• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
XC2 Torna DLC is releasing in a few days. Since I highly doubt we're getting a XC2 character in the base game I wonder if Sakurai will pull from the Torna expansion once he starts doing DLC for Ultimate (which I assume is 100% happening). With some of the short footage we've got there's more to pull from for Mythra now. It'd be neat if Sakurai mixed the gameplay styles for both XC2 and the Torna DLC and we had a Rex and Pyra/Mythra swapping thing going on.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's crazy that Saki has yet to be shown as an Assist Trophy yet. He's one of the few with perfect Attendance. He and Shadow missing is pretty damn suspicious. They were more than happy to disconfirm Waluigi and Lyn. It seems weird to me that Saki is missing. He was pretty popular during Brawl speculation, and so was Simon. So, maybe he's playable?
Careful, Ashley was in a similar situation, even if she debuted in Smash For.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-dQHOYoaE

If Rob received a trailer it would have been about how he the first gyromite ever spun split the red sea

jokes aside imagine if they made CG trailers for every single character. who would be the coolest to see? I think Captain Falcon!
Sonic, obviously. Imagine how that would have happened, suddenly, a new video on the Dojo or whatever with Mario beating up some characters and feeling proud of him, then we hear some tisks and then who do we see? The blue blur, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario's classic rival in the 90's. That would be ****ing amazing

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Welp I got an idea:

Instead of Triple Finish for Pokemon Trainer, why not do something that involves at least one legendary Pokémon from each generation perform a Hyper Beam attack? Hitbox and percentage would remain despite the pokemon differences
In my head, the perfect representation of a Gen 1 Pokemon Trainer Final Smash would be sending out Mewtwo but we all know that can't happen.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For Sun & Moon, since I noticed trainers carry very few pokemon with them, I did a Nuzlocke run where I could only have 2 Pokemon until after the 1st Island was dealt with, only 2 Pokemon until after Kiawe's trial was completed, and then a max of 4 Pokemon that could be used after clearing Island 2. That way it scaled a bit better and I could only carry a maximum of 4 pokemon, chosen via Nuzlocke, at once (extras waited in the PC until they were inevitably needed). II thought it would be a decent challenge, but I ended up picking up a Magnemite at the School yard and it takes a long time for the game to be able to counter a Steel/Electric type.
Did you remember to turn off the Exp.Share, or was Magnemite just that good? SM has a few decently challenging bits early on, and if you don't use the Exp.Share, then enemies get pretty overleveled late game.

Anyway, trainers generally having only one or two pokemon is probably one of my biggest gripes with SM, and I say that as a huge fan of those games. It kind of takes away from the way z-moves are balanced. Not to mention how a Z-move's animation stops being fun to watch after you've used it like a million times already. On the other hand, wild pokemon are higher levels then they would be in previous games and the SOS system means that they can get pretty dangerous, especially if you're unable to bring them down fast enough or can't run away.

As far as using fewer pokemon is concerned though, I think there is an NPC in BW who suggests using a team of only three pokemon through the entire game, making they point that using fewer pokemon will mean that the experience gained won't be spread as thin. So it's funny how that's an actual valid strategy suggested by a previous game itself.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
This is a world where lemonade costs 300 bucks. Though there's free healthcare so I say it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make
Well, the currency in Pokémon is based on Yen. So P300 is more like $2.70 (£2.00, €2.30 and $3.55 Canadian).

As an aside, assuming a single Pokédollar is equal to a Yen, TM15 (Hyper Beam) is worth:
RBY: $9,900​
GSC: $13,500 [Hyper Beam is worth 7,500 Coins, a single coin is worth P200; basically, 7,500 Coins is worth P1,500,000]
Gen III & IV: $67.50​
BW & XY: £810​
ORAS and Gen VII: $450​

Porygon is worth ~$18000.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sonic, obviously. Imagine how that would have happened, suddenly, a new video on the Dojo or whatever with Mario beating up some characters and feeling proud of him, then we hear some tisks and then who do we see? The blue blur, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario's classic rival in the 90's. That would be ****ing amazing
Am I the only one who wants to see Sonic and Mario teaming up instead of duking it out? They both save people.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
The music would be great!

Jigglypuff. I want to see how they'll make it interesting.
Maybe a singing contest, but I'm not sure with who lol

Or something cute with Kirby lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Am I the only one who wants to see Sonic and Mario teaming up instead of duking it out? They both save people.
I would imagine most videogame heroes save people.

They wouldn't be much of a hero if they didn't eh?

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff. I want to see how they'll make it interesting.
Maybe they would do something like this.

A big battle is happening, then slowly you can hear Jigglypuffs song grow louder. The fighters fall asleep then jiggs gets super pissed just like in the Pokemon anime. Thats all i got

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Perhaps the real Pokemon were the friends we made along the way.

Anyways, people are tired of hearing this but I just want Nintendo to drop the direct date already. I have no problem waiting until Thursday or Friday, but id like to at least KNOW its gonna be Thursday or Friday, yaknow? Its like being right next to the lightswitch in a pitch dark room. Ol Spidey is keepin me busy in my down time, and Hat in Time DLC is this week, but it is definitlry time for some more Smash hype.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You guys are hopeless. Puff doesn't need a punny CGI trailer to be interesting or fabulous.

kylexv

Smash Master
Looks like we're probably getting the direct Thursday, seeing as Nintendo hasn't said anything today and it's already Tuesday in Japan. That's why I made sure not to plan anything then lol.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
My hype is deflating more and more every hour, let's talk about something that we haven't discussed in a while - game development timeline.

Hear me out - Melee had 14 newcomers, many of which were clones. There wasn't a ton of time in between 64 and Melee.
Brawl had a ton of newcomers but also had a huge story mode. The story mode limited the number of characters they added (but not by much at all)
Smash 4 had two systems to build for, so it limited the single player significantly.

Smash Ultimate as of now has no official story mode, just one heavily hinted at, and is only going to be for the Switch and not a handheld like 4. What if anything could hold Ultimate back where it doesn't have the most newcomers in any game in the series? Balancing issues? A story mode exactly like Brawl in size? Every mode returning like Board the Platforms and Smash Run? This game has been in development since 2015 and has had a lot of time, what super crazy addition are they planning for this game?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's crazy that Saki has yet to be shown as an Assist Trophy yet. He's one of the few with perfect Attendance. He and Shadow missing is pretty damn suspicious. They were more than happy to disconfirm Waluigi and Lyn. It seems weird to me that Saki is missing. He was pretty popular during Brawl speculation, and so was Simon. So, maybe he's playable?
I don't think his absence is any more suspicious than the absence of Devil, Kat & Ana, Infantry & Tanks, or Lakitu.

D

Deleted member

Man, not even Kingdom Hearts fans are this thirsty, and that's saying something. :nifty:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They're just so different in terms of gameplay.
Welp I got an idea:

Instead of Triple Finish for Pokemon Trainer, why not do something that involves at least one legendary Pokémon from each generation perform a Hyper Beam attack? Hitbox and percentage would remain despite the pokemon differences
Or just let Charizard go Mega and wreck ****.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Perhaps the real Pokemon were the friends we made along the way.

Anyways, people are tired of hearing this but I just want Nintendo to drop the direct date already. I have no problem waiting until Thursday or Friday, but id like to at least KNOW its gonna be Thursday or Friday, yaknow? Its like being right next to the lightswitch in a pitch dark room. Ol Spidey is keepin me busy in my down time, and Hat in Time DLC is this week, but it is definitlry time for some more Smash hype.
Even if it's next week it would be nice to know it was next week. I think Nintendo should at least tell us when it's been delayed to. Then we can properly wait for it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be fair, at least Kingdom Hearts probably doesn't have events, where a new trailer is going to be shown off, delayed.
Nah, they just have the same exact trailer played three times in the same E3.

D

Deleted member

In my head, the perfect representation of a Gen 1 Pokemon Trainer Final Smash would be sending out Mewtwo but we all know that can't happen.
I think it would be pretty cool as a Final Smash if he sent out a Mega Blastoise, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Charizard X to use the combined triple attack, showing off that he's been taking it easy on people by using a Squirtle and Ivysaur instead of his Blastoise & Venusaur to go with his Charizard. He's only showing 3 guys; we've got no idea what his other 3 are...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You guys aren't in Japan right now. There's still probably lots of cleaning up and searching for missing people as well as people mourning their losses and attending funerals you know. This ain't something they can do in just a day. Be more respectful.

If this must take a month so be it. Lives are more important and there's likely still victims on life support fighting to stay alive.

My prayers are still out to everyone over there in Japan.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Smash Ultimate as of now has no official story mode, just one heavily hinted at, and is only going to be for the Switch and not a handheld like 4. What if anything could hold Ultimate back where it doesn't have the most newcomers in any game in the series? Balancing issues? A story mode exactly like Brawl in size? Every mode returning like Board the Platforms and Smash Run? This game has been in development since 2015 and has had a lot of time, what super crazy addition are they planning for this game?
Every character coming back

Exactly as Sakurai stated.

Also 103 Stages

osby

Smash Obsessed
My hype is deflating more and more every hour, let's talk about something that we haven't discussed in a while - game development timeline.

Hear me out - Melee had 14 newcomers, many of which were clones. There wasn't a ton of time in between 64 and Melee.
Brawl had a ton of newcomers but also had a huge story mode. The story mode limited the number of characters they added (but not by much at all)
Smash 4 had two systems to build for, so it limited the single player significantly.

It has over seventy characters. If i isn't a crazy addition, I don't know what is.

D

Deleted member

Smash is probably one of the biggest gaming franchises tbh though. It's no surprise really.
Right, but people have been waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 for at this point more than 10 years. And we're waiting for Smash Ultimate in less than 3 months right? Literally a week is nothing lol

To be fair, at least Kingdom Hearts probably doesn't have events, where a new trailer is going to be shown off, delayed.
It does have events and trailers and the game was delayed from 2018 to 2019.

Welp, considering my girlfriend's out of town and I have a week off from my job, I don't have much else to do but wait for the direct, especially since it's raining real hard where I am right now. The new Spider Man game has helped a bit, though. Bad time to use my vacation days :(

Anyways, a while back, I made a roster for the hypothetical Smash reboot that was considered, and I figure I might as well share my reboot roster here, since it would kill a few minutes of time.

The total roster is composed of 30 characters. It was SO HARD choosing just 30. While some franchises definitely got more than others, I had to make some really painful cuts so that the roster remained diverse (the only franchises that got more than 2 characters were Mario and Pokemon).

All in all, I tried to make a roster that would best reflect the history and legacy of Nintendo both in the modern age and in the past. This roster is basically a book of Nintendo's history, with plenty of franchises both old and new represented. (This also means I couldn't include 3rd parties. Which sucks a lot.) Has anybody else come up with reboot rosters?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it would be pretty cool as a Final Smash if he sent out a Mega Blastoise, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Charizard X to use the combined triple attack, showing off that he's been taking it easy on people by using a Squirtle and Ivysaur instead of his Blastoise & Venusaur to go with his Charizard. He's only showing 3 guys; we've got no idea what his other 3 are...
Afaik, he has only three mons.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Honestly neither do we, we're just assuming there was going to be Smash there.

Right, but people have been waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 for at this point more than 10 years. And we're waiting for Smash Ultimate in less than 3 months right? Literally a week is nothing lol
To be fair, a long time waiting makes this year more bearable till January, we've been waiting for so long that half a year isn't that big of a deal

Smash is so close since we've known it actually existed in the first place that it makes us thirst for more and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom