• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Boshi is my #1 for starters. And no, it's not an ironic pick.

Others that are on my mind are Skull Kid, Elma, Crash and Mike Jones
I do not have anyone on my wanted, but I do ironically want Goku, just to annoy Smash fans off. And yes, I do hide the sarcasm and let peoples guess for themselves.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really want Isabelle but thinking about her makes me pessimistic.

Sakurai seems to favor more 'hardcore' fighters this time (compare Inkling and Ridley with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer), alongside with older characters. Though, if she's an echo, I guess that wouldn't be a problem.

Rant is over.
I honestly feel like she'll be an echo, or at least a "modified" echo like Chrom. Hopefully people have stopped making little rules that'll just be broken in regards to echo moveset haha.

Btw if you ever feel down in hype or feel like the newcomers are "predictable" go watch the Nintendo New York Ridley reveal. It's so awesome to watch so many people freak out lol.
My girlfriend (and her poor mother) was there for the Smash / Inkling reveal trailer. People passed out. I think someone recorded it and I could barely see them off screen.

But yeah, Nintendo New York hype is the realest

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't really look like Nintendo has a good worldwide date for the Direct, to be honest, they should really be doing it tomorrow or something and get it over with.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One thing I hope for when the Direct eventually drops, is that whomever the character is, they don't get hate for being a disappointment. We've been antsy knowing that there is something to be revealed, and that anxiety can fuel disappointment if the character revealed doesn't meet "standards".

There's just as much chance to be a surprising/unpredictable character as there is an expected/fan favorite. Regardless of who it is, I hope we'll be appreciative of them when they do inevitably get revealed.
I don't even want to imagine. "Don't steal the spot of deserving characters!" line of though is stronger than ever in speculation. If the newcomer isn't Isaac/Geno/Skull Kid etc. things WILL get ugly quickly.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I do not have anyone on my wanted, but I do ironically want Goku, just to annoy Smash fans off. And yes, I do hide the sarcasm and let peoples guess for themselves.
I honestly don’t know why anyone would be against any particular character being in. The way I see it, if it’s not a character I like, then it’s just another face to punch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing I hope for when the Direct eventually drops, is that whomever the character is, they don't get hate for being a disappointment. We've been antsy knowing that there is something to be revealed, and that anxiety can fuel disappointment if the character revealed doesn't meet "standards".

There's just as much chance to be a surprising/unpredictable character as there is an expected/fan favorite. Regardless of who it is, I hope we'll be appreciative of them when they do inevitably get revealed.
I'm generally a neutral person when it comes to judgement, so I may be appreciative of who's coming next. Same can't be said for most people, though.

Heck, the only character I don't really want to see is Kiddy Kong, and even then I'm not worried since his chances are pretty small.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I honestly don’t know why anyone would be against any particular character being in. The way I see it, if it’s not a character I like, then it’s just another face to punch.
That's what makes Smash fans so strange. I guess just let their imagination run wild. We each have a dislike and like for a character, but I know that deep down, they aren't against the inclusion of his/her disliked character.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Some people are very sentimental about the "meaning" or "purpose" of Smash. Some characters may shatter that image.

I'm not in particular, but I can't fault people for being that way. Everyone has their own reasons for liking something.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
That's what makes Smash fans so strange. I guess just let their imagination run wild. We each have a dislike and like for a character, but I know that deep down, they aren't against the inclusion of his/her disliked character.
I think there’s some kind of perception that Smash is sort of like Nintendo’s red carpet event and being included is some kind of special honours thing.

I used to think that way too... then Corrin happened :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think there’s some kind of perception that Smash is sort of like Nintendo’s red carpet event and being included is some kind of special honours thing.

I used to think that way too... then Corrin happened :p
We are in 2018 and people still think Corrin is the most undeserving newcomer?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Not to mention that as one of the older WW characters, it would make sense to add her first.

How apt, given her Microgames tend to be on the odder side of things.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that, but it'd be a nice surprise.
And most recognizable Warioware characters too

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
We are in 2018 and people still think Corrin is the most undeserving newcomer?
Exactly. I don't get why peoples hate Corrin.

He was there for adversiting FE. Yet peoples hate him, as if he's a curse. Seriously, what's wrong with just one character? He's also unique too!

He deserves some love!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remember, it's not simply about a character being in the game. Some feel a role would fit a character better. It's simply more than being happy for one's fans. It doesn't mean you feel they should be playable too. There can be many reasons for that. This isn't a bad thing in itself. I have many characters I feel work better as NPC's. It's about respecting other people's opinions on it, not being forced to like the idea of someone playable. Plus, it might be a character you don't want to "punch their face in" either.

A character not being in the game at all I do feel might be a little overboard, if only because it's just taking the whole game a little too seriously. But it's understandable to not desire certain characters/content being in the game in general. Everybody has perceptions of the purpose behind the game. There's nothing wrong with that. But again, respecting other opinions on it is a lot more important than liking the idea. You shouldn't need to like an idea. You can still respect it, though.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Man, I am the only one (or one of the few) who think that Orbulon would be cool as a character?

Yeah? No? I can't read comments from the future, sadly, I am no Monado Boy. (Tho, I am a Aegis Boy)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

He was there for adversiting FE. Yet peoples hate him, as if he's a curse. Seriously, what's wrong with just one character? He's also unique too!

He deserves some love!
You have to consider the fact we had multiple FE DLC characters, something no other franchise had. This definitely didn't go well with many. Being it wasn't a character that people recognized but also had to pay extra for, it left a bitter taste in their mouth. If it was a more obscure character, instead of a completely new one, it'd go over a bit better in comparison.

Yeah, the hate is a bit undue, but it doesn't mean that having two Fire Emblem DLC was the best idea ever either. It's a skewed thing because only one franchise got extra attention. Now don't get me wrong, Sakurai acknowledged that and the character is awesome too. But it's pretty fair to want more evened out distribution. If it was any other character from a franchise that got DLC characters, it wouldn't have gone that well, though it might've gone slightly better since Fire Emblem gets a lot of undue hate.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

This is F, Mimique's friend, the same guy who 3 weeks ago said there would be a Direct last week. Take that as you will.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

This is F, Mimique's friend, the same guy who 3 weeks ago said there would be a Direct last week. Take that as you will.
His tweet sounds so cryptic. No offense, but it's like broke English, and I don't get it. Is he trying to say that maybe there is a announcement today?

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

He deserves some love!
At the time it just felt like blatant character shilling and advertising, just this completely new character from a series that already had plenty of “representation”.

But like I say, I’ve moved on from that mindset. I don’t mind him/her anymore. Or anyone else for that matter. Plus as you all know I have bigger fish to fry right now ;)

9E82C03B-4B6C-4278-BB54-242B81C0DA30.jpeg

AMIIBO ALTS PLS :(

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is an interesting topic.

Like most people, I’ve got a few characters I’m not excited about. Some I don’t recognize at all and don’t agree with the notion that they’re icons, some I feel are better suited to an assist role for various reasons, and some because they’re competition for the ones I do want.

But I can’t say that there’s anyone I’d rather not have in the game at all. Pretty well all of my least wanted would make me happy to see as assists.

Also, a lot is highly dependant on whether my wanted characters get in. While I have some characters who are competition for a different choice, I have no problem with the other choice and my favorite both being in. It would just annoy me if the other was chosen and my favorite was left to rot. And then there’s my shoot-for-the-moon Dovahkiin, after which I could just stop caring about anything.

Still, with Squirtle returning, I’m the most hyped I’ve been for a Smash game and nothing can kill that completely for me.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

He deserves some love!
Because he was the 6th Fire Emblem character and the second one that was DLC as people were already getting tired of the amount of FE characters. The fact that he was an advertisement character didn't exactly help (Roy also used to get heavily criticised as being "nothing but an advertisement character"). In addition to that, a 6th FE character wasn't highly demanded within the Smash community and Corrin's inclusion had nothing to do with fan demand. Add in to the fact that his game wasn't released yet in the west and Corrin being revealed as one of the last characters and the character that followed up Cloud Strife, and thus, for all these reasons, Corrin got tons of hate. There is also the "Another anime swordsman!?" people.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Nothing's gonna change Corrin from being in Smash now, but I wish he was saved for this game because I share the sentiments that he was an advertisment character.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I personally like Corrin a lot. He may not be the best character in his own game, but he is pretty damn awesome in smash, imo.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So we can expect a direct tomorrow?

If that's the case, time to prepare a bottle of nice water, because it's surely going to air at midnight again for me and a few others.:cheep::halfsheep::emptysheep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom