• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cause they'd be doing a deal with Microsoft, who own Banjo.

A "one thing leads to the other" scenario basically.
Which of course means nothing, heh. It just means they wanted to license Minecraft because, I dunno, it's a hugely iconic series and popular worldwide?

Plus, it does not "lead to that.". The reality is, if Sakurai goes to Microsoft to license something, he's going to license what he wants. If that includes B&K, it will include it. Minecraft content is about the only thing close to a lock as is due to it basically being severely iconic to the point that there's no reason to go to Microsoft and not get it too. It earned its way into Smash easily. B&K absolutely can happen, but that's a separate decision. It's definitely not common sense though. That's implying Sakurai will go to Microsoft to get B&K for sure. It has a reasonable chance, of course. I honestly think they could be playable, but on the other hand, I could see them as DLC instead where Minecraft is the only base content(not saying playable Steve? is that likely, mind you). We don't know what'll happen. We could get two sets of Microsoft content. It could all be DLC. It could all be base roster. Etc.

You genuinely believe Sakurai would only ask for Minecraft content?
Yeah, we do. It's because that is enough of a reason alone to go to Microsoft, to get some profilic 3rd party content. He only went to Ubisoft for Rayman as a Trophy, after all. It's more than enough reason on its own merits.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think some people here severely underestimate how popular and iconic Minecraft is. A personal dislike for the game, one that I do not share, also isn't reason to say that most Smash fans would be upset/hate it being in Ultimate.

Whilst I don't think Steve will make it as a playable character I could absolutely see a Minecraft stage and a Creeper AT as representation of one of the best selling games of all time.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I get it.

Vergeben's the most trustworthy leaker as of right now and he said Minecraft content.

But he never said Banjo+Kazooie content.

For all we know, Microsoft could have said yes to Minecraft but no to BK, and you're a fool if you think Sakurai would turn down a series as MASSIVE as Minecraft getting greenlit to be in Smash.

Of course I want BK in Smash, but Minecraft being in =/= BK being in.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You know, I'm thinking about Ridley in Smash Wii U. I remember his reveal and Sakurai talking about how he can be KO'd and give you a point to your score. And how he can join you as an ally in the fight, and all the elaborate attacks he had. It was clear that this was his way of giving us Ridley as almost a fighter since he had difficulty making him a regular fighter or didn't think he could pull it off.

It makes me think about a lot of Assist Trophies in Ultimate that seem to have a variety of complex movements and can be KO'd. I think this is, once again his attempt at giving people Almost Fighters instead of outright ignoring fan favorites.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's still fascinating to me that Minecraft is still getting new content. I never even heard of the new Aquatic updates but apparently it's been a thing for almost a year now or something and being updated frequently?

making me feel hella nostalgic.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
You know, I'm thinking about Ridley in Smash Wii U. I remember his reveal and Sakurai talking about how he can be KO'd and give you a point to your score. And how he can join you as an ally in the fight, and all the elaborate attacks he had. It was clear that this was his way of giving us Ridley as almost a fighter since he had difficulty making him a regular fighter or didn't think he could pull it off.

It makes me think about a lot of Assist Trophies in Ultimate that seem to have a variety of complex movements and can be KO'd. I think this is, once again his attempt at giving people Almost Fighters instead of outright ignoring fan favorites.
Oh absolutely. The decisions Sakurai has been making have been towards representing characters that fans love and wanting to give them the most enjoyable exposure he can. This does mean they can't all be playable, but the love and care he puts into them shouldn't be glossed over.

Shroob

Sup?
It's still fascinating to me that Minecraft is still getting new content. I never even heard of the new Aquatic updates but apparently it's been a thing for almost a year now or something?

making me feel hella nostalgic.
Minecraft is kinda like a 3D Dwarf Fortress.

It'll be updated forever more or less.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Adding Minecraft content without adding in Banjo-Kazooie would be like adding in Final Fantasy content without Geno.

Wait a minute...

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Maybe I am optimistic but I just don't see happening without Banjo. Again this is assuming what Verg said is true.
Optimistic wouldn't be the word I'd use.

In regards to "again this is assuming what Verge said is true." He has said nothing about B&K, so I'm really not sure where this line of thinking is coming from.

Shroob

Sup?
Optimistic wouldn't be the word I'd use.

In regards to "again this is assuming what Verge said is true." He has said nothing about B&K, so I'm really not sure where this line of thinking is coming from.
It's a cause and effect mindset, and a rather flawed one at that.

I get his logic.

"Because Minecraft content, means Microsoft, which means BK!"

But you can see how faulty that line of reasoning is at just a glance. Yes, Minecraft means Microsoft, but it does not mean BK.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
To be honest, I’m not even sure why Sakurai even wanted to get Minecraft content in the first place. I just see them getting a couple of trophies like with Rayman. The reason why I see people making the connection with Banjo is simply put, Banjo was a popular character during the ballot.

It’s likely that Banjo scored high enough for Sakurai to notice and decide to add in to game because of that, and when they went to Microsoft for negotiations, it’s possible he may have also been able to obtain the rights to use something like a creeper for a trophy. Similar to how he was able to get the rights to use Rayman and Commander Video for trophies.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Adding Minecraft content without adding in Banjo-Kazooie would be like adding in Final Fantasy content without Geno.

Wait a minute...
...We did get a Geno costume, so the analogy mayyyyyy not work as well as you think. I don't disagree with your point, though.

> MFW when I work at Burger King and the BK wording catches my attention despite obviously what the content is

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be honest, I’m not even sure why Sakurai even wanted to get Minecraft content in the first place.
Probably because it's one of the biggest games of all time currently. This is assuming Sakurai actually went with it, the absolute madman.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think some people here severely underestimate how popular and iconic Minecraft is. A personal dislike for the game, one that I do not share, also isn't reason to say that most Smash fans would be upset/hate it being in Ultimate.

Whilst I don't think Steve will make it as a playable character I could absolutely see a Minecraft stage and a Creeper AT as representation of one of the best selling games of all time.
But do you really think Sakurai would go to Microsoft one of the biggest companies in the world just for a stage and assist and not bother getting Banjo? I don't.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is all assuming Microsoft content is even coming...
Meh, I think it's possible. They're kinda rubbing it in Sony's face about the whole crossplay thing like they're best buds. And Minecraft is mostly the reason for that, so I think that plays in a lot with the budding relationship.

But do you really think Sakurai would go to Microsoft one of the biggest companies in the world just for a stage and assist and not bother getting Banjo? I don't.
I do, because anything is possible. He may go in and grab whatever he wants like he did with Castlevania. Hey may not get anything at all. Who knows?

Yes, but only as a costume. Would Banjo-Kazooie fans really be satisfied if all they got was a Banjo mii costume?
I don't see Shovel Knight fans complaining about him being an Assist.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And here I am still in the mindset that the next time we get a newcomer 'dump' will be our final one.

We'll 'probably' get our next Smash Direct announced in this Direct, maybe for mid-October if I had to guess, and I legit cannot see a world where after the next Smash announcement that we'd get more announcements.

If Sakurai wants to reveal the entire roster before launch(Probably to combat leaks if I had to guess), I really feel like we'll get our 1 mystery newcomer this coming Direct(Skull Kid/Incineroar), and the next Direct will be the Smash one with the final character dump.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Oh hey Zinith Zinith just noticed you're part of the Rankings Team, congrats!

And here I am still in the mindset that the next time we get a newcomer 'dump' will be our final one.

We'll 'probably' get our next Smash Direct announced in this Direct, maybe for mid-October if I had to guess, and I legit cannot see a world where after the next Smash announcement that we'd get more announcements.

If Sakurai wants to reveal the entire roster before launch(Probably to combat leaks if I had to guess), I really feel like we'll get our 1 mystery newcomer this coming Direct(Skull Kid/Incineroar), and the next Direct will be the Smash one with the final character dump.
That seems reasonable to me. Newcomer and an echo or two in this upcoming Direct and then a few more to round it all out in a Smash Direct end of October, beginning of November.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I'd go for November if I was a marketing lad, that'd make the anticipation mega high. or maybe i'm just dumb

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
To be honest, I’m not even sure why Sakurai even wanted to get Minecraft content in the first place. I just see them getting a couple of trophies like with Rayman. The reason why I see people making the connection with Banjo is simply put, Banjo was a popular character during the ballot.

It’s likely that Banjo scored high enough for Sakurai to notice and decide to add in to game because of that, and when they went to Microsoft for negotiations, it’s possible he may have also been able to obtain the rights to use something like a creeper for a trophy. Similar to how he was able to get the rights to use Rayman and Commander Video for trophies.
Because it's one if the greatest gaming phenomenon of the last decade. People like to talk about how games like Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 revolutionased a genre, but Minecraft completely revamped the sand box. And it is notable that in Japan, where the game is actually very popular, Minecraft is heavely associated with Nintendo since Xbox has an extremely small market there. Heck, Nintendo even released a limited edition Creeper New 2DS XL, it should say something about it.

And yeah, the paragon with Cloud and Geno is similar. Altough we got Geno, it was as a Mii Costume, not a playable character. That was Cloud.
Wouldn't be different if Minecraft got content and Banjo was a Mii Costume, or just a regular trophy.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, but only as a costume. Would Banjo-Kazooie fans really be satisfied if all they got was a Banjo mii costume?
Yes. Because that's still amazing as an option. Not as good as playable directly. It means he finally showed up outside of a blocky costume(in Minecraft Switch). Take a look at how people felt about the Geno costume.

Though my point was that we still got a form of Geno anyway. It means he was a possibility, one that also the ballot helped with. So for instance, we could get playable Steve?, Minecraft Stage, Creeper AT, and a Banjo & Kazooie costume and it'd be pretty much what happened with FFVII and Cloud. Well, you'd need one more Mii costume to be exact, but eh. You get the idea.

As I said before, I don't think we're going to get anything less than B&K playable if they show up, but I can't discount the possibility either.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh hey Zinith Zinith just noticed you're part of the Rankings Team, congrats!

That seems reasonable to me. Newcomer and an echo or two in this upcoming Direct and then a few more to round it all out in a Smash Direct end of October, beginning of November.
I'm questioning if we'll even get an Echo.

The datamined numbering seem to line up with a single newcomer, unless both them and the echo don't get a Memories page.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
You say that as if getting to use the Minecraft IP isn't a big deal and not worth something? You have to remember Banjo and Kazooie aren't everything Microsoft has and may not meet the ideas that Sakurai has for the game.

You can't just dismiss the idea of Sakurai negotiating with Microsoft for Minecraft if the reason is "but Banjo is like by Smash fans more, so why would he waste his time otherwise."

Last edited:
Yes. Because that's still amazing as an option. Not as good as playable directly. It means he finally showed up outside of a blocky costume(in Minecraft Switch). Take a look at how people felt about the Geno costume.

Though my point was that we still got a form of Geno anyway. It means he was a possibility, one that also the ballot helped with. So for instance, we could get playable Steve?, Minecraft Stage, Creeper AT, and a Banjo & Kazooie costume and it'd be pretty much what happened with FFVII and Cloud. Well, you'd need one more Mii costume to be exact, but eh. You get the idea.

As I said before, I don't think we're going to get anything less than B&K playable if they show up, but I can't discount the possibility either.
I don't think most were necessarily happy about Mii costumes even back in Wii U.

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, that brings up a good point.

We know there are 3 empty spots that were meant to go live on Friday's PotD most likely.

It'd probably have been:

Character trailer
Character gameplay trailer showcase
Character Memories

This kind of rules out any echoes for that Direct, doesn't it?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think most were necessarily happy about Mii costumes even back in Wii U.
And would you mind substantiating that claim? I remember a lot of people only being slightly disappointed, but not unhappy about Geno being a Mii Costume.

We know there are 3 empty spots that were meant to go live on Friday's PotD most likely.

It'd probably have been:

Character trailer
Character Memories

Did Richter get a spotlight moment alongside Simon on the same day or something?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
By 'dump' you mean 2 more unique newcomers as well as some echo fighters? Because after this Direct reveals inevitably 1 newcomer, that's all I think we'll have left.

Shroob

Sup?
And would you mind substantiating that claim? I remember a lot of people only being slightly disappointed, but not unhappy about Geno being a Mii Costume.

Did Richter get a spotlight moment alongside Simon on the same day or something?
I honestly have no idea.

Richter came out the week after Simon so I'm unsure.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don’t see Minecraft happening in Ultimate. I’m making no claims about it’s popularity or judgements on its fanbase. It just doesn’t seem like the kind of franchise Smash usually represents with Third-Parties. It’s neither a classic, iconic series nor one with close ties to Nintendo’s history. Giving it content seems akin to adding stuff from Angry Birds. Could be wrong though.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

It'd probably have been:

Character trailer
Character Memories

I guess there's the fact that the newcomer may not get a Memory, or maybe any echoes might just get showcased another day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom