• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hayter actually did "acidentally" leaked Jigglypuff while talking to a fan during the Brawl days, so I bet they're keeping a close eye on him.
Good old days when people thought they can actually cut Jigglypuff.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The first character is Goemon from the Mystical Ninja Goemon. He didn't get a trophy in Smash (he's a Konami character), but he's had a few games on Nintendo systems. (including a GBA kart racer with Dracula and Metal Gear's Cyborg Ninja)

We need a Mystical Ninja stage, or atleast a bunch if their baller ass music.

I hope during a second Smash direct that we get the stage creater confirmed returning.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
There's also this:

Z-drop bomb shenanigans might actually be crazy. And does it look like Link is running as fast as Fox? It almost seems like it...
I don't now what you're seeing but Fox is definitely running way faster than Link. You are probably noticing the initial dash of Link being much faster which is universal to everyone.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
We need a Mystical Ninja stage, or atleast a bunch if their baller *** music.

I hope during a second Smash direct that we get the stage creater confirmed returning.
Give me pretty much any song from any of the Goemon games, and I'll be 100% satisfied for my Goemon wishes.

Mystical Ninja had so many good songs that would work with Smash.
It's such a missed opportunity if none of them make it in.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Give me pretty much any song from any of the Goemon games, and I'll be 100% satisfied for my Goemon wishes.

I also did think of a good idea for a stage.

It could be flaming Edo Castle, with Impact as a stage hazard slaming his fists down

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I have a feeling a announcement is going to happen in like, 29 minutes. Yes, I know that I am impatient, but to be honest, NoA has not tweeted since yesterday at 15:00. Power on Japan is up now, so today/tomorrow may be the last chance.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The Japanese are pretty good at recovering from earthquakes but I'd still be surprised if the Direct was rescheduled for sooner than Thursday or even the weekend.
Actually the famisatu comes out Wednesday and usually spoil/leak stuff in them especially smash

So either Monday or Tuesday logically

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, I wonder if them possibly gutting out Snake codecs (and by proxy Palutena's Guidance, maybe) is due to the fact that there's a lot more characters this time, so they don't remotely have any time to record new dialogue. It's likely that they looked at all the characters and went "**** this, doing Kirby hats is enough work as it is" and cut their losses.

But you never know, maybe they might surprise everyone by sneaking them in time after all.

Am I the only one here who didn't suddenly stop playing games to pass the time? More people ought to take a break from the loony bin as long as nothing's happening.
I think this is a legit concern.

I doubt they'll be cut just like that but maybe less time might be put for them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's currently 12:30 A.M. in Japan. If we hear anything, it'll be this evening or overnight EST.
12:30 Sunday or Monday?

(Stupid spherical planet)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I also did think of a good idea for a stage.

It could be flaming Edo Castle, with Impact as a stage hazard slaming his fists down
I think that's a great idea tbh
I think I played Goemon's Great Adventure first, so that would be even more nostalgic for me.

Either way, one of the reasons I wan't Goemon to get in is so his final smash can be Impact doing his laser beam or multipunch, but after a brief introduction with a very abbreviated version of I Am Impact playing.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I don't now what you're seeing but Fox is definitely running way faster than Link. You are probably noticing the initial dash of Link being much faster which is universal to everyone.
That's part of what I noticed. I focused on the entire thing, so I looked at his speed (overall) like that. I do see the confusion.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I have a feeling a announcement is going to happen in like, 29 minutes. Yes, I know that I am impatient, but to be honest, NoA has not tweeted since yesterday at 15:00. Power on Japan is up now, so today/tomorrow may be the last chance.
It's midnight in Japan, you aren't getting an announcement for a couple of hours.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think that's a great idea tbh
I think I played Goemon's Great Adventure first, so that would be even more nostalgic for me.

Either way, one of the reasons I wan't Goemon to get in is so his final smash can be Impact doing his laser beam or multipunch, but after a brief introduction with a very abbreviated version of I Am Impact playing.
DA DA DASH

At this point I’d even take Goemon as an assist.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
DA DA DASH

At this point I’d even take Goemon as an assist.
My hype for seeing him in smash would be so high that even as a normal trophy I'd probably burst into hypey tears

Also, Impact as an assist trophy would be my preference if that was the limit tbh, because then I think we'd be able to get away with more I Am Impact and stuff. Actually, it would be pretty funny, cause it'd probably work like how your partner mecha worked in Great Adventure where you could see them actively attacking even and stuff in the background. So, you'd see impact walking around in the background of the stage occasionally shooting snot coins bullets at the stage and some punches, finishing off with his laser or multi punch and ****ing off.

pls sakurai

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Connery "rates the renders", Ultimate edition:

:ultmario: - 8/10. Shows his athletic abilities but the serious look remains jarring for the character, despite being a Smash staple. An improvement on Smash 4's.
:ultdk: - 10/10. Finally a render that captures his personality: confident, strong, but goofy and aloof.
:ultlink: - 8/10. Link's pose is good, but the angle bothers me a little for some reason.
:ultsamus: - 10/10. Like DK, I feel this is the first render to properly capture her character. A confident pose but with poise.
:ultyoshi: - 9/10. Yoshi's always been fairly expressive in his renders, but this gets his go-lucky nature better.
:ultkirby: - 10/10 - I didn't like the direction with sitting Kirby for Smash 4, but this one...perfect.
:ultfox: - 7/10. Smash 4 Fox's render was perfect because it didn't have the Blaster. Yes, it's been in Smash since the beginning, but he doesn't even use it in SF.
:ultpikachu:- 10/10. Finally doesn't look like a mindless robot like Brawl and to a lesser extent Smash 4. He's smiling and looks cute doing it. That's what he is.
:ultluigi:- 6/10. Yeaaaah jokes aside, this is another awkward Luigi render for seemingly no reason. He's clumsy but it looks weird by itself. Brawl render still best.
:ultness: - 8/10. Looks like the fan-made render which I find kind of funny/lazy, but it's fine.
:ultfalcon:- 10/10. His Sm4sh render was one of the best, but this one oooozes Falcon. I don't think they'll ever be able to top it.
:ultjigglypuff:- 9/10. I prefer the Sm4sh render, but this one does justice for her playful side.
:ultpeach:- 8/10. Not a fan of the added parasol, and I don't think it captures her personality just right with the pose.
:ultdaisy:- 9/10. Much better job with Daisy, however. You can tell she wants to party.
:ultbowser:- 10/10. That's more like it. Bowser's serious but also not entirely threatening. This one gets it.
:ulticeclimbers:- 7/10. The angles of the duo bother me. They should have been more centered.
:ultsheik:- 10/10. Well she looks like a ninja, and that's what all you need.
:ultzelda:- 10/10. Elegant, but confident. This render is one of the best.
:ultdoc:- 7/10. I find it somewhat lazy they re-used a victory pose for this, and it also looks funky as a render due to the thinking pose.
:ultpichu:- 9/10. Cute, but something seems to be missing. I can't even pinpoint what.
:ultfalco:- 10/10. This IS Falco. A sense of arrogance in his pose and he looks fresh.
:ultmarth:- 10/10. I enjoy the pose a lot due to the sword's stance. This tells you it is a classy swordsman.
:ultlucina:- 9/10. Like Marth, but seems more subdued and lifeless. Kind of a weird direction for her. Still pretty good, though.
:ultganondorf:- 10/10. Like DK and Samus this is vindication.
:ultmewtwo:- 9/10. Slightly prefer the Sm4sh direction but still very solid.
:ultroy:- 8/10. Eeeeh I find it a bit weird for a pose. It's his ftilt animation too.
:ultgnw:- 9/10. It's Game & Watch. All of em are good.
:ultmetaknight:- 9/10. Good, but prefer Smash 4's. The pose is awkward on the left side somewhat.
:ultpit:- 10/10. Fits him much better. It shows you what he does and that he's a heroic figure.
:ultdarkpit:- 10/10. Smash 4 render was pretty bad and this is an improvement on it due to showing some sort of action.
:ultzss:- 10/10. I enjoy the addition of her paralyzer in the foreground.
:ultwario:- 10/10. Wario's personality is on point in this render. You can tell he isn't a serious guy here.
:ultsnake:- 7/10. It's not...bad but it's a strange direction to go for him. At least he's doing something unlike the Brawl render.

Phew...I'll do the rest if bothered later.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
My hype for seeing him in smash would be so high that even as a normal trophy I'd probably burst into hypey tears

Also, Impact as an assist trophy would be my preference if that was the limit tbh, because then I think we'd be able to get away with more I Am Impact and stuff. Actually, it would be pretty funny, cause it'd probably work like how your partner mecha worked in Great Adventure where you could see them actively attacking even and stuff in the background. So, you'd see impact walking around in the background of the stage occasionally shooting snot coins bullets at the stage and some punches, finishing off with his laser or multi punch and ****ing off.

pls sakurai
My want has always been the aforementioned stage with Goemon playable and then a Yae assist trophy where she attacked with her katana, protected her summoner with thekatana shield move and shot at people with her rocket launcher

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So as a fun aside, in my life I've had a total of four Smash Bros-related dreams, one of which happened last night, and they usually take a standard concept and make them really weird.

Back in like 2011, after Smash 4 was announced, I had a dream about the 3DS version, where it had GBA graphics, a new Rawk Hawk-Super Macho Man hybrid character was playable, and, despite having been advertised in the dream, Mewtwo wasn't playable, to which Sakurai laughed and said "why should the trailers be dictated by what's in the game?" in an interview.

The second dream was about around E3 2014 where I had a dream that Chrom was playable...but as an alternate universe Suburban Dad Chrom who fought with a garden hose and spatula and wore socks and sandles alongside cargo shorts, with the tag line, "Chrom Grills the Competition."

The third dream happened shortly after the March Direct, where I dreamed Zelda got her BotW outfit, but BotW Zelda was also a separate newcomer, riding on a horse and wielding a staff like a Fire Emblem troubadour.

Now what's weird is that each was strangely reverse-prophetic. Mewtwo did have a trailer before 4's release...kind of. It was the announcement of him being DLC. Chrom DID get in unexpectedly...but not as a playable fighter. BotW Zelda didn't take up two playable spots...and instead took up none.

So on to last night, where I had a dream that they announced three characters: Isabelle, Sora, and...wait for it...Henry Fleming and John Henry as a Double-Dash styled tag-team character riding a wheeled, mobile version of the S.T.E.A.M. Cannon. And I remember being so damn hyped lol.

So clearly this means we're actually getting a new tag team character, a kart character, a Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. character, or in general a surprise addition that fights in a way no one expected. :p

All in all I give it a "we need the Direct"/10

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I'm assuming I didn't miss anything. Did the Karate Joe leak get debunked beyond PushDustin's own opinions about it?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know, I wonder if them possibly gutting out Snake codecs (and by proxy Palutena's Guidance, maybe) is due to the fact that there's a lot more characters this time, so they don't remotely have any time to record new dialogue.
Again, I should point out how this isn't a problem for Snake. When you're a VA for MGS, you are used to a much larger work load.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My want has always been the aforementioned stage with Goemon playable and then a Yae assist trophy where she attacked with her katana, protected her summoner with thekatana shield move and shot at people with her rocket launcher
That would be cool too.

Lots of potential with Goemon.
Shame how unlikely representation is. :(

If he gets in I think I'll be like 300x more hype than if my next most wanted(s) get in.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It’s funny the series I want in Smash the most is Dragon Quest But I’m having trouble thinking up a good stage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So as a fun aside, in my life I've had a total of four Smash Bros-related dreams, one of which happened last night, and they usually take a standard concept and make them really weird.

Back in like 2011, after Smash 4 was announced, I had a dream about the 3DS version, where it had GBA graphics, a new Rawk Hawk-Super Macho Man hybrid character was playable, and, despite having been advertised in the dream, Mewtwo wasn't playable, to which Sakurai laughed and said "why should the trailers be dictated by what's in the game?" in an interview.

The second dream was about around E3 2014 where I had a dream that Chrom was playable...but as an alternate universe Suburban Dad Chrom who fought with a garden hose and spatula and wore socks and sandles alongside cargo shorts, with the tag line, "Chrom Grills the Competition."

The third dream happened shortly after the March Direct, where I dreamed Zelda got her BotW outfit, but BotW Zelda was also a separate newcomer, riding on a horse and wielding a staff like a Fire Emblem troubadour.

Now what's weird is that each was strangely reverse-prophetic. Mewtwo did have a trailer before 4's release...kind of. It was the announcement of him being DLC. Chrom DID get in unexpectedly...but not as a playable fighter. BotW Zelda didn't take up two playable spots...and instead took up none.

So on to last night, where I had a dream that they announced three characters: Isabelle, Sora, and...wait for it...Henry Fleming and John Henry as a Double-Dash styled tag-team character riding a wheeled, mobile version of the S.T.E.A.M. Cannon. And I remember being so damn hyped lol.

So clearly this means we're actually getting a new tag team character, a kart character, a Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. character, or in general a surprise addition that fights in a way no one expected. :p

All in all I give it a "we need the Direct"/10
I need Dad Chrom in my life.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Boy, I really wish Konami was more robust today and didn't ditch like half of the franchises that they were so known for back in the 90s. I truly miss Goemon and Co. today due that, especially with how just PERFECT they'd be in Smash...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It’s funny the series I want in Smash the most is Dragon Quest But I’m having trouble thinking up a good stage.
It's hard to think of a stage that accurately represents the whole of DQ when you have like like 10 games with entirely different locales.

Maybe the final boss where it's always inexplicably somewhere in space with a bunch of floating rocks around?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's hard to think of a stage that accurately represents the whole of DQ when you have like like 10 games with entirely different locales.

Maybe the final boss where it's always inexplicably somewhere in space with a bunch of floating rocks around?
I was mainly trying to think of a stage based off 8 since it’s the best game.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Disappointed by not surprised by the lack of Codec calls; They retired Campbell from the series considering his Japanese voice actor is dead (Then again, to my knowledge, Mei Ling and Otacon's aren't so maybe it's just that they didn't want to out of respect to Campbell's actor? IDK)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd be okay with no Goemon if they got at least one Hudson Soft character in compensation.

>In before it's someone from Bloody Roar
Bloody Roar 2 was my childhood... :cry:

Also I'm gonna miss Bonk at least being part of other platforming legends - he's truly mere history now.

If only Bomberman was allowed to be playable in this...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bloody Roar 2 was my childhood... :cry:

Also I'm gonna miss Bonk at least being part of other platforming legends - he's truly mere history now.

If only Bomberman was allowed to be playable in this...
The worst part? Bonk's (cancelled) last game was going to be about stopping a giant meteor from hitting the planet. Yeah...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Disappointed by not surprised by the lack of Codec calls; They retired Campbell from the series considering his Japanese voice actor is dead (Then again, to my knowledge, Mei Ling and Otacon's aren't so maybe it's just that they didn't want to out of respect to Campbell's actor? IDK)
We don't know if Codecs are certainly won't be in the final product yet.

Also, even if they can't record new lines for Colonel, maybe other characters can take more conversations, idk.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
We don't know if Codecs are certainly won't be in the final product yet.

Also, even if they can't record new lines for Colonel, maybe other characters can take more conversations, idk.
Eh, fair enough. I was probably overthinking it. And you are right, there's more characters that just the colonel. I do hope we get Codecs because I adore Paul Eiding's voice and it'd be great to hear him back as Colonel should they decide to include him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom