• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

It's crazy that Saki has yet to be shown as an Assist Trophy yet. He's one of the few with perfect Attendance. He and Shadow missing is pretty damn suspicious. They were more than happy to disconfirm Waluigi and Lyn. It seems weird to me that Saki is missing. He was pretty popular during Brawl speculation, and so was Simon. So, maybe he's playable?
I'd love for Saki to be playable, but there's a difference between between a character from a dead franchise that was niche even in it's home country vs the second most popular Sonic character suddenly being gone.

Saki being missing shouldn't be any more strange than Ray Mk.III and Custom Robo content being missing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another problem with Saki too that decreases his chances is unlike Isaac. He hasn't been promptly that requested nor up there in the ballot. I don't see his chances being likely. He's probably returning as an assist.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Looking back on the leak I posted a few pages back, I realized Skull Kid’s Katakana name is written wrong. It uses タ (“ta”) instead of カ (“ka”) after the ス (“su”). So basically Skull Kid’s Katakana name is written all wrong

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Looking back on the leak I posted a few pages back, I realized Skull Kid’s Katakana name is written wrong. It uses タ (“ta”) instead of カ (“ka”) after the ス (“su”). So basically Skull Kid’s Katakana name is written all wrong
Google Translate confirmed?

Chrono.

It's written correctly.

Skull Kid in Japan is called Stal Kid.

EDIT: It doesn't really make a difference, mind you. I googled that and found it in 3 seconds lol.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not the exact same..each one had a few important differences.
Honest to God, I didn't notice a single difference.

I was confused by why Square Enix even had their own E3 conference when they gave almost all of their stuff to Microsoft and didn't say a thing about FF7.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
D

Deleted member

Did you remember to turn off the Exp.Share, or was Magnemite just that good? SM has a few decently challenging bits early on, and if you don't use the Exp.Share, then enemies get pretty overleveled late game.

Anyway, trainers generally having only one or two pokemon is probably one of my biggest gripes with SM, and I say that as a huge fan of those games. It kind of takes away from the way z-moves are balanced. Not to mention how a Z-move's animation stops being fun to watch after you've used it like a million times already. On the other hand, wild pokemon are higher levels then they would be in previous games and the SOS system means that they can get pretty dangerous, especially if you're unable to bring them down fast enough or can't run away.

As far as using fewer pokemon is concerned though, I think there is an NPC in BW who suggests using a team of only three pokemon through the entire game, making they point that using fewer pokemon will mean that the experience gained won't be spread as thin. So it's funny how that's an actual valid strategy suggested by a previous game itself.
I did remember to turn off Exp Share. I think what it was, was that I got lucky. It was a Modest Magnemite and having Electric attacks early on, coupled with Steel Defense, and 'Sturdy' as an ability (so even in dangerous situations, he was impossible to 1-hit KO), meant that he leveled extremely fast and was able to tank whatever he felt like and dish out damage like a monster. The moves were kinda barren, only having Electric & Steel, really, but with Litten being my other Pokemon (who has a pretty wide movepool), it was more than enough. Top that out with Wishiwashi as my 3rd Pokemon and the team was a dominant force even with only 3 members. My last member was another beastly tank of a mon, Golisopod, so when they got high leveled (since there were only 4 to level), they were nigh unstoppable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
However, Sakurai is a fan of Sin & Punishment.
Sakurai is a fan of dozens of games. Man's a big video game nerd. If being a fan of series helps a character's chances, well, it doesn't make the competition too small.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Whoa 50+ page jump

What happened?

I know it’s not the direct new date being announced

But Thursday is looking,promising of when it is.

Plus platoon 2 data miners are speculating Thursday as well

Chrono.

Whoa 50+ page jump

What happened?

I know it’s not the direct new date being announced

But Thursday is looking,promising of when it is.

Plus platoon 2 data miners are speculating Thursday as well
The only "leak" that seems legit so far is the Pokemon one on 4chan.

But its just Pokemon related. no Smash in it.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

I was confused by why Square Enix even had their own E3 conference when they gave almost all of their stuff to Microsoft and didn't say a thing about FF7.
Someone pretty big at SE said they felt like FFVII was announced too early.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
I really liked Team Skull, so I would say one of the grunts, Plumeria or Guzma

Officer Nanu was a great character too. In the anime he
Gets called up by Giovanni, but he gives no crap and hangs up on him]

Would fit with the amount of alolan pokemon showing up

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Annnnnnd my disappointment in humanity returns.

God. Damn.

Someone pretty big at SE said they felt like FFVII was announced too early.
I'm aware of that, and that FF7 has gone through a major overhaul. My point is that they didn't need to have a press conference at all. They gave away their best games to other conferences, then didn't show up with one of the two major things people wanted.

It'd be much less disappointing for SE fans if they hadn't shown up at all, like they already had for years before. Showing up carries new expectations that they clearly weren't prepared to meet.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've noticed how this thread's poll has gradually gotten more and more votes in the negative end in recent days, I don't think people know it was intended for the 8.8.18 Direct and just answer the second option in a "yeah, where the heck is the Direct?" manner of way lol.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

There's literally world that didn't appear until another trailer and so on. I mean, people that care about KH noticed so that point is kinda moot.

D

Deleted member

Eat a ****ing whopper.

If gamefaqs keeps sinking any lower they'll be on the other side of the planet.
He spelt 'civil' wrong. Pretty sure its just a troll topic; I refuse to believe that anybody is stupid enough to believe that it has a plausible chance of working. I left Gamefaqs a long time ago because 90% of the threads are ridiculously stupid topics like that one or things like "Corrin is now a kumquat. Would you replace her with Hitler?"

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I also remember wanting to explore Iris with her Dragon PKMN but apparently she's hated to hell in West. :urg:
I think it's just her anime half that's hated more. Pokémon Black and White (anime) was hated as a whole especially Ash for:

1. Losing to a level 5 Snivy, with a Pikachu who took on legendary Pokémon and won
  2. Bringing one Pokémon to a Gym Battle despite having many more Pokémon that could battle
  3. Walking out in the middle of said Gym battle to go to the Pokémon Center to get more Pokémon to battle with
  4. Completely forgot everything he knew about battling from Kanto to Sinnoh.
  5. And despite Lucario being my favorite Pokémon (though I wish it's speed and attacks were faster in Smash), it had hurt to see one Lucario steamroll through Ash's team at the Pokémon League, and barely broke a sweat.

As for Anime Iris I liked her, up until the point she kept bagging on Ash despite being his friend, and made her catchphrase: "You're such a kid Ash!" and constantly uses it over and over again despite not being any older than Ash, and Ash being more experienced than her. I just wanted him to humble brag about his past wins, just once to shut her down.

Iris in the game is cool though, I like her. Considering she acts more mature, yet still keeps her playful personality. I don't see why she should be hated.
I remembered being completely dumbfounded, and surprised (in a good way) when Alder was gone and standing before me was Iris as the Champ. I really enjoyed fighting her when she became the Champion too, the background of the battle was full of moving stars and Cosmos, and her theme song was competitive, yet fun.
They should definitely add this to Smash Ultimate's music list.
hated turn-based RPGs", but Pokemon was his favorite series
That like me, strangely enough. I don't like turn based RPG battles, as much as real time RPG battles/hack and slash, unless there's a collection mechanic like Pokémon where you can capture/recruit various monsters and allies for your team. Or a very rare exception.

It's why I'm the one only one on the planet, who prefer/thinks World of Final Fantasy is more fun than Final Fantasy 7, doesn't help that I haven't played Final Fantasy 7 either because of the turn based combat *runs before the angry mob kills me*

D

Deleted member

Losing to a level 5 Snivy, with a Pikachu who took on legendary Pokémon and won
I still don't get why people choose to forget the fact Zekrom had removed Pikachu's electricity before this when they mention this battle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's written correctly.

Skull Kid in Japan is called Stal Kid.

EDIT: It doesn't really make a difference, mind you. I googled that and found it in 3 seconds lol.
Is the difference between the way “Shadow” is written between Black Shadow and Sonic’s Shadow legit too?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

A few different worlds and cutscenes were shown.
The biggest one being the Pirates of the Caribbean world with pirate costumes for Sora, Donald, and Goofy only being shown in the last trailer.

FFVII Remake is in development hell, likely due to Nomura's perfectionism like happened with Final Fantasy versus XIII before it became Final Fantasy XV under a new director and finally finished.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Is the difference between the way “Shadow” is written between Black Shadow and Sonic’s Shadow legit too?
Yes. Shadow (Hedgehog) is a weird case on how it's usually written

Edit: Oops! It's the other way around, it's Black Shadow's that's not usually how it's done. Maybe they're interchangeable, I'm not sure. But they're both written right

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
We appreciate it if users don't try to snipe at others and instead actually responding to their points. If what a user says is inappropriate, just report it, do not respond.
Same man, **** people. With every "Good" person there's a million ****wads like this
You just jump on any chance to hate-monger don't you

Untouch

Smash Master
something would have be an an advertisement to be false advertisement, a direct announcement isn't a commercial advertisement

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
I’d pick either Wally or Wallace, due to personal bias, or the X/Y trainer... also due to bias.
Kukui would be pretty great too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom