• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
They could be hiding Final Smashes that are lame and the same as another character's Final Smash...I have that gut feeling that they are hiding Peach's Final Smash because it's not done yet and it will be a redone Peach Blossom...and Daisy will share it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
https://smashboards.com/threads/nintendo-direct-on-thursday.458093/

Now that I see it again, it got everything wrong except the date.
It was only a fluke that FFXV Pocket Edition came out for Switch, and Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes just screams “safe bet”.

Gillybal aside, I’m having trouble believing the “move set” for Isaac in the leak. A whole FOUR Final Smashes aside, what else would switching between Psynergy types do? Incineroar’s “moveset” sounds surprisingly bland too, no mention at all of Darkest Lariat?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't mean this as a slam- but how do you qualify the above comments as

It is fully a lack of vision in a moveset, which you describe.

Frogger is much more iconic than Sheriff; I don't even know who is "square from adventure" without googing.
Frogger was one of the biggest games of all time, sales wise, particularly in the arcade era. Relegating him to the distinction you gave other characters is without merit.

Quick idea. The basis of Frogger is about jumping and evading death. In fact, at its time, it was the game with the most unique ways to die! Most games only allowed a couple of types of deaths (going off screen, or falling off the cliff). Frogger was in part known for the variety of deaths: I believe there were nine unique ways in total.

• Since we never got a real JUMPMAN character out of Mario, I'd love to see Frogger have a moveset based around evasion. The true 'glass cannon' of the roster, he would have a myriad of moves to jump and avoid combat for different situations.
    • Some of those jumps and evasions could even take an offensive tone, such as jumping out of the frame of an attack while calling an car to charge forward (he would be jumping out of the way of the car and the opponents attack while the car charges forward).
  • His aerial game would also be highly powerful, with most of his powerhouse attacks coming from above.
  • The amount of Death possibilities would be a fun visual mechanic to Frogger as well, allowing him a lot of variety in animation that could be infused with the personality he started to show in some of the newer games.
  • As for a grab- creative liberties could be taken with the tongue, seeing as he is a frog.

There ya go. Or ya know, anything else. Again, it just sounds like a lack of imagination to say a character has no basis being playable. It just means you cannot see it.

Now, Needing to be an Assist Trophy because it is more fitting for the gameplay of the character, in some way? That I understand. I may not agree, but at least it isn't about any individuals lack of creativity in accurately reflecting the character.
Not knowing who a character is does not mean it is not important or popular. And you left out galaga. I can list many charactets in the same boat as frogger.

As for moveset, it is nice, but i find it lacking. He is not that interesting of a character. Summoning cars only goes so far. He needs more than that. Even pacman has references in his moveset to spice it up.

Frogger is best an AT. Like L block or pong.

D

Deleted member

Dont really see how it can see Direct Details wrong since we havn't even seen if yet. (Unless I'm misunderstanding you)
Some of the contents of the Direct have been leaked, yet this 'leak' has none of that stated.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I admit I reallyyyyyy want to know about whatever Smash character they were going to announce, but I don't think you should ruin your day just to be sure you are here when Nintendo will reveal something. The delay suck, and the wait for anything from Nintendo is indeed annoying, but I think what happened to Japan really break what Nintendo had planned for Thursday, that and the other company revealing games and/or details that were probably going to be shown in the direct in a more "exciting" way, yeah, I can get why we haven't got anything clear as of now.

?????????????

Smash Master
See, if we were just waiting for Smash content, we wouldn't be nearly as "fed up."

It's that we KNOW there's Smash content out there that is meant to be revealed and we just haven't seen it yet.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I actually can't believe it's taking this long to announce the new date for the Direct. I mean, maybe they push it back a whole week but that just seems pointless. Why not just have it tomorrow or Monday? Does it have to take place on a Tuesday or Thursday? I'm getting kind of impatient waiting on a date. If I knew the date then I wouldn't be impatient, I'd just have something to look forward to. But now it's just like. Soooo, what now? Doesn't help this is the first time this has ever happened.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't mean this as a slam- but how do you qualify the above comments as

It is fully a lack of vision in a moveset, which you describe.

Frogger is much more iconic than Sheriff; I don't even know who is "square from adventure" without googing.
Frogger was one of the biggest games of all time, sales wise, particularly in the arcade era. Relegating him to the distinction you gave other characters is without merit.

Quick idea. The basis of Frogger is about jumping and evading death. In fact, at its time, it was the game with the most unique ways to die! Most games only allowed a couple of types of deaths (going off screen, or falling off the cliff). Frogger was in part known for the variety of deaths: I believe there were nine unique ways in total.

• Since we never got a real JUMPMAN character out of Mario, I'd love to see Frogger have a moveset based around evasion. The true 'glass cannon' of the roster, he would have a myriad of moves to jump and avoid combat for different situations.
    • Some of those jumps and evasions could even take an offensive tone, such as jumping out of the frame of an attack while calling an car to charge forward (he would be jumping out of the way of the car and the opponents attack while the car charges forward).
  • His aerial game would also be highly powerful, with most of his powerhouse attacks coming from above.
  • The amount of Death possibilities would be a fun visual mechanic to Frogger as well, allowing him a lot of variety in animation that could be infused with the personality he started to show in some of the newer games.
  • As for a grab- creative liberties could be taken with the tongue, seeing as he is a frog.

There ya go. Or ya know, anything else. Again, it just sounds like a lack of imagination to say a character has no basis being playable. It just means you cannot see it.

Now, Needing to be an Assist Trophy because it is more fitting for the gameplay of the character, in some way? That I understand. I may not agree, but at least it isn't about any individuals lack of creativity in accurately reflecting the character.
Don't expect a Frogger argument from dragonscythe to progress anywhere, he is going to stick to Goemon no matter what. :p

Great play-style you made by the way!

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I actually can't believe it's taking this long to announce the new date for the Direct. I mean, maybe they push it back a whole week but that just seems pointless. Why not just have it tomorrow or Monday? Does it have to take place on a Tuesday or Thursday? I'm getting kind of impatient waiting on a date. If I knew the date then I wouldn't be impatient, I'd just have something to look forward to. But now it's just like. Soooo, what now? Doesn't help this is the first time this has ever happened.
I think I can wait a little more. I'd be lying if I'm not getting frustrated by this really tense waiting session, but the delay was very sudden for everyone including Nintendo, so I kinda understand. And I doubt that they are holding out the new date even though it's decided, Nintendo's not THAT dumb. It's a bummer that the delay happened, and that we're all put in this anxious cycle of checking Nintendo's Twitter page every 5 seconds, but I can't really complain. It isn't really their fault imo.

EDIT: Just to clarify since there might be some confusion;
When I said "wait", I meant "waiting for the date".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't mind waiting, I would just appreciate a date to know if I'll be able to watch it live.

Chrono.

Hey this random but... this was on 4chan

Has it been debunked yet?
Literally just posted the debunking on the last page lol.

But yeah, it's fake. The logo's design is what kinda deals the finishing blow here.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not many games can say they were plot relevant to an episode of Seinfeld. Frogger at least has that to show its iconicness.

Though considering it's Seinfeld, I'm using the word "plot" loosely, but still. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At this point I don't think there's anything wrong with getting excited considering we have plenty of reason to believe there was something Smash related in the Direct, to the surprise of no one. Sure, there are still repairs and efforts to fix all that has happened based on the disasters as of recent, and there's nothing saying we can't support those efforts while being impatient for the news we haven't heard yet.

That said, I can't help but feel we'll get something soon. I don't imagine they're going to wait too long to re-announce the Direct, as they still have a business to run and important content to announce. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they re-recorded some things (if not the whole thing) and will release it on Thursday at the latest. Any later than that, and it just seems absurd.

I think it's overly optimistic to expect it to drop this weekend (truthfully I'd love that), but we can dream.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Literally just posted the debunking on the last page lol.

But yeah, it's fake. The logo's design is what kinda deals the finishing blow here.
Oh LOL sorry...

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if we're getting the Direct anytime before Thursday. Considering they might have to reshoot some parts of the Direct (I mean they'll have to make a notice addressing the delay now, plus some of the stuff might need to be cut or remade since they are already out), maybe they could do it by Monday or Tuesday but at this point I think they'd just wait it out and not rush anything

D

Deleted member

Not many games can say they were plot relevant to an episode of Seinfeld. Frogger at least has that to show its iconicness.

Though considering it's Seinfeld, I'm using the word "plot" loosely, but still. :p
Confirmed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn’t the Best Buy demo period supposed to start today? Anyone know if the BB demos may have been delayed too or?

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I was asleep when you posted this reply, but think you could do one for mah gurl Elma? Bonus: you MUST include Tsuko G’s Uncontrollable cover
Gotcha. Coming soon enough!
None of those are gay icons how can any of them be fab?
Bandana Waddle Dee on the other hand will kill Memoryman and all the other homophobes standing in his way. True icon right there
Name a song more deserving to be in Smash than this one.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tomorrow we'll be just as many days away from the E3 reveal as we'll be from release, so the Direct, whenever it happens, is basically going to serve as the halfway point. It'll be interesting to see how much Smash content we'll see in it, it could potentially tell us a bit about whether we've over- or underestimated the amount of newcomers we'll get.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Off topic question, are the Smash Bros Limited Editions (both the one with the gamecube adapter and the one with the pro controller) sold out? Because i can't find them anywhere on Amazon

Iridium

Smash Hero
Off topic question, are the Smash Bros Limited Editions (both the one with the gamecube adapter and the one with the pro controller) sold out? Because i can't find them anywhere on Amazon
Not sure about that. If it sold out already (how?), they would probably restock them soon.

Edit: I neeeeeeed that Pro Controller.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

HOLES, I NEED HOLES

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Here in Germany it was sold out in 5 minutes on Amazon... And keeps being sold out that fast each time they restock it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Here in Germany it was sold out in 5 minutes on Amazon... And keeps being sold out that fast each time they restock it.
I'll probably have to go to an actual store to buy a copy. I hope the lines are at least a little generous...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I personally don't really care when the new date is, but I would like an announcement on said date so I and others aren't checking up like every half hour and can just have a time we know to check in on.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well, i was thinking about Digimon Survive.
If they show the game in the Direct, maybe Agumon has a chance...

Iridium

Smash Hero

I'm still not over that Bomber Man AT, man. It stung. :(
Well, Sakurai noticing him is a pretty telling sign, to be honest. Maybe next game for him. In that case, can anyone try and make up a moveset for him, if it hasn't been done already?

Well, it's a limited stock, so you won't be too much lucky. You just need to pray that there is someone kind.
Luckily, the game releases on a Friday, so I have more time, as I leave school after 12:30. Assuming GameStop (any of the ones I've been to) doesn't get flushed (BestBuy might) with customers, I could be good. I need to be quick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom