• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Nah I was right it was Ho-Oh

'Ho-Oh lived in the Tin Tower in ancient times. When a war broke out, burning both the Tin Tower and the Brass Tower down, it created Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, and all four disappeared. Later, a new Tin Tower was erected, but Ho-Oh since then has never come back for sure.'

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
No no this was in one of the first 3 generations I remember it very well from my childhood
Maybe you're thinking about the anime or some movie? I found mention of the anime stating Ho-Oh fled because invaders wanted it and then burned the tower since it fled (which doesn't make much sense seeing the burned tower was Lugia's). And even then there's 3 problems with this:

-It was Johto not Kanto
-It was like 150 years ago, not even close to recent history
-Let me remind you that Surge is not from Kanto and is probably from Unova

Bonus problem: The anime is not canon at all

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

'Ho-Oh lived in the Tin Tower in ancient times. When a war broke out, burning both the Tin Tower and the Brass Tower down, it created Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, and all four disappeared. Later, a new Tin Tower was erected, but Ho-Oh since then has never come back for sure.'
However, about 150 years before the games' events, a lightning bolt struck the western tower. It was engulfed in flames that raged for three days. A sudden downpour finally put out the blaze, but it had already burned to the ground.

Quoted from the wiki you linked yourself, a war isn't what burned down the towers

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Ho-Oh lived in the Tin Tower in ancient times. When a war broke out, burning both the Tin Tower and the Brass Tower down, it created Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, and all four disappeared. Later, a new Tin Tower was erected, but Ho-Oh since then has never come back for sure.
Alright but this is another ancient war that is irrelevant to Kanto circa Gen I's setting

Edit: and also what Dukeofdeath5 Dukeofdeath5 said

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So you win a gym battle and the leader is like...k take this sparkly badge and here’s five bucks.

And pokeball tech, crazy as it is, is $2.00 per regular ball.
In the Pokemon world, a spherical, solid gold nugget the size of a soccer ball can net you about 45 dollars.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Here's a game theory (A Matpat in my land as they call it) Every Kirby game where :ultkingdedede: is a villan is just :ultkirby: auditing him because Kirby is his accountant.

:ultmetaknight: is a just a dealer who can't clean his money good....

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I get that, but also Sun and Moon is literally about how you're taking part in a island-wide ritual made for children. If it didn't feel like people are taking care of you, it would be just... not what it wants to be.

Not everything has to be the same, you surely don't have to like it, but Sun and Moon does a great job of doing exactly what it said it was doing.
But that's my point they purposely changed the game's main goal and scenario to be more friendly and helpful. And feel like more kids would appreciate a game that made it feel like they were going out on their own and not being helped by anyone in the world (even if the game secretly is helping them). And I fear that the Pokemon series is going in this "Hey it's okay buddy! As long as you did your best and had fun." type of direction. I kind of fear for Gen 8.

The friendly rivals kind of started all of that.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Unless you pick Charmander or Chikorita. :V
Ah... yes those days *flashbacks to Brock and Misty fights without patiently catching Pikachu like I should off, but noooo, I had to do It the hard way, and miss out on Pikachu until later*
I love HGSS, it's one of my favorite games of all time and probably my favorite to Nuzlocke but good god is the level curve BAD. And that's not to mention the Johto Pokemon you're locked out of until Kanto(unless you safari zone grind but lol) and the ****ING WHIRL ISLANDS I ****ING HATE THAT THING.
BW has the best level curve imo, I never felt the need to grind and Audinos existed if I did find myself in need. I keep seeing B2W2 being mentioned as an example of a good level curve but I only played it twice, and that was a long time ago so yeah, probably should give it another go.
*Just want to catch Lugia one of my favorite at the Whirl Island*
Me: "Hey is Lugia here?"
Low level Krabby trying to start problems: "No, but you can fight me punk!"
*an hour and two crab cakes later*
Me: "Lugia? Ya there?"
Adorable lonely Seel: "Nope just me by my lonesome:("
*an hour, new partner, and joyful tears later*
"Lugia I finally found you! You're mine! Marie (Ampharos) use Thunder Wave... Marie?"
*left her at the Pokémon Center*
"Damn it!" *looks back at Lugia feeling scared* "I'm yours?" *Lugia nods ominously with a grin*
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
Cynthia so I can use Garchomp to rip apart the competition, plus that class she always emanates (honorable mentions Steven, Riley (the man with Lucario, who gives you a Riolu egg in Iron Island), and Ethan)

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
But that's my point they purposely changed the game's main goal and scenario to be more friendly and helpful. And feel like more kids would appreciate a game that made it feel like they were going out on their own and not being helped by anyone in the world (even if the game secretly is helping them). And I fear that the Pokemon series is going in this "Hey it's okay buddy! As long as you did your best and had fun." type of direction. I kind of fear for Gen 8.
Yeah positive reinforcement is the root of all the world’s ills. :p

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My first Pokemon game was Sapphire but I consider Gen 2 to be the series' peak.

Then again, I'm like the only Pokemon fan who didn't like the physical/special split.

Beta Gold looks like it would've been a really fun game too.

D

Deleted member

Geez, I went to go do some filing and came back to see the thread grew 4 pages, so i thought something happened. Is it really moving this fast on just Pokemon talk?

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
If you want a Pokemon war game, play conquest.

One of my fave Pokemon spin-offs.
God I forgot that existed completely, it was one of those games I heard about loads before release and then when it came out it seemed practically nonexistant

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Geez, I went to go do some filing and came back to see the thread grew 4 pages, so i thought something happened. Is it really moving this fast on just Pokemon talk?
Yes. Sadly.

What’s sad is that it’s very likely that they did in fact delayed the direct by a week.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
What’s sad is that it’s very likely that they did in fact delayed the direct by a week.
It's not that sad. The worst part about it is that people are getting antsy and my answer to being annoyed by that is to just to log off of Smashboards lol

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Alright so hold up. Evidently the Pokemon world is in A constant state of war going by all the reference to war in all the regions.

We don't know the extent of the war but we know that a few things It surge is relatively young for a veteran so war couldn't have been that long ago.

And that Blue is an orphan who was raised by his grandfather. Also Red does not have a dad from what we can see.

I think it's fair to say that war has had an impact on the Pokemon world just look what we did in two world wars and that was without Pokemon.

Just saying Kanto never appeared to
me like an economically stable region.

I think they will explore the war backstory more in future games imo or at least they hopefully will.

Chrono.

Not to derail the convo further but... At least one 4chan leak ended up being true lol.

http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/36446687
"Powerful moves can be motion controlled and unleashed with Joy Cons. Trailer coming for those on the 6th."​
Then today this shows up.

Lines up perfectly with the above.

Were there any Direct text leaks that referenced this?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

The friendly rivals kind of started all of that.
That's a very adult way of seeing things, I don't think kids care that much. It's not like weird **** doesn't happen either, you literally go raid a criminal controlled town alone in SM. Like I said, this is nostalgia goggles speaking louder.

Alright so hold up. Evidently the Pokemon world is in A constant state of war going by all the reference to war in all the regions.

We don't know the extent of the war but we know that a few things It surge is relatively young for a veteran so war couldn't have been that long ago.

And that Blue is an orphan who was raised by his grandfather. Also Red does not have a dad from what we can see.

I think it's fair to say that war has had an impact on the Pokemon world just look what we did in two world wars and that was without Pokemon.

Just saying Kanto never appeared to
me like an economically stable region.

I think they will explore the war backstory more in future games imo or at least they hopefully will.
No. I think what we wanted to gather from all that is that you're making things up. It's fine to create theories, but it's not even barely canon, it's simply not true at all.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's not that sad. The worst part about it is that people are getting antsy and my answer to being annoyed by that is to just to log off of Smashboards lol
I mean, look at what is happening to us right now.

With no information in sight + A LOT of hype, we’re all desperate. And it doesn’t change the fact that the direct was delayed right when we were getting really close.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Obviously Kanto is in a state of hyperinflation due to the recent war. Why else would a bike cost so much?

If someone else has an explanation for the bike and a lack of adults around Red's fathers age i would love to hear it

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Not to derail the convo further but... At least one 4chan leak ended up being true lol.

"Powerful moves can be motion controlled and unleashed with Joy Cons. Trailer coming for those on the 6th."​

not that I know of...
Does that mean they'll just casually drop the Smash trailer on Youtube?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Oh

I like what I read.

This game is getting better than I thought

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Pokemon and wars

I'm thinking in Gen 1 when Pokemon was the real world plus Pokemon and minus parental supervision, Surge (who was unambiguously american) was a veteran of one of then then recent wars like the Gulf Wars.

That got retconned somewhere down the line.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Welp I got an idea:

Instead of Triple Finish for Pokemon Trainer, why not do something that involves at least one legendary Pokémon from each generation perform a Hyper Beam attack? Hitbox and percentage would remain despite the pokemon differences

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Ok Smashwiki, now it's getting ridiculous. How is this even considered a leak (even if it was supposed to be a real hint)?

Attachments

D

Deleted member

For Sun & Moon, since I noticed trainers carry very few pokemon with them, I did a Nuzlocke run where I could only have 2 Pokemon until after the 1st Island was dealt with, only 2 Pokemon until after Kiawe's trial was completed, and then a max of 4 Pokemon that could be used after clearing Island 2. That way it scaled a bit better and I could only carry a maximum of 4 pokemon, chosen via Nuzlocke, at once (extras waited in the PC until they were inevitably needed). II thought it would be a decent challenge, but I ended up picking up a Magnemite at the School yard and it takes a long time for the game to be able to counter a Steel/Electric type.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's crazy that Saki has yet to be shown as an Assist Trophy yet. He's one of the few with perfect Attendance. He and Shadow missing is pretty damn suspicious. They were more than happy to disconfirm Waluigi and Lyn. It seems weird to me that Saki is missing. He was pretty popular during Brawl speculation, and so was Simon. So, maybe he's playable?

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Ok Smashwiki, now it's getting ridiculous. How is this even considered a leak (even if it was supposed to be a real hint)?
The term "leak" has lost all previous meaning. Now it's just "info found before official announcement." which means website mistakes (hello Yoshi: Crafted World) and possible hints now fall under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom