• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
He's been nerfed pretty heavily bro In a game where most fighters have gotten buffs
I don't know why everyone says this. Everyone always overestimates nerfs and says a character is butchered when a couple things get nerfed. At the moment, his Illusion not going through shields seems to be a bug, making his only confirmed nerfs being his tilts having worse knockback and angles for follow ups, Illusion having more start-up and up air killing later. He's had a couple buffs to things like Shine and his Up Smash range too, so it hasn't been all nerfs like Bayo.

I don't think Fox is that much worse, its just that the new mechanics reduce Fox's advantages that he had in Smash 4, like his initial dash, walk speed and jump squat, which are now less impressive vs the rest of the cast, as well as the obseletion of pivots and perfect pivots now that you can perform any action out of a dash. Fox is not bad, he's just underwhelming because his best traits are now normalized, and his comboes are weaker.

He still has crazy good movement, insane frame data, a decent projectile, reliable finishers in Up Air and Up Smash, a decent recovery, excellent tools for boxing and playing footsies and just an overall versatile kit. You can't do as much off of Down Tilt, Illusion or Up Tilt as before, but once the meta plays out I bet he'll still be high tier.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
You know, we are all thinking that a direct reveal is happening at night, but if I remember right, didn't the initial one happen at 10 in the morning?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Why can't we have Codecs yet? I think this means that there are some characters in limbo of making it in or not that haven't been revealed yet and they want to save everyone's time OR they want to wait near the end because it's probably really low on their to-do list.

I'm gonna ****ing miss them if they don't come back.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
All right

I think we can compare "iconicness" to the 3rd parties in smash.

Hhmm.. yeah Soap doesn't come close to 'em. Perhaps Bayonetta is debatable buuuuut her name is in the IP's name sooo

:ultcloud::ultryu::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsimon: are all huge gaming icons and recognized by plenty of people.

:ultbayonetta: if it weren't for bayonetta 2 most people wouldn't have heard of her but she's like not as recognizable as her fellow colleagues Kratos and Dante but she's pretty known.

:ultrichter: the fella is an echo so i'm not counting him.
Bayo is almosta a Nintendo character right now, thats why she is in.

I think RIchter is pretty famous in japan, that's why he still makes sense, I guess.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The worst part? Bonk's (cancelled) last game was going to be about stopping a giant meteor from hitting the planet. Yeah...
Tell me about it... it still stings.

This is sometimes why I don't exactly like Bomberman being associated with Konami mainly these days.

Hudson Soft died for your sins, Konami...

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I don't think Fox is that much worse, its just that the new mechanics reduce Fox's advantages that he had in Smash 4, like his initial dash, walk speed and jump squat, which are now less impressive vs the rest of the cast, as well as the obseletion of pivots and perfect pivots now that you can perform any action out of a dash. Fox is not bad, he's just underwhelming because his best traits are now normalized, and his comboes are weaker.
I still think he's viable but like you've said the new mehanics hurt him in a game where nearly everyone has been buffed greatly I feel Fox will suffer this liberation. Who knows maybe Falco will shine though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Worse than cool tattered cape that TP Ganon had though ( also Ike and Chrom, interesting ).
Let a man revel in his carpet okay, he destroyed a lot of Hyrule he didn't think of getting a cape until after.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Remember when David Hayter accidentally "leaked" Jigglypuff back in the lead up to Brawl? They might be doing codecs and having David do lines later in development to avoid something like that happening again since they clearly want info tightly under wraps. But who really knows. All I want is just codecs to come back in some way in Ultimate...

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't know why everyone says this. Everyone always overestimates nerfs and says a character is butchered when a couple things get nerfed. At the moment, his Illusion not going through shields seems to be a bug, making his only confirmed nerfs being his tilts having worse knockback and angles for follow ups, Illusion having more start-up and up air killing later. He's had a couple buffs to things like Shine and his Up Smash range too, so it hasn't been all nerfs like Bayo.

He still has crazy good movement, insane frame data, a decent projectile, reliable finishers in Up Air and Up Smash, a decent recovery, excellent tools for boxing and playing footsies and just an overall versatile kit. You can't do as much off of Down Tilt, Illusion or Up Tilt as before, but once the meta plays out I bet he'll still be high tier.
Nah, Fox illusion isn't a bug. Watch Ike's trailer and you'll see it stopped in front of his counter to activate it properly.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Please, stop doing that, it's annoying and misleading.
I am sorry for being so annoying and rude. Forgive me for my rudeness. But it seems like there may still be hope. Please don't brush me off, I'll explain in a minute.

So, do you remember that the original date was delayed? Well, I've kind of noticed a pattern. When Nintendo has information, the company will tweet. However, sometimes, it will go very silent for alot, then announce a Direct.
This tweet was the last one, before they announced the original date of the Direct: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1037067838836494336

When Nintendo goes silent, it's usually awhile before they announce a Direct. Usually though, they tweet each 30 minutes or 1 hours, depends a lot. nintendo might even tweet after 2 hours or 3. However, Nintendo has been silent since yesterday at 15:00, in my timezone. The last tweet was that Smash one.

I'm not saying there definitely should be a direct, but I'm just forming a possible theory about the Direct dates. It is possible that we might hear about one, though it would be very late at my time (Midnight, for me). For me, it's 18:21 right now. But, Nintendo did announce directs in unusual times.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I still think he's viable but like you've said the new mehanics hurt him in a game where nearly everyone has been buffed greatly I feel Fox will suffer this liberation. Who knows maybe Falco will shine though.
Falco looks sick, if only for his sweet new rapid jab finisher that gives him the coolest rapid jab in the game. He looks to have some useful buffs, especially his Blaster end lag.

I personally hope Wolf will shine through. I also hope for some adjustments to Fox before release to give him some combo ability back, as outside of Foxcopter spikes, there was nothing broken or jank about him, just a really solid fighter.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm actually kinda surprised this no new Codecs things has JUST NOW become relevant. We in the Snake Thread knew about that interview a long time ago. What made it become so relevant all of a sudden?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Quick question: When did people say Famitsu would leak again? I think people said it would be around Wednesday morning, right?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I'm actually kinda surprised this no new Codecs things has JUST NOW become relevant. We in the Snake Thread knew about that interview a long time ago. What made it become so relevant all of a sudden?
If it was from a couple of months ago then David is probably being asked to record lines for them later. It'd be strange to cut codecs, as everyone loved them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It’s funny the series I want in Smash the most is Dragon Quest But I’m having trouble thinking up a good stage.
Why not Zenithia? There’s a whole trilogy named after this castle in the sky.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
He looks to have some useful buffs, especially his Blaster end lag.
I heard his infamous dair has a much faster frame start up around the same as brawl but has Smash 4's powerful knockback, his Blaster shots indeed have little to no landing lag he can be really good this smash.

I'm potentially looking at maining him depending on how good his buffs are.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Nah, Fox illusion isn't a bug. Watch Ike's trailer and you'll see it stopped in front of his counter to activate it properly.
It could be shortened just for artistic licence to make Ike look impressive since its his trailer. I'm sure you can more easily shorten its distance in this game considering the longer start-up window. It wouldn't be the first time they've undersold a move to amp up the presentation of the other fighter.

That said Sonic's Spin Dash and Bayonetta's Heel Slide can't go through/follow-up against shields anymore so it could be intentional, but I don't feel Illusion was ever overpowered enough to merit the kind of nerf those moves had. If its intentional, its an odd nerf.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know Codecs and Guidances weren't really "staples" but

This thing is.

Iridium

Smash Hero

So somebody on Reddit noticed how the electric effect seems to stay on a character when they get Screen KO'd. I need to see if more aesthetic changes like this exist.

Last edited:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
You know, we are all thinking that a direct reveal is happening at night, but if I remember right, didn't the initial one happen at 10 in the morning?
That is correct it was announed at 10 am ET. I'm not even sure Nintendo knows when they're going to announce the next direct (jk). But seriously it could be announced whenever, nobody knows. I would have expected an announcement already if it were going to be today though.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

So somebody on Reddit noticed how the electric effect seems to stay on a character when they get Screen KO'd. I need to see if more aesthetic changes like this exist.
Actually, I posted it 5/10 pages ago, but I was ignored :(

Um, guys, can I please break the silence?
There are a lot of new, minor details in Smash Ultimate. For example...

In that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_o2ke6J0ec&feature=youtu.be&t=172 at that time, Pikachu does a screen KO to Ryu. The minor detail is that he's shown being eletrocuted.

Cute, yet deadly PIkachu.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Connery "rates the renders", Ultimate edition:

:ultmario: - 8/10. Shows his athletic abilities but the serious look remains jarring for the character, despite being a Smash staple. An improvement on Smash 4's.
:ultdk: - 10/10. Finally a render that captures his personality: confident, strong, but goofy and aloof.
:ultlink: - 8/10. Link's pose is good, but the angle bothers me a little for some reason.
:ultsamus: - 10/10. Like DK, I feel this is the first render to properly capture her character. A confident pose but with poise.
:ultyoshi: - 9/10. Yoshi's always been fairly expressive in his renders, but this gets his go-lucky nature better.
:ultkirby: - 10/10 - I didn't like the direction with sitting Kirby for Smash 4, but this one...perfect.
:ultfox: - 7/10. Smash 4 Fox's render was perfect because it didn't have the Blaster. Yes, it's been in Smash since the beginning, but he doesn't even use it in SF.
:ultpikachu:- 10/10. Finally doesn't look like a mindless robot like Brawl and to a lesser extent Smash 4. He's smiling and looks cute doing it. That's what he is.
:ultluigi:- 6/10. Yeaaaah jokes aside, this is another awkward Luigi render for seemingly no reason. He's clumsy but it looks weird by itself. Brawl render still best.
:ultness: - 8/10. Looks like the fan-made render which I find kind of funny/lazy, but it's fine.
:ultfalcon:- 10/10. His Sm4sh render was one of the best, but this one oooozes Falcon. I don't think they'll ever be able to top it.
:ultjigglypuff:- 9/10. I prefer the Sm4sh render, but this one does justice for her playful side.
:ultpeach:- 8/10. Not a fan of the added parasol, and I don't think it captures her personality just right with the pose.
:ultdaisy:- 9/10. Much better job with Daisy, however. You can tell she wants to party.
:ultbowser:- 10/10. That's more like it. Bowser's serious but also not entirely threatening. This one gets it.
:ulticeclimbers:- 7/10. The angles of the duo bother me. They should have been more centered.
:ultsheik:- 10/10. Well she looks like a ninja, and that's what all you need.
:ultzelda:- 10/10. Elegant, but confident. This render is one of the best.
:ultdoc:- 7/10. I find it somewhat lazy they re-used a victory pose for this, and it also looks funky as a render due to the thinking pose.
:ultpichu:- 9/10. Cute, but something seems to be missing. I can't even pinpoint what.
:ultfalco:- 10/10. This IS Falco. A sense of arrogance in his pose and he looks fresh.
:ultmarth:- 10/10. I enjoy the pose a lot due to the sword's stance. This tells you it is a classy swordsman.
:ultlucina:- 9/10. Like Marth, but seems more subdued and lifeless. Kind of a weird direction for her. Still pretty good, though.
:ultganondorf:- 10/10. Like DK and Samus this is vindication.
:ultmewtwo:- 9/10. Slightly prefer the Sm4sh direction but still very solid.
:ultroy:- 8/10. Eeeeh I find it a bit weird for a pose. It's his ftilt animation too.
:ultgnw:- 9/10. It's Game & Watch. All of em are good.
:ultmetaknight:- 9/10. Good, but prefer Smash 4's. The pose is awkward on the left side somewhat.
:ultpit:- 10/10. Fits him much better. It shows you what he does and that he's a heroic figure.
:ultdarkpit:- 10/10. Smash 4 render was pretty bad and this is an improvement on it due to showing some sort of action.
:ultzss:- 10/10. I enjoy the addition of her paralyzer in the foreground.
:ultwario:- 10/10. Wario's personality is on point in this render. You can tell he isn't a serious guy here.
:ultsnake:- 7/10. It's not...bad but it's a strange direction to go for him. At least he's doing something unlike the Brawl render.

Phew...I'll do the rest if bothered later.
:ultdarksamus: - 10/10. One of my favorites. The way it is positioned makes it look cool, and that's how DS should be.
:ultyounglink:- 10/10. Love the stance. Sword and shield well positioned and overall demonstrates who he is well.
:ultchrom:- 9/10. Looks like he got out of bed, but the pose fits him.
:ultike:- 10/10. The way the sword and Ike are positioned makes this render a good one.
:ultpokemontrainer:- 9/10. I like that they are all doing something - attacking as a team. One fault is that it makes the individual Pokemon's renders look out of place.
:ultdiddy:- 10/10. This is Diddy Kong Diddy Kong . Fun and sporty.
:ultlucas:- 8/10. The addition of the snake is perplexing and it makes the stance jarring.
:ultsonic:-10/10. Not much of a Sonic guy but this one captures the cocky attitude he has whilst showing some action.
:ultkingdedede:- 10/10. Simple, but effective.
:ultolimar: - 7/10. It does show you that Olimar uses Pikmin, but it's doesn't really work as a render.
:ultlucario:- 8/10. It's alright, but the Smash 4 render is better. I think the pose there shows his character more.
:ultrob:- 10/10. It shows ROB as a sentient being rather than a mere robot like Smash 4 and especially Brawl.
:ulttoonlink:- 9/10. Looks too angry for Toon Link but I dig it. The way the sword is positioned makes the render tick for me.
:ultwolf:- 9/10. Beastly, but the position of his head makes it look small kind of?
:ultvillager:- 10/10. His Smash 4 one was good, this one improves it. The addition of the net and the stance are definite improvements.
:ultmegaman:- 10/10. The pose and the addition of him doing an action makes it another improvement on the previous one.
:ultwiifittrainer:- 9/10. Definitely in character and looks more natural than Smash 4's which was a bit awkward.
:ultrosalina:- 10/10. Luma and Rosalina are positioned much better here than in Sm4sh. It shows more that they are a team.
:ultlittlemac:- 10/10. A fan of the boxing stance he has. The Smash 4 render was jarring a bit.
:ultgreninja:- 10/10. Didn't re-use the Pokemon artwork. Shows more life the way he is now.
:ultmiifighters:- 10/10. They show more life.
:ultpalutena:- 10/10. Wow she's actually doing something in the render. The way everything is angled is perfect.
:ultpacman:- 10/10. Another Smash 4 newcomer with a better render. Like the rest, they simply show more life.
:ultrobin- 10/10. This one actually makes him look like a fighter rather than a librarian.
:ultshulk:- 10/10. One of my favs. The way he positions the Monado and his stance are baller.
:ultbowserjr:- 9/10. Showcases his personality better, but I find the render somewhat awkward due to him jumping out of the kart ever so slightly.
:ultduckhunt:- 6/10. Not a fan of this one. The stance is awkward and the angle is off-putting with the rest of the cast. Smash 4's was much better.
:ultryu:- 10/10. This one shows he means business better than the previous installment. Everything about it is perfect.
:ultcloud:- 10/10. Better than Sm4sh's for the pose alone. Love that the sword is more in focus with Cloud.
:ultcorrin:- 9/10. Slightly better than Smash 4's, but roughly the same quality really. Female Corrin's was nerfed hard, though.
:ultbayonetta:- 10/10. The direction for this one is much better. Shows the sass AND class of Bayonetta exceptionally well.
:ultinkling:- 9/10. It's what you'd expect from the Inklings.
:ultridley:- 10/10. I enjoy how menacing he looks. The mouth is key for this render.
:ultsimon:- 9/10. Not much to say here.
:ultrichter:- 10/10. The pose is slightly better than Simon's for me.
:ultkrool:- 9/10. The details on his scales pop here and I enjoy sassy Rool, but he's missing a goofy element.

Alright that's done jeeeeez. Has a Direct been confirmed since lol.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I know Codecs and Guidances weren't really "staples" but

This thing is.
Really hope the Star Fox comms make a return., but since all the Star Fox content in Smash Ultimate is based off Star Fox Zero, including the stages, I'm not sure. They could either just bring back the old comms and call it a day, record new comms with the Star Fox Zero voice actors, or just give Star Fox the shaft again and cut the comms entirely. The latter wouldn't surprise me.

New comms would be very much appreciated. That way, the comms chatter matches the newly designed stages. Though I'd be happy as long as they return.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Alright that's done jeeeeez. Has a Direct been confirmed since lol.
No. A Direct has not been confirmed yet, but there are still red flags that point out to a Direct announcement.

NoA has been silent for 27 hours and 47 minutes now. When NoA goes silent, it's usually for a Direct announcement. It's like, they are in the second phase.
The phases goes like this:
1. Tweet, then start tweeting a lot.
2. Go silent for very long period.
3. Announce the Direct.

That's how NoA has been. Oh, and contrary to popular belief, NoA does actually tweet on weekends, just not as much.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
No. A Direct has not been confirmed yet, but there are still red flags that point out to a Direct announcement.

NoA has been silent for 27 hours and 47 minutes now. When NoA goes silent, it's usually for a Direct announcement. It's like, they are in the second phase.
The phases goes like this:
1. Tweet, then start tweeting a lot.
2. Go silent for very long period.
3. Announce the Direct.

That's how NoA has been. Oh, and contrary to popular belief, NoA does actually tweet on weekends, just not as much.
Dude, just stop. You’ve been on this thing for days now. If this is a joke, it’s not funny anymore nor is it cute.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Every one is gradually going insane from the postponement of the direct. The Direct can't come soon enough. :laugh:
Yep, looks like for once I'm actually the only sane one around here:)...

Wait a minute...

If everyone's insane and I'm the only sane one around, then that means no one is insane, and that means...

I'm still insane by default!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom