• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It's never stated where that war was, but it doesn't seem to be Kanto.
Let's remember that Surge is not even Kanto-born, as he's called the Lighting American and has a distinct non Japanese name in the Japanese game (Matis). He may fighted in Pokemon Vietnam War for all we known, there's nothing "DARK" or "GRITTY" about Kanto in Red and Blue aside from Team Rocket being assholes

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
XY weren't that bad they were just bland, if anything.

That and it started the bad trend of Pokemon games getting a ****ty post game that only appeals to the folks who love competitive battling.
Just had to ruin the remake of my first PKMN-game and my most fave Gen up to this point...

Dunno if I'll be glad or just annoyed that Sinnoh-remakes will be probably handled much better. ORAS though, I kinda wish they'd give another go because right now they hold the title for worst remakes in Pokemon-history.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Melee is an unbalanced game but hundreds of thousands of people still get hype for it even after all these years. Don't know what you guys are talking about lmao
At EVO, Melee top 8 included: A Falco, A Jigglypuff, A Shiek, A Captain Falcon, A Peach, A few Foxes, and a Marth if I remember correctly

And even despite that, Melee is absolutely broken and anyone of the top players would tell you that they'd love actual Nintendo support to change that

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what he also stated, the Pokémon 2019 game is for fans that are more HARDCORE. Those are the games you guys are anticipating for since E3 2017, and those are the games that you should be more concerned for the difficulty.
On that note, a friend of mine won't buy a Switch until he's certain that Pokemon 2019 isn't too drastically different in terms of gameplay. What the gameplay will be like is probably the bigger concern, since it's been rumoured a while back that it'd be closer to action RPGs.

Hate to be that guy, but when did this become Pokéboards?
It happens every so often when people have no news or ran out of things to talk about. At least this isn't /v/ (yet).

Anyway, I think the only other logical human additions as playable Pokemon characters are the Masked Royal and Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm serious it's canon
That just means that he was in a war at some point.
Is it shocking someone called "Lieutenant Surge" in English has been in a war
His old Japanese gym leader title before Let's Go was "イナズマ アメリカン! " - "Inazuma American" - Lightning American lol

If we're gonna sit in a circle and talk about questionably canon things, he's fought in an American Unovan war. Nowhere near Kanto. Lol.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I mean, Surge is just saying he fought in a war... Doesn't tell us where it was or it's even remotely hinted that it was in Kanto.

It's far from canon but there's room for speculation.
A war taking place is canon

Also the backstory with the 3 legendary dogs that died during a war burned and Ho Oh bought them back to life or something the tower had recently burned down and wasn't repaired.

Also it's mentioned again in Vermilliom the old guy with the Machop they're rebuilding.

Umm old guy in gen 7 the immoral guy mentions a war too.

The war is canon at this stage

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
Giovanni. It would give Pokemon a definitive villain, and would no doubt introduce Ground type Pokemon into Smash, my favorite type.

If he had a rotation of 3, like Red/Leaf, I imagine it would have to be Persian/Nidoking/Rhydon.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Also the backstory with the 3 legendary dogs that died during a war burned and Ho Oh bought them back to life or something the tower had recently burned down and wasn't repaired.

Also it's mentioned again in Vermilliom the old guy with the Machop they're rebuilding.

The legendary dog story had nothing really to do with a war from what I remember, they were just stuck in a burning building.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wish Normal type was super effective against a type.
They had the main gimmick of having a insane movepool and boosted STAB attacks with them since the first game. That's why Pokemon as Taurus where so damn strong. Nowadays they seem underwhelming yes.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Right, forgot we’re all supposed to be pretending we don’t care about the Direct. I hardly think I was minimizing anyone’s struggle or loss of life by presenting my theory, if anything I was trying to consider how much worse things might be for the company and the image it’s trying to present and the schedule it’s trying to keep.

Oh, sorry, I mean “haha guys which Pokémon do you want to play as???” :)

Just ****ing ban me, I’m done with this site and I’m sick of boredom bringing me back to it.
I do care, but your theory is overcomplicating what is just common sense. It's very clear they sacrificed their schedule for what is definitely the greater cause, not just because it might have Isaac.

osby

Smash Obsessed
At EVO, Melee top 8 included: A Falco, A Jigglypuff, A Shiek, A Captain Falcon, A Peach, A few Foxes, and a Marth if I remember correctly

And even despite that, Melee is absolutely broken and anyone of the top players would tell you that they'd love actual Nintendo support to change that
How can you change the balance of a 17 year old game?

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'd take Steven as the next Pokémon trainer for Smash. He'd definitely have his Metagross and Aggron, and then maybe Claydol. Hopefully mega evolution would be incorporated, that way there's an excuse for more people to say Mega Metagross.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
Not going to lie. This guy would be my first pick:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

AZ's war was literally thousands of years prior to X and Y. That wasn't Surge's war.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Man, you're talking about 4 different things entirely.

First of wall, a war DID take place, but it might have been forever ago.

The 3 dogs story is ancient, the tower burned down 150 years ago and has nothing to do with Lt. Surge's war

I don't think the old guy ever says rebuilding, just that they're building something more there.

The guy in Gen 6 is 3000 years old lol.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I love how we're arguing over whether or not a war occurred in Kanto to justify RBY using guards to block your progress. Like can't we just admit there's not a deep reason for this?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Worse? Forgive me if I appear rude, but why do you think it's the worst one? Gen 6 did it right by doing an trasition to 3D.
"Improved" graphics a better game does not make. You get an oversaturation of random Pokemon, a meh story, a lame team in Flare, and a mostly forgettable cast.
And about those 3d models...a LOT of Pokemon lost their color and personality thanks to the bleached models and uninspired standing animations. Marshtomp is possibly the best example of the color loss, so it actually looks like a zombie just standing there. And many of the flying Pokemon lost out with their soaring models that don't show their entire bodies; you can't even tell what Xatu is supposed to be.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Every time I go check on /v/ I wonder how many of you here are going over there to vent uncensored. Sometimes I’m like...that seems like uncensored Arigarmy...that one is like CutieGwen with a verbal bedazzlement.

I'm serious it's canon
I bet it was those damn Unovans!

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Adding to the list of people replying to you:

Surge's war isn't AZ's (gen 6) war, which took place thousands of years in the past. Surge's war also has absolutely nothing to do with Kanto, so it doesn't at all imply Kanto is recovering from a war.
The dogs didn't die due to war, they were burned in a building.

I mean come on my dude
Just admit that Gen I also had arbitrary road blocks. It's a ****ing rpg lol

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
First of wall, a war DID take place, but it might have been forever ago.
I think it was stayed all the games that place around the same time.

No reason the war wasn't worldwide like world war 1 and 2 were for us.

I'm fairly certain they're still rebuilding or else I can't see how realistically team rocket can take over a while city and the military and police doesn't step in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
No because he'll cut the content and expect us to buy the expansion pass to get the rest
Oh, so Thanos is already in charge of all video games, gotcha.
What would be an optimal difficulty curve in Pokémon games? Maybe like this?

1st gym = Level 10
2nd gym = Level 20
3rd gym = Level 30
4th gym = Level 40
5th gym = Level 50
6th gym = Level 60
7th gym = Level 70
8th gym = Level 80
Elite Four = Level 90
Champion = Level 100
The issue with this is how grindy the game would be, unless the routes between Cities were absolutely massive. Also, if the E4 were Lvl ~90 and the Champ was Level 100, you'd almost certainly lose to the Champion unless you really knew what you were doing.

You have to keep in mind that gaining levels gets gradually more difficult as you get higher leveled, unless the enemies are consistently higher levelled than you.

It's better to be something like this.
1st Gym = Level 10
2nd Gym = Level 18
3rd Gym = Level 25
4th Gym = Level 32
5th Gym = Level 39
6th Gym = Level 45
7th Gym = Level 51
8th Gym = Level 56
Elite Four = Level 61
Champion = Level 65

You can then have a Post-Game that takes you to Level 100.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

I'm fairly certain they're still rebuilding or else I can't see how realistically team rocket can take over a while city and the military and police doesn't step in.
And I can't fathom why ten year olds are responsible for saving the region, sometimes even the world.

It's Pokemon, a game where cute and cool creatures fight each other. Stop looking so hard into its lore.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

It is stated NOWHERE that any of those events take place during the same time, in fact the exact opposite, each legend has a stated time period which conflict with each other.

Just the immortal guy, his war ending and him becoming immortal coincide, meaning his war wa slike 10,000 year ago, it has nothing to do with the sarge.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I wish Normal type was super effective against a type.
I wish their type chart nulified itself. Like, for example, Normal is imune to Ghost, and Ghost to Normal. Fighting is effective against Normal, and Normal against Fighting. Steel and Rock resists Normal, and Normal resists Steel and Rock.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

It was stated quite literally the opposite, in fact. Some games overlap, others take place several years later. You also just gracefully ignored that most of the reasons you stated are just wrong lol.

There are wars that aren't worldwide, most of them, in fact.

And they are not rebuilding at all. Team Rocket is just an evil mafia that took control over a region of not-Japan, by doing underground shady business. Not much unlike real Mafia and Yakuza.

Nothing supports what you're saying.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since when did this thread transition over to Pokemon game discussions? There should be a thread for such topics at the NintenZone forum.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
And I can't fathom why ten year olds are responsible for saving the region, sometimes even the world.

It's Pokemon, a game where cute and cool creatures fight each other. Stop looking so hard into its lore.
All I'm saying is in canon a war took place and Pokemon and humans fought in it. If Lt Surge was stationed in another region it's fair to assume it was a world wide war. So it's fair to expect some roadblocks for people's safety.

This isn't to defend gen 1 I know it's not perfect but the roadblock isn't one of the issues it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom