• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I think there’s some kind of perception that Smash is sort of like Nintendo’s red carpet event and being included is some kind of special honours thing.

I used to think that way too... then Corrin happened :p
Roy kinda kills that, though, and he appeared in the second Smash installment.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Exactly. I don't get why peoples hate Corrin.

He was there for adversiting FE. Yet peoples hate him, as if he's a curse. Seriously, what's wrong with just one character? He's also unique too!

He deserves some love!
Because he was the only DLC Nintendo newcomer.

People love third parties, but most of the speculation and most of the pull are the Nintendo characters.

People were getting hyped for their favorite characters to get their second chance as DLC: K. Rool, Paper Mario, Ridley, etc.

Then we only get one first party, and it’s another Fire Emblem character. A character from a series that got two newcomers in the base game, and already had a DLC character in Roy.
Not to mention the character was added for mostly marketing (corporate) purposes.

I’ve personally never gotten all worked up since Sakurai said the development team really wanted Corrin, and he let them since he chose the rest of the roster himself. I thought it was fair that the people who put all their time into this game got to have at least one character.

If Corrin was added alongside K. Rool and like maybe one other first party character, there would’ve been a lot less backlash.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's gonna change Corrin from being in Smash now, but I wish he was saved for this game because I share the sentiments that he was an advertisment character.
A lot of characters are included for advertisement but it doesn't mean they are bad for smash.
Just look at bayonetta who was advertisng a growing franchise and left a big impression on smash 4 fans. :p

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Out of curiosity, is it true that Japan's also more of a humid heat vs a dry heat?
Japan is very humid during the summer. I lived in southern Kyushu for 6 years and trying to rid a bicycle to somewhere was equivalent of swimming in a pool of your own sweat when you were done.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There hasn't been a single character in Smash that I've disliked the inclusion of. There are characters I dislike the exclusion of, but that's not the same thing.
I wonder how many people figured out that my last post was just me grasping at straws for Boshi
Speaking of Boshi...

We have Wario, Waluigi, Washi...

But where's Wapeach and Watoad?

I guess Captain Syrup can be "Wapeach", she did operate out of a castle in her first appearance.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kirito from SAO confirmed for Smash
Kirito would beat the **** out of Bayonetta and take her place as the newest most despised Smash-character of all time.

Mainly because people wished it was Goku instead of the "Beater".

In all seriousness, I'd been wondering what a Smash-game featuring Anime-characters would look like... though I feel like that after Cartoon Network - Punchtime Explosion and other license-based mediocre Smash-clones, a concept like that has to be VERY competent to stand a chance living next to Ultimate.

At least people would be able to play as Goku in an officially made Smash-game.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There hasn't been a single character in Smash that I've disliked the inclusion of. There are characters I dislike the exclusion of, but that's not the same thing.

Speaking of Boshi...

I guess Captain Syrup can be "Wapeach", she did operate out of a castle in her first appearance.
There was a planned "anti-Peach" intended for one of the Mario sports games back in the day. I think it was Mario Tennis 64

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The fact that FE went from 2 to 6 characters was my main issue, just Robin and Lucina would have been fine to represent its recent success. Roy I could just about accept because of fan demand, even if I had to stretch my tolerance level to do so, but Corrin I just couldn't. No series really deserves 4 newcomers in one game (Roy was practically completely reworked), let alone Fire Emblem which isn't one of the historically big guns, it tripled its character representation which was just absurd when I felt there where options out there that could have given more to the roster at that point.

I've long since let go of that though, I'm well past the idea of hating characters now or caring about overrepresentation, but that was how I felt back then, and it was why I didn't buy Corrin (and by extension Bayo). Ironically I'm actively hoping FE will be even more overrepresented now as I really want Black Knight as an echo.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Speaking of Boshi...

Don’t forget the biggest spin-off character and enemy of the Smash speculations scene:

HII I’M WADAISY!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
The fact that FE went from 2 to 6 characters was my main issue, just Robin and Lucina would have been fine to represent its recent success. Roy I could just about accept because of fan demand, even if I had to stretch my tolerance level to do so, but Corrin I just couldn't. No series really deserves 4 newcomers in one game (Roy was practically completely reworked), let alone Fire Emblem which isn't one of the historically big guns, it tripled its character representation which was just absurd.

I've long since let go of that though, I'm well past the idea of hating characters now or caring about overrepresentation, but that was how I felt back then, and it was why I didn't buy Corrin (and by extension Bayo). Ironically I'm actively hoping FE will be even more overrepresented now as I really want Black Knight as an echo.
I agree, no series should get that many newco-*trips over Legend of Zelda in Melee*

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think FE should be done after Chrom. If the new FE game is a good game and there's been some time as well then I wouldn't care. Corrin just felt like he was hurried in.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I personally like Corrin a lot. He may not be the best character in his own game, but he is pretty damn awesome in smash, imo.
Each to their own. I was personally astounded that a character with a chainsaw sword, transforming limbs and dragon wings could end up so bland.

The fact that FE went from 2 to 6 characters was my main issue, just Robin and Lucina would have been fine to represent its recent success. Roy I could just about accept because of fan demand, even if I had to stretch my tolerance level to do so, but Corrin I just couldn't. No series really deserves 4 newcomers in one game (Roy was practically completely reworked), let alone Fire Emblem which isn't one of the historically big guns, it tripled its character representation which was just absurd when I felt there where options out there that could have given more to the roster at that point.

Yeah, I feel this. To this day the only DLC I bought for the game was Mewtwo and Ryu.

I still don't "want" any FE characters but I have the characters I want now so it would be selfish to object. I didn't even mind Chrom showing up and that was before K Rool (most wanted) was confirmed a short while later.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I agree, no series should get that many newco-*trips over Legend of Zelda in Melee*
This is Melee we're talking about. Melee from 64. 64, the game with 12 characters. It's not fair to compare IMO. I'd still ***** and moan today if Zelda got 4 new characters.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
LoZ got 4 newcomers in Melee, but given just how much more iconic the franchise and its characters are than Fire Emblem, people obviously wouldn't have minded that much.
Yeah, and I’m wondering if that’s one of yhe things keeping the lid on Zelda lately.

True, they got 4 newcomers in Melee, but two were quick clones. And since then, Zelda’s traded out one clone for another and... gotten nothing else in the character department.

Zelda is also a massive console mover. Not on the level of Pokémon or Mario, but definitely moreso than Fire Emblem. Corrin was the addition that brought FE over Zelda’s representation, in terms of raw characters and in unique movesets.

Corrin really just got a lot of hate for bad timing. If he’d have been released now, peoply would grumble but not hate.

And this shows that Zelda is also due for another bunch of characters...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I hope we get some sort of news confirmation tomorrow or this week. Visiting the website, working on color swaps, and working on detailing my roster during my down time helps but I can’t wait to see the new content.

On a semi-related note, a news blip came on the tv that’s Hokkaido had another level 4 earthquake. It’s pretty constant and obviously an indication that they are going through a lot.

In regards to Smash, I was thinking where it places among the other Nintendo library. Mario and Pokemon are easily the most financially successful and potentially the most visible. Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing are also series that do well with the general public. But where does Smash fit? Is it as commercially successful as both the entirety Pokémon and Mario? Is it as well-known to the general public?

I would argue that it’s not but it is special in its out way. I think it’s the most celebrated and revered and potentially the most marketable within the Nintendo library as it’s not only a crossover of Nintendo series but gaming as a whole.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The reason Zelda got 4 newcomers in Melee was due to the rushed dev cycle. Really there was only plans for one as Sakurai considered Zelda and Sheik the same character at the time. Young Link and Ganondorf were easy clones to make...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And as consequence it hasn't received a true newcomer since :evil:

I'm not really going to bother defending myself from 4 years ago, because like I said I don't care about all that jazz anymore, I was even pretty happy to see Chrom for his fans' sake. Speculation is too short to spend all of it being a negative nancy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason Zelda got 4 newcomers in Melee was due to the rushed dev cycle. Really there was only plans for one as Sakurai considered Zelda and Sheik the same character at the time. Young Link and Ganondorf were easy clones to make...
Weidly enough, the reason FE got three newcomers was also not planning ahead. It was only supposed to get Chrom/Robin.

By the way, I wonder which franchise will cause fans screaming 'Sakurai bias!' this time.
Melee had none.
It was Star Fox and Kirby in Brawl.
And Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus in For.
Ultimate? Who knows. Echoes made people stop counting clones, we might have none.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fire Emblem which isn't one of the historically big guns
Maybe not in the West but I believe it was one of the historically big guns in Japan. Awakening just happened to be the “Ocarina of Time” of Fire Emblem so it went from two characters to six characters in SSB4... just like how Zelda went from one character to five characters in Melee.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I still have an issue with the number of characters, even moreso now that Marth/Roy/Lucina/Chrom is a thing. It just feels like Sakurai goes above and beyond to include as many FE characters as possible, regardless of if they're strictly promotional or how similar they may turn out.

I get that FE has a large cast of characters to choose from, but almost none of the seven we have currently in Smash were highly requested. I guess that's what bothers me the most; Smash 4 created this really depressing attitude toward FE newcomers. Everyone expects a new FE character, there's very little hype for said character, Sakurai adds the FE character, and no one except the dedicated FE fanbase is excited for the new character. It's even gotten to the point where a lot of people want to "get the new FE character out of the way" so they can look forward to the rest of the reveals.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I literally have no character I DON'T want in Smash. I think I've said this for months now...
Same.
Well, I guess there are some characters that would make me cringe a bit but at this point I don't really care. Especially if another person on my wish list makes it in (ESPECIALLY Goemon, Geno, or Skull Kid).

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Since we always seem to be facing rumours and "leaks" from all directions in this thread I thought PushDustIn's thread on Twitter was a really timely and valuable read. I totally agree and relate with his stance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And as consequence it hasn't received a true newcomer since :evil:

I'm not really going to bother defending myself from 4 years ago, because like I said I don't care about all that jazz anymore, I was even pretty happy to see Chrom for his fans' sake. Speculation is too short to spend all of it being a negative nancy.
If it's any consolation, the chances of Fire Emblem getting a unique newcomer are slim to none.

Like I'd love Celica but she doesn't bring a lot to the table. Still would be nice getting her or Edelgard, though.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Year of the samurai. Samurai Shodown, Soul Calibur, and Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice!

Takamaru's turn right?

I think FE should be done after Chrom. If the new FE game is a good game and there's been some time as well then I wouldn't care. Corrin just felt like he was hurried in.
I would rather they remove Chrom and Lucina next game if they have to remove characters. Why Awakening needs 3 characters is beyond me. That being said the new FE looks beautiful.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Echo characters are pretty great especially with characters like Link moving away from the original design, then you have Young Link to keep the classic look/Majora's Mask characteristics.

Ganondorf isn't even an Echo anymore but still has a more badass moveset than if he'd just been a 100% original newcomer.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Maybe not in the West but I believe it was one of the historically big guns in Japan. Awakening just happened to be the “Ocarina of Time” of Fire Emblem so it went from two characters to six characters in SSB4... just like how Zelda went from one character to five characters in Melee.
That is one thing people tend to forget. Regions do play a role at times. Just because it was not a game changer in the west does not mean it was a game changer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If it's any consolation, the chances of Fire Emblem getting a unique newcomer are slim to none.

Like I'd loveCelica but she doesn't bring a lot to the table. Still would be nice getting her or Edelgard, though.
But like I said, I want Black Knight as an echo, so I'm not actually happy about that anymore :p

I'd also be accepting of Celica, she seems like she could be pretty cool. Really, that's just the mentality I'm going with this time, if the character is cool then I'm also cool with it, caring about all of that arbitrary nonsense is only making me enjoy things less.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

Speaking of Boshi...

If they needed a "Wapeach", i would like them to just reintroduce Princess Shroob from Mario & Luigi.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Same.
Well, I guess there are some characters that would make me cringe a bit but at this point I don't really care. Especially if another person on my wish list makes it in (ESPECIALLY Goemon, Geno, or Skull Kid).
Any character that would make me cringe is either in the game or deconfirmed. I'm not too fond of some fan favourites but at this point I just want a character that I can be hyped about.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
If DLC is a thing I can imagine either Byleth or Edelgard being a new FE rep next year, even though I think Fire Emblem representation is in a good place right now

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The other big Fire Emblem thing is that every character is a swordsman. Leaving aside the fact thay Lucy and Chrom are clones and Roy’s a semi, that’s still four unique sword kits.

Now Robin, Ike, Marth, and Corrin all play totally differently, and I’m not one of those people who complains that they all (save Robin) have a counter special. I think if we’d gotten characters like Hector (axe man) or Azura (lancer dancer lol), that may also have helped.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Considering Corrin is one of my mains, I never had a problem with her in fact, before we even knew about the ballot, I saw their character design for their new game, I told myself "I wish they could make it in Smash, but what's the chances of that happening." Little did I know...

Well, Sakurai always finds a way to surprise his fans.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
The other big Fire Emblem thing is that every character is a swordsman. Leaving aside the fact thay Lucy and Chrom are clones and Roy’s a semi, that’s still four unique sword kits.

Now Robin, Ike, Marth, and Corrin all play totally differently, and I’m not one of those people who complains that they all (save Robin) have a counter special. I think if we’d gotten characters like Hector (axe man) or Azura (lancer dancer lol), that may also have helped.
An FE character is an FE character is an FE character. I don't really care how they play. They're still an FE character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom