• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Quite frankly I actually look forward to playing FG Bayonetta, because they almost all have no idea what they're doing and no game plan against anyone who is happy to camp.
I always find people in Japan coz I'm in the area so unfortunately they're quite good with her

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
For those asking about the Memories posts:
  • The first one was posted alongside Daisy's character overview trailer on June 15, after Inkling and Ridley's videos were posted to the Blog.
  • No Memory posts have been shared separately from the respective character overview trailer.
  • While many characters receive Memory posts, including some Assist Trophies such as Bomberman and Sukapon, not all characters do, with the only discernible pattern being that of the characters who debuted in the past 12 years, only Dark Pit has received a Memory post so far (with many not having their character overview videos posted yet, either).
  • Most Memories are about the game the character(s) debuted in, though there are some exceptions, such as Pokémon Stadium for Pokémon Trainer and WarioWare Gold for Wario (posted on the day of its release).
Aside from these facts, of particular interest is that Inkling, Ridley, and Chrom did not receive Memory posts, while Daisy, Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, and K. Rool did. Based on this, we can reasonably presume that most new fighters will receive Memory posts alongside their character overview videos. On the more speculative side, it is possible that the vast majority of characters from 2006 or later will not receive a Memory post unless perhaps they have a new game release to promote as with the WarioWare Gold "Memory" post.
Also, I think it's safe to say Ridley did not receive a Memory Blog post because Sakurai has no good memories related to Ridley, only over a decade's worth that he wishes to forget.

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I imagine, yeah, it probably is poison since Rathalos poisons Hunters using its claws. I imagine it will probably act like flames in the game and do some residual damage, although as you said it could potentially be a temporary debuff.
can't wait for the new pokemon rep

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So today's blog was music AND a stage huh? I guess it was to replace the blank day. Let's hope that today they finally reannounce the damn thing.
Tuesday nights always have music and one other update. This is typical.
  • While many characters receive Memory posts, including some Assist Trophies such as Bomberman and Sukapon, not all characters do, with the only discernible pattern being that no character who debuted in the past 12 years has received a Memory post so far (with many not having their character overview videos posted yet, either).
Dark Pit received a Memory post.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai will put in a newcomer

But it has to be a character that starts with the letter of your first name. Who is it?

My name starts with Q so I'm screwed. Q from Street Fighter or the F-Zero one I guess
>Klonoa
Wahoo!
Aww... thanks! :4duckhunt:

Wish me luck! Meowth really needs it. :052:
Good luck, and here's to hoping Yellow's Team Rocket can get in to serve as a trojan horse.

So anything yet ?
Outside of the Splatoon event confirmed to be tied to Animal Crossing, still bupkis.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Q
Better servers
Isn’t smash’s online p2p? so pretty sure Nintendo’s servers don’t do much once you’re connected to an opponent. Basically it’s all on you or the opponent’s connection if there’s lag.
At this point the only thing they can start doing is locking people out of getting online at all if their connection doesn’t meet a certain speed.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If you're adept with all three Pokémon, which I've stated numerous times if you're going to main PT you should be at the very least, then it should be a go to escape option in terms of no longer having any defensive options or if your opponent is giving you trouble with the current one you have out. Just because you're running a character that's out, doesn't necessarily mean that the next Pokémon you switch into will automatically have you at a disadvantage or into a "worse" character.
If you're somehow equally good with all three pokemon, you should be using the one that's best at the matchup you're doing, which even if this game is balanced enough to where every character is viable, there is still going to be advantageous and disadvantageous matchups across the board. By switching you are changing to a character worse for the matchup while being in disadvantage, so not only do you need to escape disadvantage with a worse character, but then have to win neutral enough with this worse character to do the two changes back to the optimal pokemon.

Sure, it's not exactly a foolproof or necessarily safe option 100% of the time, not much in this game really is after all, but it could allow for some potential mix-ups or ability to trade off some damge or to create some distance between you and your opponent.
What distance? Pokemon Change itself doesn't move you at all, and if you get punished and knocked back out you're back in the same position as before, but even worse as you're more damaged and are playing a worse pokemon.

Like others have said, at the end of the day this is all theoretical and we won't truly know until we have the game in front of us. So I definitely wouldn't go off of potential viability given we'll never know until the competitive metagame fully forms and people discover things surrounding the game.
However, going off observations we can make from what's readily available or showcased, it allows for more potential pros than it does cons.
It has more "pros than cons" when you ignore the cons with it and the ramifications of switching to a suboptimal character in disadvantage.

I've noticed your biggest criticism of the character is them being apart of a transformation and having a missing down special and you're harping on the idea that you can't play PT optimally with all three characters. (It's possible, look at how different top level players are able to have multiple mains and secondaries and are able to use them on a competitive field.)
You should observe some actual results then, just how many top players are there that play three or more different characters at a near-equivalent level that consistently win against equivalent competition? In Smash 4 it's pretty much just MKLeo and Tweek, and two of those characters for them are the notoriously overpowered Cloud and Bayonetta, and Tweek's third character, DK, has been fading pretty hard as of late. Additionally observe the poor success rate of players trying different characters from their established main (when such a character does work it usually doesn't work on the same person more than once), and how even with Smash 4's so-called "counterpick meta" where people switched to other characters to get a matchup advantage, they failed a lot more often than not despite the matchup advantage. If being able to train up so many characters regardless of natural aptitude to an equivalent high level was so feasible, then it should have been the norm in Smash 4's competitive play instead of the vast majority of high level players having 90+% of their success driven by a single character or two, and counterpicking should have actually worked a lot more often than it did. And remember this is with the players being able to choose who they play from the entire pool of characters, not being restricted to a preset group of characters.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Q

Isn’t smash’s online p2p? so pretty sure Nintendo’s servers don’t do much once you’re connected to an opponent. Basically it’s all on you or the opponent’s connection if there’s lag.
At this point the only thing they can start doing is locking people out of getting online at all if their connection doesn’t meet a certain speed.
Smash 4's online is p2p but it's free so that's understandable.

I'm paying for the switch servers if they're p2p what would I be paying for?

100 percent people should expect dedicated smash servers In 4 player smash p2p just doesn't cut it

link2702

Smash Champion
Smash 4's online is p2p but it's free so that's understandable.

I'm paying for the switch servers if they're p2p what would I be paying for?

100 percent people should expect dedicated smash servers In 4 player smash p2p just doesn't cut it
A server would give you more lag. You’re adding an extra process for the data to deal with.

P2p means you’re being connected directly to your opponents system.

Again not really much else nintendo could do except start directly denying players the ability to get online if their connection isn’t good enough.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The more and more I've thought about it the more I could see Raiden as a Snake Echo, I feel it would fit but at the same time I'm highly skeptical.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Add Battlefield forms to the mix.
I always thought Final Destination was inferior to Battlefield for competitive games, a completely flat plain heavily favours projectile users/zoners. Unless of course I’m missing something I don’t understand why FD was the one that caught on.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I'M picking Richter over Simon, but it's because I like his character and the games he was in better...
I honestly don’t understand why Richter isn’t the main one, the prologue of Symphony is pretty much Castlevania’s primary contribution to video game culture.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Its a shame would of love Lyn as a fighter would have even accepted her being an echo fighter but we wait for another smash game sadly
View attachment 163486
You know what the worst part about all this is? She's not the main character of Blazing Blade, Elliwood is. And we all know how lords typically get picked in Smash over everyone else. :ohwell:

Shantae is lucky, cause Boshi can't even claim that position :crying:
On the other hand, you're usually not caught in this thread's "character supporter hunting seasons". so that's one net positive of having a oddly specific want.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t understand why Richter isn’t the main one, the prologue of Symphony is pretty much Castlevania’s primary contribution to video game culture.
Because Simon Belmont is far more famous and iconic to the point even if I never picked up a Castlevania game I could tell you who Simon was whilst most people even here didn't know who Richter was when he showed up.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Because Simon Belmont is far more famous and iconic to the point even if I never picked up a Castlevania game I could tell you who Simon was whilst most people even here didn't know who Richter was when he showed up.
But how? That confrontation with Dracula in the prologue of Symphony is one of the most famous scenes in video games, I could probably recite it word for word even though I’ve never played Symphony once.

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
The more and more I've thought about it the more I could see Raiden as a Snake Echo, I feel it would fit but at the same time I'm highly skeptical.
If the signature isn't enough of a tip off, I'm praying for this as well. MGS2 is my second favourite MGS game after Peace Walker and getting to see the superior Raiden get in would be fantastic.

I'd rather want Big Boss as an echo and perhaps a unique cyborg Raiden as potential dlc.
No chance. Big Boss's most recognisable costumes (the black sneaking suit and the boss fight camos) are all alt costumes for Snake already.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I just realized how much of a troll character Inkling is. You pick that nice colour you like so much on your character, and Inkling just drowns you in their paint.

Edit: also I really liked green girl inkling in Mario Kart, she kind of looked a bit alternative to me. So I am kind of bummed out she isn't in, but green boi looks cool too. Probably playing with alternative purple schoolgirl Inkling though. And Green boi as 2nd palette.

That is, if I end up liking the characters at a

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
But how? That confrontation with Dracula in the prologue of Symphony is one of the most famous scenes in video games, I could probably recite it word for word even though I’ve never played Symphony once.
The quote is more famous than the character himself.

Also more people know of Simon.

Not to mention Richter's first appearance was a Japanese exclusive one.

D

Deleted member

Alright, so new day, new wait. Do we know around what time we should expect an announcement for a direct....if its coming tomorrow?

Also...any new games? It feels so dry here, my lips get cracked just by looking at the screen.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I just realized how much of a troll character Inkling is. You pick that nice colour you like so much on your character, and Inkling just drowns you in their paint.
I’m worried that I’ll be playing Samus in the gravity suit, Inkling will paint me orange and I’ll suddenly be taking double damage ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom