• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I find funny that if you search Smash Bros in google, the website's title still says (title pending) lmao.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
90 minutes until reannouncement presumably. If nothing comes today I think people will legit get angry.
not really as the Direct was announced at 7am JP time and it currently 9:35pm Right now over there. If the direct is gonna be on the same as before they will probably announce it the same time

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Even though Sonic appears on all systems, he feels like a Nintendo character now. Maybe its because he has more exclusives on Nintendo (though even that may be false), but he just feels Nintendo, so even though he is 3rd Party, it feels kinda weird to consider him as such.
I think that's how I feel too. Sonic and Mario share a lot of similarities, but my personal experience with Sonic gives me that nostalgia factor.

And I realise that everyone has different experiences with video games, and to some people Mega Man, Street Fighter or even Bayonetta have the same emotional responce as Sonic does for me.

Would just be cool to see Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman vs. Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Bowser one day.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I get the feeling that the hazard toggle isn't "comprehensive" in the sense that stages like that, where you get damaged by the terrain because the fighting platform is implied to be moving quickly or something, probably won't have that turned off.
I don't think turning hazards off will park the train, I mean.

Why? Just relax. It's not really a big enough deal to get angry about lol.
Is it cause everyone's putting their eggs in the Thursday basket? While it's likely, it's never confirmed and everyone's going off of "signs" that they think point to it. Fair enough, but not really something to be shocked about or mad about if it doesn't happen I think.

I want the date as much as the next guy but I mean this is not something that is worth getting actually angry about lmao
The amount of ridiculously overpowered items and intricate and deadly stages killed Sm4sh for me before most of the DLC even came out, I’m really worried that Ultimate is gonna be the same.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If nothing comes today, what are the chances they decide to merge it with a Smash focused direct for later in the month as an hour-long direct instead of the traditional 30 min one?
It's very very unlikely we'll see a Smash Direct in any form this month, and an hour long presentation isn't really a good thing either as you can only hold people's attention for so long.

I'll be shocked if we don't hear anything today, if that happens I'm really not sure when to expect it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think people would have gone a little less crazy if Nintendo just gave a date. Even if they said it was going to be next week or even the end of the month, people would be disappointed but atleast they wouldn't be eating each other alive with anticipation.

Nintendo has the right to delay as long as they want with the Direct but atleast give a date.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
not really as the Direct was announced at 7am JP time and it currently 9:35pm Right now over there. If the direct is gonna be on the same as before they will probably announce it the same time
Look, I know when it got announced last week and it was in 80 minutes from now. 16:00 pm where I live.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Not particularly. Despite the fact that I'm willing to give Nuts and Bolts a better first impression than most people would, I think it doesn't even come into the realm of ... well... fun and charm as Kazooie and Tooie had.

However, honorable mention is that Rare Replay Banjo Kazooie is the superior version, ironically, because they took out some of the gameplay limitations that were in place due to memory limitations when they were programming the game.
Does Rare Replay have the original Conker’s Bad Fur Day with the multiplayer modes?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The amount of ridiculously overpowered items and intricate and deadly stages killed Sm4sh for me before most of the DLC even came out, I’m really worried that Ultimate is gonna be the same.
Well it's a good thing there's a specific item toggle menu and the hazard toggle then... while the hazard toggle may not be super comprehensive, it'll still take out some of the more ridiculous stage hazards like the stage bosses.

We don't talk about Great Cave Offensive.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Even though Sonic appears on all systems, he feels like a Nintendo character now. Maybe its because he has more exclusives on Nintendo (though even that may be false), but he just feels Nintendo, so even though he is 3rd Party, it feels kinda weird to consider him as such.
Sonic definitely tastes that sweet sweet Nintendo nectar. I mean there’s the Mario & Sonic series which spawned 5 games.

Sonic Lost World has those Nintendo DLC stages.

Even the folks over at Source Gaming refers to him as “pseudo Nintendo”.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know there's an item toggle, right?

And you're not forced to play on every stage.

You know that, right?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here is the order in which I am excited to try out the newcomers:

Very excited
1. :ultinkling:
2. :ultkrool:

Excited
3. :ultdarksamus:
4. :ultmarth:

Mildly interested
5. :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
6. :ultridley:

I mean, I'll at least beat Classic Mode with her...
7. :ultdaisy:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Well it's a good thing there's a specific item toggle menu and the hazard toggle then... while the hazard toggle may not be super comprehensive, it'll still take out some of the more ridiculous stage hazards like the stage bosses.

We don't talk about Great Cave Offensive.
Yeah, but classic mode and stuff... :(

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, but classic mode and stuff... :(
Didn't think about it, mostly because I kinda go into those kinds of modes knowing that I'm gonna probably be pulling off some item bull**** so

I think using items in Classic is actually kinda fun. I'm not going against my friends or anyone, I'm bullying a CPU and so I'll gladly Abra them into a black hole into a launch star into a stage spike.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
It is the original Conker's, yes.
Awesome I had way more fun with that back in the day, I could never get very far in the single player because it was so... esoteric. At the time it felt like I literally had to relearn the game from scratch in every new area. But playing multiplayer with bots was fun.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's very very unlikely we'll see a Smash Direct in any form this month, and an hour long presentation isn't really a good thing either as you can only hold people's attention for so long.

I'll be shocked if we don't hear anything today, if that happens I'm really not sure when to expect it.
I get that that's regualr advertising 101, but I don't think any Nintendo fan would be upset by an hour long direct lol.

Not gunna happen though, specifically having another smash direct a month after the last. But then again I didn't think we'd get one in August...
Look, I know when it got announced last week and it was in 80 minutes from now. 16:00 pm where I live.
10 am EST/7 am PST and about 11 pm JST.... Do people not know this? NOA almost always announces general directs at 10 am EST / 7 am PST

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Bad Box Art Venus of the Desert Bloom?
I wish. That means I have an arm cannon or a laser pistol. I’ll be as flabby, pasty, and old as they want me to be if it means I can have those.

Honestly though, I’m fat here in Japan but moderately fit in the States. My doctor says I have the physique of a 65 year old couch potato and my mom accuses my wife of starving me to death because she thinks I’m “skinny as a twig”.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Awesome I had way more fun with that back in the day, I could never get very far in the single player because it was so... esoteric. At the time it felt like I literally had to relearn the game from scratch in every new area. But playing multiplayer with bots was fun.
Yeah. The areas can be vastly different. I liked the game, though.

I really liked the music.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Didn't think about it, mostly because I kinda go into those kinds of modes knowing that I'm gonna probably be pulling off some item bull**** so

I think using items in Classic is actually kinda fun. I'm not going against my friends or anyone, I'm bullying a CPU and so I'll gladly Abra them into a black hole into a launch star into a stage spike.
I was always the one getting bullied. With the two lives per stage and the Kid Icarus Uprising intensity setup punishing you heavily, it was just frustrating. :(

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm just saying in hindsight another last minute announcement for the Direct date and time wasn't such a good idea. It worked when the Direct was a surprise. But when we know it's coming, just tell us when it's coming.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Lmao did you really just say dedicated servers will give us more lag than p2p and there's nothing Nintendo can do?
Which is quicker, taking one direct route somewhere with no stops, or a route where you first have to make one stop before heading to the same destination.

P2p, direct route.
Servers, route with the stop.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Very excited
1. :ultinkling:
2. :ultkrool:

Excited
3. :ultdarksamus:
4. :ultmarth:

Mildly interested
5. :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
6. :ultridley:

I mean, I'll at least beat Classic Mode with her...
7. :ultdaisy:
It amuses me no end that people keep getting Chrom confused with other blue haired Fire Emblem characters.

Marth here, saw someone talking about Chrom accidentally putting Ike this week too. We just need Lucina to complete the set.

Bonus points for when someone gets Chrom and Roy confused due to being his echo down the line.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Giddy as a schoolgirl on her first prom night after waiting almost twenty years for that magical night to come
1. :ultridley:

Super stoked
2. :ultdarksamus:

Excitingly excited
3. :ultkrool:
4. :ultinkling:

Cool story, brah
5. :ultsimon:

Meh
6. :ultchrom:

Classic/All-Star only
7. :ultrichter: