• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
A question to all the boomers ITT: When was the first time you played Smash Bros and who was your main?
(technically I don't count as a boomer, but whatever, I'm close enough judging by the people around here)
Probably some time around when Smash 64 was released (so 2000 or so), I had a friend who owned it. I played Luigi because I always played Luigi in everything back then.

The first game I owned myself was Melee, I got that when it released. I played Marth, so much that the disc actually broke. A few years later I picked up Fire Emblem on GBA, and the rest is history. :p

Chron

Smash Journeyman
When your thirsty for Ultimate but realize it's still months away.
Play Melee.jpg

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a boomer, but something people seem to have a hard time believing is that my first smash bros was actually 64. My mom got a gamecube, but didn't get Melee until I was old enough to see it in the store and ask for it. I remember being very excited for Brawl on release day too.
I was way too young to have a main though, I just remember my brother and I called Ness Floaty Mario because we had no idea who he was
That reminds me of the old days of Nintendo Power and Walmart demos. I remember playing Melee on their kiosk for hours. I just couldn't get enough of that Peach and Zelda goodness.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I can take Shulk's frame data any day but please just make Backslash better or remove it, it's so bad. There's literally no situation in where it's optimal.
Have it start frame 1 and end frame 3. Just imagine the movement on the ground! :troll:

Seriously though, spamming that on the ground would be too much.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I made an account here when I was like 14, posted 1 roster, forgot about it. Was confused as all hell when my usual email was already used here, when I did a password recovery and saw my old username, a wave of embarrassment passed over me as a remembered how outright ******** I was. I'm 21 and a senior in college now, and hopefully am a much more respectful person and have a better idea of how Smash works.
You and I are in the same boat. I was unbelievably stupid when I first started here. All I was doing was basically being Link's #1 fanboy proclaiming he was at least mid tier in Brawl (please repeat that slowly...). I was extremely stupid. Thankfully I'm 22 and I've since matured substantially since those days and hopefully I've grown in the eyes of some of the people that saw me as quite the idiot back then.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I still remember my first experience with Smash Bros. I was a dumb kid, up late in the night playing 64, and I actually woke my mom up at like 2 in the morning to ask her to play with me.

The best part is she actually did.

The_Killah29

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Switch FC
SW-6336-0165-8517
26 year old boomer. Played the first one back in 2000. My main was Link and he's now one of my top 5.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I still remember my first experience with Smash Bros. I was a dumb kid, up late in the night playing 64, and I actually woke my mom up at like 2 in the morning to ask her to play with me.

That's really wholesome and sweet actually, made me smile

My mom and brother beat Tabuu for me when I was a bratty little kid.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Attention Smash Ultimate Discussions thread:

It has brought to the moderating staff’s attention that this thread has largely been off-topic with little discussion going into Smash Ultimate. This is understandable as we don’t have our promised Direct as it got postponed and a severe drought of new information. But this is not a free pass to post whatever is in your head at a given time. This is a discussion thread, not a social thread. This is the social thread. If you want to discuss what you ate for breakfast or what Wario smells like after running a long time, please post there.

This thread, by agreement of the staff, is dangerously close to being closed for a limited time. This not one persons doing but the group as a whole. Generally, off-atopic rules are laxed here but there are still standards.

General off-topics includes:
  • Character discussion that originate from non-video game franchises such as Marvel and Star Wars characters, Spongebob, Shrek, Rick and Morty, MLP, and real world figures (please keep conversation concerning these characters short as pronlonges conversation would be considered off-topic)
  • Memes/picture only posts
  • Video only posts
  • Quoting someone and saying “this”
  • Fake leaks that are obviously made by you
  • Fake leaks including fake Direct announcements
  • Discussing character content that has no bearing in Smash (sexual history and sexual preference are examples)
  • Smashboards problems and issues
  • Taking about users on other sites
  • Picking a user and flaming/trolling them
  • Talking about banned users
  • One-off posts with a quick joke and punchlines
  • Other general topic conversations that are obviously obvious off-topic and me spelling them out for you would be a waste of al of our times and energy
Again, the staff understands that it’s hard to keep on topic when all the topics have been discussed but that doesn’t mean everyone has participated in them. However, the staff can’t keep looking away and shrugging when we see blatant off-topic posting in a thread not designed and intended for that. Continued off-topic posting will result in a thread close followed by stricter moderation concerning off-topic and spammy posts. This is basically a final warning.

There are still tons of things left to discuss and two about ranging from characters, stages, franchises, items, music, and other goodies. And if you got nothing, tag one of the mods and perhaps we can help steer people in an interesting conversation related to Smash. We also recognize several users who have tried to steer the conversation to be more on-topic; especially in the last few pages. That’s a very good start and let’s keep trying to going in that direction. Remember to always report, don’t respond, when you see a troublesome post. Let the mods deal with it. Responding to spam/trolling/flaming is basically spam in of itself.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can take Shulk's frame data any day but please just make Backslash better or remove it, it's so bad. There's literally no situation in where it's optimal.
Precisely.
I feel like it's been over-memed to the point where they made it its own special move that's extremely slow just to show off "HEY, SHULK'S DOING THE THING YOU GUYS LIKE." when in reality, it should be like, what, a forward smash at most?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

You're 19? I still have different standards for what I consider old, and I generally don't consider that close. No harm meant at all.

Edit: You're fortunate to have someone around who cared to play with you. I can't say the same at this point. I'm a bit lonely...

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm so glad someone finally made a video on his issues.
Everytime I bring it up, it's non-stop "BUT HIS RANGE THOUGH!" as if that makes up for his terrible... everything.

Keef accurately represents my emotions regarding him.
I'd be satisfied if Buster and Speed buffed his frame data

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
We're talking about ages now? The effect from the Direct drought is much worse than I feared...

Welp I'm 25. But to say something Smash relevant:
GIVE ME NEKU OR SORA, PLEASE SAKURAI

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How would you guys think; "Dire Dire Docks" could work?
Love the song, but the original would not suit a fight that much.

After listening to Gangplank Galleon's epic genre change, I was wondering what arrangement DDD could take to make it work for fighting, while still be it's beautiful self.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
My man Future Trunks.

I once imagined a moveset for him that made him a mix of fast punches and sword strikes with a bit of ki blasts, but I'm too lazy to write it out.
Are we talkin' Base Future Trunks, Super Saiyan Future Trunks, Super Trunks, Dragon Ball Super Future Trunks, (DBS) Super Saiyan Trunks, (DBS) Super Saiyan 2 Future Trunks, or Super Saiyan Anger Future Trunks?

Potato_

Smash Lord
Alright we've got Midna's Lament in, so for another sadder song I'd love to see the composers do a different take on this:

Honestly I could go all day with tracks I'd LOVE to see, here are some more:

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How is that exactly off topic? :confused:
Because they don’t have a chance to be in Smash.

Again, we understand if it’s a quick conversation but it shouldn’t dominate the conversation and drown out actual meaningful discussion. And that’s also what the social is for.

Talking about Rick and Morty in Smash is off-topic.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I’ve been listening to this recently. Really brings back the nostalgia:

God, having PMD rep in anyway would be awesome, whether it be Primal Dialga as a boss or the Time Gears as items.
I do understand why Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team doesn't really pull from spin-off games as compared to mainline ones. As the mainline games are definitive and iconic compared to the others, and I completely understand that.
However, you're definitely missing out with not including stuff from Pokémon's side of things and a couple of other franchises. It honestly sucks to see that he doesn't use it, because like in the case of PMD, there's a lot of amazing stuff to pull from.

as for mainline games, just give me Zinnia's theme please. It doesn't even have to be remixed, just port the track into the game.

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
While I don't think I minecraft should have a playable charecter, I think a stage would be amazing, but in a perfect world, we'd have three stages, one for the end, one for the nether, and one for the overworld, I honestly would highly enjoy a minecraft stage, anyone else's thoughts?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Okay guys what music do you want to see in Ultimate
- The entire oeuvre of Yuzo Koshiro for the Etrian Odyssey series (e.g. the original soundtrack of Etrian Odyssey IV)
- Twilight of the Gods - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Many tracks from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, in particular Eldigan the Lionheart, Doorway to Destiny, Versus Julius, Leif's Army in Search of Victory - Leif
- Pursuit - Cornered - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I could go on, but I'll be satisfied with just a few of these.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
While I don't think I minecraft should have a playable charecter, I think a stage would be amazing, but in a perfect world, we'd have three stages, one for the end, one for the nether, and one for the overworld, I honestly would highly enjoy a minecraft stage, anyone else's thoughts?
Paper Mario fans got 1 with 3 transformations so y'all gonna get that too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom