• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
"So tell me, why do you think your most wanted character has a chance at being playable in Smash?"

How would you respond?

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Welp, considering my girlfriend's out of town and I have a week off from my job, I don't have much else to do but wait for the direct, especially since it's raining real hard where I am right now. The new Spider Man game has helped a bit, though. Bad time to use my vacation days :(

Anyways, a while back, I made a roster for the hypothetical Smash reboot that was considered, and I figure I might as well share my reboot roster here, since it would kill a few minutes of time.

The total roster is composed of 30 characters. It was SO HARD choosing just 30. While some franchises definitely got more than others, I had to make some really painful cuts so that the roster remained diverse (the only franchises that got more than 2 characters were Mario and Pokemon).

All in all, I tried to make a roster that would best reflect the history and legacy of Nintendo both in the modern age and in the past. This roster is basically a book of Nintendo's history, with plenty of franchises both old and new represented. (This also means I couldn't include 3rd parties. Which sucks a lot.) Has anybody else come up with reboot rosters?
What is the Reboot's "gimmick". I'm gonna start to ask this everytime someone brings out the idea of a reboot. No one would would want to buy a smash game with noticable less characters if the gameplay doesn't have a BIG NEW gameplay element. You at a minimum should have a theme (like for example "Super Bash Sisters"), otherwise I find reboot rosters pretty boring.
"So tell me, why do you think your most wanted character has a chance at being playable in Smash?"

How would you respond?
I don't.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Y'know

Constantly refreshing my twitter feed every 2 minutes to see if Nintendo posted something regarding the direct is not good for one's health

I can feel my repetitive strain injury lurking behind a corner

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

How would you respond?
I point to a picture of Dark Pit.

"Clearly, anything is possible."

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I still don't get why people choose to forget the fact Zekrom had removed Pikachu's electricity before this when they mention this battle.
You're right, I did forget my bad. However Pikachu shouldn't of lost still, one quick attack or iron tail is all it needed against a level 5 Snivy. Even if we omitted this fact (which by the I'm willing to agree is a good reason, cause full power Pikachu no doubt would of dusted Snivy), that still leaves a list of mistakes Unova Ash made, that Sinnoh Ash would never come close to doing. At least we can agree that Kalos Ash was beyond amazing considering just one more attack and he would of defeated the Champion (despite it being official).

link2702

Smash Champion
Something tells me this place will be called pokeboards this April fools day considering how long this pkmn discussion is going...

Chrono.

Is the difference between the way “Shadow” is written between Black Shadow and Sonic’s Shadow legit too?
Well, Shadow is written like that.

Black Shadow is the one I can't really find anything on unless I play like a Japanese version of X or GX or something.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I mean, he's not wrong. We've proven many times that society has failed
I don’t know. I think it’s been fairly steady. Power, water, shelter, World Wide Web, food everywhere, communication is insane, VIDJA GAMES!

Pretty good considering alternatives.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice

How would you respond?
Sonic, for better or for worse, is one of gamings most iconic franchise, and is very important to Nintendo as whole. As such, it is only fair that it be the first third party to receive more fighters.
And, it makes logical sense, that after player one, we add player two.
Tails is the second playable charecter to be introduced to the franchise, and the third charecter overall. While recent sonic games have been pushing Tails in the back seat, they have been doing similar to other side charecters.
Tails has the potential to be a potent zoner, a realativley unexplored fighter type in 4, and with ultimate slated to promote aggressive play over defensive, Tails's gadgets and ranged weapons make a solid opportunity for a good contrast between both his other franchise fighter, and the rest of the cast in general, barring R.O.B, G&W, Villager, etc.
I... Took this way more seriously than everyone else

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
In 4 days Digimon will have a Special livestream with some special secret things about games.

Maybe...

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Everyone and their grandma knows about Star Wars. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.
I believe she's referencing how the Star Wars fandom is a ****ing cesspool that thinks it's ok to harass women off the internet my dude

Last edited:

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice

How would you respond?
I mean. I've wanted Young Link back forever, so I'm pretty content.

That being said, I've always wanted Banjo and Kazooie. And I suppose they deserve to be in just because their moveset would be bomb and their legacy.

Skull Kid deserves to be in because he is iconic, and Majora's Mask is still slept on as a fantastic entry in the Zelda series. At least, that's what I've seen amongst the fans.

And my last most wanted is Dixie Kong. She deserves to be in because she's the third main Kong in the Country games. She's interesting as a female character and has unique moveset potential. But I would be satisfied if she got the Echo treatment.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don’t know. I think it’s been fairly steady. Power, water, shelter, World Wide Web, food everywhere, communication is insane, VIDJA GAMES!

Pretty good considering alternatives.
Humanity did that **** but we're definitely 100% not perfect.

Holocaust and genocides in ****ing general. We have some people that think our world isn't in any danger in the next few centuries and they support fracking and deny global warming. America is doing a pretty less than admirable job against fighting racism seeing how a shoe ad has caused more controversies in our country than every shooting has. Shootings in general too.

What is the Reboot's "gimmick". I'm gonna start to ask this everytime someone brings out the idea of a reboot. No one would would want to buy a smash game with noticable less characters if the gameplay doesn't have a BIG NEW gameplay element. You at a minimum should have a theme (like for example "Super Bash Sisters"), otherwise I find reboot rosters pretty boring.
Theme..... uhhh.....

I didn't really think of that. I made a heavily shortened roster because Sakurai mentioned that a reboot of the franchise would have significantly less characters than what we've got now. (Plus, there's something weirdly fun about coming up with shortened rosters like this; you have to decide who's really important and who really earns their keep. Like I said, I like the finished result because I think it reflects Nintendo's history very well.)

That being said, I didn't really think about any of that other stuff you brought up, and I do agree nobody would want to buy a reboot with less characters without something magor. But then, there's not a ton you can do to improve upon Ultimate.... so it's either reboot the franchise or keep adding on to Ultimate, and end the series on a high note. If it was my call, I'd choose the latter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's crazy that Saki has yet to be shown as an Assist Trophy yet. He's one of the few with perfect Attendance. He and Shadow missing is pretty damn suspicious. They were more than happy to disconfirm Waluigi and Lyn. It seems weird to me that Saki is missing. He was pretty popular during Brawl speculation, and so was Simon. So, maybe he's playable?
Careful, Ashley was in a similar situation, even if she debuted in Smash For.
You can also say the same thing for Isabelle, Skull Kid, and Shadow. Shadow could get the playable promotion, but I'm rather skeptical about Skull Kid's chances, and I still think that Isabelle is better off keeping her Assist Trophy job.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Still happens way too often and then there's all the football hooligans, the state of certain countries, wars, etc. I know this ain't the thread for it but there's no denying we're not that good
I think that depends on scale. Compared to what things could possibly be? Nowhere near.
Relative to everything we know that actually exists? We aren’t worse than nature itself from which we are derived and are a part.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And how the actor for Jar Jar was nearly driven to suicide by toxic fans and how other people of the prequel cast got treated but eh
Don’t forget Jake Lloyd, ffs he was only a KID! He had to throw out all his SW merch cause the bullying in schools became too much

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I mean, I don't see what harassment has to do with my love of the Original Trilogy and my love of prequel memes, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom