understand this.
As a Daisy fan with a Waluigi fan for a little brother, I get it.

I can complain for days about how I did not want Daisy as a Peach clone, but hey. I get to play as the character I wanted to play. It's good to keep it in perspective.

(Also for the record in this conversation, I really don't like ZSS's Smash 4 redesign at all.)

D

Deleted member

Looks like a painted version of his Hyrule Warriors render. Of course it's an iconic pose and everything, but it reeks of lazy faker.
It being painted would make sense, though; it's supposed to be a part of the massive roster poster. At least that's what it looks like. Not that I'm supporting it; just playing devil's advocate

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

NEVER

Brash belongs in Smash, damn it. He is more deserving than most of the Smash roster.
> Implying he is more deserving than Pichu

Like this post if anyone of you find these Brash "jokes" unfunny and annoying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not really sure if the heroes vs villains thing is even real or if it's just fan speculation.
Heroes VS. Villains is definitely fan made. I feel like if it were a thing, it would have specifically been stated by Sakurai by now.

Honestly, a LOT could change in speculation after today. I'm very intrigued (and slightly frightened) to see what happens. It's gonna be a wild ride no matter what.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Admit I was wrong and be surprised honestly.

But more importantly what do we do if we don't see Sakurai in a room? Does it just end there...I hope so. I don't think we will see Sakurai in the direct (it'll probably be one newcomer trailer at the end) so unless we start basing it off the background of whoever announces the trailer (lol) then I think that's the end of "Sakurai the Ikea furniture Riddler".

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gothitelle, but without Gardevoir. People who hated that leak would be upset and people who only liked that leak because it had Gardevoir in it would be upset all around. It'd be a lose-lose for everyone aside from all two Gothitelle fans out there.
Two and a half. I kinda like her. Never considered her a Smash inclusion and still don't, but hell, I'll play her.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
That game's Ridley theme is one of the 3 good things about it, everything else is disgusting trash
Actually I liked that she actually got physical with enemies. Maybe it’s because Smash was my first exposure to the character, but I always found it totally baffling that the 6.3 amazon in a hulking powered battle suit never even so much backhanded a Hornoad until then.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's not entirely wrong, although it's not really the game's "theme" as many describe it. Lots of people complained we didn't get more villains in Smash 4, so now they're including a lot of them are they've become popular characters, it's not unlike Smash 4 getting a lot of female characters after people complained Brawl was severely lacking in that department.

It's just a response to fan demand, not an actual theme imo.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Genuine thought exercise: Say Waluigi was playable, but he was now the same shape and size as Mario and Luigi. What would you think of that?
Well, it would definitely be weird, but at least he's playable you know? Besides Sakurai would make him as accurate as possible.
Also your complains are Zero's boobs being smaller and Samus having the same suit. I can understand you feeling disappointed that Samus wasn't updated to her Returns suit, but Zero's breasts? Come on.. Or is just her body size or definitions? I mean she still looks fine as hell. And either way both are stuff that you can get over with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It just happens that two of the most requested Smash characters are villains.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Heroes VS. Villains is definitely fan made. I feel like if it were a thing, it would have specifically been stated by Sakurai by now.

Honestly, a LOT could change in speculation after today. I'm very intrigued (and slightly frightened) to see what happens. It's gonna be a wild ride no matter what.
The thing is, we still don't know what the green alleged "Spirits" thing is. It could very well have something to do with villains and heroes. We don't know yet.

But if the promotional videos are stripped from the game proper, which makes some sense since, unlike Smash 4, they're all consistent in style, then it's also possible that the heroes vs. villains art used in K. Rool's reveal trailer is from the game as well. At this point, it's more likely that the HvV thing was made solely to build up to K. Rool, but it wouldn't be surprising at all if it were more than that.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Speculation dies with the game's release, but it can at least be an enjoyable time instead of **** like "OH GOD SAKURAI HAS 3 BUTTONS ON HIS RIGHT ARM, HALF LIFE 3 CUNFIRMED!!!"

I swear to God, Karen, if i see ONE more ****ing Half Like 3 joke...
Can't wait for the Ikea Side Table theory.
Will tag you if this happens tonight

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I won’t buy the chair theory until Sakurai comes out and says “lol didja notice the chairs?”

But if he’s doing a Skull Kid announcement in a room with a classic viking helmet on his desk...

Vault Boy? The Dovahkiin? Pfft. There's only one Bethesda character that we need:

(Okay, the Dovahkiin could be interesting, even if I haven't played much of Skyrim, but they didn't even mention Doomguy)

Seriously, anything that gets me closer to seeing DovahKirby squeak out a “FUS RO DAH” would be amazing.

...please Dovahkiin... please :sadeyes:

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
I liked his post instead just to spite you
Same.

I want Dixie Kong and Skull Kid. Isaac I would be okay with, just because he looks cool. Anything else will bore me just bc I haven't played any of the games that the rumored newcomers are from.

Edit: and Incineroar annoys tf out of me. The mermaid seal thingie would be much more interesting.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Speculation dies with the game's release.
You seem to have forgotten about DLC.

Considering Cloud was completely out of left field, get ready for every person's favorite thing, regardless of how unlikely, to be speculated in some way after the game releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom