• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Topic: Pretend that Sakurai wants to focus on adding iconic Western third-parties in Smash Ultimate DLC. He can only choose 10 of them. Who do you include?
Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, Ratchet and Clank, Crash, Doomguy, Dovahkiin, Tracer, Zero from Borderlands, Commander Shepard, Scorpion
Coming up with these was harder than I imagined

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Also if we're getting a Bethesda character, you guys are missing the obvious choice.

"Todd Howard's moveset revolves around throwing copies of Skyrim at opponents, because he wants to give it to them. The Switch versions have the farthest throw distance while being the weakest damage. The Xbox copies are the middle ground and the Playstation copies don't travel far but do huge damage. We did consult with Microsoft and Sony before creating this character, but thankfully they did give us the go ahead to create this expensive character."

D

Deleted member

> Color Trash songs are inevitable
I thought Color Splash was fine. Really wouldn't mind see something from it, actually. :ohwell:

Oh well, to each their own.

If it's going to make people complain less about the online services, I'm all for it.
Only thing that bugs me about it is having to pay for P2P and Splatoon 2 not getting save backups. I am interesting in their new ideas for tying VC into it, but it's only NES games for right now, unfortunately.

TBH I don't like Microsoft's or Sony's experiences either. We really shouldn't have to pay for the online IMO.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, that was an...interesting turn for the thread.

*Ahem* Moving on, how would people feel if a demo was announced to coincide with the Online Service launching? I know this topic was brought up a bit yesterday, but I didn't see it discussed all that much.
I spent FAR too much time on the Gears of War 3 beta and Mass Effect 3 beta. Looking back, I have no idea why I let myself get addicted to a preview of a game in which no progress would carry over whatsoever.

Might as well do it again for Smash.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Yeah well it bothers me. It bothers me a lot. :( More Farfetch’d leek joke posts sir? ;)
I understand, but unless Sakurai chose to update her model there's nothing you or we can do, so you better get over it.

How would you feel if someone was constantly in your face telling you how cool is his car or how terrible was a movie he was excited to watch? Annoyed and uncomfortable right? There you go.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought Color Splash was fine. Really wouldn't mind see something from it, actually. :ohwell:

I own the game, but I still haven't played it. I reeeeeeeeally didn't like Sticker Star, but bought the Wii U game just because... I dunno. I felt obligated?

I really need to get on that.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Only thing that bugs me about it is having to pay for P2P and Splatoon 2 not getting save backups. I am interesting in their new ideas for tying VC into it, but it's only NES games for right now, unfortunately.

TBH I don't like Microsoft's or Sony's experiences either. We really shouldn't have to pay for the online IMO.
Realistically, you have to pay for a good service. Quality internet connection isn't free. There is room for improvement, though.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Topic: Pretend that Sakurai wants to focus on adding iconic Western third-parties in Smash Ultimate DLC. He can only choose 10 of them. Who do you include?
Master Chief
Doom Slayer
Dragonborn
Scorpion
Crash Bandicoot
Ezio Auditore
Rayman
Fulgore
Spyro
Tracer

If Lara Croft counts because she was made by a western studio (Eidos way before they merged with SE) then replace Fulgore with her.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Realistically, you have to pay for a good service. Quality internet connection isn't free. There is room for improvement, though.
As much as I want to be optimistic about it, I can't help but feel that it won't actually improve. I'd like to be wrong about that.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Well, that was an...interesting turn for the thread.

*Ahem* Moving on, how would people feel if a demo was announced to coincide with the Online Service launching? I know this topic was brought up a bit yesterday, but I didn't see it discussed all that much.
I'd be quite alright with that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My stage choices
:ultbayonetta:Umbra Clock Tower
:ultbowser:A proper Bowser's Castle
:ultbowserjr:An Airship stage with cannons and fire traps
:ultfalcon:Big Blue
:ultcloud:Midgar
:ultcorrin:Decisive Field, where Corrin has to make their choice. Hoshido siblings attack from the left and Nohrian from the right
:ultdiddy:Jungle Japes
:ultdk:75m
:ultdoc:A Dr Mario stage where the pills can be smacked around, changing the terrain
:ultduckhunt:Duck Hunt
:ultfalco:Lylat Cruise
:ultfox:Sector Z
:ultganondorf:Gerudo Valley
:ultgreninja:Kalos Pokemon League
:ulticeclimbers:Summit
:ultike:Castle Seige
:ultinkling:Moray Towers
:ultjigglypuff:Saffron City
:ultkingdedede:Fountain of Dreams
:ultkrool:A Gangplank Galleon stage
:ultkirby:Green Greens Melee
:ultlink:Bridge of Eldin
:ultlittlemac:Boxing Ring
:ultlucario:Spear Pillar
:ultlucas:Onett
:ultluigi:Luigi's Mansion
:ultmario:New Donk City
:ultmarth:Archania, a stage where enemy soldiers attack, including evil manaketes and mages!
:ultlucina:Arena Ferox
:ultmegaman:Wily's Castle
:ultmetaknight:Halber
:ultmewtwo:A Cerulean Cave stage
:ultmiifighters:Find Mii
:ultgnw:Flat Zone 2
:ultness:Fourside
:ultolimar:Distant Planet
:ultpacman:Pac-Maze
:ultpalutena:Palutena's Temple
:ultpeach:Peach's Castle Melee
:ultdaisy:Isle Delfino
:ultpichu:Pokemon Stadium 2
:ultpikachu:Pokemon Stadium
:ultpit:Reset Bomb Forest
:ultdarkpit:Skyworld
:ultpokemontrainer:N's Castle
:ultridley:Norfair
:ultrob:Gyromite, a stage which can 'lock' you off of certain parts in the stage randomly
:ultrobinGrima, a gorgeous, atmospheric sunset on the Fell Dragon's back
:ultrosalina:Mario Galaxy
:ultroy:Coliseum
:ultchrom:That place you fight Walhart at, he's a stage hazard
:ultryu:Suzaku Castle
:ultsamus:Brinstar Depths
:ultdarksamus:Aether, the stage occasionally transitions to Dark Aether and back, if you're out of the 'safe' zones then you constantly take damage
:ultsheik: Temple
:ultshulk:Gaur Plain
:ultsimon:Dracula's Castle
:ultrichter:Clock Tower, a stage with some gear platforms and those ****ing Medusa Heads spawn occasionally. Also 3 Axe Armours
:ultsnake:Shadow Moses
:ultsonic:Green Hill
:ulttoonlink:Pirate Ship
:ultvillager:Town and City
:ultwario:Gamer
:ultwiifittrainer:Wii Fit
:ultwolf:Venom
:ultyoshi:Yoshi's Island Melee
:ultyounglink:Great Bay
:ultzelda:Hyrule Castle
:ultzss:Space Pirate Hideout, a dark stage where if the searchlights spot you, Space Pirates rush in to attack

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I've seen people saying "oh its only 20 dollars or whatever currency it is for you" is an absolutely ridiculous reason to give it a pass for a paid online service.

Why should we trust in Nintendo when the bloody Xbox 360 has better Online features than the Switch?

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Also if we're getting a Bethesda character, you guys are missing the obvious choice.

"Todd Howard's moveset revolves around throwing copies of Skyrim at opponents, because he wants to give it to them. The Switch versions have the farthest throw distance while being the weakest damage. The Xbox copies are the middle ground and the Playstation copies don't travel far but do huge damage. We did consult with Microsoft and Sony before creating this character, but thankfully they did give us the go ahead to create this expensive character."
Todd Howard's Final Smash is converting the engine into Skyrim's engine.

D

Deleted member

I own the game, but I still haven't played it. I reeeeeeeeally didn't like Sticker Star, but bought the Wii U game just because... I dunno. I felt obligated?

I really need to get on that.
It's no SPM and it's CERTAINLY no TTYD, but it's still a really good game and I would definitely recommend it. Only problems I had with it were the lack in NPC variety and the battle system feeling like a chore sometimes, but for the most part I had a really fun time with it. The writing especially is very good, and is near TTYD level with it's humor.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I understand, but unless Sakurai chose to update her model there's nothing you or we can do, so you better get over it.

How would you feel if someone was constantly in your face telling you how cool is his car or how terrible was a movie he was excited to watch? Annoyed and uncomfortable right? There you go.
Party pooper. :(

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've seen people saying "oh its only 20 dollars or whatever currency it is for you" is an absolutely ridiculous reason to give it a pass for a paid online service.
To be fair most of the people who are like this have only played Nintendo consoles and refuse to play anything else.

Although to give it some credit 20$ is pretty cheap.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Why should we trust in Nintendo when the bloody Xbox 360 has better Online features than the Switch?
I'm not giving it a pass when I say I'm okay with it,
Just saying it won't be a problem to me cause i have to get it anyway lmao I intend on playing games online and there's nothing I can do to avoid having to get it.
Getting an aneurysm over it isn't gonna do me good especially when I'm swapping my PSplus subscription for it.
:4pacman:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Banjo Kazooie
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Joanna Dark
Doomguy
Scorpion
Lara Croft
Sarah Kerrigan
Master Chief

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
:ultdarksamus:Aether, the stage occasionally transitions to Dark Aether and back, if you're out of the 'safe' zones then you constantly take damage
That is a FANTASTIC idea

Because $20 isn't worth losing sleep over? Like, make a PB&J sandwich one day instead of eating out, and your online service is paid for a year?

D

Deleted member

I can't even come up with 10 since I play mostly JRPGs. I guess here's what I'd go with:
1) Shantae
2) Ratchet & Clank
3) Jak & Daxter
4) Fallout avatar in a Power Suit (so it wouldn't matter what they look like since the suit covers their face and everything)
5) Junkrat

...I think that's it, really. At least what i would want. I don't want something from Halo or Minecraft, so the list of people I'd choose is small. Heck, 'Shantae' is pushing it since she can't really be considered 'iconic' and while Overwatch is popular, it hasn't really reached 'icon' status yet. I guess there's Kratos, but...meh.

Most of my adds given full control would be more RPG characters from different franchises; like a rep from Disgaea, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, Persona, and one more from Final Fantasy. I don't think I've played enough 'Western' games to care.

That is a FANTASTIC idea

Because $20 isn't worth losing sleep over? Like, make a PB&J sandwich one day instead of eating out, and your online service is paid for a year?
Where are you going for your PB & J's that they cost $20; the High Roller's section of Caesar's Palace?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Normally I'd agree, but most online games on PC let you play on their servers for free after purchasing the game so I dunno. I hope things will eventually improve, but right now it pretty much is just paying for P2P, which isn't something you can improve.

Realistically, though, I'm not gonna make too much of a fuss about it. I really have no right to complain, as I'm paying for it anyway. I wanna keep playing Splatoon, lol. :p

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gah, ten's too hard.

I'm just gonna throw my favorite character out there and let everyone tell me I'm wrong.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't change the point of paying for a subpar Online service at all.

You can like the service and don't mind paying for it but it's bull**** when people say this. The only reason Nintendo is doing this isn't to help support the Online for the console at all its just for the green buck. Watch Smash Online be ass again

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Where are you going for your PB & J's that they cost $20; the High Roller's section of Caesar's Palace?
That's my point. You can make a PB&J with like $2 worth of ingredients instead of spending the $10-20 eating fast food usually entails, thereby saving money.

Granted, a PB&J worth $20 sounds like something I'd want to try :)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'd like for Zero Suit Samus to have her military and civilian outfits from Metroid: Other M as alternate costumes.

(you can click on the images to see them better)

Edit: not sure why they're not showing up in the post, here are some direct links:
Military: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ngsamus.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150704032654
Civilian: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...y_Dress.png/revision/latest?cb=20110219195733

Yeah I don't like Metroid: Other M either, but I like these outfits for Samus, since it's very rare that we ever see her in anything that isn't her Power Suit or the Zero Suit / underwear that she wears in most games. They wouldn't clash with Zero Suit Samus' moveset either, just stick the jet boots on them and she's more or less good to go.

Last edited:

Xeno324

Smash Rookie

You can like the service and don't mind paying for it but it's bull**** when people say this. The only reason Nintendo is doing this isn't to help support the Online for the console at all its just for the green buck. Watch Smash Online be *** again
I hope that they fix the crappy lag that I experienced on the 3ds

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Duke Nukem, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Rayman, Earthworm Jim, Lara Croft, Banjo-Kazooie, Rash from the Battletoads, Sub-Zero and finally, the WTF character,
Guybrush Threepwood

You can like the service and don't mind paying for it but it's bull**** when people say this. The only reason Nintendo is doing this isn't to help support the Online for the console at all its just for the green buck. Watch Smash Online be *** again
I seldom played with other people even before the advent of online, so it wouldn't make much of a difference to me.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

For me it breaks down to:
  1. We don't have all the details for the service yet (4.5 hours to go)
  2. Free online with a console is a luxury in this day and age, and we were able to enjoy it while it lasted
  3. I want to play Smash online from time to time, and that's worth $1.60 a month for me

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, this is a good topic. Still, I only need one.

Not in any particular order...

1. Dovahkiin
The Elder Scrolls series is one of the biggest names in open-world RPGs, and Skyrim is still hugely iconic - just look at how many people recognize the helmet on sight, or how many memes the guards generated. Also, it’s one of the few western games to get a 40/40 on Famitsu. He may be an avatar, but he’s got a relatively consistent appearance in the marketing, and there’s loads of great moveset potential.​
2. Doomguy
Doom is pretty well the original FPS, which is a genre not represented in Smash at all. It’d be easy enough to pull a Snake and gove him mostly explosives or supernatural weapons to avoid most of the problems there.​
3. Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo seems like a forgotten Nintendo character, but their games were N64 exclusive. Add to that his high nostalgia value among Smash players, and the Bear and Bird seem like good favored choices.​
4. Master Chief
While MC is XBox’s only exclusive, the Halo franchise is one of the most well known FOs games. There seemingly is a lot of thematic overlap with Samus and Doomguy, but adding Master Chief to represent Microsoft would be a huge internet-breaking event like adding Cloud back in For.​
5. Steve
I know, loads of people think he’s disgusting, but there’s no denying that Minecraft is popular, and the blank-faced blockhead is on every other kid’s t-shirt nowadays. You don’t really get more of a modern icon than this.​
6. Spyro
For once, Nintendo wasn’t the first to come up with a game device. Skylanders made the whole ‘toys-to-life’ a thing, which amiibo shows is still going strong. Again, Spyro’s pretty well a Sony exclusive, which would show Nintendo’s deal-making dominance.​
7. Scorpion
While Japan may not be big on Mortal Kombat, that franchise is definitely big in the states as the franchise that made the ESRB a thing. Plus how many games have a 90’s dance song? Scorpion is unquestionably the most iconic member of the cast.​
8. Lara Croft
The first lady of gaming is British originally, but is now owned by Square Enix. Another cultural icon, she’s showed that women in games can be just as badass as men, and also has several films to her name.​
9. Ezio
Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed series has definitely struck a chord with history buffs, and the most populat character was the main character of AC2 - so populat that he got two sequels of his own. He also managed a crossover in Soul Calibur 5, as rushed a game as that was.​
10. Rayman
Not every western character is realistic, and Rayman’s been really friendly with Nontendo lately with the Rabbids series. Plus, he’s quite well known in Europe, as the world is more than just Japan and the USA.​
Honorable Mention: Shepard
Mass Effect is one of Bioware’s best known RPGs, but he’d have a lot of thematic overlap with the other soldier/spaceman characters above and already in the game. Still, a higely connected world is an amazing concept...assuming you don’t just cop out and give everyone the same ending with a different coat of paint.​

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

As others said because at the end of the day less than $2 a month is an insignificant amount of money.

If that's too much for you then just don't play online. It's their online service and if they want to charge there's nothing else you can do really. I'd be right there complaining with you if it was anywhere close to $50 a year or more, but seriously less than $2 a month is nothing.

Edit: I saw that you already responded to a simialr comment. I just stand by my point that for me, I can afford $1.60 a month for an online service that will also include VC games. This is also because I honestly haven't bought many VC games in the past so anything they offer me I probably don't own.

It's totally a perspective thing I get that. I'm in a position in my life where I don't need to complain about spending $2 a month for Nintendo's online that we don't even know about yet. I already spend $10 a month on Spotify and barely listen to music lol.
That wasn't their point lol. They were saying instead of getting a $20 meal somewhere (very easy to do) eat something at home and boom you've made up for the service.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Say what you want about Color Splash, at least it isn't Yoshi's New Island.

I hate both of those Paper Mario games with every fiber of my body, but at least they (well, Color Splash at least) had some quality graphics, good music tracks, and witty writing. New Island is unsalvageable.

inb4 Zinith Zinith comes in and throws **** at me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom