• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Every one is gradually going insane from the postponement of the direct. The Direct can't come soon enough. :laugh:
You're like a baby, watch this *almost all my internet activity is on the browser*
The Wii U's got a decent browser, for what it is. It's a shame that more up-to-date sites (like Wikia) have broken on it.

Let me spin you a yarn. First I used an old laptop to browse the internet, and used the Wii U's browser alongside to watch Youtube videos (I used to be one of those crazy people who really likes gathering tabs for some reason).

Then I realised that my laptop's ZoneAlarm Firewall and Antivirus hadn't updated in over a year, got a bit spooked, and decided to use the Wii U exclusively for "a while" (which ended up being, like, a year and a half).

Then I remembered that I have an Alienware laptop that I was neglecting, and moved to that (but still used the Wii U for videos, just 'cause), I joined SmashBoards during this time.

Then the Alienware's WiFi connector broke, and I spent about two weeks with just the Wii U, using it even for SmashBoards; this was around early July (when I made my Project Proposal thread).

After about a fortnight of Smashboards on Wii U, I got an HP laptop from my Dad's work (he works as a IT Technician for the Local Hospital, and they were throwing out a bunch of laptops, he scooped one up for me).

It has a Core i5 Processor (neat), but only 2 gigs of RAM (bad). Whaddaya gonna do? It's also like half the size of the Alienware.

At least it's a laptop with absolutely zero faults (almost all of my laptops up to this point have had some kind of issue. The second one I had couldn't retain a charge at all, which meant it needed to be plugged in at all times to remain on.

Naturally, the power connector was also loose.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Lockpicking: 100

While we wait, how many more sets of characters will we get? With under 4 months to go, I can see 2-3 more. Overall one to two more newcomers, maybe 3 or 4 echoes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Squid Sisters would be kinda cool but also lame because they lack voice acting, so it would be the lazy route. They could go with a number of options if all they have us do is read it. I'm not sure what they'll go with if anything this time around.

Holding out for more Palutena's Guidance personally.
I mean, the reason I said the Squid sisters was because in case they pull another "This character is from another dimension!" trick with the DLC characters since with them, they can just update them without bringing back the voice actors over and again.

That said, I do agree with you and would prefer something with proper voice acting. Including for DLC characters.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But does Sakurai want to have humans with skull heads in his game? I mean, sure, there's Death from Simon's trailer, but that looked more cartoonish, whereas Scorpion looks more realistic, kinda like Snake
Scorpion technically isn't a human most of the time.
Death isn't really cartoonish either so I don't think it's much of a problem.

It's stuff aside from Scorpion that holds him back really.

Untouch

Smash Master
The skeleton thing is only a problem in China, but I think they've recently kind of toned that down a bit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I hope they at least keep the old Shadow Moses Island codexes. I need that Snake voice goodness.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Scorpion technically isn't a human most of the time.
Death isn't really cartoonish either so I don't think it's much of a problem.

It's stuff aside from Scorpion that holds him back really.

Oh okay. I just couldn't see Sakurai wanting to put Mortal Kombat in the game. It just doesn't fit Smash Bros to me

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I will miss the Snake Codec calls if they end up being gone in the final game (we already lost his sweet *** and I’m not ready to lose another thing now that he’s back)...and they better not lay a hand on them Palutena’s Guidances or else I will fight random humans to the death

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lockpicking: 100

While we wait, how many more sets of characters will we get? With under 4 months to go, I can see 2-3 more. Overall one to two more newcomers, maybe 3 or 4 echoes.
I think we'll get two more after the Direct, one each for October and November. I'm not sure if I think both are going to be Smash Directs, the October one might just be a Lucina/Robin deal where they just stream the trailer, but I'm certain the November one will be.

Today we're exactly as many days away from E3 as release, so we're effectively at the halfway point, how many character we'll get in this upcoming Direct will tell us a lot about how many more newcomers we can expect overall imo. If we get more than just one we might have underestimated the total amount by a bit.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What is CERO?
From Wikipedia: "The Computer Entertainment Rating Organization (CERO) is a Japanese entertainment rating organization based in Tokyo that rates video game content..."

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So is the Demo really just the E3 one? Dang, that's a disappointment... I guess it means we'll have to wait it out some more...

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well, here is some :ultfox:/:ultpokemontrainer: gameplay. I kinda was looking up any videos I could find. Have fun analyzing!

Edit: Fox is still really good, don't lie. Pokemon Trainer too. I wonder if some top players still think he's trash.
There's also this:

Z-drop bomb shenanigans might actually be crazy. And does it look like Link is running as fast as Fox? It almost seems like it...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's also this:

Z-drop bomb shenanigans might actually be crazy. And does it look like Link is running as fast as Fox? It almost seems like it...
Guess the clawshot was heavy enough to hold him down

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's a metal chain longer than him. It makes sense that it slowed him down.
And now he can move more freely...time to strip him down to his shorts for true speed (not Sonic speed, but close enough to it)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Am I the only person who didn't know how to activate codecs/guidance? I never listened to them so I guess it's not a big deal for me...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Am I the only person who didn't know how to activate codecs/guidance? I never listened to them so I guess it's not a big deal for me...
While playing as Pit or Snake, you press the bottom of the d-pad (or as well cultured people say...down taunt) until they move into a pose (Pit praying and then a fist pump, while Snake takes a knee). Same thing with Fox/Falco/Wolf for their series stages only they start to shake like they have too much power consuming their soul

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
They are easter eggs, after all. You just go to Shadow Moses/Palutena's Temple and taunt as Snake/Pit.

And I supect a lot of people just found them on Youtube instead of looking at 30+ piece of conversation in game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think we're in for at least one Smash-only Nintendo Direct, which will provide more information on the "Spirits" mode. However, I think the schtick with Spirits will be something that showcases every fighter in the roster. All characters will be revealed before delving into Spirits...that's my thought.

The Final Smash Direct before release could absolutely showcase the first DLC character (which I could totally see being Banjo & Kazooie for example).

Assuming Vergeben is correct, between the next 2-3 Directs, we'd get Incineroar, Ken, and Isabelle. Assuming the character from the Direct coming up isn't one of them, that's another character. Vergeben did mention a "new Square Enix character", but who knows what that could end up being (my hope is Geno).

I think it's entirely possible that the character lineup from this point forward could look something like this:

September- Skull Kid or Isaac
October- Incineroar, Isabelle, Ken
November- Geno, Spirits Mode

That's just what I think we could be seeing. There isn't necessarily a ton of rhyme or reason aside from speculation but that's what I'm thinking.

Iridium

Smash Hero
He's been nerfed pretty heavily bro In a game where most fighters have gotten buffs
His ground game still seems pretty good. Sure, he got noticeable nerfs, but I don't think he's suddenly trash if not a lot people haven't used him well. I say we wait and see for him.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
They are easter eggs, after all. You just go to Shadow Moses/Palutena's Temple and taunt as Snake/Pit.

And I supect a lot of people just found them on Youtube instead of looking at 30+ piece of conversation in game.
They were also pretty random to activate.
Sometimes you'd get it instantly, sometimes after a few tries.
Other times you have to do a minute or so of taunting before it pops.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just repeatedly press the taunt buttons until Pit or Snake do a special pose in their home stage.
I do wish there was a... less random and button mashy method to trigger them though...

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
He's been nerfed pretty heavily bro In a game where most fighters have gotten buffs
Rumours of Fox's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He's had a mix of buffs and nerfs.

His Up Smash and Up Air do less knockback, and he can't throw out side B with reckless abandon anymore.

Meanwhile, he's had QoL improvements to his jab and aerials, including his B-air which was low key already pretty good.

The characters inherent design is pretty difficult to make actually bad. Even in Brawl, a game where multiple characters in the game had 0-death grab combos on him, he was still in the upper half of the cast.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I think that in honor of Cirno Day today and the fact that we still don't have the Direct out yet... I think we should talk about the chance of Reimu getting into Smash Bros and other Touhou things

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I think that in honor of Cirno Day today and the fact that we still don't have the Direct out yet... I think we should talk about the chance of Reimu getting into Smash Bros and other Touhou things
Reimu getting in smash? 2%

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
According to snakes voice actor there will be no codecs in smash ultimate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._hayter_voice_of_snake_confirme_no_codecs_in/
let it to some people taking some things out of context. Maybe SourceGaming should do a special "Hayter Didn't Say That" video so people don't have to worry
Hayter said in the video that Nintendo of America have yet to contact him for some codecs recordings
its very likely they'll do some last minute recording nearing the release

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
let it to some people taking some things out of context. Maybe SourceGaming should do a special "Hayter Didn't Say That" video so people don't have to worry
Hayter said in the video that Nintendo of America have yet to contact him for some codecs recordings
its very likely they'll do some last minute recording nearing the release
Hayter actually did "acidentally" leaked Jigglypuff while talking to a fan during the Brawl days, so I bet they're keeping a close eye on him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Those characters look cute. What game is that? I recognize that first character. Wasn't he a trophy in Smash?
The first character is Goemon from the Mystical Ninja Goemon. He didn't get a trophy in Smash (he's a Konami character), but he's had a few games on Nintendo systems. (including a GBA kart racer with Dracula and Metal Gear's Cyborg Ninja)

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
so what's that Scorpion rumor people been talking about again?
and has the Karate Man leak been debunked yet? because i hear the image contained a hosting server url, that actually similar to the one the official website uses
Hayter actually did "acidentally" leaked Jigglypuff while talking to a fan during the Brawl days, so I bet they're keeping a close eye on him.
this is a pretty likely reason too
just keep quiet for a bit, don't confirm anything just yet, let Sakurai/Nintendo announce it first.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I wonder if them possibly gutting out Snake codecs (and by proxy Palutena's Guidance, maybe) is due to the fact that there's a lot more characters this time, so they don't remotely have any time to record new dialogue. It's likely that they looked at all the characters and went "**** this, doing Kirby hats is enough work as it is" and cut their losses.

But you never know, maybe they might surprise everyone by sneaking them in time after all.

We have officially hit critical levels of Nintendodirectitis and we should all consider going to a hospital or be in withdrawal. We are out of our minds.
Am I the only one here who didn't suddenly stop playing games to pass the time (I spent the whole morning playing some Rayman Legends)? More people ought to take a break from the loony bin as long as nothing's happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom